Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've already started, met The Skulls, and done a handful of missions, but I'm only at 2%; any info about Metal Gear Solid 5?

Edit: other than what's on the site, for both GZ and TPP.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've already started, met The Skulls, and done a handful of missions, but I'm only at 2%; any info about Metal Gear Solid 5?

Kidnap everyone and make them research stuff so you can kidnap more effectively.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

you can grab hideo himself from GZ i think. you might then have to go back to TPP and do the sidequest for lost GZ dudes (i think it has been a long time) but hideo is good for early S rank boosts on mother base for one of the teams

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 6, 2023

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

You can beat every mission with just the basic dart gun.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 7, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sleekly posted:

you can grab hideo himself from GZ i think. you might then have to go back to TPP and do the sidequest for lost GZ dudes (i think it has been a long time) but hideo is good for early S rank boosts on mother base for one of the teams

I've already done this, actually. I loved how he was able to be transferred from GZ to TPP.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I actually started Phantom Pain not long ago myself, so here's a few things I've noticed (and hopefully people will correct me if I'm wrong on something).

* Try out all your tools in various ways, for example smoke grenades can be used for concealment, but also to help take out a group of unsuspecting enemies while they're distracted or incapacitated by one.
* It's worth interrogating guards whenever possible, since often they'll permanently mark things like resource locations and hidden diamonds on your map. The "Capture a Russian interpreter" side op is worth doing early to understand the Soviet soldiers.
* Knocking people out before fultoning them stops them from shouting for help, attracting less attention.
* In freeroam you can return to the chopper instantly from the pause menu without having to call one in.
* Riding an enemy vehicle out of the hot zone after finishing a mission counts as capturing that vehicle even before you can start fultoning them.
* Long-range headshots with the tranquilizer gun (i.e. ones fired outside its "red aiming reticle" range) are both an effective way to take out helmetless guards safely, and on missions also worth an easy +2000 points from the score bonuses of a headshot and a Tactical Takedown.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 6, 2023

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For the Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster, are the tips on the wiki still the case, or did things change up a bit?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leave posted:

For the Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster, are the tips on the wiki still the case, or did things change up a bit?

The only thing to consider is that HP is the only stat that does not adjust based on class. This basically just means rotate who your mage is every once in a while so there isn't one person with way less HP than everyone else. That said, the remaster has adjusted stamina for all classes making HP growth more generous and, iirc, scaling it most at higher levels so you can pretty much ignore it as long as you arent like leaving all 4 party members as scholars for the entire game.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

There are a bunch of high end weapons and equipment that have crazy high resource or time requirements for development. They're for people who want to put hours and hours into the base assault stuff later in the game, and tbh you don't need any of that stuff and are unlikely to get to it in normal play.

Don't feel you have to be stealthy all the time, especially once you get some nicer gear as you keep on playing. Going loud is very fun once you have some good gear or plan around it.

Once you get companions, both D-Dog or Quiet certainly both make a lot of situations way easier once they're with you and have increased your bond level with them. It's a game where you definitely start to feel pretty drat powerful as you and your chosen companion get nicer gear and better at your schtick.

Oh, when you've chosen your equipment and are about to deploy, you can downgrade equipment to prior versions should you want to. I didn't realise this for ages, but there are a couple of things where I preferred the less upgraded versions and didn't realise til lategame that you could do this.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 6, 2023

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Theotus posted:

You can beat every mission with just the basic dart gun. There is a point later where a plague happens, look at the language the affected people have in common.

This is a huge spoiler. The game wants you to try to puzzle out the cause.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Any tips for Midnight Suns? I'm a little ways in and am mostly trying to work out the best tactics on my own, and am avoiding looking up walkthroughs for the Abbey stuff, but I want to make sure there's nothing major that's missable or that I should watch out for.

The only thing I'm really unsure about so far is how many optional missions I should be doing between the required ones. It feels a bit arbitrary right now, since the story missions don't seem to be level gated or anything like that. Is it just worth doing non-story missions if I'm low on specific resources, or does it make sense to do them more often than that?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jokymi posted:

Any tips for Midnight Suns? I'm a little ways in and am mostly trying to work out the best tactics on my own, and am avoiding looking up walkthroughs for the Abbey stuff, but I want to make sure there's nothing major that's missable or that I should watch out for.

The only thing I'm really unsure about so far is how many optional missions I should be doing between the required ones. It feels a bit arbitrary right now, since the story missions don't seem to be level gated or anything like that. Is it just worth doing non-story missions if I'm low on specific resources, or does it make sense to do them more often than that?

• Every once in a while (I'm about 1 month in and it's happened twice), you'll wake up to the church bells ringing. Make sure to check the chapel when that happens. it's not missable, but it's rare enough that if you don't realize you should be going back there it could be real annoying.
  • Opened chests will refresh and let you open them again, usually 1 or 2 a day. As of the latest patch chests you can open are highlighted on the map so you never need to go manually look for them.
  • Eventually you start having to do non-story missions, either because the story mission requires at least one general mission before you can try it, or the story mission requires someone who's injured or otherwise unavailiable. That said, there's no penalty for doing a non-story mission so if you see one that gives you a sick reward go for it.
  • Having said that, the only way to raise your research levels is by studying artifacts. As far as I can tell, it's one level/artifact. I don't know if the game didn't tell me, or if I didn't notice, but I spent a WHILE not realizing that nothing you do there actually gives you research exp. Make sure to get enough research levels to let you get up to the next unlockable suit.
  • Don't worry about gloss. Eventually you've got more gloss than you know what to do with.
  • This should go without saying, but always pet your dog. If you don't tell Charlie that she's a good Charlie girl, how will she know? (you're going to hit a point where you think "well, I can stop petting charlie", this is a lie from some sort of satan, therefore do not stop)
  • If you need to unlock a new suit in order to go on a mission, you should probably equip the passive that comes with the suit before doing the mission. You don't need it, but the mission will have some mechanic that's easier to deal with if you do.
  • If there's a hero that you've been writing off for a while, take them out for a spin and grab a few of their higher tier cards! Every hero CAN be overwhelmingly powerful. I thought Magik was neat but kind of technical, and now she's my single most potent source of single target damage on a longer mission.
  • The character DLC is worth picking up if you like the game. So far they each add a few extra story missions building on a separate (but connected) plot from the main game, and both characters are mechanically unique. You do also get to take them on dates hangouts so if you ever wanted to chill with Eddie Brock in a pool this is your shot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pseudoscorpion posted:

This is a huge spoiler. The game wants you to try to puzzle out the cause.

It's ok, I already knew it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
even if you already knew it it's a dumb thing to put in the thread for people asking for basic things to know about the game

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anything for Octopath 2?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I mentioned this a little bit ago but get the anti-materiel sniper rifle ASAP (the one for Quiet too). It's a relatively late game gun but if you find yourself needing to go loud, there's nothing better. Takes out tanks and choppers very easily and punches through personnel body armor like tissue paper.

Edit: It's been a while since I played but I just checked and there are several different anti-materiel rifles, some of which can use a suppressor. Take your pick!

Edit 2: Goddamn you guys. You've got me itching to replay the game for the first time in years. This is going to push back the other games I need to get to! Downloading to my PS5 now... :argh:

...! fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 7, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Generally speaking, you want to get Quiet a tranquilizer rifle if you're gonna bring her along. She's very good at what she does, and better to have prospective recruits asleep rather than lobotomised with a rifle round before you can even tell if they were worth kidnapping.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generally speaking, you want to get Quiet a tranquilizer rifle if you're gonna bring her along. She's very good at what she does, and better to have prospective recruits asleep rather than lobotomised with a rifle round before you can even tell if they were worth kidnapping.

Oh, speaking of, how do I tell if someone is worth kidnapping?

Getting a lot of D-class and even an E-class recruit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

In practice you should kidnap everybody and everyone because the game automatically reassigns your dudes based on their skill level so lower level dudes will just get moved to make room for better ones.

Theres a binocular upgrade that scans the skill level of soldiers.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Finished up Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty earlier and now I have some tips:

- If you have some familiarity with Nioh 1 and/or 2, you'll probably recall that blocking was fairly strong there. The same applies here, but because Spirit takes place of Stamina in those games, you have to be more careful since if you hit -1000 Spirit, any hit at all whatsoever will immediately knock you down and you will probably die depending on the circumstances.

- You can perform a deflect out of a block, so if a combo is too tough to figure out, just find a blow that you can deflect and get some momentum going for yourself.

- Whenever you have positive Spirit stocked up, you can use the heavy attack (either on its own, or in the middle of a light attack combo) in order to cash it out and reduce their maximum negative Spirit gauge on top of dealing Spirit damage. Keep in mind that performing a finisher while they're staggered has a slight wind-up and if there is another guy who is in the fight, their attack could interrupt you and make you waste the opportunity.

- Some missions will saddle you with an AI partner automatically. If you let them get KO'd, you have a limited time to pick them up or else they will retreat from the battlefield until you hit up a battle flag for the reset. You should also be aware that if you call for help from an AI partner that isn't given to you by the mission and they retreat, they will not return to you and you will have to call for them again.

- Along with the above, if you are getting frustrated with the AI partner whether or not they're automatically assigned to you, there's an item in your inventory that will send them away. This is handy if the added HP on a specific boss fight is proving to be too troublesome, or if they keep getting downed because the AI is, frankly, kind of stupid at times.

- You can jump in this game and you can perform an aerial finisher if the enemy doesn't see you yet provided that you're high enough in the air for it. It's handy and you should look for good opportunities to bust it out and start (or end) a fight in style.

- Once you get a bit into the game, there's a free respec for your stats in case you want to experiment with spells and builds. No item, either; you just talk to a person.

- You can hit the deflect button when you fall from a high place in order to tuck and roll. This prevents fall damage, although don't expect to live through a really ridiculous fall.

- If you ever fall out of bounds (bottomless pit/water), you will be punted back to the last bit of ground you stood on and be left at 1 HP. Watch your step.

- Because of how the story progression works, it moves you from one main battlefield to the next unless there's a break, which I find to be annoying but I get why they did that. Anyway, you can always go to a battle flag and travel to any mission you want or to the base if you need to upgrade your stuff. If it's a sub mission or replay of a main mission and you finish it, you will be prompted to either try the mission again, return to your current main battlefield, or head back to base once you get that far in the game.

- Since spells and martial arts are tied to Spirit and no longer to items, you can use them as often as you want. The main issue is that doing it from 0 will most likely mean that you will hit -1000 Spirit (which also locks you out of doing any more spells and martial arts) and you need to start hitting people to get back into the positives again. Just mind what you're doing and you should be okay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

In practice you should kidnap everybody and everyone because the game automatically reassigns your dudes based on their skill level so lower level dudes will just get moved to make room for better ones.

Theres a binocular upgrade that scans the skill level of soldiers.

Ok, that's what I'm doing. Now, a couple more questions, since I'm at work now and can't check directly:

A) is there a downside, aside from the -300 each time and having to resupply, to literally Fulton-ing everyone? Does Fulton-ing multiple weapon installations (AA guns, mortars) do anything for me other than take them away from the enemy?

2) when I'm upgrading or researching weapons, is there a way that I could accidentally request research on something twice and waste resources? Or is everything I see on the list worth it, generally?

What I mean is, I see a bunch of stuff I already have (or at least I think I already have) and I don't necessarily want to research or develop something that I don't need to. Does the game allow me to accidentally double up on stuff like that, or is it only showing me stuff that I can get once or can still upgrade?

D) am I paying the soldiers that I'm not using? Should I dismiss the D and E ranks, or can they be trained up?

IV) Where's DD? I rescued him, he licked my face, Ocelot said he could train him, and then I never saw him again. I realize he'll eventually be ready to partner up, but until then, can I actually visit him on mother base?

These questions all come from the fact that I just haven't been at mother base that much, nor have I really dove into the upgrade/research screens; I just keep going back out into the field and causing mayhem. My favourite thing to do currently is setting C4 on the road and waiting for the cargo truck to drive by :ocelot::black101:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 8, 2023

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ok, that's what I'm doing. Now, a couple more questions, since I'm at work now and can't check directly:

A) is there a downside, aside from the -300 each time and having to resupply, to literally Fulton-ing everyone? Does Fulton-ing multiple weapon installations (AA guns, mortars) do anything for me other than take them away from the enemy?

2) when I'm upgrading or researching weapons, is there a way that I could accidentally request research on something twice and waste resources? Or is everything I see on the list worth it, generally?

What I mean is, I see a bunch of stuff I already have (or at least I think I already have) and I don't necessarily want to research or develop something that I don't need to. Does the game allow me to accidentally double up on stuff like that, or is it only showing me stuff that I can get once or can still upgrade?

D) am I paying the soldiers that I'm not using? Should I dismiss the D and E ranks, or can they be trained up?

IV) Where's DD? I rescued him, he licked my face, Ocelot said he could train him, and then I never saw him again. I realize he'll eventually be ready to partner up, but until then, can I actually visit him on mother base?

These questions all come from the fact that I just haven't been at mother base that much, nor have I really dove into the upgrade/research screens; I just keep going back out into the field and causing mayhem. My favourite thing to do currently is setting C4 on the road and waiting for the cargo truck to drive by :ocelot::black101:

I will note firstly as a general tip : Phantom Pain is basically gently caress Around and Find Out the game. If something seems like it'd work, try it. There's no real cost to failure.

A) You can sell big things like AA guns and vehicles. I think you can theoretically use some of them if you do the weird PVP game?

2) Shouldn't be able to 'waste' resources. Just research everything, there's no real shortage of materials, generally. And going to steal more can be fun too.

D) No and No, but there is a max limit which if you hit, then start firing guys.

IV) Keep visiting Mother Base (actually land there) to advance various things. Also explore it, there's some neat stuff. Including a whole side-quest that is some mixture of weird/cool/gross/pointless depending on how you feel about things. If you want a hint look for a room you can press a button to enter on the medical strut or watch the Chip Cheezum LP (up to whereever you are in the plot shouldn't give any spoilers otherwise, IIRC.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A Bystander posted:

Finished up Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty earlier and now I have some tips:

Coop-specific stuff that isn't explained well or sometimes at all:

- There is a limited number of 'lives'. If one person goes down, they can be revived by another player almost instantly, but if this happens enough times before hitting a flag (I think that resets it), it's game over.

- Likewise, if an enemy downs you in coop, that's considered a defeat on your end - the enemy will grow stronger and you will lose half your qi, even if revived. If you are downed again before defeating that particular enemy, that change for vengeance is lost and so is the qi.

- Enemies have a lot more health and a lot more spirit in coop, be aware.

- Flags can only be used once, it appears, to restore health and dragon pot uses. When anyone uses a flag for the first time after placing it, everyone will be teleported to it and will restore health/pots. After this, using the flag will let you level up and prepare spells and all that, but it will not teleport others to it, and it will not recover your health/pots.

- Enemies are aware of each player individually - just because an enemy is in a fight with one player doesn't mean you can't get a critical strike on it from behind or above if it hasn't become aware of you specifically

- It is endlessly entertaining to stunlock what should've been a tough enemy in a corner as three players are constantly just wailing on it to the point where it can't even move

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Also, generally if a mission has you interacting with one or more specific guys (Kill Guy X; Follow Guy Y), those guys are usually above-average in stats, so you should try to extract them if you can.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 9, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Like other people said, kidnap everyone especially people you interact with. You start getting way more higher class people to fulton later on.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Any tips for The Last Spell? It's fresh out of Early Access and I'm planning to try it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC you can upgrade your binoculars to include a Scouter function that displays their stats.
Before that, just kidnap everyone.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I know it's a loaded question, but anything for La Mulana? First one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Fat Samurai posted:

If you want to challenge the ruins without hints, take a lot of notes. More notes than you think you need, about everything that seems even marginally noteworthy. Every time you neglect to note down something interesting and where it's located, there's a chance you'll later spend hours trying to find that thing in the massive game world. Expect to spend a hundred hours and to solve a lot of puzzles by accident while trying out random stuff.

If you have a friend or someone else who knows the game and can give you hints when you're stuck, that's probably the best option. If not, here's a good guide that doesn't straight up hand you the solutions:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Save often.

Don't go exploring any deeper than the Gate of Guidance if you haven't unlocked the game's fast travel mechanic yet.

The game heavily rewards an eye for detail. Said detail usually has to do with the text hints, but sometimes is more visual in nature. (Related: take copious notes.)

Do not feel obligated to tackle any bosses or even minibosses right away when you encounter them. Some are deliberately intended to be fought later, and even for those which aren't, the game offers so many directions to explore. Conversely, some areas and puzzles aren't as endgame as their name might imply. Don't be held back by assumptions of what you can or can't do yet: try, possibly fail, make a note to try again later.

StoryTime posted:

If you have a friend or someone else who knows the game and can give you hints when you're stuck, that's probably the best option. If not, here's a good guide that doesn't straight up hand you the solutions:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096

And seconding this, both the "start with a friend in the know" and failing that the specific guide referenced. It's very easy to slippery-slope into just looking up puzzle solutions on the wiki, but not only would you miss out on most of the fun of solving them, you also - especially later on - wouldn't know why the solution is what it is.

Vil fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 14, 2023

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

In an early area, there's a tablet that warns you not to read it again. If you ignore the warning, it turns on hard mode, which can only be turned off by loading a save from before you read the tablet again or restarting.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks. I'm actually mapping the thing by hand (well, excel) and taking copious notes. Two specific questions:

- Is sound important? I usually have a podcast playing on the background and pay little attention to sounds.

- I'm bad at noticing, say, a bunch of rocks that are a slightly lighter shade of blue, or a bas-relief that is one pixel different from the one two screens ago. Are there many puzzles like that?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some Yakuza 3 tips I've had knocking around for a while and added to the wiki.

quote:

* Enemies in this entry are infamously block-happy, so throws and bladed weapons are particularly important. Buying and repairing a bunch of cheap knives can be a good investment, and you can also grab most downed opponents' legs for repeated throws.

* Bosses are quick to punish longer combos with counterattacks, so focus on shorter hit-and-dodge maneuvers.

* While the description only mentions reduced damage, the "Gauntlets" accessory actually lets you block bladed attacks barehanded which is very useful in some fights (and remains true in the next game). A guaranteed pair can be found in the Ryukyu key locker #28 once the lockers become available in chapter 4, the key of which is hidden between some buildings near the central Ryukyu save point and requires first-person view to pick up.

* You can learn Tiger Drop as early as chapter 5 after the substory "Return to the Dragon Palace", and as usual it is incredibly powerful once you get the timing down.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Random Hajile posted:

In an early area, there's a tablet that warns you not to read it again. If you ignore the warning, it turns on hard mode, which can only be turned off by loading a save from before you read the tablet again or restarting.

This might be the best “what should I know before I play this game” I’ve ever read

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. I'm actually mapping the thing by hand (well, excel) and taking copious notes. Two specific questions:

- Is sound important? I usually have a podcast playing on the background and pay little attention to sounds.

- I'm bad at noticing, say, a bunch of rocks that are a slightly lighter shade of blue, or a bas-relief that is one pixel different from the one two screens ago. Are there many puzzles like that?

Yes and yes.

Also if you die after turning on hard mode it also doesn't save and you will probably die immediately.

Anyway, no more questions, go in as blind as you currently are

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
what kind of game is la mulana? i always thought it was a bit like spelunky or maybe the other way around but maybe that's totally off base

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Random Hajile posted:

On the one hand, it's very valid and useful warning. OTOH, if you encounter a tablet saying DO NOT READ THIS AGAIN OR BAD STUFF HAPPENS, read it again, it changes the message, and you don't notice something's off at this point... you're gonna have problems with La-Mulana in general.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

what kind of game is la mulana? i always thought it was a bit like spelunky or maybe the other way around but maybe that's totally off base

A [remake of a] really old metroidvania with a total disregard for handholding.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Foul Fowl posted:

It’s a metroidvania with a lot of emphases on environmental puzzles and secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
cool i'll have to check it out :cheers: