Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kliras posted:

the jellyfin tvos app is finally available in the app store btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKF5GtBIxpM

i tried it out, but it failed to detect a bunch of stuff, so i'm going to let someone else mess around with it for a bit first

I think Infuse is a slightly better solution on Apple TV for those hosting a Jellyfin server. It does cost $10 a year, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
The AppleTV app is still a bit buggy but works for a lot of media. I’m pretty happy with the progress so far and finally switched out my Plex library.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What benefit does it have over Plex? I never really had any issues with Plex.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Infuse has a much better playback engine. Zero buffering and will "direct stream" every time, and works with literally any file or folder. Plex makes you follow ten steps and do a cartwheel and maybe it won't transcode.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
setting up an infuse server on pc felt like a hassle, but if i use a plex server with infuse playback, will stuff actually play on my apple tv?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

setting up an infuse server on pc felt like a hassle, but if i use a plex server with infuse playback, will stuff actually play on my apple tv?

That is correct

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

What benefit does it have over Plex? I never really had any issues with Plex.

Handles media files with HDR/DoVi/Atmos a little bit better. If your TV/AV system doesn't support them or you don't have any media with that sort of content, it probably isn't worth using. What's cool about Infuse is it also supports other media server clients like Jellyfin and Emby or even directly from your NAS so you don't have to rely on a third party or Internet to watch local media.

That's also one of the compelling use-cases for using Jellyfin over Plex, even if Jellyfin isn't quite ready for primetime - if you have a ton of Dolby Vision content or AMD hardware, Jellyfin can properly transcode Dolby Vision media to non-HDR devices using AMD hardware acceleration, which Plex hasn't implemented, and likely won't due to licensing issues as a paid app (per their support forums) - my friend's parents have a Samsung TV, and every once in a while they'll try to stream something and tell me the colors look all trippy because Samsung refuses to pay for Dolby licensing.

Dolby Vision, HDR, and Atmos content are only going to get more and more prevalent, and I'll always choose to archive my media at the highest quality possible - plus I have an Atmos compatible sound system and Dolby Vision capable TV. It's not a problem right now, because I've got an old GTX 1060 doing my transcoding, but I'll eventually want to upgrade to something with AV1 encoding/decoding, and I certainly won't let Plex force me into buying an overpriced Nvidia card instead of possibly buying something from AMD or even Intel.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kliras posted:

Infuse doesn’t have a server component

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do you mean it doesn’t have a way to behave as a server? I use Infuse to access my PC and my NAS all the time. You can set up a basic computer/NAS to function solely as a server that Infuse can access.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I mean infuse does not have a server component like Plex does. It can of course act as a client to virtually any type of file share, and also it can connect to Emby/Jellyfin and plex. Personally I connect to both Plex and my NFS share via unraid.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple why do you keep showing me cityscape screen saver when I have it disabled

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My Apple TV (the first of the “new” ones, the one that came before the HD version) and/or remote has been behaving strangely lately. It also controls a receiver that is connected to speakers.

The other day a loud video came on that needed some adjusting, so I tried to decrease the volume with the remote. However, that increased the volume and there was no way to decrease it. Eventually I had to manually turn off the receiver and reboot the Apple TV. That solved the bonkers volume bug but now the sensitivity on the touch pad seems somewhat off. I don’t know how to explain it, but something’s wonky somewhere.

Do you have any theories?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had something similar happen when my kids got some sticky substance under the buttons. If it’s an old remote you might try cleaning or replacing it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Maybe a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol to the buttons

You can also reset the remote which a lot of people probably didn’t know

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone with the newest 4K model still experiencing remote issues since any of the recent point releases?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Anyone with the newest 4K model still experiencing remote issues since any of the recent point releases?

I had a remote just coke completely unpaired with the latest update. Worst part is we have 3 Apple TVs in our house so I had to unplug one to repair it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I stopped having the issue for like 2 months, and then it just happened to my twice this week. Is there a fix for it?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I stopped having the issue for like 2 months, and then it just happened to my twice this week. Is there a fix for it?

According to a recent 9to5 article no

Did say it’s the latest usb-c remote. I have all lighting ones and I have never had an issue between 4 units

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have the latest 4K and USB-C remote and have not experienced this unpairing issue yet. Seems like a crapshoot on who's experiencing it or not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had it and it went away after I recharged the remote. It was not showing a low battery warning, I was just frustrated and plugged it in out of desperation.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

qirex posted:

I had it and it went away after I recharged the remote. It was not showing a low battery warning, I was just frustrated and plugged it in out of desperation.

Hmmm I check mine once a week and if it drops below 60% I charge it for an hour or so and then it's full. Wonder if that may be the issue?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Apple TV is so infuriating sometimes.

I have an AppleTV in my office that’s set to use a HomePod pair as the default audio output. And after some initial growing pains, it’s worked fine for a while.

But now, I’m spending the weekend at my parents house and I took it with me. Easy enough, just change the “default audio output” to tv speakers, right. No. Every time I try to change it, I get the spinning wheel of death and nothing happens. I’ve tried on the ATV itself and in the Home app, and it does the same thing in both.

The most infuriating part is that it IS playing the audio out of the TV speakers, but every 2 minutes or so I get a pop up that says “unable to connect to HomePod. Try again or change default audio output”

Anyone run into this before and have any ideas how to fix? I tried moving the ATV out of the “Office” room in the Home app but that didn’t work. Short of fully setting this up as a new ATV from scratch, I’m all out of ideas.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the hell? I just got a 30-sec ad in the Prime video app between episodes of a show. I’ve never seen that before.

Wow, I just got a second, right in the middle of an episode. Guess this is a thing now. Thanks Amazon.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 12, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A real ad or a show ad?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

A real ad or a show ad?

Real ad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually means the video is part of some "free" service (ad-supported) that is being listed alongside of stuff from the actual prime video service. It will say somewhere in the description.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh interesting. I just looked it up and it does say “free with ads.” Never noticed that. It just started happening with this show in particular, but never any of the other ones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe moving stuff from Prime to Freevee or whatever it is called this week.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

smackfu posted:

Maybe moving stuff from Prime to Freevee or whatever it is called this week.
Yeah that’s almost certainly it. Amazon seems to be shifting a lot of video to Freevee this last year.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah that’s almost certainly it. Amazon seems to be shifting a lot of video to Freevee this last year.

And then when you watch it you can see almost exclusively ads for Freevee because it's not actually about making money, it's about showing their investors that they're monetizing library content.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Last night it was Verizon. At least four Verizon commercials in every episode of the show I watched (out of four to five ad breaks total). And I don’t mean four different commercials. It was two, which were occasionally switched.

I have nothing to back this up, but I imagine in a couple of years Prime Video will go away and all those shows will move to Freevee. Maybe Prime subscribers will get “Freevee plus” or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I saw a bunch of Verizon yesterday (or whenever) when I made my post. My kid was watching Sonic X and it just abruptly cuts in and shows 90 secs of ads. It just seems like it's a random timer to just cut away every 5-8 minutes and blast you with ads. I got yelled at by my 4yo for changing his show, haha.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's one of the things that bugs me most about these "free TV" things, the shows they're showing always have set spots where an ad break is meant to go but that'd be way too much work to go through the whole archive marking where ad breaks are manually so just constantly interrupt the flow of the show.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Incredible that we’ve come full circle in just 15 years back to what made streaming apps attractive in the first place.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex stays winning!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Netflix app's 'next episode starting in 10 seconds' thing now has been reduced to 0 seconds on my Apple TV. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

The Netflix app's 'next episode starting in 10 seconds' thing now has been reduced to 0 seconds on my Apple TV. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

It's also ignoring my "don't autoplay" setting so I'm going to guess it's a bug in the app.

That or some VP's annual stock bonus depends on a very specific metric this will goose.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thinking of getting an Apple TV 4K to replace my Fire TV Cube, mainly because the Cube's ethernet port tops out at 100Mbps.

Are the apps available on Fire TV generally also on Apple TV? I'm thinking UK TV channels mainly. Is there likely to be much difference in performance, speed, picture quality etc? I have an LG OLED TV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are the apps available on Fire TV generally also on Apple TV? I'm thinking UK TV channels mainly. Is there likely to be much difference in performance, speed, picture quality etc? I have an LG OLED TV.

Yes to pretty much everything and maybe yes to picture quality as well.

When I switched from a Roku to an Apple TV the picture quality did seem better to my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Apple TV is also much more pleasant to use.