Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finished Poker Face on Peacock last night and I liked the finale and the show overall. The finale was interesting to me because in some way it changed how I viewed the series, not in a plot twist way but in my perspective of Charlie and her journey (although there is plot twist as well, it was set up to expect a certain resolution from the first episode). You start the series following Charlie on her string of mystery solving close escapes and the cases are all so different. The last episode puts it much more into perspective what it's like for her and what her gift has caused her to give up. This episode felt way more akin to Russian Doll than Knives Out for me. I'm not sure if there is a greek myth about someone blessed/cursed to be a lie detector but this episode felt like an absurdist modern retelling of that story much more than Lady Columbo or whatever the reviewers have been hyping the series as.

I think my favorite episode of the season was the Nick Nolte episode. It was probably the least funny of them but just was put together so well.

We're also caught up on Daisy Jones and The Six on Prime Video and it's solidly OK. The leads are fun to look at and it works pretty well as a 70's LA nostalgia trip but I don't really find them all that believable in their rolls. I'm sure we'll finish it but it's somehow just a pale imitation of actual rock-band drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember liking the premiere of the show and watching a long for a bit new, but then quitting when it started getting all spiritual. At the time I was trying to grow out of my own faith and religion so I gave it another shot recently since I can gloss over or accept it's importance to people better these days.

Started auto playing after Trek or something else I was watching and I think I dipped out around the prison takeover episodes. This time I just really didn't like the characters, how they talked, the melodrama, and idk just the pacing and everything about the show felt very weird and janky. I now understand BSG I just won't ever be able to appreciate this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We're also caught up on Daisy Jones and The Six on Prime Video and it's solidly OK. The leads are fun to look at and it works pretty well as a 70's LA nostalgia trip but I don't really find them all that believable in their rolls. I'm sure we'll finish it but it's somehow just a pale imitation of actual rock-band drama.

Yeah agreed. It’s extremely mid and it’s irritating how all the issues (at least up to ep 5 I haven’t done 6 yet) are entirely because of Billy being a stubborn jackass while everyone around him is like wtf dude

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well you're in luck Ep 6 is mostly Daisy being a coked up drama queen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s every episode.

This show has an annoyance (to me) that's similar to what happens in Succession — bad people repeatedly do bad things and suffer no significant consequences.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Based on the glowing recommendations for a show with horrible characters, I started watching Search Party and finished S1 today.

You weren't kidding, I'm impressed how they managed to write basically every character as flawed, unlikeable yet somehow intriguing enough that you care about them (with a couple of exceptions) and the plot carrying on.

The banality of the big reveal and the heavy consequences that lead to it are just :discourse:

Looking forward to the other seasons and hoping they come up with more truly awful people.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I'm sure we'll finish it but it's somehow just a pale imitation of actual rock-band drama.

The book, of course, is much better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It definitely feels like the fake biography being the entire thing would suit the story much better.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Started watching Poker Face. It is clearly and strongly influenced by Columbo, Burn Notice and even Quantum Leap, with the lead kramering into a wide variety of murder-of-the-week slice-of-life situations, but it also has an overarching story which I am very curious about. It's enjoyably laid back and well made.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After some show I like to watch, The Rookie started playing. Don't really like cop shows, cops, or copaganda, and this show is the copagandaest cop show I've ever seen. I do like Nathan Dillion and so far I'd say putting up with this show was almost worth it for the episode where Alan Tudyk guest started.

The most hilarious copaganda moment was a cop was stranded in a warehouse because some dogs were trying to attack them, and the cop is like "aw dang can't shoot these dogs gotta find another way out." Give me a break, cops love shooting dogs it's practically their main job. Cops kill over 10,000 dogs a year and that's just ones reported and logged.

However, it's really starting to pick up the ridiculous steam. They've always been involved in bombastic scenarios, especially for rookies, like bomb threats and terrorist attacks and weird sieges and poo poo. But now they're trying to add in a supervillain serial killer and poo poo and it's really cringey and hokey how they go about it. And keep ham fisting ways in for our titular rookie to keep talking to this insufferable actress. I started skipping past scenes with her in it because I just couldn't stomach her anymore.

This also only in season 2, I think there's 3 or 4 more after and I struggle to imagine how loving absurd things must get by that point.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched an Australian show, The Newsreader. Anna Torv and Sam Reid in a drama with the news as a background plot. The season covered the first 4 months of 1986 in which some huge events happened. There's only 1 season so far and it's just 6 episodes, so I'm not really sure overall yet. But ep2 Anna has to go between breaking down and presenting the news, pretty good stuff. Also, the subtitle "Laughs (mirthlessly)" has been used a number of times.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

I watched an Australian show, The Newsreader. Anna Torv and Sam Reid in a drama with the news as a background plot. The season covered the first 4 months of 1986 in which some huge events happened. There's only 1 season so far and it's just 6 episodes, so I'm not really sure overall yet. But ep2 Anna has to go between breaking down and presenting the news, pretty good stuff. Also, the subtitle "Laughs (mirthlessly)" has been used a number of times.

What service is this on? It sounds worth checking out based on your description. I'm in the middle of a Fringe rewatch so I'd definitely be up for some more Anna Torv.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I started watching The Recruit the other day which is kind of fun and I somehow missed when it first aired. But I have it now to watch so that's the main thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Octy posted:

I started watching The Recruit the other day which is kind of fun and I somehow missed when it first aired. But I have it now to watch so that's the main thing.

I watched that yesterday. I was kind of amused when the second episode ended right next to an office I'm at sometimes. "I'm on a bridge, I don't which one. There's buildings!" If I'm around there for work, I am usually staying at the hotel which is directly on the other side of that bridge and you can see my office window. I guess people from places like Los Angeles, New York, or Atlanta with a lot of filming are already kind of jaded from seeing their neighborhoods all the time.

Also the main character is a bit of an idiot, because that bridge has a clear sign with it's name on it, conveniently just outside the camera range.
But in a late episode we find out that he doesn't know how time zones work. So yeah, that checks out.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 13, 2023

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Snowfall was pretty great for the first two seasons but in the third season the plotlines gets a bit too ridiculous and the entire growing into a cold blooded gangster acting of the main character is kinda weak unfortunately.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is the last half of You any good?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 14, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Since the finale just aired we started The Last of Us and it's good but boy for people who played the game they're daring you to point at the TV and go "I know what that means" to your wife/gf over and over

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What service is this on? It sounds worth checking out based on your description. I'm in the middle of a Fringe rewatch so I'd definitely be up for some more Anna Torv.

IMDB says it's on Roku channel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the last half of You any good?

Yeah it's better than the first half. However, going back, S1/2/3 is better than 4.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Since the finale just aired we started The Last of Us and it's good but boy for people who played the game they're daring you to point at the TV and go "I know what that means" to your wife/gf over and over

Now that Season 1 is over I can say that it wasn't a very good show, imo. Not one of those edgy nerds that think that way because gaming controls my life and the art of the video game will always be greater than cinema. I just think that way because the show was kind of boring. It had a couple good episodes and moments throughout. Pedro Pascal, Bella Ramsey, Anna Torv, etc, the entire cast, all of them were great. Even the girl from the 1st episode, Nico Parker (Thandiwe Newton's kid and boy do they look alike). Great cast all around. But the show seemed to just drag along.

Not saying it was a bad show at all, or even average. It was just barely above average. It'll never be a show I rewatch and I kind of think of a rewatch as the marking of a good show.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It really ended poorly, but the pathos was just fantastic. Riiiiiight up until the finale.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

jokes posted:

Yeah it's better than the first half. However, going back, S1/2/3 is better than 4.

This was my takeaway as well. I wasn't too enamoured with the sudden shift to silly british parlor whodunnit, but it ended up going somewhere. I did feel a bit like "oh so this is just Dexter now". S2 is still my favorite.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got to that reveal in You s4p2 and I’m loving losing it hahahaha this show is so ridiculous

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jokes posted:

Thankfully, I forgot about season 4 until all of it was released so I was able to watch it all in one go. I thought the quality was more or less consistent with all the other seasons.

If i had to rank my seasons, I'd probably go 2/3/4/1. Season 1 would be at the end mainly because it was so long ago that I don't remember much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Thankfully, I forgot about season 4 until all of it was released so I was able to watch it all in one go. I thought the quality was more or less consistent with all the other seasons.

If i had to rank my seasons, I'd probably go 2/3/4/1. Season 1 would be at the end mainly because it was so long ago that I don't remember much.

The first is straight up the worst season.

There's an interview floating around where Bagley talks about the season not being intended for two parts and, yeah, you can tell. I was pretty happy with the thing in toto though, and they managed to do some cool stuff. There's a really good guest star performance in the back half, too.

Hopefully it gets a final season out of this, felt like it was being set up for one.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hopefully it gets a final season out of this, felt like it was being set up for one.

I thought this WAS the final season of You. The ending works as well as anything, really. It ends by rewarding the violent, entitled male lead with even more power and influence, but it presents that as, you know, a bad thing.

The first season is less fun than the self-consciously exploitive thing it becomes the rest of its run, but speaks most directly to the thing I suspect Sera Gamble wanted to say. That frightening, violent, and controlling masculine behavior is romanticized by society. And that actual women's trauma is seemingly less important than men's hurt feelings. The last season frustrated me on this point, because it completes Joe's pivot from a real comment on masculine violence and entitlement into a kind of genre anti-hero. He's still a crazy, violent rear end in a top hat, but one set against some really irredeemable people...as well as a literal evil alter-ego, as if his "good" traits exist apart from the bad. Fortunately, the last episode walks that last part back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

I thought this WAS the final season of You. The ending works as well as anything, really. It ends by rewarding the violent, entitled male lead with even more power and influence, but it presents that as, you know, a bad thing.

The first season is less fun than the self-consciously exploitive thing it becomes the rest of its run, but speaks most directly to the thing I suspect Sera Gamble wanted to say. That frightening, violent, and controlling masculine behavior is romanticized by society. And that actual women's trauma is seemingly less important than men's hurt feelings. The last season frustrated me on this point, because it completes Joe's pivot from a real comment on masculine violence and entitlement into a kind of genre anti-hero. He's still a crazy, violent rear end in a top hat, but one set against some really irredeemable people...as well as a literal evil alter-ego, as if his "good" traits exist apart from the bad. Fortunately, the last episode walks that last part back.

Bagley doesn't consider it over, he really wants a final season where the character is karmicly ruined.

As to what you've said I partly agree

(post contains season 4 spoilers all over the place btw)

re: season one:

Those pillars are very strong, but I think the show just goes about it in a very clumsy way. The finale is very strong, as is the premier, with the Bluebeard / Dulcinea parodies, but there's a lot of material in the mid-season that's not great, and the Roshamon episode is for my money by far the worst episode the show did. They basically remake it for the eighth episode in this fourth season, and it's far stronger. My complaint isn't theme so much as craft.

re: season four:

I never saw there being a "good" half or "bad" half to Joe, so much as there's just a large part that's in denial about his true nature, and another part that's angrier and less self-justifying. The Rhys persona loves to kill for the sake of killing, but he's also got a strong sense of class conciousness which the Joe half ultimately subsumes in his love of bougie, upwardly mobile class climbing -- e.g. the season seems to make the argument that his lecturing and teaching is just as hollow and unearned as the pyramid schemes of his rich peers, he never marks papers, he sets the students against each other with catspaw teaching techniques, etc. Even beyond that, he's only where he is because he's standing on the remains of his victims. Both Rhys and Joe represent different kind of male power fantasies -- the heroic bulwark against a broken world who'll do "whatever it takes" to see justice done, and the ivory tower intellectual who's cool and hip and has little girls worshiping him -- but they're both vile people and always have been.

My main complaint with the fourth season is that there's a character turn in the final episode -- Kate's -- that they're clearly waiting until the fifth season to unpack. I wanted to know more about why that character made the choices they made.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Open Source Idiom posted:

[Stuff about You S1-4]

I never saw there being a "good" half or "bad" half to Joe, so much as there's just a large part that's in denial about his true nature, and another part that's angrier and less self-justifying.

My main complaint with the fourth season is that there's a character turn in the final episode -- Kate's -- that they're clearly waiting until the fifth season to unpack. I wanted to know more about why that character made the choices they made.

Fair enough. I agree with your reading, I think I'm just annoyed with the execution which I felt failed to make these points explicit enough. For a minute there, the show seemed to earnestly be saying that Joe could identify and isolate the violent or predatory parts of himself, could externalize them into some psychological antagonist to be repressed or defeated. As if to apologize for the ways they've made Joe charismatic, or keep him sympathetic enough to still be the protagonist. And obviously, that's all bullshit, because there is no path to redemption for Joe who keeps getting away with every terrible thing he does.

That's a valid point about Kate, as it did feel like an odd betrayal of her stated values. But I guess I initially found the Love reveal in S2 (that she's also a violent psychopath) to be silly and unearned until the little epilogue revealing his suburban life in Madre Linda. He found someone impossibly perfect for him, yet he instantly fixates on the next door neighbor because his pathology leaves no possibility that he'd ever be sated or happy with the love he has. The decision suddenly made sense.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to a S5 that crashes all of it down onto Joe. They even left some scraps: Nadia, Marienne, and I believe Ellie (Jenna Ortega's S2 character, assuming they can still afford her) are all still dangling threads. And now that Joe is synonymous with power and money rather than a poor hanger-on, there's a solid MeToo parallel to be drawn. My fanfic pitch is that he winds up in jail for life, but then gets assigned some kind of prison counselor with the misfortune of being a hot woman. "And who are you?"

Xealot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

Fair enough. I agree with your reading, I think I'm just annoyed with the execution which I felt failed to make these points explicit enough. For a minute there, the show seemed to earnestly be saying that Joe could identify and isolate the violent or predatory parts of himself, could externalize them into some psychological antagonist to be repressed or defeated. As if to apologize for the ways they've made Joe charismatic, or keep him sympathetic enough to still be the protagonist. And obviously, that's all bullshit, because there is no path to redemption for Joe who keeps getting away with every terrible thing he does.

That's a valid point about Kate, as it did feel like an odd betrayal of her stated values. But I guess I initially found the Love reveal in S2 (that she's also a violent psychopath) to be silly and unearned until the little epilogue revealing his suburban life in Madre Linda. He found someone impossibly perfect for him, yet he instantly fixates on the next door neighbor because his pathology leaves no possibility that he'd ever be sated or happy with the love he has. The decision suddenly made sense.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to a S5 that crashes all of it down onto Joe. They even left some scraps: Nadia, Marienne, and I believe Ellie (Jenna Ortega's S2 character, assuming they can still afford her) are all still dangling threads. And now that Joe is synonymous with power and money rather than a poor hanger-on, there's a solid MeToo parallel to be drawn. My fanfic pitch is that he winds up in jail for life, but then gets assigned some kind of prison counselor with the misfortune of being a hot woman. "And who are you?"

Yeah, I'd be keen for a fifth season that brings back all the women Joe's harmed over the years.

In addition to the above, I think Love's mother would be a fun antagonist, and maybe a grown up version of the kid from the first season. Joe has this habit of looking after smart, precious kids like him, Ellie, Nadia -- obviously projecting a lot of his childhood onto them -- but I'd like it if they were the ones who'd ultimately undo him.

Ortega was meant to be back this season -- I assume for the dream sequences in episode nine, because then they're have a vision character representing each previous season -- but she couldn't make the scheduling work with Wednesday. I'd love her to be back for the finale. Also I reckon there's no way the yuppie couple from Season Three would do anything but immediately try and sue Joe now he's come back to prominence.

Oh poo poo, and there's Robin Lord Taylor's character as well. Joe's been loving sloppy over the years.

My read on Kate is that her values ultimately don't mean poo poo, and she was just reacting to daddy, but we'll see.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

mcbexx posted:

Based on the glowing recommendations for a show with horrible characters, I started watching Search Party and finished S1 today.

You weren't kidding, I'm impressed how they managed to write basically every character as flawed, unlikeable yet somehow intriguing enough that you care about them (with a couple of exceptions) and the plot carrying on.

The banality of the big reveal and the heavy consequences that lead to it are just :discourse:

Looking forward to the other seasons and hoping they come up with more truly awful people.

Banality is such a good word for the final reveal of season 1. The whole finale is just so perfect.

Regarding season 4 of You: I'm in the middle of episode 9 and I just adored the whole Jekyll & Hyde reveal. I feel like seasons 2 and 3 leaned heavily into him being an outright sociopath, or at least more monster than human, which was fun in its own way. For the first chunk of season 4, it seemed like he was doing better at bettering himself -- which, for a serial killer, means he became more of an "I don't want to kill people, but I will if my safety or independence is in danger" type of creep. But of course he can't escape who he is. I love the trick that the show plays on the viewer. It's like it wants you to believe what he believes, that he can be a good guy, only to pull the rug out from under you and laugh.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
My wife and I binged Search Party after lurking this thread. That, uhh, sure was a thing. Definitely one of the most unique shows in recent memory, and I feel compelled to pitch it to my friends now but I have no idea how to even begin. I probably enjoyed season 5 the least overall (although The Jesper Society was my favorite gag in the series) but I absolutely loved the audacity of it, and the ending was weirdly perfect.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I finally made it all the way through Gomorrah, and drat was that some bleak poo poo. Five seasons straight without a single shred of joy or human decency. Every time I wanted to stop watching, they would pull some crazy poo poo, so I just had to see what would happen next.

Incredible show, but I am not sure I can really recommend it to anyone.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 19, 2023

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

and the tv show is less ugly than the movie

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Gomorrah is pretty good but probably the most violent and bleak organized crime TV show I’ve ever seen

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Top Boy comes pretty close, same theme different location (London mostly).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I became aware of a show called "Children's Hospital" and went through it. It's weird that I've never heard about that one before, since I know pretty much all of the cast from other stuff. Lake Bell, Henry Wikler and Ken Marino are especially great and Nick Offermann shows up sometimes. There's even an episode with Nathan Fielder in it. Do people just hate it and never talk about it? Seems like a good show to me.
But I really feel like they should have established, where this show is set.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 19, 2023

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It aired like a decade ago. Doesn't mean people hate it if they don't talk about it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

It aired like a decade ago. Doesn't mean people hate it if they don't talk about it.

People talk about stuff like 30 Rock, or Parks and Recreations or even uggh Seinfeld and The Office all the time though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Those are some of the biggest hits of all time? Also network shows. Children’s hospital is a alt comedy show that aired late night on adult swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
we all just decided not to talk about it in front of you specifically, to gaslight you