Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that's base biotech functionality.

you need to make or load a custom xenotype from the embark screen (save it if you want to play it across multiple Rims), and ensure you either a) start with one of the customs, or b) have an ideologion for any of the factions that either loves or hates that xenotype

Oh, interesting! I hadn't seen any of them but I suppose I never embarked with any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

A question about security: what are the best ways to set up killboxes and keep enemies from just tearing through my walls? I've seen a few cheesy ones like the Singularity Killbox but I'm not sure if that's really a killbox I should be getting used to since it could end up being patched out (apparently they tried to patch it in Biotech)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

surfacelevelspeck posted:

A question about security: what are the best ways to set up killboxes and keep enemies from just tearing through my walls? I've seen a few cheesy ones like the Singularity Killbox but I'm not sure if that's really a killbox I should be getting used to since it could end up being patched out (apparently they tried to patch it in Biotech)

Have an opening and just plan for defense in depth with cover, IEDs, turret pillboxes etc etc.

Generally you develop this over time, because you will notice certain spots where people bunch up where you can plop down ieds, or areas of cover they tend to take etc etc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Some enemies will always try to tear through your walls, no matter how good/cheesy your killbox. If they're breachers or sappers (two different things) the'll go straight for your walls. If I remember right Sappers will avoid walls that have turrets behind them, so you can set up a double wall with turrets between it to direct them elsewhere (they'll attack something eventually if they have no other options, even if it's dangerous). That's a lot of work and breachers won't care, they'll break through randomly wherever they first hit.

For most raids, which aren't sappers or breachers, the key to getting enemies into your killbox, rather than your walls/doors, is to make sure it's open before they arrive. They need to be able to path from where they spawn to a bed or a pawn or sometimes just a random thing you own or else they'll start breaking down your doors. If they can path to one of those things, they'll go for it, even if they have to walk through the most obvious hellish death gauntlet to get there.

The easiest non-cheesy killbox you can make is a narrow tunnel that makes a right angle right before it reaches a room full of your defenders, such that there are only two or three tiles in the corridor where they can stand and shoot you. Have two or three people who are good with melee blocking the exit, and have a bunch of people with whatever weapons you have right behind them- ideally chain shotguns. It's pretty simple to set up, but pretty effective at reducing the number of enemies you have to deal with at once.

If you don't want your folks right up in the enemy's face, just make a big empty area at the most effective weapons range for the weapons you have and give your guys good cover (columns with barricades next to them) and give no cover to the enemy. That's the most basic principle of a killbox. Tweak it until you find out what works. There's all sorts of tricks for keeping an enemy from taking cover, but it really just depends on the layout. I will say if you have a column or a barricade in a narrow corridor the enemy should never stop on that tile on purpose, but they might stop there if they get jostled or hit and end up taking cover there anyway.

But honestly, if you want, feel free to use the "singularity" killbox when you're figuring stuff out. It will make certain raids trivial, but not the raids that ignore killboxes. If the singularity ever stops working (or you end up feeling to cheaty using it) you'll understand what kind of stuff you want out of a killbox better.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 15, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Corn is occurring.

Expanding the fields, and an unforeseen difficulty. Barely any trees or vegetation grow on this map, meaning every herbivorous animal that shows up beelines for my crops.

Setting up the cornhole. The shelves are designated as wood, but I can use Replace Stuff and designate them to be made in steel (Or stone, whatever) instead, which clears the forbiddance.

My custom orcs are kinda tough. That was a direct hit with a hellsphere cannon that burned off all his clothes and three of his limbs, and he's still coming to bite my tables. e: Also the game generates the sex of the pawn and a gender-specific name before any monogender genes take effect, which is why he's Samantha.

I'm running a mod that lets me resurrect hostile mechanoids, which is why I had the hellsphere cannon in the first place. I have too much need for steel to use the war queen, though.

A space battle dropped seven living dudes on me, five of whom have joined and I have no idea what to do with. Maybe set up an outpost, maybe just banish them all once they're healed.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 15, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dareon posted:

Setting up the cornhole.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Unrelatedly but alpha animals w/ giddy-up (and some conflict with something else) has caused some very strange people to visit my colony. The most recent was a war trader with a guard riding a slug that arrived 3 days after everyone else made it to the trading spot. Weirdly, after the trader left, the guards decided to just lay down and starve to death instead of follow them off the map, so I'm assuming there's something fucky with my mods I need to fix.

I get that something like that sometimes. The guard on the super slow animal arrives so late another guy has to take a nap, then the caravan can't leave because he's asleep, then someone else takes a nap and they still can't leave, and so on and so on till they all die. Solution is to devmode all the pawns sleep and food bars to 100%.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

https://i.imgur.com/WWZLb05.mp4

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oml some master got the title changed to that glorious line too

grats dareon, they in fact sent a poet

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Do the biotuning pods pause addiction recovery? I've got a teenager that needs to kick a wicked coke habit and it'd be a lot easier if I could just stick her in a pod for a year.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Moon Slayer posted:

Do the biotuning pods pause addiction recovery? I've got a teenager that needs to kick a wicked coke habit and it'd be a lot easier if I could just stick her in a pod for a year.

I feel like the easier solution would be to genemod her to have a psychite dependency so that she can use it all she wants. Alternately, Psychite Impervious, if you happen to have access to that instead.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Beer has nutrition so I guess you could have a colony subsist entirely on beer with the right gene mods. I wonder how much you would need to stockpile between batches per pawn.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

isndl posted:

Beer has nutrition so I guess you could have a colony subsist entirely on beer with the right gene mods. I wonder how much you would need to stockpile between batches per pawn.

please do not use ungodly science to recreate wisconsin

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dareon posted:

Setting up the cornhole.

you already got in trouble once itt for this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

wiki says they are "frozen as though in cryptosleep" and specifically says diseases don't progress unless the medic cycle cures them so i would have very little hope of addictions being affected.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Moon Slayer posted:

there's always the "can't have mental breaks if you don't have legs" option, or chain-anesthetizing with the power of sci-fi herbs that just magically do whatever your doctor wants them to, with zero side-effects/addiction/etc

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

put them in prison, just like irl

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Actually I found that sending her out on a solo caravan trip drops her expectations down to "low" and with a masterwork bedroll the comfort bonus is just enough to offset the -35 from psychite withdrawal. So she's going out to the woods to detox.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Actually I found that sending her out on a solo caravan trip drops her expectations down to "low" and with a masterwork bedroll the comfort bonus is just enough to offset the -35 from psychite withdrawal. So she's going out to the woods to detox.

ah, excellent, the fallout 2 method of getting clean

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Moon Slayer posted:

That's rather clever, I need to remember that.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Agnostalgia posted:

please do not use ungodly science to recreate wisconsin

That quote is going to stick with me awhile

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I've got a mod that lets you make roads on the world map. I sent out a bunch of colonists I didn't care about and couldn't keep happy to make a road to keep them out of the way. Only after reading this post did I realize why they were just fine after working on that road for over a year.

It was a pretty fun system that was easy to keep going- Just send a guy with a couple horses and 50 survival meals out to feed them occasionally and I could keep a work crew out there indefinitely with a minimum of micromanagement.

I wish there was more stuff you could do on the world map in vanilla. I know there's some sort of outpost mods, but something simpler where you can just tell folks to forage or gather some resources on a tile without ever leaving the caravan interface would be nice.

Sometimes I just don't want to deal with certain pawns, but everyone gets sad if you banish them.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Eiba posted:

I've got a mod that lets you make roads on the world map. I sent out a bunch of colonists I didn't care about and couldn't keep happy to make a road to keep them out of the way. Only after reading this post did I realize why they were just fine after working on that road for over a year.

It was a pretty fun system that was easy to keep going- Just send a guy with a couple horses and 50 survival meals out to feed them occasionally and I could keep a work crew out there indefinitely with a minimum of micromanagement.

I wish there was more stuff you could do on the world map in vanilla. I know there's some sort of outpost mods, but something simpler where you can just tell folks to forage or gather some resources on a tile without ever leaving the caravan interface would be nice.

Sometimes I just don't want to deal with certain pawns, but everyone gets sad if you banish them.

The vanilla expanded outposts mod is extremely simple. Just caravan out, click the setup outpost button and that's it, you never have to worry about those pawns again unless you have raids for them activated.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

The vanilla expanded outposts mod is extremely simple. Just caravan out, click the setup outpost button and that's it, you never have to worry about those pawns again unless you have raids for them activated.

Their needs are not satisfied and their wounds are not healed between raids and I didn't want to keep dropping everything I'm doing and rescuing an outpost from a raid every 10 days.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Having a really weird bug - it looks like combat in my game is just completely busted now. Looks like Rocketman is the culprit - if I disable it, things work normally, but if it's enabled anyone that's drafted or trying to fight just refuses - drafted pawns won't move or attack. Raiders move, but wander aimlessly. The most interesting thing was I tried to have one of my impids spew flame; it created a persistent cone of fire that immediately obliterated anything in it. I used dev mode to spawn a few things into it, and it would take damage from the persistent flame cloud every tick.

Wild!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I bought these DLCs more or less blind and there’s a Christian dog/wolf person living with us now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in your colony, or...?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SugarAddict posted:

Their needs are not satisfied and their wounds are not healed between raids and I didn't want to keep dropping everything I'm doing and rescuing an outpost from a raid every 10 days.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting that disables raids on outposts in the mod options.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

buglord posted:

I bought these DLCs more or less blind and there’s a Christian dog/wolf person living with us now.

The Christian and Islamic structured ideoligions (and the mods I have that add Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh, and Ancient Egyptian themes) feel very weird to me, it's entirely just slapping a layer of paint on whatever memes you have that may or may not make any sense with the trappings of those faiths. To be fair it does say that the actual strictures may have drifted quite far from the original intent, but it's still strange. Cannibal Christianity I can maybe see, but I tend to go through and remove most of the overt religions from the world's ideos so I don't wind up occasionally thinking "Oh, the Muslims are back to kidnap people."

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Eh, making all religions essentially the same in terms of game mechanics is fairly common in games. It's a huge loving landmine otherwise.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dareon posted:

The Christian and Islamic structured ideoligions (and the mods I have that add Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh, and Ancient Egyptian themes) feel very weird to me, it's entirely just slapping a layer of paint on whatever memes you have that may or may not make any sense with the trappings of those faiths. To be fair it does say that the actual strictures may have drifted quite far from the original intent, but it's still strange. Cannibal Christianity I can maybe see, but I tend to go through and remove most of the overt religions from the world's ideos so I don't wind up occasionally thinking "Oh, the Muslims are back to kidnap people."

There's a mod somewhere on steam which replaces them with made-up religions, I used it last time I played (before an update broke my mods and I was too lazy to fix it or back up beforehand).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean the generated histories of ostensibly abrahamic religions have absolutely nothing to do with their abrahamic roots at any point so i'm kind of with dareon in starting to wonder what exactly you are adding by keeping the name and iconography around

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Letting chud rear end DEUS VULT guys not need a mod I guess

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As part of a quest we adopted some family for 15 days and it had a child and it was kind of cute to see chalk drawings appear around my base randomly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Eh, making all religions essentially the same in terms of game mechanics is fairly common in games. It's a huge loving landmine otherwise.
I don't think the argument is that they should have essential elements associated with them in the game, rather they maybe should just not be in the game to begin with.

I'm kinda sympathetic to that position, but I also like the idea that in the next three thousand years and the massive fracturing of the human diaspora that would result from galactic settlement without any FTL to keep things coherent between star systems, there may be echoes of some ancient religion that bare no resemblance to the original besides some words, with any arbitrary set of beliefs that presumably made sense to the culture that adapted the religion.

Just think about how a religion of strict poverty like early Christianity can support Prosperity Gospel stuff today. You can have the exact opposite concepts in the same religion over just a couple thousand years on one planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this like, american darts or something?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Yes. Cornhole.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Is this like, american darts or something?

It's a backyard game that is popular because of quick setup/travel, ability to play with a beer in your hand, and the ability to play on any terrain such as a street or a parking lot

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

buglord posted:

As part of a quest we adopted some family for 15 days and it had a child and it was kind of cute to see chalk drawings appear around my base randomly.

Speak Up Child is great because they go from creepy children of the corn to running around babbling wildly like actual kids l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Has anyone been playing on the Steam Deck? I am having a hell of a time getting the controls down that way.