Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Me, to datto, unironically: “try strikes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

But if da wittle stweemypoos use non-meta weapons they can't show off how 1337 they are with their adept god rolls and t40-50 artifice armor

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Playing through Lightfall campaign now, finally, on Legendary difficulty, and I'm not enjoying it quite as much so far as I did Witch Queen. I'm not entirely sure what's going on in the story and a lot of the boss encounters feel like they're just putting me in a small room with a big Vex and hoping I don't die in one hit.

Neomuna is very pretty but it's difficult to tell where I am and am not allowed to be, and one of the big things I like doing in this game is quietly exploring the places like I'm playing a Metroid game. It's also frustrating that it seems to be built with the expectation that you're going to be using the grapple to get around, but now I'm three or four missions into the story and I'm still not allowed to actually use that class?

Maybe this is an adjunct take to the stuff about career streamers and difficulty, but it seems like the progression of the campaign/new area/maybe entire game are built on the idea that this is the only thing you do, all day, every day. Some friends wanted to know if I wanted to try the new raid with them yesterday and I wouldn't even have been allowed, because I've only been playing on weekends. Why gate everything so much?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ChaosReaper posted:

Yea this was my issue with his and other content creator's takes. It's one thing to be disappointed that Bungie seemed to miss the mark on contest mode, but it's another to then use that to whine about powercreep or that this is the death of contest mode raiding. I mean the opening to that Datto video has him saying that the casuals have won and gotten contest mode tuned for them while the rest of the game is casuals just getting their poo poo pushed in everywhere else. I would bet that Bungie just messed up the tuning of the mode and along with more people running with more things unlocked made it seem easier. I would almost guarantee that even with more people doing contest than ever that Bungie swings the other way and makes it even more difficult again because of the backlash from the most visible part of the community.

Almost certainly agree with you on that last part.i think most people would agree that the raid to take down walt witness' true final form should be discussed in hushed tones of reverence, like doing week one riven legit. But you know, we'll see.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Why can’t I get the catalyst for my Osteo Striga? Internet says I just need it to get to level 10, but it’s currently 13 and it doesn’t even have a catalyst slot.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Bleck posted:

Maybe this is an adjunct take to the stuff about career streamers and difficulty, but it seems like the progression of the campaign/new area/maybe entire game are built on the idea that this is the only thing you do, all day, every day. Some friends wanted to know if I wanted to try the new raid with them yesterday and I wouldn't even have been allowed, because I've only been playing on weekends. Why gate everything so much?

Funnily enough every time it’s not like that and things are made accessible or to not require you play Destiny exclusively, the usual suspects (streamers, YouTubers, Redditors who import their opinions wholesale from the former) pitch a fit

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Why can’t I get the catalyst for my Osteo Striga? Internet says I just need it to get to level 10, but it’s currently 13 and it doesn’t even have a catalyst slot.
Shouldn't you be able to reshape it to give it a catalyst at the Enclave?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

did you try reshaping it? if so I have no idea

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

iirc you'll unlock the ability to slot a catalyst after you hit lvl 10

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

did you try reshaping it? if so I have no idea

That did it! I totally forgot about weapon crafting, just needed to unequip it and go to Mars.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Funnily enough every time it’s not like that and things are made accessible or to not require you play Destiny exclusively, the usual suspects (streamers, YouTubers, Redditors who import their opinions wholesale from the former) pitch a fit

That was Year 1 of Destiny 2 and it was awful. Like there’s a ton of content in this game now for playing casually, but raids are endgame content so it does require a bit more time from the player. In Year 1 you could play on the weekly reset day and have nothing to do the rest of the week.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 14, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the problem was the sandbox and the large chunks of time where nothing was happening. that’s why they went season mode and brought back random rolls

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ChaosReaper posted:

I would almost guarantee that even with more people doing contest than ever that Bungie swings the other way and makes it even more difficult again because of the backlash from the most visible part of the community.

I would disagree with this, mostly because while Bungie often says they listen to vocal feedback (and they probably do - to a limited degree) what more often drives their action are metrics. They can track and analyze basically everything players do, both individually and in aggregate, and is the primary method by which they determine tuning strategies. They had a huge article a few months back where they took a deep dive into weapon archetype tuning and you see them drop detailed tracking of how each archetype contributes to, for example, total crucible kills for that weapon. There are obviously major disadvantages to focusing only on statistics for big sweeping changes to the game but it does have it's advantages and is pretty good not just at identifying certain balance problems but how severe those problems are in comparison to other comparable issues.

I'm betting right now the metrics for Root of Nightmares look pretty amazing to Bungie. Say what you will about the difficulty, say what you will about content creators griping about the Ultimate Victory of the Casual, 45000+ clears of a launch raid is going to look like a win for them. I bet the number of people who participated in the raid, not just cleared, was also way up; if the numbers continue to climb now that contest is over Bungie will not just take this as a good raid launch but also possibly a reversal of player opinion after a pretty rough couple opening weeks. If an ultra-hardcore player quits the game because they can't enjoy hard Contests anymore, but also several thousand players start raiding now when they haven't before, is that a good trade? I bet there's some talk along those lines happening right now.

There's another aspect to consider as well; at the end of the day, this content is designed to be beaten. Oh, players and Bungie alike can talk a good game about challenge and skill requirements but the purpose of all game content is to be an approachable experience to at least a subset of players. Hard, but not too hard. People might trade stories about how hard Last Wish was at release and how they should go back to that level of difficulty, but I bet you all the money in my pockets that there were a lot of tense meetings at Bungie about content difficulty and progression when only two groups got the 24 hour emblem for that raid. When two groups manage it, sure, it's a very hard raid; if zero groups had managed it there would be an emblem in the game that no one had and I guarantee you the narrative on social media would have been that Bungie hosed up. It's unsurprising that they've never let raids get that hard since (as well as the addition of contest mode to smooth out power progression in advance of raid launches).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys are really dumb. The issue was that contest mode, a thing made to be a challenge, wasn't a challenge. That's it. That's all they're complaining about.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think purple primaries should get buffed across the board. You can make case by case exceptions but dang, come on, let's make primaries viable again. Probably go a good way to lessen the "empty your HC mag to kill a red bar" problem and also, get this, might make those guns feel nice to use again.

Personally I'm looking forward to running the lovely, terrible, way too easy raid at some stage. Because I am lovely, terrible and way too bad at games, so it sounds great.

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys are really dumb. The issue was that contest mode, a thing made to be a challenge, wasn't a challenge. That's it. That's all they're complaining about.

Also this because I watched (some) of the Datto video and he starts it by saying he just wants to whine as a hardcore player. Which is pretty fair. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's allowed to have found it unsatisfying.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The real challenge was the bungie we got along the way

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sometimes the raids are easier than usual. There’s only so many times you can stand on a loving plate in a raid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I agree, but the difficulty conversation around the game right now is happening in terms that are way too two-dimensional. The difficulty Bungie seems to have had in mind in “bringing challenge back to Destiny” with Lightfall has apparently just been to crank up health and damage values on enemies and dust off their hands, which has resulted in the game’s oft-exalted gunfeel falling to poo poo as it takes three hand cannon crits to take down a minor enemy. There are ways to increase difficulty without making the game feel like poo poo, it’s the balance that practically every game developer aspires for, and Bungie came the closest to it with Witch Queen’s legendary campaign. I agree that RoN isn’t great but it’s because the mechanics are so simple that every encounter except planets has like three people on add clear at any given time.

I’m also just not even the least bit sympathetic to complaints from streamers that a lot of people managed to clear this contest mode - in a game where the difficulty is bizarrely only available for the first 48 hours (or less!) this is the next best thing to what Bungie should actually be doing, which is making contest mode difficult, optional, and permanent, which would solve pretty much everyone’s problems here. And you could say “but Master Mode is still coming,” and this is where I insert my speculation that I think Master RoN is going to use the same values as Contest Mode in an effort to get more people to do Master raids alongside the rework to adept raid weapons that’s happening when it launches.

It’s just that when Datto puts out a video where he’s practically spitting phlegm into his mic about how outraged he is that more than a hundred people worldwide were able to finish the raid on day one, I find that loving pathetic. Everyone agrees the DCV sucks. I have active contempt for this idea that more poo poo needs to be time-gated and impossible to serve the player base with the top 1% of playtime.

I have thoughts i'll fart into the wind about the raid but Master mode has a weapons surge and the presence of champions which mean you just roll an aeons or 2 and heavy everything to death. I unironically believe that you'll get through master maining just a MG and be fine. Enemies also do NOT have more health and are NOT harder to stun so it will be much easier than contest which is.....dissapointing.

I also agree with everything datto said so :shrug:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm so sad there weren't a billion stupid symbols to memorize that you could only view on the lunar eclipse, SO SAD

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

My opinion on the raid difficulty - as someone who hasn't raided since vault of glass in the first game - is that hearing that this raid is "easy" has made me really think about trying to get back into raiding.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have thoughts i'll fart into the wind about the raid but Master mode has a weapons surge and the presence of champions which mean you just roll an aeons or 2 and heavy everything to death. I unironically believe that you'll get through master maining just a MG and be fine. Enemies also do NOT have more health and are NOT harder to stun so it will be much easier than contest which is.....dissapointing.

I’m expecting Master mode to have -20 power like a Master NF does.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
They really screwed themselves with the idea of contest mode as it’s own thing that isn’t the normal raid but also isn’t the master raid or whatever other level. There isn’t a test sever in Destiny, no one has ever run the raid prior to release. The only day one thing should be a verified first completion. Contest mode is just marketing and trying to make content creators happy, to the point you can get an emblem for watching enough twitch.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys are really dumb.

gently caress you too.

Waroduce posted:

If this means Bungie has to reconsider the mutators on Master then fine - the central point is that having an aspirational challenge that players only have a day or two to actually do is an inherently stupid idea. Even several streamers have admitted they hate the grind race in the first week and a half of an expansion to be able to compete in contest mode. If they want to put themselves through it for bragging rights on how fast they can do the raid after launch, be my guest, but it shouldn’t be a requirement to ever be able to do it. This isn’t even getting into how the placement race is already its own kind of challenge.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Silly question but how long do the raids take? I might try one tonight, but want to know how much time I need to budget if I go through start to finish, with relatively few fuckups.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Most of them were complaining about the mechanics being too simple, which is not something that changes once challenge mode goes away.

Meiteron posted:

They had a huge article a few months back where they took a deep dive into weapon archetype tuning and you see them drop detailed tracking of how each archetype contributes to, for example, total crucible kills for that weapon.
The annoying thing about this is when the gun tuning feels generally awful but they accidentally make one gun feel really good to use, and then everyone starts using it; so instead of asking why people are using that one gun they detune it so it feels as poo poo as everything else, because of course the only reason anyone would be using one gun is because it's overpowered in crucible, right?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

gently caress you too.

If this means Bungie has to reconsider the mutators on Master then fine - the central point is that having an aspirational challenge that players only have a day or two to actually do is an inherently stupid idea. Even several streamers have admitted they hate the grind race in the first week and a half of an expansion to be able to compete in contest mode. If they want to put themselves through it for bragging rights on how fast they can do the raid after launch, be my guest, but it shouldn’t be a requirement to ever be able to do it. This isn’t even getting into how the placement race is already its own kind of challenge.

None of these streamers had to grind like they did because contest capped players at 1780 anyway.

Like Sweatcicle played Lightfall for 21 hours on release day. He was raid ready like 10 hours in.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 14, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Von Linus posted:

Silly question but how long do the raids take? I might try one tonight, but want to know how much time I need to budget if I go through start to finish, with relatively few fuckups.

once you know what you’re doing they take about 45 minutes. if you’re learning, and especially if other people are learning too, expect them to take between two and five hours depending on how dogshit dumb your weakest link is and how mechanics-heavy a given raid is.

but. even if you’re playing with people so stupid they could have a successful YouTube channel and you’re playing the most mechanically difficult raid, there is checkpointing after every encounter, so you can pick up where you left off so long as you finish it before the next weekly reset

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Most of them were complaining about the mechanics being too simple, which is not something that changes once challenge mode goes away.

The annoying thing about this is when the gun tuning feels generally awful but they accidentally make one gun feel really good to use, and then everyone starts using it; so instead of asking why people are using that one gun they detune it so it feels as poo poo as everything else, because of course the only reason anyone would be using one gun is because it's overpowered in crucible, right?

That is part of the problem.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Every solar warlock main has that sword of damocles hanging over them right now, waiting for the day Bungie destroys Starfire and thus the only way to have fun while running that garbo subclass

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

arsenicCatnip posted:

Every solar warlock main has that sword of damocles hanging over them right now, waiting for the day Bungie destroys Starfire and thus the only way to have fun while running that garbo subclass

They’ll still have sunbracers and mytho / rain of fire, op

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

arsenicCatnip posted:

I never wear the ugly bathrobe, real Solar Warlocks run Heat Rises / Icarus Dash. And this season you can do that while also running those disgusting firebolt grenade artifact mods!!!!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’ll still have sunbracers and mytho / rain of fire, op

Sunbracers only procs like 25% of the time I use it but apparently it works better with the other melee so I might look into it

Mytho / RoF does rule but we're the only 2 people in the world with mythoclast so I am speaking for the rest of the population

Roctavian posted:

I never wear the ugly bathrobe, real Solar Warlocks run Heat Rises / Icarus Dash. And this season you can do that while also running those disgusting firebolt grenade artifact mods!!!!

You will catch me dead before you catch me thinking about airborne effectiveness

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

hey guys look at me, floating in the open air, soaking shots from every enemy on this planets entire hemisphere.

But at least I have better accuracy!

(airborne builds need tuning)

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

Bleck posted:

Playing through Lightfall campaign now, finally, on Legendary difficulty, and I'm not enjoying it quite as much so far as I did Witch Queen.

Bleck posted:

It's also frustrating that it seems to be built with the expectation that you're going to be using the grapple to get around, but now I'm three or four missions into the story and I'm still not allowed to actually use that class?

For me, one of the best parts of Witch Queen campaign was getting the void subclass rework simultaneously and using it throughout the whole campaign to learn how to use it properly in challenging content. They should have just given you Strand from the rip and let you actually learn it over time yourself instead of the stupid Osiris yells at you for two minutes segments.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aqua Dracula posted:

For me, one of the best parts of Witch Queen campaign was getting the void subclass rework simultaneously and using it throughout the whole campaign to learn how to use it properly in challenging content. They should have just given you Strand from the rip and let you actually learn it over time yourself instead of the stupid Osiris yells at you for two minutes segments.

People didn't read the tooltips when they popped up one by one in each segment to teach you the class bit by bit. Do you think that just letting them have everything and letting them learn on their own would have been more helpful?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

arsenicCatnip posted:

Sunbracers only procs like 25% of the time I use it but apparently it works better with the other melee so I might look into it

Mytho / RoF does rule but we're the only 2 people in the world with mythoclast so I am speaking for the rest of the population

You will catch me dead before you catch me thinking about airborne effectiveness

I don't even know what airborne effectiveness does, mostly it's that my health never stops regenerating so I never die, plus icarus dash saves you from getting booped off the map at least half the time that it occurs (6000 mph departure flights notwithstanding)

I'm also running vex/RoF fwiw

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Roctavian posted:

I don't even know what airborne effectiveness does, mostly it's that my health never stops regenerating so I never die, plus icarus dash saves you from getting booped off the map at least half the time that it occurs (6000 mph departure flights notwithstanding)

I'm also running vex/RoF fwiw

Fair enough. Every time I try and do airborne stuff as Warlock I get hosed so I never really mess around with heat rises, especially when ToF fusions are such powerful tools. That being said I'm pretty much always running Strand nowadays

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spanish Manlove posted:

People didn't read the tooltips when they popped up one by one in each segment to teach you the class bit by bit. Do you think that just letting them have everything and letting them learn on their own would have been more helpful?

I really would've preferred to be able to build craft around Strand during the campaign rather than have it come in, kick my build down a flight of stairs and tell me to go fight this boss with no customization and no ability to actually read what anything does because the tooltip that explained it was like two hours ago.

Took me forever to figure out that Silkweave has a heavy attack because I forgot the tooltip said it did.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People are using Starfire? In the season of Dawn Chorus Firebolts??

Deviants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm trying to figure out what build to take. I'm tempted to go Strand Titan if for no other reason then I started at the end of which queen and don't have a ton of old Exotics. Anyone know what the best legindary agnostic build is these days. Mostly PVE but some Gambit.