Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey guys here's a 30 grand SFP28 switch for the home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The "home" bit isn't like, your house. It's your /home. This shows that it's aimed at the high end consumer /professional market

He explained that recently and I almost fell off my seat laughing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cantide posted:

I was for the first 30 seconds of the video then I stopped and decided to look for the price:
https://www.newegg.com/thinkstation...&quicklink=true

there’s more barebones ones for $1000ish

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/workstations/thinkstation-p-series/thinkstation-p360-ultra-(intel)/30g1002gus

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm still not seeing the appeal, you're paying over the odds for an i5 mainly for the ISV certification and then running Plex or whatever on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also paying for a 3 year on site warranty which is just lol for your home plex server.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe the plex server is critical for family peace?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Adolf Glitter posted:

The "home" bit isn't like, your house. It's your /home. This shows that it's aimed at the high end consumer /professional market

I just assumed they were playing 4D chess, reviewing hardware today for everyone that will be pulling it from eBay in 5-7 years for their homelabs.

Wibla posted:

Maybe the plex server is critical for family peace?

Enos Cabell posted:

I knew I shouldn't have signed that 99.99% Plex uptime SLA my wife shoved in my face.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just like enterprise hardware, I always emphasize to people building homelabs that, no, you do NOT need the sort of equipment I collect, I'm just insane and have an unhealthy addiction.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Please. We all know it's /usr/home and /etc/professional.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I just like enterprise hardware, I always emphasize to people building homelabs that, no, you do NOT need the sort of equipment I collect, I'm just insane and have an unhealthy addiction.

You say that, but $100 DAS boxes are :discourse:

With that many drives I wouldn't even mind running 3TB spindles, they're loving cheap to get when they die.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

You say that, but $100 DAS boxes are :discourse:

With that many drives I wouldn't even mind running 3TB spindles, they're loving cheap to get when they die.
Sure, so long as you can avoid drive-managed SMR.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

But the nvidia a5000 is half the fun

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Dear penthouse,
I never thought this could happen to me but I now have 483 gb of mirrored ZFS storage running on that rockpro64. Total cost?? only ~$300 ish dollars! That's better than 1 GB per dollar!!!

code:
ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer				1	$79.99
SERIAL CONSOLE "Woodpecker" Edition				1	$1.99
ROCKPro64 1x1 Dual Band WIFI 802.11AC/BLUETOOTH 5.0 MODULE	1	$14.99
ROCKPro64 Metal Desktop/NAS Casing				1	$49.99
Fan for ROCKPro64 Metal Desktop/NAS casing			1	$4.59
ROCKPro64 PCI-e X4 to M.2/NGFF NVMe SSD Interface Card		2	$11.98
USB 3.0 to SATA III HARD DRIVE ADAPTER CABLE/ CONVERTER with UASP	1	$9.99
USB Adapter for eMMC Module					1	$4.99
64GB eMMC Module						1	$34.95
+a new 8amp 12v supply... I only had a 4amp. 				$16
+cheapest PCI sata card at microcenter 					$20
I pretty much only got the M2 cards & Usb3 SATA adapter for troubleshooting, but whatever they're pretty neat. and I don't remember how much shipping was.

Next step buy some bigger disks after I'm happy with the install. Still need to set up samba and see if anything weird happens. Thanks for the advice to just prove it will even boot to begin with before looking for disks.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Is there a list or site out there that can quickly tell me what currently available external drives have a CMR type drive in them ? I have to replace an external used to hold backups so write speed is a priority. I vaguely recall seeing a site mentioned here that had to do with the $/gb of externals & shucking them but I cant remember the url.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MREBoy posted:

Is there a list or site out there that can quickly tell me what currently available external drives have a CMR type drive in them ? I have to replace an external used to hold backups so write speed is a priority. I vaguely recall seeing a site mentioned here that had to do with the $/gb of externals & shucking them but I cant remember the url.

https://shucks.top/
https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/ afaik this list gets updated as events warrant. So buying a WD external in sizes above 8TB is going to be CMR.

However: as a single drive, writing data in large chunks, SMR is just as fast as CMR. The problems with SMR are for multi-drive stripe layouts (raid0/5/6, zfs) and doing many small writes amid existing data. So depending on what backup system you use, it may or may not be an issue. (Mirroring data with rsync, probably bad. Full images or backup systems that write compressed archives, not a problem.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Drive-managed SMR still isn't great for single-disk storage, unless you're exclusively sticking to write-once-read-many data patterns and don't do any kind of random I/O on them.
If you ever delete files (breaking the WORM pattern) or read or write randomly, I/O goes to absolute poo poo in a very short amount of time (as soon as the few-hundred-megabyte cache fills up).

The worst is when vendors submarine SMR into CMR lines.

Speaking of non-poo poo SMR, Dropbox has an excellent overview showing how host-managed SMR can be used to great effect - provided you're a direct customer of the manufacturer, rather than going through a retailer.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

The Best Buy about a mile from my house has the WD 8TB My Book (WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN) for $160. I'd love to know what the significant differences are between the various Easystore, My Book, and Elements models beyond the different capacity ranges & external case appearance.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MREBoy posted:

I'd love to know what the significant differences are between the various Easystore, My Book, and Elements
Easystore is just the best buy version of elements.
My Book has hardware encryption on the usb controller, so don't assume you can read data off of the drive after shucking it. It will behave normally after formatting.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Easystore is just the best buy version of elements.
My Book has hardware encryption on the usb controller, so don't assume you can read data off of the drive after shucking it. It will behave normally after formatting.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear (or mention it at all) I'm not interested in buying this to shuck it, I need to replace an external that gets used 6 days a week by a backup app that does disk images of some other disks I have. In the last day or 2 its been doing things (randomly disappearing from Windows, I/O errors) that make me think its dying. Already copied off everything on it to another drive.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MREBoy posted:

I'm not interested in buying this to shuck it
In that case: The only difference really worth noting is three vs. two year warranty.

Also, the hardware encryption I mentioned earlier can make data recovery impossible in the event of a controller board failure.
I might be wrong about the hardware encryption.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Looks like they quit doing the weird encryption using the USB controller, and now are just using the standard drive encryption of the HDD inside. So if you chose to encrypt the drive and the enclosure fails, you can read it with a normal PC (and the password).

That said, use Bitlocker if you want to encrypt your drives, not drive-based or whatever junk comes with some cheap hardware.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
newegg has the 18tb elements on sale for $250 today. 1 per person but that's way better than the 500 gb disks I'm running at the moment.

I also have an old drobo b800i I want to use, but geez what a pain. At least I got it for free full of 2tb disks. Terrified of it going down and ANYTHING on it being needed due to their impenetrable data scheme. Maybe better to try and sell it on instead?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Vaporware posted:

newegg has the 18tb elements on sale for $250 today.
A great deal. I jumped on this right after reading your post.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

Looks like they quit doing the weird encryption using the USB controller, and now are just using the standard drive encryption of the HDD inside. So if you chose to encrypt the drive and the enclosure fails, you can read it with a normal PC (and the password).

That said, use Bitlocker if you want to encrypt your drives, not drive-based or whatever junk comes with some cheap hardware.

Bitlocker used to use the drive's native encryption if available - did they change that after the vulnerabilities?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

Bitlocker used to use the drive's native encryption if available - did they change that after the vulnerabilities?

Yes.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

newegg has the 18tb elements on sale for $250 today

this is still up so I'm going to try and order another? lol if they let me then that makes this easy.

edit: they said "out of stock" this morning oh well, at least I got one.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 20, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I started using a NAS a couple years ago, just an AMD APU on an m-itx board, with an SSD for the OS and a 4tb WD Red drive for files. It's mainly a Plex server, torrent box, and a home cloud backup for my phone (syncthing).

I'm starting to run out of space in the one 4tb drive and I'm considering where to go from here. Im either going to add another drive and go for a RAID setup, or replace this drive with a larger one. A few questions:

1) I've never done any variation of RAID. I believe I've heard that hardware RAID is out of favour these days, so is there a preferred software thing or are people doing this in BIOS? My low power APU is already barely good enough to transcode a media file, would I have trouble with software RAID? Is this just a windows feature now?

2) Would I need to buy another of the same capacity drive to do RAID properly? If not I'd rather buy a larger drive and enjoy the extra space. If I do need to have two of the same capacity, I'll just get two larger drives.

3) What's the thread opinion on preferred NAS drives these days? I'm happy with the red but I see there's also Red Plus and Red Pro. These seem like they're just more robust in terms of operating conditions and some better internal tech that makes them less likely to fail. I don't mind spending a little more for the Plus drives but I don't imagine there's any benefit to the Pro in my use case. Is there another product that is a thread favorite for NAS drives?

Thanks!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

VelociBacon posted:

I started using a NAS a couple years ago, just an AMD APU on an m-itx board, with an SSD for the OS and a 4tb WD Red drive for files. It's mainly a Plex server, torrent box, and a home cloud backup for my phone (syncthing).

I'm starting to run out of space in the one 4tb drive and I'm considering where to go from here. Im either going to add another drive and go for a RAID setup, or replace this drive with a larger one. A few questions:

1) I've never done any variation of RAID. I believe I've heard that hardware RAID is out of favour these days, so is there a preferred software thing or are people doing this in BIOS? My low power APU is already barely good enough to transcode a media file, would I have trouble with software RAID? Is this just a windows feature now?

2) Would I need to buy another of the same capacity drive to do RAID properly? If not I'd rather buy a larger drive and enjoy the extra space. If I do need to have two of the same capacity, I'll just get two larger drives.

3) What's the thread opinion on preferred NAS drives these days? I'm happy with the red but I see there's also Red Plus and Red Pro. These seem like they're just more robust in terms of operating conditions and some better internal tech that makes them less likely to fail. I don't mind spending a little more for the Plus drives but I don't imagine there's any benefit to the Pro in my use case. Is there another product that is a thread favorite for NAS drives?

Thanks!

Raid isn't really what you are looking for in this case. Raid levels would be:
raid 1 (no added capacity, but you have more redundency)
raid 0 (no redundency, doubled failure rate)
raid 5 with 3 drives or more (it can handle 1 drive failure, you lose 1 drive of capacity) - aka raid z1 with zfs
raid 6 with 4 drives or more (it can handle any 2 drive failures, you lose 2 drives of capacity) - aka raid z2 in zfs
raid 10 (a combo of 0 + 1)

In any of these except for 1, you'd have to wipe the drive and start fresh to configure it that way.

Hardware raid and Windows is not the right tool for this task. What you really want is to just buy a bigger drive or drives and set them up in the configuration you want, preferably in something like TrueNAS, then transfer the data over from your current drive.
People also like unraid, but I don't know anything about it except that you're licensing it onto a usb key??????

As for drives, WD has:
Red: up to 6tb is SMR, which is not suitable for any kind of redundency or performance
Red Plus: Capacities of 8tb and up are CMR, which is what you want. "5400rpm" performance, which is fine for your application
Red Pro: Also CMR, but with the 7200rpm performance. Also louder and takes more power.
Gold: Enterprise drives which are good and expensive
Various easystore, easyshare, mybook, etc external drives: Usually have white label versions of one of the drives above inside, usually much cheaper than buying the bare drive. You pay for this with a lesser warranty, and some of them won’t work with a regular sata power connector (easy fix)
Seagate has a bunch of drives but gently caress seagate

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Depends on your goals. If you just need a home server, simplex isn't the worst, but you still need to arrange a remote backup somehow. Either manually put a drive copy in a safety deposit box occasionally (lol that's a lot of work) or carbonite/other online slow sync.

I'm going simply for a mirrored drive setup (RAID1). Big drives are absurdly cheap right now. I think I paid like $150 for a 5tb a couple years ago and I just got 18tb disks for $250 last week. I'm doing software raid because I'm just not interested in running loud, power hungry server stuff that work is tossing out.

The keywords you're looking for regarding drives at the moment are CMR and SMR. basically SMR is slower (for the time being) due to read and write structure.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If you do go down the unraid route you're going to want to pick up 2 new drives - one for parity and one for data. Unraid limits the total storage available per risk to the size of the parity drive so this should match the largest single risk in your array. Now you could run without parity but you won't have a chance to rebuild if something fails it'll be gone.

Unraid doesn't offer a very high degree of data protection so I'd only recommend it for media/stuff easily replaced in the worst case. Anything important should be backed up somewhere else like B2 which it can do selectively and automatically.

I personally love unraid at home and if you start with trash guides from the get go you'll have a great time moving to docker and the arrs etc. It definitely isn't close to an enterprise grade backup solution but it is great for home use like your scenario and hardware, noting the above.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
unraid is great I run two instances one is primarily backups of the main one, irreplaceable important stuff also gets backed up to google drive as well

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't make me tap the data resiliency sign.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Don't make me tap the data resiliency sign.

:hmmyes:

if it’s not in at least 3 places it doesn’t exist

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

e.pilot posted:

:hmmyes:

if it’s not in at least 3 places it doesn’t exist
Oh, that's the backup sign.

The data resiliency sign is the one about synchronizing bad data because the primary filesystem wasn't design around the notion that disks lie all the time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oh, that's the backup sign.

The data resiliency sign is the one about synchronizing bad data because the primary filesystem wasn't design around the notion that disks lie all the time.

It's fine. Anyone starting out in this doesn't care.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Hey guys. I shoot photos as a hobby and would like to set up a NAS for photo backup (yee 100,000+ catalog). I'm pretty new to this thing, having survived off a series of poorly maintained external hard drives. The primary use of this NAS would be photo access and storage for 1-5 users. Eventually I'd like to get back into serving obscure sci-fi off Plex to my local network, but that's much less pressing.

I was thinking about purchasing the Synology DS923+ w/ WD Red Plus drives from B&H photo, and was wondering if anybody had other recommendations.

I'd also like to purchase a backup supply, and was debating between APC or Cyberpower and it looks like opinions are mixed at this time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
what’s your budget and technical abilities

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

e.pilot posted:

what’s your budget and technical abilities

Ideally under $1-2k. Can go over but need good use case.
Technical abilities are mild-moderate at best, hence why Synology's 'just set up and go' is probably idea for me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Unraid 6.12 is adding zfs support

I think the next time 14TB EasyStores go on sale, I’ll pick up 2x of them and do the data shuffle, move data off 4x10TB drives, and reformat them for zfs pool for faster access to certain files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Corb3t posted:

Unraid 6.12 is adding zfs support

I think the next time 14TB EasyStores go on sale, I’ll pick up 2x of them and do the data shuffle, move data off 4x10TB drives, and reformat them for zfs pool for faster access to certain files.

Nice, just in time for me to finally assemble my new NAS box and move stuff over, that rocks.