Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

What the gently caress :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HonorableTB posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

Russian propaganda has been full mask off for a while, it's not surprising. That said, I kind of want to see that Prigozhin movie :allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CommissarMega posted:

Russian propaganda has been full mask off for a while, it's not surprising. That said, I kind of want to see that Prigozhin movie :allears:

there's already a Prigozhin movie

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
loving yikes on that tweet

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

This is a pro-Ukrainian account though, that's a really bad take I wouldn't have expected from EuromaidanPR

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

This is a pro Ukrainian account that made a very stupid and disgusting tweet, though.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635426158903803904
A russian, mystified at the innovation of the Ukrainians, curses and wonders why his bunch can't come up with weapons like this. It's SFW except for some cursing.

It's probably true but it also sounds like they blew them up themselves. "Yeah we were going to use these tomorrow to zerg rush Bakhmut, but wouldn't you know it, they got blown up by a drone that shoots RPGS, a weapon that totally exists"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HonorableTB posted:

This is a pro-Ukrainian account though, that's a really bad take I wouldn't have expected from EuromaidanPR

zone posted:

This is a pro Ukrainian account that made a very stupid and disgusting tweet, though.

Oh drat, I didn't realize that, in which case the :stare: is fully-deserved.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Schweinhund posted:

It's probably true but it also sounds like they blew them up themselves. "Yeah we were going to use these tomorrow to zerg rush Bakhmut, but wouldn't you know it, they got blown up by a drone that shoots RPGS, a weapon that totally exists"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

EuromaidanPress is alright, EuromaidanPR is rather crap, you can see it even shared some fake news earlier.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mpregozhin probably really hates that tweet, so it has that going for it. Otherwise I don't like it much no

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For those who’d know. Do shaped charge warheads actually have to be moving at any speed to do their thing? Or can you just gently touch the nose to something and set it off?

You mean the fuze on the warhead, right? It's an impact fuze, doesn't even have to hit hard to set it off. They come with a safety cap that you have to take off before firing. Falling over or running into something without the cap will send you along to the ancestors. A drone bonking a tank will do just fine.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635426158903803904
A russian, mystified at the innovation of the Ukrainians, curses and wonders why his bunch can't come up with weapons like this. It's SFW except for some cursing.

"We used to sit on those crates"

How much of this devastation was the work of the explosion?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635539349776351232
What even the gently caress, we know Vuhledar was disastrous for Russia but jeez :stare:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Power Khan posted:

"We used to sit on those crates"

How much of this devastation was the work of the explosion?

It's hard to tell but these look like T-62 tanks from what is left of the roadwheels and the presence of empty shell cases which anything more modern does not have. I think this was some kind of improvised artillery battery lobbing shells roughly in the direction of the enemy.

At 0:35 you can see a bunch of dart like Armor Piercing projectiles lying around like they stripped them off their shell casings.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 14, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635539349776351232
What even the gently caress, we know Vuhledar was disastrous for Russia but jeez :stare:

looks like a math formula for figuring out the optimal number of dudes you need to help you plunder before you need them gone to keep it for yourself

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CeeJee posted:

It's hard to tell but these look like T-62 tanks from what is left of the roadwheels and the presence of empty shell cases which anything more modern does not have. I think this was some kind of improvised artillery battery lobbing shells roughly in the direction of the enemy.

At 0:35 you can see a bunch of dart like Armor Piercing projectiles lying around like they stripped them off their shell casings.

That was more meant as "How much of this devastation is the work of the explosions and how much of the usual russian trench miasma"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Regarding Baikonur, I'll just quote myself from the GiP thread:

Checking in quickly with the ars technica forum thread, this has apparently been clarified to be the under construction systems for the upcoming Soyuz-5, not the active part of the launch site.

Ref https://mobile.twitter.com/RussianSpaceWeb/status/1635386687894462465

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1635429354128699392
https://twitter.com/Prune602/status/1565372487441031169
Hah, you pathetic clowns still think you have a chance here? Keep spouting your genocidal nonsense, it'll sure as poo poo catch up to you one day after Russia's armies are destroyed.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Medics safe soldier's life in the field. A reminder that they don't have the luxury of the fast US CASEVAC, and the vehicles are often softskinned or normal ambulances. The man lived. :nms: for blood and pain

https://twitter.com/GoldenR_Fella/status/1635564586102390786

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I can't believe America keeps forcing the state media to do this...

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Prune602/status/1565372487441031169
Hah, you pathetic clowns still think you have a chance here? Keep spouting your genocidal nonsense, it'll sure as poo poo catch up to you one day after Russia's armies are destroyed.

Hm yes, America, known for their calm and collected response to terrorist attacks and for reviewing their foreign policy in favor of the terrorist.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Okay that's not as bad as I expected, and the guy is okay but still, be prudent in posting that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russia probably orchestrated the train derailments and are wondering why America doesn't care about Ohio

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1629036862810497024
:laugh:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

theghostpt posted:

Hm yes, America, known for their calm and collected response to terrorist attacks and for reviewing their foreign policy in favor of the terrorist.

America bad too. How does that make it any better?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

I think the point is that "We will kill americans and this will cause the US to panic and cave to our every demand" is a moronic take when every real world example has the US hulking out and start smashing poo poo whenever provoked.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I think the point is that "We will kill americans and this will cause the US to panic and cave to our every demand" is a moronic take when every real world example has the US hulking out and start smashing poo poo whenever provoked.

Yeah I meant this ofc, not excusing US foreign policy at all, but to think that killing americans in a terrorist attack is going to change their stance on foreign policy is not really that smart

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Three weeks until russia dusts off its charabanc fleet for troop transport

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Wow, those drones have considerably more lift that I would have thought. If those are 155mm shells, that's 40kg hanging under each.

The average (non-American) could hold one in each hand and fly away.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Those look like RPG-7 HEATs

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lolwut, it was always a bit of an odd arrangement so I guess this is sorta just the other shoe dropping.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

this is hosed bc the pundits are arguing that at this point russia must win or the world will punish each individual Russian and charge them with war crimes, as a tactic to terrify its citizens into supporting the war

'we must win this war or they will come for you'

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

Those look like RPG-7 HEATs

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. 6 kg.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Philonius posted:

Wow, those drones have considerably more lift that I would have thought. If those are 155mm shells, that's 40kg hanging under each.

The average (non-American) could hold one in each hand and fly away.

Oh I'm not falling for it. There's no way they can lift those.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635600008144666624
The Lithuanian Parliament has voted to declare Wagner a terrorist organization.

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635595834384433153
Two more countries have joined the war crimes tribunal to hold Putler's gang accountable.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
6kg still seems like a lot for what seems to be a consumer level drone. A small drone like that carrying like 6 bags of sugar is quite impressive to me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

numptyboy posted:

6kg still seems like a lot for what seems to be a consumer level drone. A small drone like that carrying like 6 bags of sugar is quite impressive to me.

According to wikipedia a full single-stage RPG-7 HEAT round, that's with the rocket, weighs under 3kg

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is hosed bc the pundits are arguing that at this point russia must win or the world will punish each individual Russian and charge them with war crimes, as a tactic to terrify its citizens into supporting the war

'we must win this war or they will come for you'

It says a lot that they're not even using the excuse of being moral. They fully give up on the idea of acting in any way other than treacherous, ruthless and cruel - an utter mask-off propaganda moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For those who’d know. Do shaped charge warheads actually have to be moving at any speed to do their thing? Or can you just gently touch the nose to something and set it off?

Yeah, that's one of the big selling points of HEAT, HESH etc. Normal AP rounds penetrate their targets through sheer kinetic force, which means you have to hit the target fast and preferably also dead on. Hits on angled armour (whether it's because the plate itself is angled, or because you're hitting the target from less than a 90 degree angle) will increase the effective thickness of armour, and if the angle of impact is low enough, the rounds will just skim off naturally.

With shaped charges it's not completely laissez-faire, like you can't score a 10 degree angle hit on a tank and expect to penetrate, but the force of the impact squashes the material of the warhead into the target plate, and then the combustion just pushes the molten murder goop through at incredible velocity and temperature.

This is also the reason why after the invention of HEAT, HESH etc tank designers just kinda stopped caring about armour thickness for a while, because the see saw had tipped enough in the direction of penetration to make armour effectively useless, because you couldn't pack on enough armour to combat shaped charges without building a modern Maus. And that's why we have active defences and things like that today. The point isn't anymore to have to enough armour thickness to prevent the kinetic force from penetrating it, but to divert the shaped charge or stop it far away from the armour to render it less useful.