Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

15 minutes after this tweet:

https://twitter.com/PGATOURLIVE/status/1633829887009239041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Earlier this week, played 9 holes, as I described. I'm not a 9 hole guy, it feels incomplete. But, I book as a single, and that's the way courses are. Got it.

9:40 tee time. Called ahead that morning, anything earlier? No. Showed up, 9:10, anything earlier? No. Hit balls, went to starter at 9:30. He says I'm part of a 4 ball, good. A single tees off on #1, a single tees off on #10. I ask the starter if those are singles, yes. I wait. 3 guys show up to check in at 9:38, but stand around chatting. I walk to starter, hear him tell them, "well, there's no one on 10, so you can go now. I interrupt, and tell him my name again, teeing off on #10. He says I should wait while he calls my group. He does. I stare at him, it's 9:40. He finally says, Ok, you can tee off now. I catch up to the single in front of me on 13, we play out together.

I check for tee times on Friday, starting Tuesday night. For a single, first tee time is 1010, or 940 for back 9. Check their affiliate course, tee times at 8, 810, 820, 830, 840, 850, 900, 910 and 920 are open, so they won't book a single. Check on Wednesday. Same times. Thursday, same. Called the booking number to see if they can book a single, no, they use the same computer booker we do. Puts me through to the pro shop. After checking with the head pro, he says he'll allow me to book a time as a single since the first 9 tee times are open.

Why don't courses realize that if they release a few early times to singles when they're open, that they'll fill quickly? By the time I show up tomorrow, I bet it will be 4 singles playing together who have been waiting for a tee time to be available to them.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I kind of want to join a private club largely so I can randomly walk on as a single all the time without issue.

wyoak posted:

12.5 with a stiff shaft seems like an unusual combo. Most drivers are adjustable +- 1.5 or 2 degrees, getting a 10.5 degree head would give you a pretty wide range to test

or just get fitted
Once I get a couple things in my swing fixed I will get fitted.

Though I am now kind of miffed that the launch monitor I decided on doesn't have AoA information.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 10, 2023

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
e: quote is not edit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gvibes posted:

I kind of want to join a private club largely so I can randomly walk on a single all the time without issue.

this was a huge reason I joined, maybe the biggest.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Earlier this week, played 9 holes, as I described. I'm not a 9 hole guy, it feels incomplete. But, I book as a single, and that's the way courses are. Got it.

9:40 tee time. Called ahead that morning, anything earlier? No. Showed up, 9:10, anything earlier? No. Hit balls, went to starter at 9:30. He says I'm part of a 4 ball, good. A single tees off on #1, a single tees off on #10. I ask the starter if those are singles, yes. I wait. 3 guys show up to check in at 9:38, but stand around chatting. I walk to starter, hear him tell them, "well, there's no one on 10, so you can go now. I interrupt, and tell him my name again, teeing off on #10. He says I should wait while he calls my group. He does. I stare at him, it's 9:40. He finally says, Ok, you can tee off now. I catch up to the single in front of me on 13, we play out together.

I check for tee times on Friday, starting Tuesday night. For a single, first tee time is 1010, or 940 for back 9. Check their affiliate course, tee times at 8, 810, 820, 830, 840, 850, 900, 910 and 920 are open, so they won't book a single. Check on Wednesday. Same times. Thursday, same. Called the booking number to see if they can book a single, no, they use the same computer booker we do. Puts me through to the pro shop. After checking with the head pro, he says he'll allow me to book a time as a single since the first 9 tee times are open.

Why don't courses realize that if they release a few early times to singles when they're open, that they'll fill quickly? By the time I show up tomorrow, I bet it will be 4 singles playing together who have been waiting for a tee time to be available to them.

I have the same issues constantly when trying to book as a single. Some of the course websites don't even have an option to book single.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Man, I've been improving a lot on the range but my back muscles get knots in the instantly. It's not exactly that I'm throwing my back out, the muscles just get very tense near the shoulder blades.

Anyone know good pre or post golf stretching exercises for this area?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Kameh posted:

Nobody played great, but I played the least worst and won.

This would be a great new thread title but the current one is so good.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Chromatics posted:

Man, I've been improving a lot on the range but my back muscles get knots in the instantly. It's not exactly that I'm throwing my back out, the muscles just get very tense near the shoulder blades.

Anyone know good pre or post golf stretching exercises for this area?

Buy a set of Power bands and use them every day. I go to the gym regularly and always do stretches with those. Cheap and very versatile as you can use them anywhere.

https://youtu.be/bcwdonkWbik

I do variations of the stuff in that video. Rows and face pulls are excellent for shoulder and back strength/flexibility.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 10, 2023

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

I kind of want to join a private club largely so I can randomly walk on as a single all the time without issue.

That's what pushed me over. The public course I went to doesn't let you book as a single online or over the phone, you just have to show up with your hat in hand like a loser.

One day, the starter told me to go ahead and go quickly, the guy I was paired with didn't like to play with anyone else. "Oh, is he an annual member or something?" No, just some rear end in a top hat who hates people. Why some people get preferential treatment on a public course is beyond me. Strangely enough, I think you see less of this poo poo in a private club, where you would imagine there's more favoritism.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
my local muni opens next weekend and boy i'm excited

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Chad Ramey just went from leading by two to T5 two back after a double-dunk on 17 for a quad. Rough.

This tournament always has the wildest leaderboards.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TPC is playing TOUGH and I loving love it!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Buy a set of Power bands and use them every day. I go to the gym regularly and always do stretches with those. Cheap and very versatile as you can use them anywhere.

https://youtu.be/bcwdonkWbik

I do variations of the stuff in that video. Rows and face pulls are excellent for shoulder and back strength/flexibility.

This is perfect thanks!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Man I'm in a tough spot. My unconscious old over the top swing bites me about once a hole right now when I'm just thinking about the shot instead of focusing on the new swing. I'm so bad to forget my hips that I'm hitting some epically long strikes, just about 30 degrees left of where I'm expecting it to. I'm honestly starting to believe that this ADD poo poo is why I've always sucked at golf. If I lose my very short focus during a shot, or if my mind veers off anywhere It's a missile 30 degrees right or left of my line. I'm losing a lot of balls right now as a result.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Schleffler is still on the front 9 and Hattonn just turned in a 65 to get within two.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yesterday's scoring was insane. And then today the third Ace was hit. Just nuts

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

17 Just took Montgomery's soul. Washed two already and the third ball drat near eolled off. Quad bogey from 135 yards and he's a freaking pro! That'll teach me a little expectations ;)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 12, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/jonathanrwall/status/1635419009557598208?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bifurcation. gonna be interesting how it affects ball sales/club manufacturers.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I don't think there's any practical way where that doesn't turn out like poo poo and as mentioned in the article it seems like a change specifically made for...course designers. Which, to be honest, gently caress em.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

abigserve posted:

I don't think there's any practical way where that doesn't turn out like poo poo and as mentioned in the article it seems like a change specifically made for...course designers. Which, to be honest, gently caress em.
Nah it’s more about existing courses, moving tee boxes back every five years isn’t sustainable for 98% of the courses out there, and it’d be cool if there were challenges on older courses that weren’t just “let the rough grow to 8 inches”

I don’t think it’d really be that big of a deal, sorta like wooden vs composite bats in baseball, but who knows we golfers are a mental bunch

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I think another interesting thing would be if the pros couldn’t use putters, and instead had to use pool cues on the green

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

quote:

“One of the coolest things about our sport is that the general player can play with exact same equipment from the same exact place,” one pro said. “No fan wants to see PGA Tour players hit it shorter than they do. That’s one reason they watch pro golf, because Rory can hit it 320 and they can stand on the same tee and not do so.”

Does any avid golf watcher think they are playing even close to the same game as an actual tour pro? Giant drives make the game so much more boring; I really don’t enjoy Rory crushing it 300+ and then chipping it close every par 4 for 4 days during a match. Make them suffer and erase some distance to keep the kickin rad old courses kickin rad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If it was up to me, the pros would play with ballata balls and lovely hickory clubs. New equipment means there will never be a pro that is less than 5'10" anymore, because the slightest increase in clubhead speed means several more yards.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I can only speak for myself but golf is a great Equalizer in the sense that everyone is theoretically on the same footing, whether you're off 10 or +10. If I found out the pros were limited to a certain ball I'd absolutely start using those balls just to feel like I'm playing "the same" game.

Also, watching people bomb drives and chip isn't boring to me, watching putting is

Edit; the Open was an incredibly great tournament to watch last year and that's a super short course

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Nevermind

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This last quote said it best

“Fans don’t want this, pros don’t want this, TV doesn’t want it, manufacturers don’t want it,” one pro said. “Who is this for?”

Sure Rory can bomb and chip every hole, how'd that work out for him this past weekend?

abigserve posted:

This 100%. This is going to cause a shitshow especially since we know the LIV tour is going to be all, hey if you wanna play with non-limiting golf equipment come join us!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
St Andrews is a great example of the issues, there were like two holes that weren’t essentially putting contests and it led to extremely long rounds as a ton of the par 4s were reachable in 1 and the 5s in two

That said, there’s probably enough corporate pressure from ball manufacturers to keep this from happening, maybe some older courses with enough name recognition make a local rule or something

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wyoak posted:

St Andrews is a great example of the issues, there were like two holes that weren’t essentially putting contests and it led to extremely long rounds as a ton of the par 4s were reachable in 1 and the 5s in two

Guys have been boatracing St Andrews forever, the weather is what protects that course.

mattfl posted:

This last quote said it best

“Fans don’t want this, pros don’t want this, TV doesn’t want it, manufacturers don’t want it,” one pro said. “Who is this for?”

Jack and Lee Trevino so they can finally shut the gently caress up about equipment back in their day

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
They think this will be another square grooves thing that folks get over and forget about. The difference is that it will be front and center of every round an amateur plays with the pro V1.

Since its going to be a local rule, will the Farmers have different equipment rules than the Phoenix open?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you're never playing against the course in links golf, you're playing the weather. Almost any Open Championship rounds are just birdie and eagle fests if the wind's calm.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the answer is to:

1. Let the greens grow nice and slow and bumpy.
2. Same for the fairways
3. Let the rough get ankle deep and filled with hidden gopher holes (sprained ankles!)
4. Wheel out giant, portable trees to place in all the potential landing zones. (no, you can't move it)
5. Make every sandtrap a different sand type.
6. 30 second shot clock

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Quicksand traps - if you don’t get there fast enough your ball might disappear and if you don’t swing fast enough you might die

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I would honestly love a series where each episode, a different guy in the Tour top ten gets taken out to a local muni course and we follow them around for 18 so they can curse at the hosed-up grounds and shoot a way higher score than you'd expect.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

I would honestly love a series where each episode, a different guy in the Tour top ten gets taken out to a local muni course and we follow them around for 18 so they can curse at the hosed-up grounds and shoot a way higher score than you'd expect.

Yeah, a Pro-Am except on a muni would be a great time

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

the answer is to:

1. Let the greens grow nice and slow and bumpy.
2. Same for the fairways
3. Let the rough get ankle deep and filled with hidden gopher holes (sprained ankles!)
4. Wheel out giant, portable trees to place in all the potential landing zones. (no, you can't move it)
5. Make every sandtrap a different sand type.
6. 30 second shot clock

I see you have played my local muni 9hole, and I look forward to seeing tournaments hosted there. I think the occasional car driving by and honking in your backswing on the 9th tee will add to the tournament atmosphere.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I see you have played my local muni 9hole, and I look forward to seeing tournaments hosted there. I think the occasional car driving by and honking in your backswing on the 9th tee will add to the tournament atmosphere.

One time I hit a cow in the pasture across the street. Now that's a competitive atmosphere the Saudis can't buy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mdemone posted:

It's been done a few times, it goes pretty much exactly like that except they still shoot like 68.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
There was a cool Golf Digest story about Bubba Watson playing a standard muni, he shot a 62 and it sounded like he wasn’t really on