Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Oh that is extremely interesting news. Baikonur has been an obvious vulnerability ever since the USSR collapsed, and my impression is that all Russian attempts to build a space port within their borders have fizzled out in much the same way as all their prestige projects.

Oh, it's much better than that. Vostochny Cosmodrome, the replacement for Baikonur in the Far East, has been under development for 15 years and has almost beat the Sochi Olympics in the "most money ever ripped off from the Russian taxpayer" event. And it's STILL not fully operational.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostochny_Cosmodrome

quote:

Corruption severely set back construction of the Vostochny Cosmodrome. According to Russian prosecutors, at least US$165 million was embezzled during the construction process (critics claim that these numbers are severely downplayed), and in 2015, 350 workers painted giant messages on their barracks, asking Vladimir Putin to help after long payment delays. By July 2016, the price for the spaceport was US$7.5 billion with costs rising every year (for example, an additional US$105 million was requested in 2016). By 2019, about 60 persons had been convicted for corruption.

Until the invasion, the head of the Vostochny project, along with the rest of Roscosmos, was our good friend Dmitry Rogozin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: when do the muskets come out.

If some Twitter stuff I saw today is true they’ve already hit the bottom of the tech tree in some places. There was some stills and video of some Russian soldiers who got dead and they were armed with sticks.

It’s like there’s always going to be new low points no matter how low it already got. I’m trying to picture the scenario where the commander orders some poor bastards to go assault that AFU position and just hands them a 3 foot piece of wood and wishes them luck. Not a sharp one or even one with a sharp rock tied to it.

Would sticks / rocks be the bottom or would fists be level 0?

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fists, tools are always a step up from baseline.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Midjack posted:

Fists, tools are always a step up from baseline.

I think we hit the baseline when it was clear Wagner PMC was training convict recruits about to be sent into Bakhmut to be bullet sponges and nothing else. Weapons were completely optional.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Re: when do the muskets come out.

If some Twitter stuff I saw today is true they’ve already hit the bottom of the tech tree in some places. There was some stills and video of some Russian soldiers who got dead and they were armed with sticks.

It’s like there’s always going to be new low points no matter how low it already got. I’m trying to picture the scenario where the commander orders some poor bastards to go assault that AFU position and just hands them a 3 foot piece of wood and wishes them luck. Not a sharp one or even one with a sharp rock tied to it.

Would sticks / rocks be the bottom or would fists be level 0?

It was less they were armed with sticks than they were using them as crutches to limp along with, possibly also having lost or abandoned their weapons.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Switzerland is destroying old Rapier anti-air systems rather than donating them to Ukraine or selling them back to the Brits (who made them): https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati..._6019124_4.html

The Swiss really know how to make friends.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Switzerland needs the EU way more than the EU needs Switzerland, so I'm really surprised they're continuing to poke the bear.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So we're clear, this is the same Switzerland that accepts deposits in gold eyeglasses frames, wedding bands, and teeth.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
This is also the same Switzerland that has accidentally invaded Lichtenstein half a dozen times over the past half a century because they haven't got a drat clue how anything more militarily complex than a five kilometer march works.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tbh, Lichtenstein is a Swiss canton with a convenient excuse more than a sovereign country; it's not like their border with Switzerland is well protected or even especially noticeable.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"Commander and driver after thundering through the triple S wire barrier at full speed at night"

https://twitter.com/KampfmitKette/status/1635398629476438016

"Why would anyone do that?", you might ask. Well,...

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1319296387973042176

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1629036862810497024
:laugh:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Awww, not this. All this time I've been waiting when will Kharkiv oblast be fully liberated, this is a wrong development. :(

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Wagner have switched from recruiting convicts to recruiting highschoolers

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1635161301247840256

Russia's demographic problem is going to get even weirder.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

That's assuming he even gets to keep those recruits. This month there was increasing news on Telegram about Wagner recruits being picked up by Russian MoD representatives and suborned under their own battalions or brigades instead of being sent to join Wagner. Even Prigozhin complained himself about it once.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Wagner have switched from recruiting convicts to recruiting highschoolers

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1635161301247840256

Russia's demographic problem is going to get even weirder.

How horrible to recruit high school kids. What sort of barbarians would do such a thing?

Btw, what did you get on your ASVAB?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
See we just trick them when they're young and ignorant. We have the decency to wait a few years to get them injured.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

IPCRESS posted:

So we're clear, this is the same Switzerland that accepts deposits in gold eyeglasses frames, wedding bands, and teeth.

Oh yeah in 1997 a Swiss bank guard blew the whistle that his bank was illegally destroying documents related to Holocaust assets, leading to a massive settlement with the victims, and the Swiss authorities were so mad at him he became the first Swiss citizen to get political asylum in the US.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I spoke to a swiss guy recently and he was bragging that they didn't accept the Nazi gold, they just stole it. Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Nominal Neutrality is a hell of a drug.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Borscht posted:

I spoke to a swiss guy recently and he was bragging that they didn't accept the Nazi gold, they just stole it. Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy.

The also refused to take basically any Jewish asylum seekers in the 30s.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1635681468730028040?s=20

gonna be an interesting day if it's one of ours shot down by RUS

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

pmchem posted:

Tempest in a teapot and most. It’s a drone around an active war zone, who cares?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1635685779639873540

Looks like forced down by a RU fighter jet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Forced down” is an interesting phrase.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So is “hit by a Russian aircraft” really.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So they dumped fuel on it, then tried to intimidate an unmanned drone and I guess ran in to it? Not sure how exactly they expected that one to play out. Sounds like a Ferrari trying to frighten a tractor trailer, only with stall speeds in the mix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Top Gun scene except Tom Cruise is giving the finger to a drone and getting increasingly upset at the lack of response

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

psydude posted:

The also refused to take basically any Jewish asylum seekers in the 30s.

Nobody really covered themselves with glory in that respect tbh

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jonny Nox posted:

Tempest in a teapot and most. It’s a drone around an active war zone, who cares?

In international airspace and definitely intentional? Seems like some folks might care

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No one with the power to do anything about it is going to care

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EasilyConfused posted:

Nobody really covered themselves with glory in that respect tbh

IIRC, Portugal made a valiant effort?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CainFortea posted:

What're they gonna do, start a proxy war with Russia?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
No fly zone! :stoked:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
We should just give Russian bases in Crimea a quick bombing for funsies in response.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CainFortea posted:

Biden will probably announce the next aid package early and/or put some extra goodies in it as a response.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

We should just give Russian bases in Crimea a quick bombing for funsies in response.

A proportional response. Just one SDB that destroy's the fighter that forced it down (while it's parked and no one around) from out of nowhere.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Fox News is definitely going to play this up and try to force an angle of Biden being ineffectual and failing to meet our enemie's antagonism.

With that widdle election coming up I wouldn't be so sure that no one with the power to do anything is going to care

edit: Looks like the Russian Ambassador is being summoned about it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Murgos posted:

A proportional response. Just one SDB that destroy's the fighter that forced it down (while it's parked and no one around) from out of nowhere.

Nah, JDAM filled with concrete. Much less chance of collateral damage.

This incident is exactly why we're using UAVs for recon work, nobody is in harm's way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mllaneza posted:

Nah, JDAM filled with concrete. Much less chance of collateral damage.

This incident is exactly why we're using UAVs for recon work, nobody is in harm's way.

World's first orbital strike