Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ukraine also bad because it's a distraction from the true enemy of all humanity: China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xitler

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

They’re literally paying Ukrainian pensions and salaries while claiming the cupboard is bare for very basic services at home.

good

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

it's an industrial plant with a lot of big buildings and tunnels that's probably one of the most defensible parts of the town

Azovstal 2???

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

They’re literally paying Ukrainian pensions and salaries while claiming the cupboard is bare for very basic services at home.

I think complicating things: Ukrainian salaries have been slashed and both salaries/pensions have also been eaten up by inflation on top of that looking at random prices being shown in Ukrainian stores (prices are starting to look more like Russian prices in Rubles than pre-war prices), the Ukrainian people are having a pretty rough time just from an economic perspective.

Obviously, the solution would be for the war to end but really the Ukrainians themselves are just being given enough to keep going unless they are soldiers directly on the frontline in a fighting capacity.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Atrocious Joe posted:

Azovstal 2???

seems like it's not quite as extensive or defensible as Azovstal but something along those lines

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

Azovstal 2???

some strange precursor civilisation left behind a series of fortress cities

we can't know who they were but they were very advanced

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dunno if we're gonna see many more azovstals given that the azov guys were left to their fate and everybody knows it. kinda hard to sell something like that more than once

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t get why he’s teeing himself up like this

it's actually quite simple, as long as big z gives a good show of being some defiant hero he is all but guaranteed a plumb spot on the grifting circuit once all this is over

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Regarde Aduck posted:

some strange precursor civilisation left behind a series of fortress cities

we can't know who they were but they were very advanced

The Aelyid?

The Dwemer?

The Protheans?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Is it wishful thinking to think that the more fighting strength they commit to this obviously losing situation, the faster the war will be able to come to a close afterwards?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Every single goddamn time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cookie Cutter posted:

Is it wishful thinking to think that the more fighting strength they commit to this obviously losing situation, the faster the war will be able to come to a close afterwards?

It would require Russia to land a knockout blow which the meteorology and hydrology don’t support now that they’re on the east side of the Dnieper and there’s still about two months of mud ahead. Beyond that, it would require pretty serious casualties and I don’t think the Russians will go for that either. Which means, the tempo is determined by Ukraine feeding forces into a grinder, not Russia taking advantage of it.

Having said that, Ukraine might feed forces into a grinder until they collapse, I have no idea where their minds are at.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

The Aelyid?

The Dwemer?

The Protheans?

the Isu

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

It would require Russia to land a knockout blow which the meteorology and hydrology don’t support now that they’re on the east side of the Dnieper and there’s still about two months of mud ahead. Beyond that, it would require pretty serious casualties and I don’t think the Russians will go for that either. Which means, the tempo is determined by Ukraine feeding forces into a grinder, not Russia taking advantage of it.

Having said that, Ukraine might feed forces into a grinder until they collapse, I have no idea where their minds are at.

We will see, but the situation is very much favoring the Russians who can continue to squeeze Bakhmut with fairly limited push back (so far at least) and have their enemy attempting to move forces back and forth under their guns. There isn’t a particular reason for the Russians to stop this either since they know that Bakhmut can’t only be held by green forces and that the Ukrainians are going to take heavy attrition in either direction. It seems like the Russians have also been able to probe further West without much of a pushback. If the Ukrainians attempt a counter-attack it is going to be against entrenched positions In unfavorable conditions (along with the other advantages the Russians have).

For he Ukrainians, Bakhmut has become a political issue and they are going to keep feeding forces in probably until the Russians can find an opening.

As for the big offensive, it probably depend on if the Ukrainians can hold a cohesive front line and if the Russians sense opportunity. They are in it for the long war but I don’t think they still stay put no matter what.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 14, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When you frame it like that, if the Ukrainians decided to fight their own Battle of the Bulge, Spring Awakening, attempt to relieve Budapest, then yes I agree that would shorten the war because they’d be exposing their remaining forces to Russian firepower. Remember it was a Ukrainian counterattack in 2015 that led to an entire mechanized brigade being destroyed in about 15 minutes as they came under Russian MRLS fire. More to the point, spectacular Ukrainian losses that don’t achieve a much celebrated result in the west won’t be made good with western aid, which relies on a narrative of their success.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Western intelligence is now positing that the ragtag group of freelance divers operating off of a small boat used a magic super bomb to blow up Nord Stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do you think if you offered to sell the Ukrainians Red Mercury you’d get murdered by the SBU or is there a chance you could get away with it?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's actually quite simple, as long as big z gives a good show of being some defiant hero he is all but guaranteed a plumb spot on the grifting circuit once all this is over

he has to make it out alive for that and he is surrounded by some true believers who will make that difficult.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you think if you offered to sell the Ukrainians Red Mercury you’d get murdered by the SBU or is there a chance you could get away with it?

the SBU or your wife?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Looks like Zelensky got to go to the Oscars after all.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

When you frame it like that, if the Ukrainians decided to fight their own Battle of the Bulge, Spring Awakening, attempt to relieve Budapest, then yes I agree that would shorten the war because they’d be exposing their remaining forces to Russian firepower. Remember it was a Ukrainian counterattack in 2015 that led to an entire mechanized brigade being destroyed in about 15 minutes as they came under Russian MRLS fire. More to the point, spectacular Ukrainian losses that don’t achieve a much celebrated result in the west won’t be made good with western aid, which relies on a narrative of their success.

Well part of that narrative is the Russians are “losing” and if they can take such a strategic town that even people in the West have heard about on the news, it greatly complicates what they can selling. If the Russians are taking “near total” casualties but still moving toward taking cities the narrative gets a lot weaker.

For the Russian side, they are happy with degrading the forces sent it, and since they are they for the long haul, the timing doesn’t matter as much.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ukraine should think twice before engaging in a human wave attack, for while it may be tempting to fight fire with fire, the mental taint of the orcine hordes is opportunistic, and virile

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

incredible

anton CHUDski

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Ukraine should think twice before engaging in a human wave attack, for while it may be tempting to fight fire with fire, the mental taint of the orcine hordes is opportunistic, and virile

Yeah the strat doesn’t make sense if you don’t get WAAAUGH points

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

hehe mental taint

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

i dunno if we're gonna see many more azovstals given that the azov guys were left to their fate and everybody knows it. kinda hard to sell something like that more than once

The ones who were captured then traded back to Ukraine so they could be national heroes and then go back to fighting? Probably not the worst outcome for people at war tbh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Was it here or somewhere else I saw the comparison being made to Debaltsevo already?

But going by yesterday's telegram. Ukrainian doomers expect something mid this week, Russian doomers mid next month.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sound posted:

The ones who were captured then traded back to Ukraine so they could be national heroes and then go back to fighting? Probably not the worst outcome for people at war tbh

yeah that poo poo was hosed

I don't have the psychotic 420th dimensional chess mind to understand why you would do that poo poo while the war was still going on

just pissing on the deaths of your own troops, most of which died because the initial invasion was a shambles

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
You know they didn’t get nothing in return for those prisoners right, a lot of the guys returned to were pilots, who honestly are just more valuable.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Ukraine also bad because it's a distraction from the true enemy of all humanity: China

Literally the Republican position lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As a middle aged man, I feel like the Ukrainian willingness to put middle aged men on the front lines sets an unhealthy precedent.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah that poo poo was hosed

I don't have the psychotic 420th dimensional chess mind to understand why you would do that poo poo while the war was still going on

just pissing on the deaths of your own troops, most of which died because the initial invasion was a shambles

wonder if there's gonna be any two timers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

You know they didn’t get nothing in return for those prisoners right, a lot of the guys returned to were pilots, who honestly are just more valuable.

I get it but

Повёрнутые на Z войне 🇷🇺 posted:

(from t.me/voenacher/29397, via tgsa)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

wonder if there's gonna be any two timers

Supposedly

https://twitter.com/nikola_mikovic/status/1633935599898882049

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

oh god that guy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah i don't care if they got pilots back, put these war tourists down

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

As a middle aged man, I feel like the Ukrainian willingness to put middle aged men on the front lines sets an unhealthy precedent.

Get ready to die for profits

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean the obvious conclusion the Russians are going to make is to not return any more prisoners.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

35 was traditionally the cutoff in Western militaries. Still is for the FFL and RM.

As for paroling POWs, tick that as another box in the Bruderkrieg chart. During the first half of the ACW there was a parole system and a good amount of released prisoners promptly rejoined their units.

This led to the creation of POW camps, which I’m sure you have heard of. Andersonville being the most famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Did that change in the second half?