Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chamale posted:

Egg Bomb was somehow a TM in gen 1. It wasn't even the most useless TM in those games, because Razor Wind was also a TM.

Gen 1 TMs were very funny. You had stuff like Bide which no Pokemon would ever want to learn, Water Gun which every Pokemon that wanted it got so early it didn't matter, Softboiled which two Pokemon learned, one of which would get it by level anyways and the other wasn't even obtainable outside of glitches or events...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't Bide like one of the very few TMs given out by a gym leader that doesn't match their type? That and Mud-Slap in GSC.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Doing a spot of Surprise Trading before work and got a Bisharp called 'Hey Apple!!'

My day is starting off right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like Bide specifically exists more to show off 'here's how moves can get weird and force you to think' than to actually be good. It appears in the first gym and is only used by Onix, who's perhaps the Pokemon worst-equipped to actually use it effectively while still possibly being able to use it at all.

It's one of those many things about early Pokemon that doesn't make much sense until you consider the game as attempting to be a regular RPG with stuff like difficulty curves. Bide is the signature mechanic of the tutorial boss, it's basically trying to be Pokemon's equivalent of that 'goes into guard stance and fucks you up if you attack' boss that's in, like... every single Square game with a straight ATB system.

I've got no goddamn clue why Egg Bomb and Softboiled are TMs, though, even this framework doesn't help us there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't Bide like one of the very few TMs given out by a gym leader that doesn't match their type? That and Mud-Slap in GSC.

Chili/Cress/Cilan also give Work Out instead of a TM of their types, but it's clearly because otherwise they'd have to give three different TMs. Otherwise yes, you have that particular bit of early franchise weirdness.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1635626839652675590?t=4jkdohp8a7qFoDbdBcKhYQ&s=19

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-games/pokemon/with-over-1000-pokemon-game-freak-announces-a-cull/ how wierd we just talked about this

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tag!

I almost find the move purge to be as disappointing as the incomplete National Dexes-- even if some moves were crappy, they helped make each Pokemon feel unique instead of "this special-focused water type is more defensive than this offensive-focused one"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ohhhh we all know that every two-bit internet satirist out there is or was a goon :ninja:

also Hopper thank you for the tag! I have bounced around a lot of different Pokemon discussion groups online and off and this probably is the most level-headed one out there rn. many ironic? sincere? DC villain YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!! solipsisms out there over a more or less standard post-Gen 6 game. Im happy to contribute :tipshat:

speaking of Gen 6!

the flavor of the month for me is now Medicham! what a weird dude. not great, not terrible, but lots n lots of GBA style and design. I caught one in Omega Ruby last night and raised her, and I look forward to using it in my current Brilliant Pearl playthrough once I get my 8th Badge

e: Shining Pearl lol

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 14, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Throw out half the Water-types and that solves the issue

Or set the region in the middle of the desert

What I'm saying is give us a proper Orre trilogy with a thousand good dogs

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Game Freak give me Pokemon Conquest 2

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Throw out half the Water-types and that solves the issue

Or set the region in the middle of the desert

What I'm saying is give us a proper Orre trilogy with a thousand good dogs

I mean I would be all down for visiting Orre, but the games work *because* of the limited mon distribution, so adding a 1000 good dogs wouldn't improve them.
What would improve them would be removing that 100 floor climb dear god

wizard2 posted:

Game Freak give me Pokemon Conquest 2

Oh this I would get behind. Or a new Rangers game.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm at work right now, but through the power of turbo/macros, I have a Sylveon at home grinding the Academy Tournament.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Scholtz posted:

I'm at work right now, but through the power of turbo/macros, I have a Sylveon at home grinding the Academy Tournament.

good! that Sylveon money farm build rules. makes things so so much easier on the hands and mind, and if youre old enough to have been doing this from Gen 1, well.... anyway I named mine JG Wentworth 🧐

note: money cap is 9,999,999 which was like a 8h shift + breaks and commute for me and there were serious graphical glitches and freezes from who knows what when i returned so prob dont overdo it

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Oh one more thing before the shop closes down: :siren:Ash-Greninja with the signature Battle Bond ability is only available from the Sun and Moon Demo.:siren: You'll need to have access to the full version to withdraw it, but the Demo is the main thing to grab before the shop closure to maintain access to it.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon-special-demo-version-3ds/

Are there any other unique Pokemon obtainable from other software? I don't recall any of the Mystery Dungeons or Rangers adding anything that could ever transport to Home, but I've never looked too deeply into the offshoots.

And is it too late to request the gang tag? It's amazing and I want one please.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
hidden power was stupid and giving special attack pokémon a way to work around their movepool limitations was dumb

we are better off for its death

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm actually (mostly) on board with the move purge. There's an astonishing amount of extremely niche moves that have little use in either leveling up during the campaign or competitive play, and trimming them seems like the smartest way of cutting down on bloat. I'm just baffled that they cut Signal Beam and left a big gap in special Bug type coverage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not against a move purge but the way they did it seems really dumb and bad. There are still like 6 tackle variants.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Dogmeat posted:

Are there any other unique Pokemon obtainable from other software? I don't recall any of the Mystery Dungeons or Rangers adding anything that could ever transport to Home, but I've never looked too deeply into the offshoots.

I think just the Manaphy egg from one of the Ranger games?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think just the Manaphy egg from one of the Ranger games?

That's in every Ranger game, but Ranger 2 had Aura Sphere Riolu and early Dark Void Darkrai, and Rangers 3 had Detect/Meteor Mash Deoxys (if you played well), Eruption Heatran and a Shaymin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I don't mind so much but just for flavour reasons I wouldn't mind if there were like - multiple moves with identical effects that just had slightly different animations. So every physical fairy move isn't just Play Rough.

wizard2 you're welcome pal. I have never really grokked Medicham. It's such a weird fella. Just an odd little guy.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I don't mind so much but just for flavour reasons I wouldn't mind if there were like - multiple moves with identical effects that just had slightly different animations. So every physical fairy move isn't just Play Rough.

Bulbapedia has info boxes at the bottom of some of its move pages that blow my mind. like Ember is just fire-type Tackle! and they’re both Water Gun! not sure if that’s what you mean…?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Trying to catch up with the final cour of the anime before Ash leaves, but, man. Halfway through episode 3 it's just very awkward because the sendoff makes sense, do 10 episodes of the average pokemon episode, play the hits with some nostalgia bait stuff, but the problem is that there were over 700 episodes following that formula and i dropped out at 250 maybe and any time i tried getting back in i stopped at 3 episodes. Misty vs Ash trying to decide who gets the water type pokemon and then at the ten minute mark Team Rocket tries to steal it is just, so overdone even if all the individual bits were nice.

But that's mostly a me problem. What I'll say it's an actual problem is that they promoted this cour as "AIM TO BE A POKEMON MASTER" with Gary going "Ash, how close are you to being a pokemon master?" in the first trailer. The words pokemon master have not been said 9/11 episodes in. Gary is slated to show up in the last episode. This is very much a "the real treasure was the friends we made along the way, and Ash will always be traveling, forever and ever" ending, which isn't bad but folk thought it'd be more like eleven episodes that tie different stuff up neatly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have a theory that STAB was a late addition to Gen 1. That's why there are so many different Normal-type moves - they'd be a lot more useful for non-Normal types if not for STAB. The fact that every Bird Pokémon is half-normal could be a relic of this, because attacks like Gust and Razor Wind are Normal-type.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like Bide specifically exists more to show off 'here's how moves can get weird and force you to think' than to actually be good. It appears in the first gym and is only used by Onix, who's perhaps the Pokemon worst-equipped to actually use it effectively while still possibly being able to use it at all.

It's one of those many things about early Pokemon that doesn't make much sense until you consider the game as attempting to be a regular RPG with stuff like difficulty curves. Bide is the signature mechanic of the tutorial boss, it's basically trying to be Pokemon's equivalent of that 'goes into guard stance and fucks you up if you attack' boss that's in, like... every single Square game with a straight ATB system.

All of the Gym TMs in Gen 1 and 2 (and part of 3) are actually pretty explicitly signature mechanics of that Gym; because no Pokémon naturally learns any of those Moves, they're TM-exclusive in those games. Misty is the only enemy to use Bubblebeam because no Pokémon learns Bubblebeam without her TM, same with Giovanni and Fissure, Falkner and Mud-Slap, or Morty and Shadow Ball. Since Gen 1 (and to a lesser extent 2) were still very much figuring out where to go with the games and treated it a lot like an RPG as such the moves you get from those TMs also just scale up in usefulness as well (even though you have some baffling stuff like Sabrina giving the Psywave TM when Psychic is available for free in her own city).

In Gen 3 it starts to fall off some since only Flannery's Overheat, Wattson's Shock Wave, and Norman's Facade are TM-exclusive, though even then Rock Tomb, Bulk Up, and Aerial Ace all have very narrow non-TM distribution and iirc in the leaked prototype build all three aren't actually in any learnsets either, meaning Calm Mind and Water Pulse are the outliers, which are also more prevalent anyway.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

HopperUK posted:

The gangtag is uploaded! I'm heading for bed now. Post if you want it. If you already have a bunch of tags let me know if you want to replace one you already have; the admins like a max of three or I can put em in a marquee scroll.
I'm gonna ask that everyone only posts once. I'll do a round of queuing, and then announce in the thread when I'm done so anyone who got missed can PM me.

Thanks so much Red for making this lovely tag!

If you're still doing these, may I request the tag as well? Could you replace the bone tax and rat crew ones? (I'd like to keep the Raccoon Goons one.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Squats posted:

If you're still doing these, may I request the tag as well? Could you replace the bone tax and rat crew ones? (I'd like to keep the Raccoon Goons one.)

Please send me a PM because I am checking the thread at work and don't have buttons and I will definitely forget to go back! Same goes for anyone else who'd like the tag from now on, ping me in a PM.

I'm trusting you guys to behave till I get home in 3 hours!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Mods are gone, posts photos of dogs

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I spent so many hours trying to get the Super Multi Line trophy in White 1. So many attempts. My best ever attempt I got to 47 wins. I thought I was finally going to do it, and then some trainer with an Arcanine came along and ruined my day. And yet I cannot be mad at Arcanine

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Mods are gone, posts photos of dogs

WHAT THE

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1636115833184489472

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well that's ominous

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it ever not?

Klawf is definitely my favorite of the Gen 9 mons so far, for some reason. I just think he's neat!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I just wonder if their life cycle are like real crabs and they have to go down to the sea to release their eggs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It just looks like a crab with massive tufts of underarm hair to me and that's weird and offputting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hammerite posted:

It just looks like a crab with massive tufts of underarm hair to me and that's weird and offputting

don't body shame

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I just wonder if their life cycle are like real crabs and they have to go down to the sea to release their eggs.

Maybe they're like coconut crabs (I know that's Crabrawler) and have to release eggs into the sea, but also must not fall into the sea, or they'll drown

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hammerite posted:

It looks vaguely robotic and that's cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think Klawf looks like a big silly pal and I really like the way it looks. though I’m realizing just now that rock type may be my least used and least favorite across my history with Pokémon. Lycanroc and Klawf are the two I gently caress with Lycanroc is the only one I've used in a playthrough

e: A-Golem is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There are a ton of cool and good rock types like pretty much all the fossils, Lycanroc, Tyranitar, Garganacl, Iron Thorns, Aggron, Rhydon, Kleavor, Lairon, Macargo etc.

Like Rock overall is batting way over average in terms of kickin rad designs.