Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Couldn’t that minimum game rule backfire on players horribly? I’m thinking 4th year player that looks good for all-nba, but the coach keeps him under the games threshold so he’s not eligible for the rookie max.

Both the coach and players union would turn on the front office so hard if that was against their consent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/1635470146419531777?s=46&t=HMFDOfrxJixYv5dYyChCeA
Lmao Kidd has given up the season and found his excuse. He’d better not be the coach next season.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Blind Pineapple posted:

Couldn’t that minimum game rule backfire on players horribly? I’m thinking 4th year player that looks good for all-nba, but the coach keeps him under the games threshold so he’s not eligible for the rookie max.

Coaches are not interested in salary management, they are only concerned about winning games. A front office could possibly bully a rookie coach into not playing their best player, but I doubt it. A front office would not be able to keep a more established coach from playing whoever he wants.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
look, its not like it's anyone's job to win basketball games.

*I do think it's tough to revamp your team like that and expect everything to work right away but they probably should fire Kidd anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jason Kidd still has a job because then no one noticed the rotting corpse of Javale McGee as their big Move

(please don't look up how much money they gave him)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we've seen the derrick rose rule... now witness the Zion Williams Rule

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

(please don't look up how much money they gave him)

I mean, it's a bad contact but he's getting just 2x the vet minimum. That's not really going to hurt them in any way.

Bertans making over $4m per point per game is way worse.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

I mean, it's a bad contact but he's getting just 2x the vet minimum. That's not really going to hurt them in any way.

Bertans was a trade consequence, no one put a gun to the Mavericks head to make the McGee signing!!

Also they specifically signed McGee to be a starter because???

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

Bertans contract is worse but JaVale having to start for like a month hurt the team more.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
McGee was sought after specifically

Kyrie is 100% out after this season and Kidd should be thrown into a vat of poop

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the Mavericks don't sign Kyrie then they are basically giving up on Luka.

If Kyrie decides to walk then, lol. I guess play stupid games, etc

Kyrie has been playing great and now the things the Mavericks need can actually be found in the off season. The kind of move they made never results in same season contention.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lockback posted:

Kyrie has been playing great and now the things the Mavericks need can actually be found in the off season. The kind of move they made never results in same season contention.

I've been under no delusions that they could make it back to the western conference finals or anything, but at the going rate you can question if they're in danger of falling out of the playoffs. Amidst all of this are just some weird problems that Kidd is making for the team. Do they think Christian Wood is anything? Kidd is limiting his minutes and it seems if he can generate offense you should give him as much as he can get. "But does he play defense?" Does the team as a whole???

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wolves season in a single tweet:
https://twitter.com/DaneMooreNBA/status/1635437675598553089
There have been times this year where even bad defenses would keep the Wolves down through revolutionary techniques like "giving a poo poo", so I don't take these games for granted.

What I did like to see was Jaden wrecking the Hawks when they tried to hide Trae on him to start the game. Wolves are a different team when he's exploiting questionable defenders or creating for himself when they overplay Ant (or Rudy on the roll).

One interesting piece last week was Finch being asked if it'd ever be too late in the year to bring Karl back. The answer, in addition to "no", was that depending on any minute restrictions they may even have him come back off the bench for the first number of games like they did DLo at the start of Finch's tenure. As a firm believer that one underrated aspect of the Gobert acquisition is being able to mix and match the bigs, I love that. It should also give him some time to get familiar with things before the play-in or first round exit where the Wolves will get a much better sense of what this rotation needs in the offseason.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Lockback posted:

I agree and think I'd be more relaxed about this if it didn't all hinge on Mark Cuban successfully team-building instead of endlessly shuffling furniture around his superstar and hoping it'll all work out

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Shinjobi posted:

McGee was sought after specifically

Kyrie is 100% out after this season and Kidd should be thrown into a vat of poop

I read a blind item a while back that Kyrie is on his best behavior and will be gunning for a max from Dallas, once he gets that it will be back to letting the crazy shine. Full agreement about Kidd though.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
NBA March N/V: Total Accumulated Rainfall (est.): $50-60K

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dutchy posted:

I agree and think I'd be more relaxed about this if it didn't all hinge on Mark Cuban successfully team-building instead of endlessly shuffling furniture around his superstar and hoping it'll all work out

A fair worry though they actually have two actual stars now, and it's not a matter of expecting someone to randomly become one because you have them a big contract.

That need what, some bench playmaking and some size on the wing (which is actually hard to find) and a coherent system to play these guys. If they don't like Wood, then maybe some how for a sign and trade for a rotation piece or two? Though I don't know that Wood has a ton of value.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everybody on Atlanta kinda gave up in the first half when the 3s weren't falling. Though they did make a nice run when the end of bench guys for the Wolves were out there, which I hope helps answer the question "Why don't they play Garza/Minot/Knight more?" (Though Nate Knight rules).

Agree that there's lots they can do with KAT and the team is just so starved for offensive production it won't take much to be a net benefit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sorry Dejan but you were off about how much he lost at the club

https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/1635442271821922305?s=20

stump collector
May 28, 2007
He’s about to finish his counseling assignment real quick

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Let him have all of it, but only if he spends it all on one last, wild, debaucherous night of excess to try to expell it all from his system.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WhyteRyce posted:

Is it common to have contracts contingent on how well a player plays each season?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

qbert posted:

Is it common to have contracts contingent on how well a player plays each season?

It's built in to how max contracts work. https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-what-max-contract-nba

quote:

Another max contract is the one that guarantees a player 30% of the team's salary cap. Also known as the "Derrick Rose rule", under the new CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) guidelines from 2017, a rookie-scale extension can be worth 30% of the team's salary cap, instead of 25%, if the player satisfies certain criteria. The requirements are:

1) An All-NBA team selection (any of the three teams) in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.

2) A Defensive Player of the Year selection in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.

3) An MVP selection in any season from the player's second year onward.

As one can see, only elite players with accolades qualify for the 30% rule. Similar to the 25% rule, a player may take 25% of the salary cap or 105% of his previous year's salary. Luka Doncic of the Dallas Mavericks comes under this rule and he is expected to sign a massive deal very soon.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

WhyteRyce posted:

tatum over in the corner hopping up and down

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1635651483625484294?s=46&t=LREFgYg-CGSvtKMJbm2Kvg

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
oh he took it on the plane didn't he

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

oh he took it on the plane didn't he

nah I bet that's about substances

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, if it was a league CBA gun issue, then there would be absolutely no way someone would be hesitant to share and report information about it.

Really hope he figures his poo poo out, whatever it is.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Marc Spears is dumb

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm gonna put my bet down on cocaine but that's just my 1980s talking

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mdemone posted:

nah I bet that's about substances

If any of it is true, probably that or a mental health issue (or both) ; would explain him going to Florida for "counseling".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Ringer is out with their top 125 NBA player list. Due to forum rules on encouraging selfharm, I'm not linking it.

The following teams have 5 or more in the top 100:
  • Boston Simmonses (Tatum 7, Brown 21, Williams 56, Smart 62, Horford 76, Brogdon 78, White 82)
  • Golden State Warriors (Curry 4, Green 45, Klay 49, Wiggins 52, Looney 88)
  • Milwaukee Bucks (Freek 2, Holiday 32, Middleton 41, Lopez 53, Portis 98)
  • Toronto Raptors (Siakam 22, Anunoby 57, VanVleet 64, Barnes 69, Poeltl 92)
  • Minnesota Timberwolves (Ant 27, KAT 35, Rudy 50, Conley 80, McDaniels 87)
Join me in astonishment that nuGrantland would assert 2 bench players in Boston are actually better than the starters for most of the league! 100 is, of course, an arbitrary cutoff that leaves off multiple Celtics and Grizzes... but 75 would have left off 2 Wolves which would generally ruin the point of my exercise and top 90 would've been a bit too on the nose.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

the 'will ja make more money' storyline isn't good. memphis plays as good or better without him. the nba script this season is kinda mid ngl.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

temple posted:

the 'will ja make more money' storyline isn't good. memphis plays as good or better without him. the nba script this season is kinda mid ngl.
On that note, The Ringer including Green, Russell, and Fultz as top 125 guards but not Tyus is absolutely wild to me

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

temple posted:

Marc Spears is dumb

he is dumb but that doesnt mean he's wrong. fwiw he called the Kings a playoff (not play-in) team early in the season, about the only good call I've seen him make in a while

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

• Boston Simmonses (Tatum 7, Brown 21, Williams 56, Smart 62, Horford 76, Brogdon 78, White 82)
Join me in astonishment that nuGrantland would assert 2 bench players in Boston are actually better than the starters for most of the league!
idk those players are all pretty good, makes sense to me

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/tiwindisch/status/1635653233786978306?s=46&t=V-1Qym-RnM3cnZFv_cQbQQ

I think Pina’s voting for Jokic

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Wow. Him agreeing to this is like the biggest team building favor a star has done for a team since lebron took less so bosh could get paid in Miami

temple
Jul 29, 2006

"He humbles opposing big men with ox like strength" he wrote that with one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I had a vote I would've have went from voting Jokic to voting for anyone else after reading that.