Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Monster Munch really aren't worth arguing about.

Never even had any. But in the end I thin plain salt ones are the ones I always come back to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/mrmichaelspicer/status/1634530311756210179?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol now they're going for the Australian play of "gently caress off we're full"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It shows a lack of imagination that has utterly destroyed the British political class.

"gently caress off, its poo poo here" would be better.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Gorn Myson posted:

It shows a lack of imagination that has utterly destroyed the British political class.

Wasn't there an advertising campaign the British government did in Poland a few years ago that was basically "don't come to the UK, it's poo poo"?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gorn Myson posted:

i thought making the uk so lovely as to be unappealing even to refugees of war was the explicit goal

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

i thought making the uk so lovely as to be unappealing even to refugees of war was the explicit goal

And, not for the first time, shows that they don't have a clue about what's going on.
People decide to move to the UK for a variety of reasons, and lots of those include being lied to about what their life will be like when they arrive.

This loving government is so incompetent at messaging - despite having the media on their side; quite literally the only thing they should have going for them - that they can't even persuade the UK public that what they're doing is both needed and helpful, so there's no chance anyone in a different country is going to believe their bullshit for a moment.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wolfsbane posted:

Wasn't there an advertising campaign the British government did in Poland a few years ago that was basically "don't come to the UK, it's poo poo"?

I think that was in Africa, but yes.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

happyhippy posted:

I know this isn't related, but thought I would share
Back when I was a kid there was a virtual homeless guy in our town, lived out in the woods, his own shack.
He was in his 60s at least, talked in grunts, not sure what mental problems he had, but he was just totally detached from the world around him.
Also back then you should hand empty glass and milk bottles for 10p or whatever.
And he would bring in these to get himself food and drink, to the only one shop that would serve him. And it was mostly a pint of milk or loaf of bread.
Which was our nearest shop so would see him a lot.
When they phased out handing in the bottles in the 90s, the kind shopkeeper, a total gent, would still take his bottles and keep him fed.

Also not related, but I found out yesterday our local crazy-but-nice guy who lives in a caravan in the woods used to be some kind of broker for insurance deals when large companies merged, on a six- figure salary. He hit 40, decided he’d had enough, and now works as a gardener, supplements it with a bit of weed dealing, and says if he was looking at having to get a “proper” job he’d just slink off and die in the woods instead. Never had such respect for a man who thinks covid was a hoax and Joe Rogan knows what he’s talking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Highly specific form of sanity on display there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Hostile environment, innit.

But the thing is about the environment, is, get this... we're all in it

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Some of us have been towed outside the environment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I enjoyed this

https://twitter.com/Babble____/status/1635555731456897025?t=7BcqwdIkoDICqI_tBV9apg&s=19

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Glitter then says: “So what do I do next, then? Let’s try and find this onion. One step at a time.”

I know prison's not meant to be a picnic but I can't believe they didn't let him have the good monster munch inside.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The creator has a lot of those on youtube shorts.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Highly specific form of sanity on display there.

lol seriously

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Can we have borderline functional investment in public resources?

No, put data centres under swimming pools!

quote:

Mark Bjornsgaard, the chief executive of the tech startup Deep Green, has trialled the idea in Exmouth, Devon. He has put a small computer data processing centre underneath the pool and the energy from it heats the water.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/14/innovative-heat-tech-save-england-swimming-pools-from-closure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that is a good idea for datacenters, they generate a huge amount of heat so finding ways to use it is a good idea.

I don't know that I would build the datacenter directly under the swimming pool but maybe next to it would be a good idea.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that is a good idea for datacenters, they generate a huge amount of heat so finding ways to use it is a good idea.

The next time Eve Goons have a gigantic mashup with the rest of the nerds some swimming pool in London is going to turn into a hotpot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1635568924879192066?s=20

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

domhal posted:

Can we have borderline functional investment in public resources?

No, put data centres under swimming pools!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/14/innovative-heat-tech-save-england-swimming-pools-from-closure

What exactly is wrong with this? Data centres produce a lot of heat and at the moment they just blast it out into the air. Why not use it to heat a pool?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I went for ukip because I did a mountain of uppers and then shat on a dreidel for my latest shock book.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I hadn't heard her speak until someone shared a video on Twitter today and she sounds like she huffs helium by the gas canister

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Mega Comrade posted:

What exactly is wrong with this? Data centres produce a lot of heat and at the moment they just blast it out into the air. Why not use it to heat a pool?

Nothing especially wrong with it per se, unless big expensive computer is really going directly below big blue wobbly thing. Just depressing that swimming pools (and everything else) haven't had direct support and are relying on the existence of *innovative solutions*! 400 pools closed, 1 possibly saved by computer man.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/12/england-has-lost-almost-400-swimming-pools-since-2010

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I always get Burchill and Bindel confused. Both terrible Julies.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Your lot"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Burchill's the one who possibly has brain damage from all the drugs she did when she worked for the NME in the late 70s.
Or who possibly has brain damage from having had a relationship with Tony Parsons.

Or both. Who can tell?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

She’s still going…

https://twitter.com/petronellawyatt/status/1635018463352864769?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Burchill's the one who possibly has brain damage from all the drugs she did when she worked for the NME in the late 70s.
Or who possibly has brain damage from having had a relationship with Tony Parsons.

Or both. Who can tell?

Definitely both

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I always get Burchill and Bindel confused. Both terrible Julies.

If the Julie be Burchill, your pants they be poo poo filled.

If the Julie be Bindel oh buddy ooft.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

You know who else had concentration camps lady?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

domhal posted:

Nothing especially wrong with it per se, unless big expensive computer is really going directly below big blue wobbly thing. Just depressing that swimming pools (and everything else) haven't had direct support and are relying on the existence of *innovative solutions*! 400 pools closed, 1 possibly saved by computer man.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/12/england-has-lost-almost-400-swimming-pools-since-2010

i would imagine that instead of refurbishing the building they’ll just shove the servers into every available changing room and locker space and you’ll have to change either in the corridor or outside in the car park

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

well sounds like he's got Norm on board at least

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jel Shaker posted:

i would imagine that instead of refurbishing the building they’ll just shove the servers into every available changing room and locker space and you’ll have to change either in the corridor or outside in the car park

I'm less imaginative but think they'll probably put it in an existing plantroom or something where it can use a direct heat exchanger with the water pumping/filtration system for the pool where whatever original heating was. And I think its a great idea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm less imaginative but think they'll probably put it in an existing plantroom or something where it can use a direct heat exchanger with the water pumping/filtration system for the pool where whatever original heating was. And I think its a great idea.

Yeah it's the exact kind of thing you'd hear about happening in Scandinavia and everyone would say "why can't this be done in Britain?".

Obviously it's still poo poo that everything else in the country is terrible, and that the world is being melted by massive data centers, but this seems eminently sensible.

I imagine there's some projects to provide district heating from data centers *somewhere*, certainly hope so

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"drat! Heat levels are still rising. Increase heat pumping to the pools!"

"But sir, they'll boil! All the little children will be cooked!"

"drat the children! Amazon.co.uk won't go down on my watch!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have an exciting new suggestion for long term nuclear waste sequestration. Why dump it in the sea and let the freeloading fish get all the heat?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m upset they the computers aren’t at the bottom of the pool being directly water cooled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Some of us have been towed outside the environment.

There is nothing out there, all there is is sea, and birds, and fish.

And 20,000 tons of crude oil.