Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/moodys-downgrades-signature-bank-junk-places-six-us-banks-under-review-2023-03-14

quote:

March 13 (Reuters) - Ratings agency Moody's on Monday downgraded the debt ratings of collapsed New York-based Signature Bank (SBNY.O) deep into junk territory and placed the ratings of six other U.S. banks under review for a downgrade.

Moody's, which rated Signature Bank's subordinate debt 'C', said it was also withdrawing future ratings for the collapsed bank.

The banks placed under review for downgrade are First Republic Bank (FRC.N), Zions Bancorporation (ZION.O), Western Alliance Bancorp (WAL.N), Comerica Inc (CMA.N), UMB Financial Corp and Intrust Financial Corporation, Moody's said.

Right now First Republic stock looks up 20% pre-market so I guess this isn’t too much of a spooky shock. Still, any negative news about any of these banks could tip over a domino. Even if it isnt “rational” and just makes depositors jumpy enough to blow a hole in the balance sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know fancy things about financial anything. No top hat in my cupboard. But my gut feeling is investing in blue chip resource extractors to divest of unwanted liquidity is probably relatively safe in an era where inflation is lurking under the bed and hyperinflation in the cupboard. Leaving more than a rainy day fund in the bank for your unplanned surgeries and such? Wow yeah nah.

gently caress what do these words even mean. I think I must have mumbled some dumb Harry Potter spell. Pay me no mind.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i can't remember what this thread thinks about matt levine but this is the most lucid and straightforward explanation i've read yet about What Is Going On https://archive.is/l4nLU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Petey posted:

i can't remember what this thread thinks about matt levine but this is the most lucid and straightforward explanation i've read yet about What Is Going On https://archive.is/l4nLU

can’t speak for everyone, but i have a little matt levine shrine in the closet that my family pays offerings to 4 times per year

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was listening to some analysts talking about SVB and it seems an entirely avoidable situation bought on by some loving incompetent managerial decisions and the lack of a risk manager to say "hey everyone, maybe lets not do that in case X happens". Key question marks are things like why invest all that stuff in long term risk for minimal benefit if all goes well but you know.

However it does cast a spotlight on certain things, which may in turn cast a spotlight on other things. Does the emperor still have clothes when caught in the spotlight? Well that all depends on who is asking and what their own leverage is.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

coelomate posted:

can’t speak for everyone, but i have a little matt levine shrine in the closet that my family pays offerings to 4 times per year

not just you it seems

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no way the cpi report today is higher than 5.0. they are going to make up tons of poo poo

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

quote:

The consumer price index is expected to have risen by 0.4% in February, or at a 6% annual pace, according to Dow Jones. That’s compared to increases of 0.5% and 6.4%, respectively, in January.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/consumer-inflation-may-have-cooled-in-february-but-only-slightly.html

edit: 0.4% * 12 = 4.8% so I don't fully understand that expectation, but the number priests will sort us all out come 8:30 am est i am sure

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

coelomate posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/consumer-inflation-may-have-cooled-in-february-but-only-slightly.html

edit: 0.4% * 12 = 4.8% so I don't fully understand that expectation, but the number priests will sort us all out come 8:30 am est i am sure

Love this breathless up-to-the-minute reporting on long-term concepts

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

We got a 2015 Prius brand new for ~$20,000 in 2016. Hopefully it'll last until we die.

For the first time ever I'm hearing this from so many people. I don't know if it's the prices, the cars, the shopping experience, a desire for people to move towards public transportation (lol it's not that) but I hope I never have to buy another car again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Not a Children posted:

Love this breathless up-to-the-minute reporting on long-term concepts

Welcome to finance and economics where everyday you revise long term expectations

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sounds like they have some... gaps in their reporting. Holes, even.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gas is back under $3 a gallon here. Eggs and bacon are both cheaper still higher than pre-covid but not at the dizzying heights

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i havent seen any real changes in eggs or bacon their still very expensive here gas is still like 3.60 and changes between that and 3.40ish

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Vox Nihili posted:

We got a 2015 Prius brand new for ~$20,000 in 2016. Hopefully it'll last until we die.

It's hard to believe that brand new cars used to sell for less than $25,000.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Gas is back under $3 a gallon here. Eggs and bacon are both cheaper still higher than pre-covid but not at the dizzying heights

recession over

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

turns out inflation keeps rising and some random goods go up and down

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Just feel blessed to live in a system robust enough to diffuse all this financial goings on by shelling out hundreds of billions of dollars with no negative repercussions

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Mar 14, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

turns out inflation keeps rising and some random goods go up and down

Most goods inflation has slowed significantly. Energy commodities are still edging down. It seems that market believes a recession is coming so that should help.

If oil spikes for summer you will see a slight resurgence. PPI will be important this month.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Only like 20 more minutes to speculate and be wrong!

There's basically no way they let this CPI report come in hot, right? It's going to show declining inflation but probably below the funds rate - then get revised higher later.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the massaged bs numbers they put out to claim inflation is slowing down yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when they tried to say inflation was 0

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

0 inflation 0 risks 0 vibes 0 bailouts

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

HallelujahLee posted:

the massaged bs numbers they put out to claim inflation is slowing down yeah

I'll have you know an entire network of social proof signed off on those numbers
all of academia is cool with hanging out with them - the english dept is there just off screen
and the government put it out

and now here you are acting like the core of that is some cabal of 10th dentists always selling us a pack of loving lies that are convenient to the existing power structures..

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

remember when they tried to say inflation was 0

Inflation way down
Profiteering way up

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

last Tuesday or so everyone was nervous about inflation higher than expected from other indicators, and Powell was testifying before congress in a way that implied that the hotish inflation numbers meant more and longer rate increases.

Then we forgot that because we had a little banking crisis.

A hot number today and maybe we can forget about the banking crisis!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I bank with a credit union, should I be worried

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

coelomate posted:

last Tuesday or so everyone was nervous about inflation higher than expected from other indicators, and Powell was testifying before congress in a way that implied that the hotish inflation numbers meant more and longer rate increases.

Then we forgot that because we had a little banking crisis.

A hot number today and maybe we can forget about the banking crisis!

i want whichever one gives us more blood

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1635619481891250182?cxt=HHwWjICx3ZfQ8bItAAAA

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1635618437668954114?t=CL0ub8ydYwd4phBTeMgt0g&s=19

The disinflstion continues!
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1635619628687986691?t=Ff0JXdEQSSJ8MSR9b7gIBQ&s=19

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yes but not about your credit union

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

nice inflation keeps going up even with their bs numbers onwards then

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

going up slower is basically the same as going down

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

inflation is 6% and rates are 4.5% and inflation won’t come under control until rates are higher than inflation

I wonder what we should do let’s ask mr. market?

market: SLASH RATES TO ZERO DO IT NOW OR I WILL KNOCK OVER ANOTHER BANK SO HELP ME GOD

hmmm

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

put this goon on CNBC right now; they have been chosen to speak to the people on behalf of Number

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gimme 50 basis points or give me death

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those are high even with gas cratering. God drat.

Food going up with energy going down is a big alarm bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wow turns out they can charge whatever they want without regards to gas prices or anything really in a system that allows the owners to do whatever without consequences everyone wins