Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Annointed posted:

So happy to hear that!

I HAVE MY COLLEGE DEGREE

I CAN FINALLY SAY I HAVE A DEGREE

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

With this and a good paying job. All I need now is to make enough to have a good standard of living and everything will be swell.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Annointed posted:

So happy to hear that!

I HAVE MY COLLEGE DEGREE

I CAN FINALLY SAY I HAVE A DEGREE

CONGRATS! :toot:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I was finally hired by one of the two part-time employers that I've been working for. Both jobs had a full-time position open and I applied for both of them. The one I got has worse pay but the benefits are so much better, Plus I have a better retirements package then most starting employees because I was already vested with the state from a different agency.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, a bit of context. Imagine if you ran a workplace and had dozens of employees, and five types of work in your work area. Now imagine a single employee made a one-time offer to handle EVERYTHING in one of those five job types, so long as you don't tell them to do anything else ever or try to change the deal(if they do, they are essentially setting fire to the "paper" of the deal and cannot get it back later). just treat the worker as if they don't exist and they'll do an incredible job for you every day they show up so you never have to worry about that entire section of your workplace again. That's me.

So my boss's boss tried to tell me to do even more work than I already do. I told him no and continued doing my job. He got extremely buttmad that I dared to deny him, so he went and got HIS boss and the union steward to have a ~meeting~ because I dared to refuse to follow his directions. I called his bluff and said "okay, I will never [do what I do at work] again, and instead you can put me in a truck to load boxes like a regular worker." His boss immediately shot him down and said "just keep doing what you're doing", realizing that this dipshit was about to kill the golden goose they've had for half a decade.

It feels good to be validated on how much what I do is valued, and it's good to see the dumbass new guy who is trying to change things up get put in his place. And also it's good that I don't have to load trucks, because I like what I do and don't like doing that, but I will do it if they try and gently caress with the deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got diagnosed with a really bad cancer a few days ago but today with a more specialized doc, my poo poo's up from 40% alive in five years to somewhere around 75% to 90% alive in five years, which sounds sad but no, rn, it's awesome and I'm fist pumping

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Mar 4, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah 😊

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Went to urgent care for some testing to see if I have strep, covid, whatever is making me feel like garbage and have horrible throat and sinus problems. All tests negative, cool, but while waiting for the results to come back the nurse was like "let me check your ears" and shined that pointy light thing they have in there. He said "there's a lot of wax buildup, do you want an ear canal irrigation while we wait for the test results?"

20 minutes of flushing my ears out with hot water to dislodge some of the most gnarly things I've seen come out of my body later, and I can suddenly hear things I couldn't yesterday. like an entire pitch of sound more than before. It's fuckin wild. If you've never had one done, go have a doctor check your ears out and clean them out if there's a lot of buildup, this guy pulled(tagged because ew) two pencil eraser-sized globs out of my ears, I didn't even think there was that much room in there.

Hearing entire new sounds in the music I listen to that I just didn't before because I guess the wax blocked them out entirely is wild. They said that the wax buildup was probably related to my alopecia, since not having hair means the wax can more tightly condense itself rather than be broken up by tiny hairs. Dunno if that's spitballing or based on actual knowledge.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've had problems with wax in my ears before and really getting in every little nook and cranny in the ear with a towel when drying post shower does wonders to help prevent build up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're fitting a towel in your ear canal?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

No just the bits of an ear you can reach. Not shoving it down the canal itself. More power to you if you can fit a whole towel down there but that's beyond my capabilities.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I got diagnosed with a really bad cancer a few days ago but today with a more specialized doc, my poo poo's up from 40% alive in five years to somewhere around 75% to 90% alive in five years, which sounds sad but no, rn, it's awesome and I'm fist pumping
Good for you buddy.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Randomly scrolling YouTube and landed on a couple with Adam Savage at the Met. Surprised as hell to see that the guy that was showing him stuff was Ted one of my relatives! Crazy to see someone you know on video with celebrities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-9PlB-F1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3f4LW3mik

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

-Zydeco- posted:

Randomly scrolling YouTube and landed on a couple with Adam Savage at the Met. Surprised as hell to see that the guy that was showing him stuff was Ted one of my relatives! Crazy to see someone you know on video with celebrities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-9PlB-F1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3f4LW3mik

Those are really interesting videos and Ted is a excellent and relaxed communicator

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, a bit of context. Imagine if you ran a workplace and had dozens of employees, and five types of work in your work area. Now imagine a single employee made a one-time offer to handle EVERYTHING in one of those five job types, so long as you don't tell them to do anything else ever or try to change the deal(if they do, they are essentially setting fire to the "paper" of the deal and cannot get it back later). just treat the worker as if they don't exist and they'll do an incredible job for you every day they show up so you never have to worry about that entire section of your workplace again. That's me.

So my boss's boss tried to tell me to do even more work than I already do. I told him no and continued doing my job. He got extremely buttmad that I dared to deny him, so he went and got HIS boss and the union steward to have a ~meeting~ because I dared to refuse to follow his directions. I called his bluff and said "okay, I will never [do what I do at work] again, and instead you can put me in a truck to load boxes like a regular worker." His boss immediately shot him down and said "just keep doing what you're doing", realizing that this dipshit was about to kill the golden goose they've had for half a decade.

It feels good to be validated on how much what I do is valued, and it's good to see the dumbass new guy who is trying to change things up get put in his place. And also it's good that I don't have to load trucks, because I like what I do and don't like doing that, but I will do it if they try and gently caress with the deal.
lmfao the stupid shithead that caused the incident in this post in the first place, who transferred to my shift not even three weeks ago because he got fed up with the people on his previous shift, just put in his two weeks notice because he can't deal with any of the people on my shift either and has already gotten into arguments with his boss

if you run into assholes all day etc etc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Congratulations to that man and his new position at another company with a higher title and salary

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so long as he's not my problem anymore, he can become a millionaire for all I care. dude just couldn't not gently caress around with people who are doing more work than they should, trying to extract just that little bit of extra efficiency out of everyone. the worst sort of micromanager, the One Who's Really Going To Change Things Around Here, as if we haven't had literally hundreds of that sort get ground into paste trying to do that exact same thing and failed every time, only causing trouble for the people actually doing the work in the process.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
This is a minor thing but today an old lady at the supermarket told me she really liked my hair.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
So, pre-text. I help coach kids field hockey for local town club as the under 8’s assistant coach. Started helping last year as I was watching my daughter play. I’d heard the regular coach had pulled her groin muscle clean off the bone in a game, meaning she couldn’t really show the kids how to play.

In steps RiD, who has never played hockey and who has decided that he needs to lose weight and help coach from pulling her “mingle muscle” again.

Pre-text over.

I’ve just got back from helping organise my first ever junior tournament today, with four towns across the county in three age groups, with 24 teams. About 450 people including parents, coaches and players all told. Not one hitch, not one issue, only one blood letting when my kid fell over stopping a goal going in and getting a stick to the knee.

U8’s got third overall (W2, D2,L1. 20 goals for, 5 against) and lost out on top spot by two points. They utterly smashed it and my joy cannot be contained by these fabulous Shetland humans.

Voice is gone, overhyped on sugary drinks and sweets, made some money for the club. Result!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just bought a house.

Also getting promoted to a developer position is pretty cool.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve been playing roller derby for like eleven years now but this last bout this weekend had me stressing out hard. The new league I’m on plays at a MUCH higher level than I was playing at until I joined up last year, and it was our season championship after being completely undefeated this year, so it felt like the stakes were really high. Plus, between weather, illnesses and an out of state trip, I’d barely been at practice this month.

Well, it was a hard fought bout but we won and I made Most Valuable Blocker on my team and it was awesome.

then I got hit on like a bunch at the afterparty which normally would be annoying and uncomfortable but between the exercise endorphins and feeling and looking like a sweaty mess of streaked makeup and ratty hair it was actually kinda nice and validating

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I had an assessment this morning. It was the last interview after providing the organisation with a portfolio that's filled with documentation and writings and stuff to proof that I do indeed possess the qualifications needed in my line of work. Compiling that portfolio took me about a year, was super stressful and I never felt quite satisfied but at some point you're nearing the deadline and it just has to be good enough.
I went into the interview full of nerves but felt I did okay. Then two hours of waiting until I got a call back with the final result.

I passed.

This certificate is equivalent to a 4 year degree. I can register as a professional in my line of work. It's the culmination of almost 6 years of work experience and has been hanging over my head for the past 2 years.

I passed. I can't believe it but I passed. Solidly. Not even just scraping by or whatever, but my portfolio and everything was great. I just... holy poo poo...

I passed.

Finally something good after years of everything turning to poo poo.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Congratulations!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I didn't know the dick sucking factory was getting so qualification dependent

(just kidding, i'm happy for you and hope it is more rewarding work than the floor at the ol DSF)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks! Assisted living/social work/foster work for vulnerable children/teens, usually with a bunch of issues. Pretty much all of them have at least a form of trauma and attachment disorders as a result of their situation, but many also have to deal with adhd, autism and other behavioral/developmental issues. So yeah, super rewarding work that absolutely requires a bunch of certificates and degrees and poo poo for obvious reasons (at least here in western Europe, I know things are different in other parts of the world.)

To have outsiders recognize I'm good at my job feels so loving good. I haven't felt this good in years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taeke posted:

Thanks! Assisted living/social work/foster work for vulnerable children/teens, usually with a bunch of issues. Pretty much all of them have at least a form of trauma and attachment disorders as a result of their situation, but many also have to deal with adhd, autism and other behavioral/developmental issues. So yeah, super rewarding work that absolutely requires a bunch of certificates and degrees and poo poo for obvious reasons (at least here in western Europe, I know things are different in other parts of the world.)

To have outsiders recognize I'm good at my job feels so loving good. I haven't felt this good in years.

Bless you.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

After months of dreading today's dentist appointment, one simple trick (dentists love it, it turns out) helped me NOT start to retch and choke and suffocate when they took all those goo imprints they need to do a crown, for the first time ever. Hopefully that'll tell my idiot subconscious that there's no need to panic hours in advance ever again. gently caress you, subconscious.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

gschmidl posted:

After months of dreading today's dentist appointment, one simple trick (dentists love it, it turns out) helped me NOT start to retch and choke and suffocate when they took all those goo imprints they need to do a crown, for the first time ever. Hopefully that'll tell my idiot subconscious that there's no need to panic hours in advance ever again. gently caress you, subconscious.

Congratulations! My gag reflex has become so severe that I have to be sedated for even the simplest procedures.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I got a promotion!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gschmidl posted:

What was the trick?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today has been only a few hours long but we’ve been packing and poo poo for a flight to LA then Tahiti later today and I’m brokebrained and love the travel as much as the destination so I’m having the best day I’ve had in 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gort posted:

What was the trick?

It was some combination of these three things:

1) sitting upright, not reclined;

2) massaging the bit of skin between the index and middle finger of your left hand with the thumb and index finger of your right hand;

3) rhythmically move one foot back and forth (or one or both legs up and down) in sync with breathing through the nose only, concentrating exclusively on the movement.

I think it was mostly 1 & 3.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Today has been only a few hours long but we’ve been packing and poo poo for a flight to LA then Tahiti later today and I’m brokebrained and love the travel as much as the destination so I’m having the best day I’ve had in 2023

Nice. If you are an Air Tahiti Nui, just wanted to let you know it is a really nice flight. The service has always been great for us, and they keep the interior really cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've heard it's a magical place.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I went to a stadium concert a few months ago but tonight was my first, like, small venue concert, since 2019, and Jesus Christ I missed this so much. Live music is basically the meaning of life

It was an industrial show so wearing a gas mask wasn't too out of the ordinary

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

BioEnchanted posted:

I've heard it's a magical place.

I miss that show.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I'm still alive

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just beat a fun ps2 game called Shadow of Rome, so that's nice. Also since my new job I've been stress eating less over the last couple of months so saving way more money than I was.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Today I bought a refurbished XBox Series S on a whim and while perusing the "my games" section I found Driver:San Francisco, a game that I've been looking for for literal years but could never find. Guess I bought it digitally back when I had a 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CordlessPen posted:

Today I bought a refurbished XBox Series S on a whim and while perusing the "my games" section I found Driver:San Francisco, a game that I've been looking for for literal years but could never find. Guess I bought it digitally back when I had a 360.

I love this, it's so essentially trivial, but I know if it were me, I'd be hugging myself all day because this tiny weird miracle happened.
Have fun!