Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Christ I used two of those brackets to put up a shelf just to get some poo poo out of the way and they're garbage even for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Christ I used two of those brackets to put up a shelf just to get some poo poo out of the way and they're garbage even for that.

My heart wants them to have at least used proper brackets, but those stair are still just hanging from the handrail.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Best case scenario is the brackets are just holding the kickboards. If they're structural...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Luckily they used three of them on the steps, so its like 3 times safer.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Thanks evilbastard and Capt.Whorebags
I know jack poo poo about those things so it never even occurred to me that it could be fibre optics.

I love the chicken wire maker, but all of the twisting metals ones are great.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Last Friday night I was walking home from work around 1am and came up on a new BMW 5 series that hit a concrete reinforced light post that splits a turn off the main road. The pole cut the front of the car in half a good 3' into the engine bay. There were police on the scene dropping flares and a half dozen teenage guys sitting on the hood waiting for a tow.

Me: "You know you can't park there man."

Guy #1 "Muthafucka!"

Guy #2 "Sheit I'd a said the same thing,"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
and that clapper's name? einstein

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7207518753691553067

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

B-Rock452 posted:

I can't stop looking at the carabineer and screaming a little inside

Carabineers can be scary at times.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No no no no no

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Vlaphor posted:

Most exciting zipline ride ever. You put the real attachment behind the customer and leave that up front.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Vlaphor posted:

Whatever happens next, the sound effect is gonna be a slide whistle

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Vlaphor posted:

As a former climbing guide that image made me yelp.

I have a sled I pull to workout with and while doing a heavy set last year I had to turn the sled around to finish and managed to backclip the carabineer attaching the harness to the sled and when I dug in and started to pull it came unclipped and I went flying. Was completely scraped up and bruised.

This is a backclip. It is scary

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

As a former climbing guide that image made me yelp.

I have a sled I pull to workout with and while doing a heavy set last year I had to turn the sled around to finish and managed to backclip the carabineer attaching the harness to the sled and when I dug in and started to pull it came unclipped and I went flying. Was completely scraped up and bruised.

This is a backclip. It is scary

This is interesting, I am not a climber and why one was bad wasn't immediately obvious to me. I had to imagine a person falling a few times and what would happen with the rope in both situations. Eventually it clicked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The machine hungers

https://i.imgur.com/VSE8R5S.mp4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The machine is hangry. Do not approach the machine while it is hangry, next thing it takes is an arm and anything attached to it :gonk:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I needed prescription work-glasses.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

ah yes, the unrestrained demon

This really needs a SICKOS guy somewhere.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ekuNNN posted:

^^ that seems like a very satisfying job

In my experience, it is for about five minutes then it's just gross and dirty and hot.

Which is why there's a fairly popular video game based off of the concept instead.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Phanatic posted:

I feel the best part really is the child who's already completely adapted to electrified life wondering why all the adults are freaking out and hallucinating about an electro-spider.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/LgECk3R.mp4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/82Tu5Tl.mp4

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thought for sure the belt would've snapped

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Poor ol' carthorse, thought about amps and died.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

pre:
E
 L
  E
   C
    T
     R
      I
       C
L
 I
  G
   H
    T*
*debt

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shemp the Stooge posted:

This is interesting, I am not a climber and why one was bad wasn't immediately obvious to me. I had to imagine a person falling a few times and what would happen with the rope in both situations. Eventually it clicked.

It's also a good illustration of why locking gate biners are so desirable in many situations.

edit: the biner in the picture has a locking gate that did not get locked

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of carabiners and the locking of them:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrgux9Mk6U1qigfjt.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ekuNNN posted:

:stonklol:

I like the part where it looks like they're about to make a fairly quick landing but nope, they're actually headed out over the broad valley way below them and the video's barely a quarter of the way through

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fuuuuck
I'll likely never be in a situation where I need it, but seeing things like that makes me want to always stay strong enough to pull myself up and get my elbows over a bar or the edge of a building or cliff.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's also a good illustration of why locking gate biners are so desirable in many situations.

edit: the biner in the picture has a locking gate that did not get locked

Ehhhh as long as you are consistent with how you clip in, backclipping won't be an issue. And it's super easy to spot, I would always do a quick mental check after clipping and I never backclipped unless I was trying to show someone what it looked like. I wouldn't want to use a locking carabineer on a QuickDraw because what if it's a funky clip or a runout and I want to get clipped in fast. Having to fiddle with gear is enough of a pain, and if you don't need a locking carabineer you shouldn't use one.

ekuNNN posted:

Lynn Hill is easily one of the top climbers ever and she almost died doing an easy top rope in France. She got to the top, leaned back and woke up on the ground because she forgot to tie the rope to her harness

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 14, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fuuuuck
I'll likely never be in a situation where I need it, but seeing things like that makes me want to always stay strong enough to pull myself up and get my elbows over a bar or the edge of a building or cliff.

I mean, if you want, I'm sure you can find someone to put you in a situation where you need it. Don't give up your dreams.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Fuuuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDRdqMH3Kk&t=147s

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rriv5sxhQ51uk10e9.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrixiaT1641uk10e9.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 14, 2023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NSA smiles with approval

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

If I had a drone that could do this there is no way anyone could talk me out of trying it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This one of those lakes of pig poo poo, right?

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Re: carabiners

I was taking an abseiling/rappelling course back in 2008 and for some reason the instructors felt it was important that they train us on "Australian rappeling." If you aren't familiar with this style, its when you descend facing towards the ground.

We're about 30' up on a rappelling tower. Another guy in the class hated heights. He gets up on the platform. Leans out, comes back to the handrail, leans out, comes back to the handrail. Finally leans out and lets go of the handrail. Unfortunately his carabiner was unlocked and when he leaned out from the handrail the last time, the gate opened. He falls face-first probably 15', manages to grab the rope to get his body upright, but then falls the remaining 15' clutching the rope to his chest before landing on a concrete pad. He broke both legs and his back, and had severe burns from the rope where he hugged it to his body.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

B-Rock452 posted:

Ehhhh as long as you are consistent with how you clip in, backclipping won't be an issue. And it's super easy to spot, I would always do a quick mental check after clipping and I never backclipped unless I was trying to show someone what it looked like. I wouldn't want to use a locking carabineer on a QuickDraw because what if it's a funky clip or a runout and I want to get clipped in fast. Having to fiddle with gear is enough of a pain, and if you don't need a locking carabineer you shouldn't use one.

Yeah, and that's why I say "many situations." I know so much of climbing involves clipping and unclipping that there are specific biners for specific tasks and having to deal with a locking gate slows you down.

I use carabiners, ropes, webbing, straps etc in my work on rafts in whitewater and have had to do a couple minor rescues, unpin boats, and some other generally sketchy poo poo. When dealing with weird dynamic loads on big moving equipment and the water is making your rope whip around, I 100% want the gates locked on a lot of my hardware.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

ekuNNN posted:

Plenty of airflow, probably didn't have to worry about their grip getting sweaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, and that's why I say "many situations." I know so much of climbing involves clipping and unclipping that there are specific biners for specific tasks and having to deal with a locking gate slows you down.

I use carabiners, ropes, webbing, straps etc in my work on rafts in whitewater and have had to do a couple minor rescues, unpin boats, and some other generally sketchy poo poo. When dealing with weird dynamic loads on big moving equipment and the water is making your rope whip around, I 100% want the gates locked on a lot of my hardware.

Oh yeah definitely. All the gear I carried for rescues used locking ones. Especially for escaping a belay to affect a rescue or raising someone. I never did it but the way to raise a person is pretty much the same system to unpin a boat.