Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That reads less like an update on game servers and more like a weather forecast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
"Since the launch of Star Citizen Alpha 3.18.0 our teams have been monitoring how pretty much nothing works"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
We’re getting these errors. Hmm. Weird. drat it, who made this game?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
And by monitoring they mean let everything burn down over the weekend because they thought it would be a good idea to launch their self titled "biggest update ever" on a Friday evening.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CIG is just testing how much the whales will take before they buy another Idris

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Wasn't Derek Smart re-banned for doxxing some kid with the memorable line "That's him in the wheelchair"?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They still had a spike in funding. Like I said before, we better start writing our wills so that our next of kin can post here when SC enters Beta.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I've started getting ads for Star Citizen on YouTube, I guess they've had a large marketing push. The ad didn't look appealing/distinct in the slightest, but I've been off and on following star citizen for the last 5 years, so I'm for sure biased.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

holtemon posted:

Guys, listen. This outage is great for the following reasons:

colonelwest posted:

They still had a spike in funding. Like I said before, we better start writing our wills so that our next of kin can post here when SC enters Beta.

Once again, proof that making sure backers can't play Star Citizen is the best thing CIG can do for their bottom line. They make more money from people imagining what a great game it could be than they ever could from letting them see what a poo poo game it is.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

A Spectrum keyboard warrior posted:

CIG: A suggestion about the trials and tribulations of this weekend...

I hope CIG will consider doing a special video about the struggle they went through during this weekend with PES and migration... It would be interesting to have them describe what happened and to what level and extent they ended up having to go to resolve and fix the problems, including hardware and even recoding services etc. Not only would be interesting to hear the aspects of what it took and takes for something like this, but it would also show the community how hard stuff like this really is to accomplish.

There is a whole lot of angst among the community even though CIG AND many of us long time backers started warning people on what to expect even weeks ago. A video about what took place during this transition would go a long way, perhaps, toward showing the community what it took to get past this and even what lessons were learned as the project moves forward!

In fact, it might even be a good idea just because we still have a couple other major milestones to get through... everything from dynamic data processing to full on meshing... and perhaps backers would then realize just how involved all this is if CIG did a good video about what transpired and why with this PES changeover.

And yes, I don't mean today or next week they should release a video about. But later once things slow down and stabilize and things are back on track again.

Spectrum is still a source of solid gold comedy. What other game would produce comments this surreal after yet another failed launch? "Please, make a video about how's everything's hosed."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Trilobite posted:

Once again, proof that making sure backers can't play Star Citizen is the best thing CIG can do for their bottom line. They make more money from people imagining what a great game it could be than they ever could from letting them see what a poo poo game it is.
A horror movie is always more scary right up until you see the monster.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
CIG would of course paint themselves in a very sympathetic light about how hard game development is nevermind this update is years late and they chose to launch it on a Friday evening before everyone went home for the weekend so they did nothing for 2 days.

Although it would be funny to have a bunch of devs interviewed where they talk about just doing regular weekend stuff at home.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

CIG would of course paint themselves in a very sympathetic light about how hard game development is nevermind this update is years late and they chose to launch it on a Friday evening before everyone went home for the weekend so they did nothing for 2 days.

Although it would be funny to have a bunch of devs interviewed where they talk about just doing regular weekend stuff at home.

it is funny, but i also know from past sneak peeks from interviews and such that chris is the last person to be a 'nice' boss, guaranteed once he got wind of any issues he demanded an entire studio wake up and get to the office OR ELSE

and that will trickle down, if chris is an entitled asshat (and he is) then his underlings will become such because they think that's what a successful and great boss does

so every level of management in CIG is probably totally insufferable

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

i am a moron posted:

I have no doubt it will be successful, but I’ve played FO3/4 and Oblivion and Bethesda is def capable of making games that are terrible

While true, they typically don’t leech of whales for thousands of dollars for totes mcgotes real jpgs.

I mean apart from FO76 I guess.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

IAmThatIs posted:

I've started getting ads for Star Citizen on YouTube, I guess they've had a large marketing push. The ad didn't look appealing/distinct in the slightest, but I've been off and on following star citizen for the last 5 years, so I'm for sure biased.

Anyone wanna take guesses on how many millions of :10bux: were cashed in for youtube marketing alone?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually picked up FO76 recently for like $5 and... it's pretty good?

Like you can just play it as a single player Fallout game and ignore PVP entirely and it plays like a normal Fallout game.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Popete posted:

I actually picked up FO76 recently for like $5 and... it's pretty good?

Like you can just play it as a single player Fallout game and ignore PVP entirely and it plays like a normal Fallout game.

good... that's a strong word for the steaming pile....

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
idk I didn't really go into it with much expectation given it's lambasting at launch but it plays like a regular Fallout game if that's your jam. For $5 it's worth poking around in.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought they dumped most of the rpg stuff for murdering or something

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cutedge posted:

Star Citizen: The game would be done if it wasn't for the alpha

edit: I'm still in awe at how broke brained you would have to be to think that having to have a playable alpha would slow development down so that a game that has taken 12 years is now going to take 30. I mean, you have to have the playable alpha internally to test the drat game? maybe what's delaying it so much is having your devs make coffee makers when the server's underlying technology for feasible performance apparently isn't even started? seriously Star Citizen's development is the ceo of a company that builds houses going to a house with a concrete slab and 3/4 of the basic framing up and saying "ok next start painting the interior walls"

this dumb gently caress in the image is making me irrationally angry. He's defending the bullshit cig is doing and no doubt thinks it'll be the best drat space sim ever. Probably dedicated an unhealthy amount of his life to it.

And this absolute motherfucker just used lightyear as a measurement of time.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Yeah I mean I know they added actual NPCs and fixed a lot and now FO76 is apparently decent? I tend to hear good things about it anyway, at least recently.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Sankis posted:

And this absolute motherfucker just used lightyear as a measurement of time.

Haven't you heard of Star Citizen? It's the game that completed development in less than 12 parsecs.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RingedScratchyBadger-mobile.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Randalor posted:

So what was the whole story with Derek Smart again? Was it just that he also had a space sim game that actually came out combined with him having a massive ego, or was there more to the story?

I used to know it, but I've honestly forgotten and goons tend to be a bit more entertaining in their retellings. Though I will accept links to entertaining YouTube videos on the subject as well.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160926151354/https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/26/the-24-year-feud-that-has-dogged-star-citizen

What kind of horrible person denies a lapdog its rightful access to the lap? :colbert:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
So, with this phenomenal update how close are we to an MVP?

At this point I'm just expecting to see the rictus grin of Sandi, glossing over this debacle through gritted teeth as yet another completely unforeseen issue, which wasn't even their fault, really, so you know, buy an Idris.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I guess that depends on what counts as an MVP. They were promising 70 systems at launch in the Kickstarter more than a decade ago.

I reckon trying to make an acceptable MVP would require a lot of feature cutting. A lot of what they promised is conceptually absurd and isn't based in reality, but if they were to be honest and publicly state that it's unachievable and won't be worked on, their revenue stream would dry up.

It really feels like as long as CIG never admit that the project is unachievable, fools will continue to throw money at them and keep them on the gravy train for life.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The MVP is anything CIG can come up with at this moment.
The "viable" part is referring to their ability to create, not with any expectations from the backers. If they were able to create more, they would. Period.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm honestly surprised that CIG hasn't just said "gently caress it" and gone the procgen route for making the 70 systems. Even just as a "We used it to make the 70 systems, then went in and added the smaller bits and bobs to make it feel non-procgenned, then just exported that as the universe file."

I mean, it's not like procedural generating content hasn't been a thing since... uh... when did Rogue come out?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Probably cause it would cost tons of money and create 1,000x more bugs then they’re dealing with now

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

As the CIG motto goes: "Why do thing, when can do nothing."

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Wasn't Derek Smart re-banned for doxxing some kid with the memorable line "That's him in the wheelchair"?

that's him in the wheelchair
that's him in the spot light
losing his religion

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there an updated graph of Star Citizen's dev time compared to everything else in video games and computers? So one with the new Nvidia 4000 series cards and Windows 11

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that's him in the wheelchair
that's him in the spot light
losing his religion

Since I wasn't here yet, everytime someone posts "that's him in the wheelchair" the above quote is the only thing that pops into my mind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there an updated graph of Star Citizen's dev time compared to everything else in video games and computers? So one with the new Nvidia 4000 series cards and Windows 11

Star Citizen began development during Obama's first term.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Did it though? Or did development really start with patch 3.18 "Lasting Legacies" in 2023?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Timby posted:

That's ok because Todd Howard drew a picture of a spaceship in 1978.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
PC Gamer: The launch of Star Citizen's biggest update has been a shambles, and players are frustrated: 'This is embarrassingly bad'

And here we go

quote:

"Dozens of login attempts," AdmiralGrogan (opens in new tab) wrote on the official forums. "Managed to get in ONCE for 10 minutes and nothing could be interacted with. Terminals didn't work, Ship controls... missions... nothing. And then a 30k crash. This is embarrassingly bad, even by star citizen standards."

:allears:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2023

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly surprised that CIG hasn't just said "gently caress it" and gone the procgen route for making the 70 systems. Even just as a "We used it to make the 70 systems, then went in and added the smaller bits and bobs to make it feel non-procgenned, then just exported that as the universe file."

I mean, it's not like procedural generating content hasn't been a thing since... uh... when did Rogue come out?

I believe they can create a bunch of lifeless boring rocks, but they can't just plug them on the PU.

It's the same reason they can't release Pyro: they lack the technology to change server instances, something that was disovered 15 years ago but lost when the vanduuls raided the Blizzard servers.

Now, we wait for Server Meshing to save us, when CIG will finally figure out their basic network architecture and never ending content will be unleashed on us.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Popete posted:

They're using a version of Lumberyard (which is itself a fork of Cryengine) that they've made modifications too. Switching engines would probably help but no engine is capable of doing what they have said they would do. It's really more of a networking limitation than anything else.

Also you would first have to define what Star Citizen is which is difficult to do because CIG have promised and back tracked on so many things over the years that nailing that down into a list of things required for Star Citizen to be complete is basically impossible and CIG prefers that ambiguity because then nobody can ever truly say they've failed.

Wrong, they are still using an old version of cryengine, "switching" to lumberyard just gave them the license to keep using that version without paying Crytec. They have never used Lumberyard and never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sardonik posted:

yeah he ate a regular ban for that and then a perma for posting the linkedin page of a reddit guy who pissed him off by constantly claiming he worked for a major software company and bragging about how he helped mod some game or another lol