Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thgank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Fez always seemed like a good egg to me, learned a few things about Japanese wrestling from them. Baffled that anyone wanted to spend money to plaster weird stuff on their avatar, but I guess if you can't buy tomatoes what are you gonna buy?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I’m not sure why anyone would buy you an offensive avatar and I’m sorta curious what it even could have been but if it was offensive enough to get blanked by a mod, maybe it’s better not to know

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

dromal phrenia posted:

I’m not sure why anyone would buy you an offensive avatar and I’m sorta curious what it even could have been but if it was offensive enough to get blanked by a mod, maybe it’s better not to know

It was their regular avatar made into a gif with the words "Retarded oval office" popping in after a couple of seconds, iirc it was in response to a QCS thread about use of the C-Bomb in threads where it's treated as a slur

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

getting so mad about the forums you spend money to show how mad you are

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb bought me the mr stink text and it meant he couldn’t afford to eat for a month :(

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

NienNunb bought me the mr stink text and it meant he couldn’t afford to eat for a month :(

we all make sacrifices...

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

“mr stink text” is the title of the omnibus of all your posts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my lawyers have requested i remove this post

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 5, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

getting so mad about the forums you spend money to show how mad you are

The forums being funded by petty petulant grudges is the backbone of this place.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Please forum ban the hausu usher. going to bat regularly for cornette, including immediately after launching another harassment campaign based off of little jokes about the joshi being enslaved by kenny omega, is just the nastiest crap. idgaf that he listens to the insane bigot guy but if his only contributions here are to handwave and explain why its actually Not So Bad then there is no use for someone like that here. this is the only post i'll make about it, and i won't engage with any counter arguments :razzy: have a great day everyone, except that guy.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Cornette thread is the best solution anyone's ever thought of to "Cornette is a worthless piece of poo poo who only makes the world worse, but sometimes the ways in which he makes the world worse create news, and we should have some place to discuss that news so it doesn't infect other threads." It's explicitly an acknowledgement that his points of view are not good or welcome and a containment of his POV somewhere people don't have to see them if they don't want to. It's been great for that purpose.

"Well, actually, if you listened to him more, you'd realize [Cornette isn't that bad a guy/he's exaggerating to get attention (as though that's better)/he's exaggerating to get his fans more worked up (as though that's better)/maybe it is you who is the intolerant one]!" is not the purpose of the thread and only starts fights. I Want that kind of posting Out Of PSP.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What's the deal with Jim Cornette and, I guess, in turn, the history and evolution of the Jim Cornette containment thread?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he’s a hot take machine with a lot of racism and sexism baked in, and weird hate boners for kenny omega and the young bucks among others. a lot of folks in the forum don’t want to see or acknowledge in any way his horrible offensive bullshit so the folks that do have a dedicated thread for it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hand Knit posted:

What's the deal with Jim Cornette and, I guess, in turn, the history and evolution of the Jim Cornette containment thread?

He's a racist sexist homophobe who was a big player in the wrestling scene in the 80s and 90s who now mostly does podcast/talking head stuff which involves saying a bunch of heinous poo poo which most people don't want to hear about so the Cornhole exists so the people who do want to talk about it can talk about how much he sucks

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Jim Cornette is a hugely significant figure in wrestling history. He was one of the most talented managers and best talkers of the 80s and early 90s, and went on to work behind the scenes in a lot of orgs as an adviser or booker, including his own fed, Smoky Mountain Wrestling. He's less involved now, but he continues to watch and comment, and his stature in wrestling means those comments sometimes make the news.

The problem is that his comments these days tend to be racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted; we can provide plenty of examples. Having them in main threads was a huge bummer, so when it became clear that he wasn't going to improve or change, he got shunted into his own thread.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's a shame he's such a twat, because he was a talented performer once and had a good mind for wrestling history. He became popular with Internet wrestling fans in the 2000s because WWE and TNA were typically bad and he adopted a Grumpy Old Man gimmick to constantly rag on both promotions. It snowballed from there to the point where he just became Old Man Yells at Cloud even when better options for wrestling became available, in addition to showing himself to be a massive bigot.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i summed up cornettes last few years the last time the containment thread popped off

Critical posted:

this thread is 51 pages detailing how cornette has called people pedophiles because he doesn't like how they wrestle, been extremely racist towards joshi wrestlers, wished death on multiple people in a profession known for people dying early, was so racist against arabs that his co host quit, said women don't belong in the main event, said a woman shouldn't be on tv because she's a "butterface", complimented grizzly smith, who was a monster who raped his daughter, on multiple occasions, got extremely mad a cartoon dog died and then took credit for bringing him back, assaulted his coworker and then called the cops on said coworker when they got in his face at a con, was so unhinged about vince russo russo was granted a restraining order against him which he then released to the public (this was kinda funny ngl), said they should lean into the fact nyla rose is trans and have women refuse to wrestle her because she's actually a man, and once poo poo himself on commentary from drinking too much sprite

as for the thread history, when AEW was first starting Cornette started gaining a following due to an intense hatred of the product. every week he would say something hateful, nearly everyone would call him a loving rear end in a top hat, and any thread he was mentioned in would come to an assgrinding halt. thus we built an ecto containment unit in the basement to keep him from haunting the rest of the forum.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The poster who throws themself bodily onto whatever Jim Cornette position is being slightly warped by posting about in the thread that exists because no one can stand Cornette related discussion should at the very least stop posting in a thread that will only hate them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
lovely poster aside, it's frustrating that we can't just collectively ignore Cornette. Today is the first time I've spared a thought on Cornette and that's because of this thread. Sometimes it's not enough to avoid touching the poop--after a certain point you have got to stop looking at it too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

at the time that the first cornette thread was made, there was a lot of interest in talking about how awful jim cornette was, as well as a lot of people who hated seeing discussion of jim cornette because he is a piece of poo poo. it was done as a compromise. his fans demonstrably have no place here. technically if someone wants to talk about old wrestling stuff that he was involved in, sure, but if someone just likes his podcast and wants to explain the awful things on there then they need to go somewhere else where everyone is 'like that'.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

yea ok posted:

Please forum ban the hausu usher. going to bat regularly for cornette, including immediately after launching another harassment campaign based off of little jokes about the joshi being enslaved by kenny omega, is just the nastiest crap. idgaf that he listens to the insane bigot guy but if his only contributions here are to handwave and explain why its actually Not So Bad then there is no use for someone like that here. this is the only post i'll make about it, and i won't engage with any counter arguments :razzy: have a great day everyone, except that guy.

seconded.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

yea ok posted:

Lets 3D this Jabroni.

Ban them from the wrestling forums like other guys that nobody liked and only seemed to post to stir up poo poo. Let them post in PYF.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ill give em the ol chairshot if you guys think it would be cool, but ive looked through some of their posts and its just whatever.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah get this shithead outta here.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

yea ok posted:

This is a wild swing. I don't post anything else in the forum because of the state folk got into from my very first non-positive AEW post as a new fan in 2021 to the CM Punk arguments. I posted when Jay Briscoe died and mis-interepreted the "Let's Say gently caress Cornette A Lot" thread for a "post anything from Cornette here" thread. I don't live on PSP and I'm not into wrestling as much as most on here, so a lot of the context of why people reacted the way they did was pretty aggravating. I got pissed off to be attacked just posting a story about one of my favourite wrestlers who died like 2 days before, I fell down a silly rabbit hole of arguments.

Today someone literally brought me up in the thread and I responded (which wasn't "going to bat" for anyone but myself, really). All I saw was a bunch of confirmation bias in those clips and being judged and talked about without being engaged in the conversation made me want to say something. I didn't expect the amount of weird posts to me or about me, but it's poo poo that this sort of thing flies okay on here, hours have passed without any kind of mod intervention. Jumping from TVIV or the Cinema Discusso to here is a strange experience, AEW fans have been coddled and made to feel like they have the right to run roughshod over all discerning opinion on their precious TV show, and that's a feeling I had before I started listening to Cornette. I wouldn't have posted anything today if someone had just let sleeping dogs lie, but here we are.

Use the ignore function and just don't talk about me or interact with my rare posts on here when I make them, it's simple stuff. The way this place was modded today was poo poo, I don't think you need to worry about seeing much of me anyway.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

its those drat AEW fans hating bigotry again. smdh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

This is a wild swing. I don't post anything else in the forum because of the state folk got into from my very first non-positive AEW post as a new fan in 2021 to the CM Punk arguments. I posted when Jay Briscoe died and mis-interepreted the "Let's Say gently caress Cornette A Lot" thread for a "post anything from Cornette here" thread. I don't live on PSP and I'm not into wrestling as much as most on here, so a lot of the context of why people reacted the way they did was pretty aggravating. I got pissed off to be attacked just posting a story about one of my favourite wrestlers who died like 2 days before, I fell down a silly rabbit hole of arguments.

Today someone literally brought me up in the thread and I responded (which wasn't "going to bat" for anyone but myself, really). All I saw was a bunch of confirmation bias in those clips and being judged and talked about without being engaged in the conversation made me want to say something. I didn't expect the amount of weird posts to me or about me, but it's poo poo that this sort of thing flies okay on here, hours have passed without any kind of mod intervention. Jumping from TVIV or the Cinema Discusso to here is a strange experience, AEW fans have been coddled and made to feel like they have the right to run roughshod over all discerning opinion on their precious TV show, and that's a feeling I had before I started listening to Cornette. I wouldn't have posted anything today if someone had just let sleeping dogs lie, but here we are.

Use the ignore function and just don't talk about me or interact with my rare posts on here when I make them, it's simple stuff. The way this place was modded today was poo poo, I don't think you need to worry about seeing much of me anyway.

see this is a great example of why this guy should be killed (metaphorically, in the forum ban sense)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Hausu Usher posted:

I wouldn't have posted anything today if someone had just let sleeping dogs lie, but here we are.

This is an extremely ironic reaction when it is you deciding to intervene after someone reused an insult that caused people to get mad about your posting.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

karmicknight posted:

This is an extremely ironic reaction when it is you deciding to intervene after someone reused an insult that caused people to get mad about your posting.

There's a difference between someone posting their opinions on something that others don't like and posters doing some weird forum drama and talking about a poster not currently involved in the discussion.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

didnt read

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Don't do this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

There's a difference between someone posting their opinions on something that others don't like and posters doing some weird forum drama and talking about a poster not currently involved in the discussion.

You jumped into the thread half an hour after this post:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Too bad that brainless poster from earlier in the thread probably missed this episode because he was listening to “Nicest Things Cornette Has Said Compilation 😍😍”

You assumed JB meant you, which, fair enough, and instead of just being like "hey, gently caress off and leave me alone," you used it as a jumping-off point for "yes, they said that edgy poo poo you're all saying sucks, and maybe it does suck, but have you considered that they also receive death threats and don't deserve to be harassed?" Your next post was five lines further trying to justify what Cornette and Last said and criticizing "the amount of pearl clutching and hyper-nuts some people are getting," and only after that did you finally say "also, don't talk about me."

Do you genuinely not understand why people might not be interested in your defenses of Cornette, especially when they're "yeah, he said that, but consider the context," and why it comes off as deeply weird that you seem to have a weird compulsion to make them even when (especially when) you feel attacked for them?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

You jumped into the thread half an hour after this post:

You assumed JB meant you, which, fair enough, and instead of just being like "hey, gently caress off and leave me alone," you used it as a jumping-off point for "yes, they said that edgy poo poo you're all saying sucks, and maybe it does suck, but have you considered that they also receive death threats and don't deserve to be harassed?" Your next post was five lines further trying to justify what Cornette and Last said and criticizing "the amount of pearl clutching and hyper-nuts some people are getting," and only after that did you finally say "also, don't talk about me."

Do you genuinely not understand why people might not be interested in your defenses of Cornette, especially when they're "yeah, he said that, but consider the context," and why it comes off as deeply weird that you seem to have a weird compulsion to make them even when (especially when) you feel attacked for them?

Yeah maybe I should have just said gently caress off.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Hausu Usher posted:

Use the ignore function or pretend that my post was laced with tons of bigotry when I make them so that your brain will do extra work to provide a more generous and sympathetic interpretation, it's simple stuff.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Get the gently caress out of here seriously. You get leeway in here because of how much reverence you have for the idea of mods taking care of and handling everything and nobody else should ever do anything. The claim is that you came here to talk about Jay Briscoe and got poo poo on, but you've been trying to equate Jim Cornette's dogshit with watching any wrestling (or I guess just AEW) as a gotcha since the middle of last year, and the "let mods handle it" thing came up then too just like it does now with you because there isn't any other bullshit you can say after a certain point. If I'm wrong then get rid of this dumb rear end in a top hat who only comes here to talk about coddled AEW snowflakes.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

cav with the dive off the balcony oh dios mio

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Move the Cornette thread into the pool area and let their IKs chain probe this dude into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The point of the pool area is to avoid nasty negative garbage, not bring it in!