Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Anyone have house rules that make psykers not feel just the worst to play?
Play Black Crusade, carry a warp staff, and always go unfettered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

apostateCourier posted:

Rank up until you have delude (which covers all your social interactions) and can perform all physical actions via telekinetic manipulation, then carry two riot shields and use your mind to fight with a force sword? If your GM won’t let you get a force sword, then a man portable las cannon or something, just floating along with your mind.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2022

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

In which system, specifically? And what feels bad about playing one?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

apostateCourier posted:

I turned psykers into magic users from wfrp 2nd edition and it worked. You buy psyker powers as individual powers, you roll up to X/d10 where X is number of bought psychic abilities, doubles is a minor problem, triples is a problem, and quads or up is a session/story changing problem that is going to be difficult to resolve. If you're soul-bonded to Emps you can declare one double not to be. Target number depends on what you're doing and how big it is.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

In which system, specifically? And what feels bad about playing one?

The fact that every single time I have played one, barring once, my character has been rendered unplayable on the first power use.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

The fact that every single time I have played one, barring once, my character has been rendered unplayable on the first power use.

Oh, then play an Astropath in Rogue Trader, they get a bunch of ways to avoid that unless you deliberately leave that option open.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

apostateCourier posted:

That sounds like either you did something risky (like pushing your power limits), or just got impossibly unlucky. By default, you have some kind of consequence 10% of the time or less, and only maybe 10% of those consequences cause lasting harm (i.e. enough damage to matter or permanent changes to your character). So you hit that 1% jackpot every single time barring once?

Or else you were playing the game wrong and triggering perils incorrectly. Psykers are super powerful if you want to break the game, but they are xp hogs and start off weaker than someone with power armor and strong weapons, mostly because of gear differences and having to put stat points in non-combat stats.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

That sounds like either you did something risky (like pushing your power limits), or just got impossibly unlucky. By default, you have some kind of consequence 10% of the time or less, and only maybe 10% of those consequences cause lasting harm (i.e. enough damage to matter or permanent changes to your character). So you hit that 1% jackpot every single time barring once?

Or else you were playing the game wrong and triggering perils incorrectly. Psykers are super powerful if you want to break the game, but they are xp hogs and start off weaker than someone with power armor and strong weapons, mostly because of gear differences and having to put stat points in non-combat stats.

Yyyyyyyup. Not even pushing, just unfettered. I hate that doing the thing your archetype is known for has a chance to outright delete your character unless you hamstring yourself, and even then some powers retain that chance to gently caress you over entirely.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The idea that even a PC can be destroyed by unfettered warp power is thematically consistent with everything in 40k. You're not a wizard with systemized powers you're dipping into raw unreality and forcing your will on it. Makes sense that it can destroy you if you're not approaching it that way. Also Fate Points exist.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If your GM doesn’t let you spend fate to reroll perils, they’re a jerk.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

The idea that even a PC can be destroyed by unfettered warp power is thematically consistent with everything in 40k. You're not a wizard with systemized powers you're dipping into raw unreality and forcing your will on it. Makes sense that it can destroy you if you're not approaching it that way. Also Fate Points exist.

Sure, but on the very first use? If there was some sort of increasing threat over the course of an encounter or day or whatever, or maybe if the stronger powers came with more risk than the basic stuff it would feel less bullshit.

Edit: If a weapon had a 1% chance of failing catastrophically and murdering the user then rampaging on its own to slaughter its user's allies every time it was used, it would never see use. It'd be destroyed immediately and the plans scrapped, burned, and buried under a THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR plaque. As the rules are, psykers are an absurd liability at all times.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 19, 2022

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Even Black Crusade doesn't fix this - I recall someone in one of our Play-by-post games here on SA getting possessed by a greater daemon on his first psychic power use in the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

chin up everything sucks posted:

Even Black Crusade doesn't fix this - I recall someone in one of our Play-by-post games here on SA getting possessed by a greater daemon on his first psychic power use in the game.

BC does actually fix this, if you're a psyker that's built for it. A warp staff makes you immune to unfettered phenomena, a Magister can just say no to perils as long as they have infamy points. You can Warp Lock, you can get Child of the Warp, you can IP your phenomena rolls.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man Black Crusade's got to be high up on my list of games I've always wanted to play in but nobody ever runs

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I should add that a Magister doesn't just get to spend IP to say no to perils, they can also spend an IP to have someone else experience perils for them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

That's just not how it works though. RAW getting possessed by a Greater Daemon doesn't happen when a low xp psyker fails..

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

With a bad enough Perils roll, you can summon a greater demon, or maybe a Demon Prince, into the room you’re in.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sure, but your low level psyker isn't rolling enough dice to roll that badly on perils
dark heresy excepted

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Sure, but your low level psyker isn't rolling enough dice to roll that badly on perils
dark heresy excepted

I don't know what system you're thinking of, but any perils roll can end up spiking badly. Perils is very rare if you aren't really pushing your luck, though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Someone tell me about house rules you've used to make Deathwatch functional.

I will take alternate systems too.

You're basically playing Superheroes. I've already decided if I ever want to run another Deathwatch game I'll lean into that and just use the BASH rpg.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Enjoy posted:

Are there any groups who play online that have space open? I've got some experience with RPGs (D&D, PF2, Vampire and GURPS) and I've always loved WH40k. Playing Darktide has made me want to join a 40k RPG group! My Discord is Enjoy#1917

A number of us hang out on Discord and occasionally will run 40k RPG games.

https://discord.gg/HJMsMyK2

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, revisiting the BI/FFG 40K games after eight years is like going on a date with your ex after you've done a lot of work on yourself and realizing that you really deserved better then and now. Now I get it why people were so disappointed in these games back in the day, it does literally almost everything wrong.

-Rules are redundant, overexplained, inconsistent and spread all over? ✓
-Character creation is needlessly complicated and unbalanced? ✓
-Every character trait and talent and ability is filled with white noise purple prose obfuscating its function? ✓
-System is an adaptation of something originally used for an entirely different style of game and there are loads of legacy decisions weighing it down? ✓
-Simulationist design that fails at simulating anything other than complexity? ✓
-Creature profiles are filled with white noise traits/talents like "+10 to Driving tests in England" side by side to really relevant stuff such as "Every time this fucker shoots an angel dies" and there's no way to know unless you go full broke brain on the system because you have to look at three different places to tell what each one does? ✓

Like the only praise I can give is that the fluff and presentation is good to excellent, there's a lot of content and the combat is nicely lethal (with the caveats of being completely unbalanced) and occasionaly funny.

I am not going to go all trashheap on it, I had a lot of fun with this system back in the day with multiple different groups, but it is really rough revisiting it after coming into contact with good game design™.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ZearothK posted:

-Creature profiles are filled with white noise traits/talents like "+10 to Driving tests in England" side by side to really relevant stuff such as "Every time this fucker shoots an angel dies" and there's no way to know unless you go full broke brain on the system because you have to look at three different places to tell what each one does? ✓

Man you're not kidding. I remember reading the, I think it was Lictor profile, might have been Genestealer, can't remember. And it had something like 18 talents, which you actually had to be on top off or it would have had a fraction of the threat it was actually supposed to have, but just from the half of the talents that actually mattered.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Deptfordx posted:

Man you're not kidding. I remember reading the, I think it was Lictor profile, might have been Genestealer, can't remember. And it had something like 18 talents, which you actually had to be on top off or it would have had a fraction of the threat it was actually supposed to have, but just from the half of the talents that actually mattered.

But I have to know whether its Chem-Gelded or not!

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ZearothK posted:

Man, revisiting the BI/FFG 40K games after eight years is like going on a date with your ex after you've done a lot of work on yourself and realizing that you really deserved better then and now. Now I get it why people were so disappointed in these games back in the day, it does literally almost everything wrong.

-Rules are redundant, overexplained, inconsistent and spread all over? ✓
-Character creation is needlessly complicated and unbalanced? ✓
-Every character trait and talent and ability is filled with white noise purple prose obfuscating its function? ✓
-System is an adaptation of something originally used for an entirely different style of game and there are loads of legacy decisions weighing it down? ✓
-Simulationist design that fails at simulating anything other than complexity? ✓

Like the only praise I can give is that the fluff and presentation is good to excellent, there's a lot of content and the combat is nicely lethal (with the caveats of being completely unbalanced) and occasionaly funny.

I am not going to go all trashheap on it, I had a lot of fun with this system back in the day with multiple different groups, but it is really rough revisiting it after coming into contact with good game design™.
Yeah. I wanted to rerun an old one-shot I ran ages ago, and looking at it character creation would be an absolute pain. DH1e used to have websites that would randomly generate a new character, but DH2e just doesn't and the online character builder tools are still a lot of work.

I've done character creation for SWRPG one-shots using decks of cards which works, but DH2e chargen is far more detailed. I could switch to the Genesys hack, which would be my choice for a campaign, but all the ludicrous tables are kind of what I want for a messy one-shot. My current plan is to just completely homebrew it and do chargen as an 'Emperor's Tarot' reading - so everyone draws 3 cards from a deck that each gives +10 to one stat, one skill at +10, and 2 skills at +0. Skips all the talents and situational geegaws and should produce more or less starting power level characters I reckon. I'm using the images from the Emperor's Tarot deck GW put out ages ago and someone kindly put up on Instagram. Examples below - seem reasonable? (Items would just be dealt out from a deck so people would get bizarre assortments and we'd skip talent requirements)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I now have two friends planning Wrath & Glory campaigns.

Edit: I got a couple character concepts, gotta see how viable they are. Either Mechanicus (almost always OP), Death Corps of Krieg or Death-cult Assassin. I'd go Rogue Trader but I don't think it fits the campaigns they're planning.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 28, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The FFG games weren't that awful by the standards of the day, but they needed a sticker that said ROUTINE CHECKS ARE +20% on the cover.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I now have two friends planning Wrath & Glory campaigns.

Edit: I got a couple character concepts, gotta see how viable they are. Either Mechanicus (almost always OP), Death Corps of Krieg or Death-cult Assassin. I'd go Rogue Trader but I don't think it fits the campaigns they're planning.

Rogue Traders work best with campaigns designed around them, also the career is kinda unfinished anyway from what I remember back when I played W&G.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Rogue Traders work best with campaigns designed around them, also the career is kinda unfinished anyway from what I remember back when I played W&G.

Yeah. I made a Death Korps of Krieg commando witht he idea of making him as hard to kill as possible. He's a normal DKK guy with two unusal traits: a tendency to (barely) survive his missions and a sense of humor. That's how he got recruited by an Inquisitor instead of getting reassigned when he was the sole survivor of his regiment.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I've played a heap of the D100 40k RPG back in the day and I'm wanting to run an Imperial Guard themed game.

How does Wrath and Glory work compared to Only War? Does it have all the crunchy regiment themes and vehicles and such? If not, I might just use Only War.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Karandras posted:

I've played a heap of the D100 40k RPG back in the day and I'm wanting to run an Imperial Guard themed game.

How does Wrath and Glory work compared to Only War? Does it have all the crunchy regiment themes and vehicles and such? If not, I might just use Only War.

It doesn’t run quite as deep for Regiments. You get a minor bonus based on the Regiment you choose but that’s basically it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just use Only War. Alternatively use the rules from Black Crusade and let your players be totally free of class. Probably ignore the various Chaos mechanics (or don't :kheldragar:).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wrath of Glory is kind of like the comic book team-up of 40k.

I have only played a one-shot of it so maybe I'mw rong.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would just hold out for the new d100 game they are making rather than play Wrath and Glory.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wrath of Glory is kind of like the comic book team-up of 40k.

I have only played a one-shot of it so maybe I'mw rong.

I don't think you are, it feels underbaked throughout and like it doesn't have enough content/mechanical differentiation unless you're playing it in that crossover style

if you're after crunch I'd also just stick with d100 (either existing or forthcoming), and frankly even if you aren't I'd probably be looking at hacking something lighter together (Savage Worlds, Genesys, Cortex, etc.) before using Wrath and Glory

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I can't stand Wrath and Glory's dice system -- yeah the old FFG d100 rulesets had balance issues, but they were far more intuitive, especially for people already familiar with the progression trees from playing SWRPG. The new d100 game looks like it resolves a lot of the outstanding issues, so cautiously optimistic there.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I totally forgot I was supposed to write more about it and I should get around to that, but if you don't want a bunch of crunch or you want to do anything that doesn't focus on essentially classic D&D-style grid-based combat, I've had a very good experience running Rogue Trader with Fate.

Fate is heavily based on table consensus of how the setting works, so it doesn't really need a bunch of homebrew to work with 40k. That said it has a bunch of dials to adjust and takes readily to homebrew additions, and I've done both of those things. I don't have much to say about the additional systems I've made since I haven't really finished or used them yet, but the main thing I did was a custom skill list and adjustments to the character creation process. I also added the notion of 'domains' as part of a character, which have their own aspects. I might also consider splitting those off as extras.

The minimum I'd recommend doing is coming up with your own skill list. What I've done here is highly specific to how I see Rogue Trader - it's about 50-50 personal and social skills, and the kinds of specialized skills you need as a leader in a rogue trader's operation. Stuff related to personal combat is abstracted into a single skill since it's not a focus at all. If I wanted to run an inquisition game or a guard game or something else I'd have a different skill list.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

W&G works, is what I can say after playing campaign in it. It's a serviceable system, but C7 really needs to get out the second Redacted Records out with the rest of the traits and hopefully more options.

The new bestiary is pretty good though, surprisingly packed with a lot of stats for xenos adversaries.
And hopefully the Eldar book will be out at some point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dark Heresy 3rd edition Imperium Maledictum is coming out next week on the 23rd.

https://cubicle7games.com/blog/release-date-for-warhammer-40-000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cooked Auto posted:

Dark Heresy 3rd edition Imperium Maledictum is coming out next week on the 23rd.

https://cubicle7games.com/blog/release-date-for-warhammer-40-000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum
Really interested to see how this is. Now I've seen how good the Genesys Dark Heresy conversion is this has quite a high bar to clear.