Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Slightly clearer wording.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1635685779639873540

The Russian pilot was definitely trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. Debt of Honor. When they realize Wall Street was cyberattacked by Japan, they just roll back the results to the last time stamp before it.

Tom clancy is such a loving know nothing hack

His popularity made a lot of people both really political and really loving dumb

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

I don’t think liberation can be born from a software platform, so ultimately my take on these programs and ideas is “bad, but also a game being played by people who think Russia posting Beefy Bernie memes was truly harmful” and so in that sense I don’t see it as much of a threat. the most powerful people in the system must be as stupid as the system demands them to be, and if they’re focusing on the wrong things, ie their twitter mentions, then let them keep staring at that.

their twitter mentions being better or worse has no material effect on me, or anyone I know, who isn’t just on Twitter for fun, the only use case for it that makes any sense.

I just think it's funny as hell that all these censorship cabals & working groups with people like jamie dimon have been exposed, thus diluting their effectiveness & secrecy even if it's by a negligible amount.

hence the public good: it amuses me.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I just think it's funny as hell that all these censorship cabals & working groups with people like jamie dimon have been exposed, thus diluting their effectiveness & secrecy even if it's by a negligible amount.

hence the public good: it amuses me.

this is a good take.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mirthless posted:

Tom clancy is such a loving know nothing hack

His popularity made a lot of people both really political and really loving dumb

he's a very weird cultural figure. There's gotta be a good book or documentary about him out there but I'm not aware of any

but hey anybody who made hits like tom clancy's splinter cell: chaos theory can't be all bad

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

like, if musk is merely feeding the filers info that butthurt dem members of congress were telling jack to take down accts making fun of them & there were also gop members of congress telling jack to take down accts making fun of them the butthurt part is still hilarious.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

First Republic may not be out of the danger zone. Its stock rapidly dumped from $51 to $41.81 and has been halted.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

mastershakeman posted:

if a republican quotes a democrat saying something bad, the republican's badness undoes the democrat's and makes the statement/policy good and it has to now be defended

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

When I was working in safety, they were always developing new metrics so that what would be a Cat A accident or a very serious mishap did not get reported as such. A mortar bomb literally smoking with the primer struck? Not a misfire and UXO because blah blah blah. A soldier was accidentally issued and fired live ammunition instead of blanks? Because the BFA was destroyed in the process it was simply reported as damage to a rifle and not a major incident. Have EOD come blow a dud mortar bomb in place? Nope. Return it to the ammo dump and report it as faulty.

Of course every annual report said “Good news! Safety is great and continues to be great!” because of this reporting, but the fake feel good numbers were more important.

I imagine this is the same but even more abstract.

This is omnipresent. if there are known metric somebody (or everybody!) is going to optimize for the metrics to get an advantage / promotion, thereby distorting what the metrics were trying to on measure.

so I dunno I just go look. I also do this professionally a lot, watch, photograph, and extensively note. serious old school business does this a lot, new “disruptors” not so much.

it’s almost like no one wants to acknowledge that observation both qualitative and quantitative is the first thing to do. instead everybody wants data first and then to back fit a hypothesis to data.

there is also generally a focus educationally on form over substance. it doesn’t matter what the thesis is, grading is determined by its support structurally.

and there is economics it’s all wonderfully structured. built on its clear assumptions with its straight forward correlative relationships expressed in simple lines intersecting. no causative or complex systems thinking. just two lines intersecting.

I mean that’s not useless. but it’s certainly not everything. The complexity and sophistication of a model increases our tendency to accept the model’s conclusions as truth.

I think particularly with Krugman that’s what’s going on. a lot of folks are quick to go to “massaging numbers” as an accusation. that’s unnecessary. somebody like Krugman is doing what they were trained to do and honestly.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
why are you booing Thomas Massie? He's right

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
what are core services? like waitresses and bartenders? firemen? doctors?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

Weird how he doesn’t mention Peter Theil as the main instigator :thunk:

Neither of these matter or affect what was originally posted from Massie. They do go with how the SEC will investigate and if they will charge someone.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mr Hootington posted:

Neither of these matter or affect what was originally posted from Massie. They do go with how the SEC will investigate and if they will charge someone.

When was the last time the SEC successfully punished anyone for anything? This is a serious question. I honestly don't know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Substandard posted:

When was the last time the SEC successfully punished anyone for anything? This is a serious question. I honestly don't know.

Bankman-Fried will most likely be punished.

These people will most likely get in trouble
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-sec-charges-8-influencers-100-mln-stock-fraud-scheme-2022-12-14/

The problem with the SEC is it doesn't go after the big fish. Just the small fish who blatantly break laws

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kelly is just lucky he recently won re-election.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

department of justice has concurrent jurisdiction of a lot of sec stuff as well and is better equipped in theory to prosecute market crimes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SourKraut posted:

Kelly is just lucky he recently won re-election.

this 1000% would not sink him

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Substandard posted:

of any consequence probably not within the last 5-6 decades

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Usa citizens love their expanding police state

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anime was right posted:

this 1000% would not sink him

yeah nobody cares and many people are thinking perhaps intentionally creating a bank run on Twitter and in discords is quite bad.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah nobody cares and many people are thinking perhaps intentionally creating a bank run on Twitter and in discords is quite bad.

yeah thats bad but so is letting some lovely private company censor info op

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

HallelujahLee posted:

we are terminally online and hearing "banning social media from starting a bank collapse" will sound good to most people who will then never think about the implications of that censorship

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

"Financial misinformation" is such an ambiguous term that Dr. Richard Wolff could be banned due to him talking and teaching about Marxism.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

HallelujahLee posted:

of any consequence probably not within the last 5-6 decades

I was thinking it might have been the 80s savings and loan scandal, but that was both 40 years ago and I was like 2 when that happened and don't really know what happened to any of those people.

I know the only person who ever got punished for 2008 was Madoff, who was a fairly small fish.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Substandard posted:

I was thinking it might have been the 80s savings and loan scandal, but that was both 40 years ago and I was like 2 when that happened and don't really know what happened to any of those people.

I know the only person who ever got punished for 2008 was Madoff, who was a fairly small fish.

yeah he bamboozled rich turds thats why otherwise he would of not been touched

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mr Hootington posted:

"Financial misinformation" is such an ambiguous term that Dr. Richard Wolff could be banned due to him talking and teaching about Marxism.

Kramer would need to have his lips sewn shut and his thumbs removed to prevent any misinformation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

lovely private company can censor basically anything they want right now. they aren’t government.

I dunno I’m comfortable with starting a back run on Twitter being something government should be allowed to stop.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

letting? they already can and do; this would be requiring

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Don't be surprised if that eventually happens.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

censoring communists is one thing this country does well

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and imagine what secret media censorship could do to quell human-rights protests: the possibilities are endless, and would ensure that no one's ever again blocked on a highway when they're driving home from work after a hard day.

these cabals are shaping our country for the greater good, I'm sure.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

the phrase I keep coming back to that the cabalists utilized in their rationales is "undermine" bc it's so loving orwellian, yet not many people seem to be bothered by it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Kramer would need to have his lips sewn shut and his thumbs removed to prevent any misinformation.

ok, I'm rethinking my stance here....

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Righteous fury
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1635697034647810049?t=0DEYi2RFn7DXwJ9kxgrnQA&s=19
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1635699226960347136?t=_D_hZCDUuwpyOIvahkqrxw&s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lovely private company can censor basically anything they want right now. they aren’t government.

I dunno I’m comfortable with starting a back run on Twitter being something government should be allowed to stop.

what limits do you believe should exist, if any, on a government telling a private corp to censor information that "undermines" the government or our country's institutions?

also, do you believe that these edicts should be made in secret, or that the public should know about them being in effect?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm also not entirely convinced that you can stop something like this through censorship without making the problem much, much worse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

the phrase I keep coming back to that the cabalists utilized in their rationales is "undermine" bc it's so loving orwellian, yet not many people seem to be bothered by it.

Yeah it is very vague so you could expand the censoring to stories or posts about worker conditions, the struggles of poverty, stories of homelessness. Anything that could be a detriment to somethings "value".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

what limits do you believe should exist, if any, on a government telling a private corp to censor information that "undermines" the government or our country's institutions?

also, do you believe that these edicts should be made in secret, or that the public should know about them being in effect?

I very specifically think we should be able to prevent bank runs from being intentionally created on social media.

incitement is already speech that can be restricted.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i think we should encourage posts inciting bank runs. now we can compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Anyway, now that we know for sure that inflation is trending down and that January was just a fluke, what do you guys think the next crisis will be?

Given that prices have grown much quicker than wages, the only way workers can afford to maintain their lifestyles is by accruing debt. So I assume it's going to be some sort of debt bubble currently forming around our wildly unstable banking system.