Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

webcams for christ posted:

good for them I guess. we need more of the right kind of class traitor

I know this blows your minds every fuckin time but most of the people in tech work at run of the mill medium businesses and make at or barely above the national average middle class wage

For those of us in infrastructure support, we have always seen the worst excesses of capital from up close and most of us have mever enjoyed the substantial salaries of administrative positions. Nothing has done more to breed contempt for capital in me than processing user terms and enabling lovely office political maneuvering. My wages, while better than those of a retail worker, have always been less than half of what the sales people or software programmers were making which has made every denial of prospects and every example of corporate largesse into a very personal insult

Tech sector workers outside of silicon valley are just as abused and underpaid as everyone else. They are also extemely online. The popularity of bernie makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
cspam in shambles again, buy the dip number go up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bitcoin 30k by friday

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1635671586647801857

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

what drives me insane is that both economists and even posters itt (myself definitely included) are generally always talking about inflation on the Fed's terms: they're solely responsible for Price Stability (divined to be 2% inflation), and that the appropriate mechanism for disinflation is raising interest rates, and all of the downstream consequences that implies (aka Volcker Shock). when I'm having conversations about inflation with irl friends, I find myself constantly having to throw out disclaimers about how this arrangement is a political choice, and how reasonably-targeted Taxes can be extremely deflationary in a much more direct way, but of course new taxes are barely more of a realistic hope than Full Communism in the USA any time soon

Yeah. I used to beat the increased taxes drum, but seeing as that isn't an option in our system I just quit talking about it here.

dk2m posted:

ultimately what the public doesn't really get is that the fed "fighting inflation" is another way of saying "keep wages from increasing and unemployment sufficiently high enough". Volcker did the exact same thing in the 70s which paved the way for Reagan to introduce his neoliberal reforms.

inflation has a price component to it, no doubt, but the context of it is now WITHIN neoliberalism, which led to the de-industrialization and the offshoring of industry. this is now simply accepted as a "natural" transition to a service economy, when in reality, it was a huge state backed intervention to wage war on labor in order to move the growth engine directly to the stock market.

this model completely fell apart during covid, which showed how those reforms have now led to an incredibly brittle supply chain causing massive production based issues, which cannot be solved overnight. in fact, it probably can't be solved at all, as we have lost the know-how to even manufacture at scale here, and rebuilding that will take decades.

at the same time, live in a world where a brand new 65 inch tv can cost $100 but tuition at a university is cracking 75K a year. inflation is not the simply black and white supply/demand, but it's also the massive asset inflation required to keep the stock market inflated

Yep.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Koirhor posted:

cspam in shambles again, buy the dip number go up

how about a doomsday econ version of that inverse jim cramer ETF?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Another 25bps is a mistake.

Edit: remember when they gaslight us that companies weren't doing this on purpose?
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1635655173736415234?t=OQxIMikV69esyOxMihVFUg&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Mar 14, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

How much is this in Matt Yglesias terms

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

25%

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I know this blows your minds every fuckin time but most of the people in tech work at run of the mill medium businesses and make at or barely above the national average middle class wage

For those of us in infrastructure support, we have always seen the worst excesses of capital from up close and most of us have mever enjoyed the substantial salaries of administrative positions. Nothing has done more to breed contempt for capital in me than processing user terms and enabling lovely office political maneuvering. My wages, while better than those of a retail worker, have always been less than half of what the sales people or software programmers were making which has made every denial of prospects and every example of corporate largesse into a very personal insult

Tech sector workers outside of silicon valley are just as abused and underpaid as everyone else. They are also extemely online. The popularity of bernie makes perfect sense to me.

my IT infra homies and I were all super into that David Graeber book. It's honestly not the worst setting to get into alienation of labor, especially if the stuff you're supporting isn't particularly accessible

poo poo, I went to college w/ people who were getting inducted to the capitalist class in real time (like FAANG => yc founders and poo poo like that) and THEY'RE loving bernie bros (I mean maybe those are incompatible but). if you think capitalism isn't a dead end, SV is probably one of the places you're looking to save it. thats loving stupid but I mean that's a tougher realization to come to when you've been handed 6 figure work even before you graduated

as with all things (boomers, tech bros, soldiers, etc) it's a good idea to look at the material conditions that make those ideological choices easy for an individual to make (why ARE we rewarding a fart delivery app front end person over a switchboard engineer?) rather than ascribe these things to a particular personality flaw w/ the individual or cohort in question

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

25%!! wow !!!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah its gonna be a shitshow

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

dk2m posted:

ultimately what the public doesn't really get is that the fed "fighting inflation" is another way of saying "keep wages from increasing and unemployment sufficiently high enough". Volcker did the exact same thing in the 70s which paved the way for Reagan to introduce his neoliberal reforms.

inflation has a price component to it, no doubt, but the context of it is now WITHIN neoliberalism, which led to the de-industrialization and the offshoring of industry. this is now simply accepted as a "natural" transition to a service economy, when in reality, it was a huge state backed intervention to wage war on labor in order to move the growth engine directly to the stock market.

this model completely fell apart during covid, which showed how those reforms have now led to an incredibly brittle supply chain causing massive production based issues, which cannot be solved overnight. in fact, it probably can't be solved at all, as we have lost the know-how to even manufacture at scale here, and rebuilding that will take decades.

at the same time, live in a world where a brand new 65 inch tv can cost $100 but tuition at a university is cracking 75K a year. inflation is not the simply black and white supply/demand, but it's also the massive asset inflation required to keep the stock market inflated

that's right, and when you factor in geopolitics you get some missing rationales for why things are so

the 70's stagnation was because of too much keynesianism in the economy? no, it's because the US humiliated themselves in Vietnam and OPEC decided they could afford playing hardball with a fail and cringe empire

did reagan's reforms set the stage for a skyrocketing economy? no, it was stripping the copper wiring from the walls to prepare for WW3, then the USSR collapsed and the globe became the US's oyster in the 90's

but since it "worked" it became gospel and we live inside that box to this day

the economic orthodoxy won't change until material conditions demand so, and political-economic actions happen before the theorizing, hence most contemporary economics high priests will die clinging to a 50 year old view of neoliberal globalization even as the US starts to quietly onshore production

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Paradoxish posted:

My phone has already hit me with three separate articles this morning that can barely contain their excitement about the collapse of SVB inevitably leading to lower mortgage rates. Absolutely everyone is pricing in the insane idea that not only will the fed halt hikes, but that they're also going to start cutting rates soon.

the idiots who believe in animal spirits are convinced rates are going down despite jpow's obvious plans to raise them, just like every other time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1635376009813049345?t=jQaxlVtIcK5ZXDE1Gi5dIA&s=19
https://twitter.com/MikeBenzCyber/status/1635122215460151298?t=pYZeTbDppIzqayoLbfqUcw&s=19

Lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Americans can't afford new H&M anymore

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1635677593272823809

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
https://twitter.com/TheChiefNerd/status/1635659134841282561

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

can't hear this warning over the ALL TIME HIGHS

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol wouldn't it be bad if everyone expects no raised rates and then rates get raised

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Possibly!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
:goonsay: I strolled through the soda aisle this morning, and sweet sugary death is now up to $8 per 12-pack, up from $7 a month ago.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol wouldn't it be bad if everyone expects no raised rates and then rates get raised

who the gently caress knows dude

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Pretty cool that this is gonna get ignored cause it's Tom Massie (moron) and TWITTER FILES PART 69: The Biden Campaign asked Woke Twitter employees to censor pictures of Hunter's Hog.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
every time it seems like the house of cards is collapsing the morons running the economy are like "check this poo poo out" and pull out a dozen more cards from the bottom and somehow that stabilizes it for another 6 months

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

that would be good news because then the rate increases will be over after that

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

if they keep the secret low rate backdoor for banks it's probably fine but at that point you gotta ask whats the point of any of this

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

“I believe he couched it in a concern that foreign actors would be doing this,” said Massie,

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

most of the management types I know in tech are Warren/Biden/Buttigieg types. I think the Bernie bros are all in tech support roles or ic roles

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there not a Tom Clancy novel where basically that happens - the government determines that the market crashing is the result of nefarious foreign enemies, so they just don't permit it to, or something?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nonsense posted:

can't hear this warning over the ALL TIME HIGHS

We're not at all time highs, though??!?!?!

A Moody's rating that isn't a moneymaking device for the banks is a funny idea, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every time it seems like the house of cards is collapsing the morons running the economy are like "check this poo poo out" and pull out a dozen more cards from the bottom and somehow that stabilizes it for another 6 months

One simple trick to keep the economy humming!

Edit:

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

:goonsay: I strolled through the soda aisle this morning, and sweet sugary death is now up to $8 per 12-pack, up from $7 a month ago.

Yeah, I can’t even afford my delicious Dr Pepper Strawberries & Creme now!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
More Prigozhin drops

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1635651788509528066

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1635681793188741121

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

those stubborn workers keep demanding to "sleep indoors" and "eat meals every day"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

“I believe he couched it in a concern that foreign actors would be doing this,” said Massie,

If you can destabilize a country by tweeting, why the gently caress wouldn't you be hammering twitter all day

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Russia!!!!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus christ, if this ain't exhibit a in why the twitter files are a public good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're trying to will no raise into existence and when they fail again they'll throw a tantrum that sees the markets drop for a day
they're not capable of doing honest analysis, at least publicly

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

brita filters are like $6 and last for a few months.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

jesus christ, if this ain't exhibit a in why the twitter files are a public good.

lmao. fdic gonna beg the cia for a spot at the Thought Police meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1635607562245615616?s=20

:thunkher: