Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There any way for Hunters to get in on this fire bolt poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

MJeff posted:

There any way for Hunters to get in on this fire bolt poo poo?

1) Equip firebolt grenades

2) Equip firebolt grenade mods*

*SOME RESTRICTIONS APPLY: you can only do this after earning them on the artifact (columns 4 & 5)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you don’t have the fire bolt grenade option, buy it from Ikora in the tower

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dawn chorus makes my head look like a brass plated mantis and i am not okay with that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean whacky combinations like Warlocks and Titans can do with their aspects and exotics. :v:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

LionYeti posted:

I'm trying to figure out what build to take. I'm tempted to go Strand Titan if for no other reason then I started at the end of which queen and don't have a ton of old Exotics. Anyone know what the best legindary agnostic build is these days. Mostly PVE but some Gambit.

what are you into, power-wise? melee? grenades?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah anybody can get in on it, it's just Warlocks who have it Extra Spicy because of Dawn Chorus & the Aspect that enhances Grenades

Solar Surge -> Picking up a Fire Sprite grants 1x Armor Charge
Flare Up -> Firebolts apply 50+10 Scorch, spawn a Fire Sprite, and will apply 80+10 if you direct impact the enemy
Rain of Firebolts -> You get 2x Firebolts

Warlocks have
Touch of Flame -> Firebolt radius increases from 8 to 12 meters and can damage 5 (instead of 4) enemies
Dawn Chorus -> Scorch deals 200% extra damage and recharges your melee. Daybreak deals a FUCKload of damage

Warlocks get to actually run Daybreak instead of Well, AND they can ditch ugly Starfire? Bonus!

Hunters would want, I dunno, Caliban's? To help with chain ignitions?

Titans can run ol' reliable (HoIL), or Hallowfire, or Loreley, Path of Burning Steps, Severance Enclosure, Synthoceps, etc. No true best pick here, just lots of ways to add some zest

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What does Solar Severance enclosure do?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

What does Solar Severance enclosure do?

Normally severance enclosure makes your charged melee kills explode, but solar titan gets two special perks:

-you can recharge your hammer throw by recovering it and do it again instantly

-once you are radiant* ALL your punches count as powered melee and proc severance enclosure explosions in addition to adding scorch which also causes explosions if you do it enough (you will)

*it might be sol invictus that does this, I forget but you tend to have both a lot

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For some reason I thought Severance got a special bonus where it applied some keyword related stuff depending on your subclass, maybe that's just bombadiers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm far from being a Hardcore player (got a completion with clanmates after contest was over), but it is a bit jarring to hear that the world's first completion only took 2.5 hours.

The strange thing about difficulty right now is that it feels very erratic. The raid is easier than usual, LLSes and certain Nightfalls are monsters where you can easily be one-shot even after building heavily into survivability, patrol enemies still have red swords by their health bars even though I'm over the powerful cap, the Legendary campaign was mostly easier than WQ's but had a few absurd difficulty spikes, etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah Difficulty is a mess across the game right now. They tried to condense modes & modifiers and they did it in the classic "There's too many competing standards, let's add One new standard to hopefully replace them all" fashion

I don't mean to say any particular modes are too easy or too hard. I just mean it's a goddamn nightmare trying to figure out what the intended difficulty (qualitatively and quantitatively) of the content in the game

Like yesterday I did the Hypernet Current Strike from the Director, then the final campaign mission on Legendary, then the weekly story mission on Legend, then the Raid, then a Legend Lost Sector, and every single one of those was a wild swing in difficulty mechanics

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dawn Chorus -> Scorch deals 200% extra damage and recharges your melee. Daybreak deals a FUCKload of damage

On top of everything GGGC said, all warlock melee deals scorch and you're getting back melee energy from dealing scorch; if you run Heat Rises, kills while airborne gives you more melee. This is the poster child of why you spec into discipline, not because you need to focus on your grenade abilities but because melee is strong, independent, and doesn't need no mod-man.

Heat Rises is a powerful on-demand AOE healing ability. "Oh but I want to be dealing damage with grenades all the time" is aspirational, you know you miss your grenades sometimes when you are low on HP and panicking. If you have something that bestows double grenades -- e.g. the seasonal firebolt grenade mod -- it's kind of like having two estus flasks that heal your buddies & also you can use to deal damage if you're at full health.

If you run Phoenix Dive & Heat Rises, EACH enemy you hit when you land gets scorched so that's more melee energy. This behavior can get you killed a lot but phoenix dive is combination anti-boop tech (was using it a lot in root of nightmares especially when running nodes on the last encounter) and quick heal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Flashing back to Destiny 1 where the burns were +200% damage and nightfalls were mostly hiding because even splash damage would kill you

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I actually like the difficulty spikes in a lot of content. I thought the raid was fun, but it really was easier than others that I've done. It wasn't like... extremely easy or not worth the challenge like datto says, but it wasn't so hard it ejects everyone but the 21 hours a day players from the experience.

What I don't like is the lack of raid mechanics. The only real raid encounter was the Planets encounter, the rest were just "stand on plate" things that weren't all that fun. I really disliked the man cannons because they were buggy as poo poo and we're still going to have to FPS cap to use them correctly, even on normal mode.

I did find it extremely funny that the contest raid is easier than the nightfall. That was just goofy as poo poo. I have a feeling they deliberately tuned the raid down because it was Cabal (and they are harder enemies in general) but boy they missed the mark with the combat challenge.

I also think they didn't change the difficulty of the game at all. If you buildcraft and lean into the artifact and strand, the game is probably easier overall than it was last patch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

People didn't read the tooltips when they popped up one by one in each segment to teach you the class bit by bit.
It popped up in the middle of a fight and instantly disappeared because I crouched (or rather I failed to because the thing popped up).

I'm not saying dumping it on the player like they did with void would have been better because strand is a much, much weirder class, but putting onscreen prompts in the middle of a fight that you can instantly dismiss by pressing a button you commonly use in combat is not the best idea.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

they should take the strike from last week's nightfall and delete it from the game vault it

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
still lol’ing that the very first time you use the new abilities with a completely unfamiliar movement tech is in a darkness zone, in an area you’ve never seen before that is surrounded by bottomless pits. brilliant!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

What I don't like is the lack of raid mechanics. The only real raid encounter was the Planets encounter, the rest were just "stand on plate" things that weren't all that fun. I really disliked the man cannons because they were buggy as poo poo and we're still going to have to FPS cap to use them correctly, even on normal mode.

Yeah I find the new raid to be a bit boring for that reason. The 2nd encounter especially is just brutal because 4 people are just sitting around killing a few anemic enemies every so often while waiting for 2 people who may as well be on the other side of the galaxy to finish their thing.
I don't want it to be Harder, I just want to have some involvement with the outcome of the encounter. I want to be able to Save the Day if my runner biffs a jump and falls in a pit, rather than go 'oh well i guess that's a wipe; time to start over killing my red bars!'

The man cannons are a nightmare as well.

RocketRaygun posted:

I also think they didn't change the difficulty of the game at all. If you buildcraft and lean into the artifact and strand

I agree with this, and personally I enjoy it because I like variety and it's fun to have a rotating list of 'what is viable this season?'. I think ultimately the game is the same difficulty as before, assuming you are using a build that leans in to this season's special stuff

A lot of people aren't enjoying it because they dislike Buildcrafting, or maybe they want to run Square Peg build for this season's Round Hole Activity, and the new vision for difficulty punishes them for it.

Like for example, I see a lot of people saying Primaries feel like garbage now, and it's probably because they don't know to match their Subclass to the Surge and use an Exotic Kinetic. If you do that, your gun feels like it did last season. If you're running Random Vault Slop, or doing something silly like using a Stasis Primary, you're gonna be in the 'wow primaries feel like garbage!' gang

I think it's reasonable for people to be bothered by it, because Restrictive Buidcrafting (or even 'perceived' restrictive buildcrafting) is a bugbear to many in the community. I get so bored using the same stuff all the time so it's sort of fun to come up with a new build for every mode, but I totally get why it's not going over well as a whole.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 14, 2023

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/destiny2team/status/1635714646459158531?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

those old rank 10 and 11 requirements jesus loving christ

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Destiny tradition of the initial-target-numbers-guy being wildly optimistic in their projections of what the player base could actually accomplish remains unbroken to this day.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wasn't contest mode just to make sure nobody can out level the raid and make it fair for everybody? It's not really supposed to be the "hardest thing" in Destiny. That's Master/GM stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Paracelsus posted:

The Destiny tradition of the initial-target-numbers-guy being wildly optimistic in their projections of what the player base could actually accomplish remains unbroken to this day.

The most galling example of this remains Season of the Worthy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBX posted:

Wasn't contest mode just to make sure nobody can out level the raid and make it fair for everybody? It's not really supposed to be the "hardest thing" in Destiny. That's Master/GM stuff.

Bungie has its own view of the game, often independent from how the players engage with it

"Philosophically, we are attempting to bring the difficulty levels of Legend closer to the popular Legendary Campaign experience, and the Master experience closer to day-one raids."

(On Master Content) "We also tuned enemy health pools so that if you completely ignore elemental buildcrafting, you’ll experience day one raid-like combat difficulty. After that, you can choose elemental or Overcharge bonuses to make it easier. Additionally, the Threat modifier is turned off in raids and dungeons so that enemies won’t be doing more damage than on day one.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RBX posted:

yes but try telling that to a streamer

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

like before contest mode existed people who played the game literally for a job were way, way, way ahead of normals to the point where attempting WF was just not viable unless you’d taken a couple weeks off work

artifact power and contest mode both come from a deliberate decision to change that, as did raids dropping on a weekend. this was the first Friday raid in years and I think the only reason it was on a Friday is because it’s annoying for devs to have to work weekends when they already work M-F

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I think tying commendations to anything significant is a mistake, because now you have incentive to find cheese grind strats

Just make it a number that goes up separate from the other systems and make it visible to other players

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think it's both. Contest Mode was created so the nobody could overlevel the raid and people could participate and have a chance to win the race without Omega grinding, but they set the bar 20 levels or whatever below the raid and give you an emblem for completing it for a reason. They want the initial raid experience to be more difficult.

I don't remember exactly when they introduced contest mode but I'm pretty sure in effect it's supposed to be trying to chase the feeling of people doing Last Wish for the first time with no idea what was going on and SEVERELY underleveled.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 14, 2023

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

what are you into, power-wise? melee? grenades?

If I can get the aim of the hammer down better I'd be down doing Solar, I do like being up close and personal punching dudes but don't have any exotic shotguns that really scream out to me. I would like strand but it sucks that the grapple is on that long of a timer in the real world.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

I think tying commendations to anything significant is a mistake, because now you have incentive to find cheese grind strats

Just make it a number that goes up separate from the other systems and make it visible to other players

guardian ranks aren't significant

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ElNarez posted:

Yeah which is disappointing its the basis of the in game "Hey idiot heres how to play Destiny" thing I wanted but they didn't take it far enough. Which reminds me, is there a good idiots guide to buildcrafting out there?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

artifact power and contest mode both come from a deliberate decision to change that

Artifact power was why that happened, it was the most direct time -> power tool they had yet introduced and it's the reason playing full time for a week makes you so much more powerful than casuals who play a couple of hours a night or less

Contest mode was the antidote to that, it set a hard cap on the amount of grinding time that helped you get into a launch-day raid and after that you can relax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think it's reasonable for people to be bothered by it, because Restrictive Buidcrafting (or even 'perceived' restrictive buildcrafting) is a bugbear to many in the community. I get so bored using the same stuff all the time so it's sort of fun to come up with a new build for every mode, but I totally get why it's not going over well as a whole.

Yeah, see, I'm the opposite. I would be OK with tweaking builds to focus on high-end activities but most of the time I'd like a comfortable build I'm used to that works in most activities across a wide variety of weapons. But now most of the activities worth doing after you pass the newbie intro material require a tuned build and some call for a differently tuned build each week. That's way more build tweaking than I want to do.

ElNarez posted:

Bungie should have learned by now that number go up is its own reward and if you display a number everyone will want it to go up even if that doesn't meaningfully change your experience

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ElNarez posted:

It's silly to say this

It's a system we're meant to engage with, has actual tangible gameplay benefits, and some people might just like to see number go up. Triumphs are equally (in)significant and it's worth the effort to fix them when they're broken

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
On the flip side of the coin I think encounter 3 of RoN is by far the weakest, and feels like it's from a different raid. The other encounters are much more dynamic, and you can totally have someone save the day if people know the mechanics. Encounters 1, 2 are like Exhibition-lite (the best raid encounter in the game) while 3 is like Atheon-lite which is meh. 4 is better-rhulk and also a great time.

Plus there's only so many things you can do when you only have a gun and interact button and they want to make the encounters class and subclass agnostic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah the elephant in the room here is that Bungie has been doing this for 10 years, what else can they really do with raid mechanics that we haven't seen before.

They're not gonna make something element or class dependent and they're not gonna make some truly impenetrable poo poo like Last Wish again. I liked Vow but that was kinda straining the whole "tell your teammates what thing is what" shtick to the extreme.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

we saw what happens on peer-to-peer networking when you try to do something other than standing on plates and throwing orbs in the final encounter of Garden of Salvation, and the answer is nobody can figure out how to work the tether except the weird insular community of guys with 500 GoS clears who are also all inexplicably racist on comms

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thank you boys and girls for guiding me through my first Deep Stone Crypt. I had no idea what was going on but glad I could be there!

(I got Eyes of Tomorrow!)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I thought Osteo Striga was good, but I felt like I was always reloading. Dear god does the catalyst boost it into something unreal. I haven’t even tried it on my Warlock with Necrotic Grip yet, but it’s so good on my Strand Titan.

I only have a few LF Legendary campaign missions left, but I’m pretty burnt out on it. I know Calus is going to suck, but i need those exotic boots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

we saw what happens on peer-to-peer networking when you try to do something other than standing on plates and throwing orbs in the final encounter of Garden of Salvation, and the answer is nobody can figure out how to work the tether except the weird insular community of guys with 500 GoS clears who are also all inexplicably racist on comms

this is canon