Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I haven't played a *ton* of Alchemy, but the sense I got was the smaller card pool meant there were fewer tools available to attack the meta compared to Historic. Historic just seems like a more fun and varied format, plus you still get to play with all the cool fun fake cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Rinkles posted:

Apparently Crokeyz went F2P nothing (so only using wild cards he got for free) to mythic in 10 and a half hours. The short play time of typical RDW games helped, but that’s impressive regardless.

I just watched the recap he put up on youtube. 155 games with 111 wins on a fresh account. That's pretty insane. Well done!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Meanwhile I am finally regressing to the mean and went 4-7 in today's standard session, I really should only play to one win a day lol

rinski posted:

I haven't played a *ton* of Alchemy, but the sense I got was the smaller card pool meant there were fewer tools available to attack the meta compared to Historic. Historic just seems like a more fun and varied format, plus you still get to play with all the cool fun fake cards.

Izzet Wizards dominates historic purely because of the Alchemy buff to Symmetry Sage making it wildly hyperefficient lol, it is one of the most unhinged changes they could have made

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I showed Alchemy Symmetry Sage to a Legacy player at the shop and he just started laughing

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The worst part of Alchemy is it introduced Rusko, Clockmaker to Historic Brawl, which is the least fun deck I have ever played against, and there's 10,000 of them, even outside of the hellqueue.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
When hell is all full, the Clockmakers will walk the world.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I had tried to build a symmetry sage deck when it first came out. Didn't realize it had an alchemy change so I was kinda surprised when it started showing again.

Granted I was also running adeliz so the rest of the deck was also probably bad.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Izzet Wizards dominates historic purely because of the Alchemy buff to Symmetry Sage making it wildly hyperefficient lol, it is one of the most unhinged changes they could have made

oh yeah, definitely an odd choice. that being said, Sage isn't exactly an anomaly given the rest of format, right?

like there's traditional Izzet Wizards, the newer Izzet deck that's more all-in on Wayward Guide-Beast, various flavors of Light-Paws Enchantress, UW artifacts with Michiko's Reign of Truth, and I've seen some versions of combo Rotpriest as well. all of those are capable of leveraging tiny, efficient creatures to deal massive damage out of nowhere, typically with protection. it can be a brutal format, for sure, but the larger card pool also gives you much better answers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Brave move opponent to reanimate your cruelty of gix at 1 life. :patriot:

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Bugsy posted:

Brave move opponent to reanimate your cruelty of gix at 1 life. :patriot:

Sometimes you gotta go out on your own terms.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MasterBuilder posted:

Me playing against toxic

Bottom of the stack was a March of Swirling Mist targeting each of their creatures

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MasterBuilder posted:

True, but they are way ahead on board and have 15 mana to cast their spells. My yard was stocked because of the ultimatum, but I was pretty sure I was going to lose to 5 color bullshit there.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

maybe they just added it to their list and hadn’t gotten used to its nuance just yet. testing my pod list I definitely dropped a few games because I forgot what my list was and sacrificed my best creature for a failed seek.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

some of it came up in my feed: the LOTR stuff is like direct to modern or something right

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there any pattern to going first or second? Obviously globally it balances out, but losing the coin flip 6 times in a row against RDW and/or Toxic sure feels bad (somewhere in between there was a single coin win against a mid range deck).

Share Bear posted:

some of it came up in my feed: the LOTR stuff is like direct to modern or something right

Yeah, it won’t be standard legal.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Well if like me, you have never played Strixhaven and are doing MWM and are unsure if Crackling with Power is insane or unplayable, go ahead and p1p1 it because it is insane. Mwahahaha

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah, free phantom draft! Didn’t know they did those.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I wish they were around more often, feels nice to not have to sweat a bad deck or bail on a losing game.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Do I want to be main-decking good lessons like fractal or elemental summoning, or trying to always get them with learn spells?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

snyprmag posted:

Do I want to be main-decking good lessons like fractal or elemental summoning, or trying to always get them with learn spells?

You usually want to get a mix of learn and lesson so you don't end up maindecking lessons. While the rare lessons can be very niche the summoning and intros are mostly just good to be able to grab. I took lesson and learn pretty highly in STX, not sure how much the bots enable or suppress that.

Edit: lol don't try this at home, goin off the deep end channeling my inner Sam Black https://www.17lands.com/deck/de784d462a77402aa645b9205517147b/2

waloo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 15, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seems fairly highly. I didn’t see a single Environmental Lessons. But that quickly became a first pick in real draft.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
my vague understanding is lots of lessons arent quite good enough to be a card you'd want to draw, but when you tack them on as an extra effect from a learn spell then all of a sudden youre getting way more value for your turn/mana because you can view learn spells as having "draw a card", where the card is guaranteed to be the one you need most of the options

e: i don't remember how mwm phantom drafts work - if i end up with something completely unplayable can i concede the draft and re-do it or are you just locked in (pretty sure its this one?)

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 15, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God I forgot just how good strixhaven was.

quite stretched out posted:

e: i don't remember how mwm phantom drafts work - if i end up with something completely unplayable can i concede the draft and re-do it or are you just locked in (pretty sure its this one?)

I don’t think so. I don’t see an option for a redo.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Locked in, pretty sure

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Spent a draft token on a ONE draft and everyone kept passing me the rare dual lands. Gave up on a good deck pretty fast and took what I wanted for the collection instead. Never saw any serious bombs besides All Will Be One, so who knows, maybe the right choice regardless.

Built a god-awful blue red deck that ate poo poo every game, finished 0-3. Still, feels good knowing I gave a bunch of other people easy wins. Hope one of them ended 7-0 :unsmith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I drafted a 4 color durdle pile without any great win cons, but with 2 draconic interventions. It wiped the floor with every 2 color deck. The one loss was against another multi color deck that had Mascot Exhibition.

I love how slow and powerful Strix games are. I had 2 cards in library left in my final game (cause I was drawing 3 a turn)!

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Spent a draft token on a ONE draft and everyone kept passing me the rare dual lands. Gave up on a good deck pretty fast and took what I wanted for the collection instead. Never saw any serious bombs besides All Will Be One, so who knows, maybe the right choice regardless.

Built a god-awful blue red deck that ate poo poo every game, finished 0-3. Still, feels good knowing I gave a bunch of other people easy wins. Hope one of them ended 7-0 :unsmith:
All Will Be One looks like it could be sweet but unfortunately the card is horrible in draft because this is a fast format and tapping out for an enchantment that does nothing the turn it is played is like asking your opponent to punch in your face. One of the worst performing red cards in the format.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
having a good time with standard ponza

I eventually lost due to not drawing anything but lands, ironically, for like half a dozen turns, but it was pretty hilarious nuking all but two of their lands and them not having any basics to replace them

this is the ponza deck I used, swapping out the spirited companions for ambitious farmhands for the guaranteed land drops, and swapped out...I want to say a restoration of eiganjo and a wandering emperor for two march of otherworldly light since the deck otherwise has zero ways to deal with planeswalkers besides smashing their faces in. any deck running planeswalkers right now probably has ways to deal with my critters, and sometimes you have to deal with that temporal pilgrim RIGHT NOW before he poops out more than one overpowered creature token
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at5qApwPME&hd=1

also lmao get poo poo on gimmicky thran temporal gateway deck, ulamog won't save you from being shot in the face

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

You don't have to take rare lands early, I've seen them come back around for picks 9-15. The format is way less bomb oriented than people say too. Its mostly 2-drop oriented. I'm like 90% sure that playing a pair of 2-drops on turn 4 is better than almost any 4-drop in the set. Throw in a couple removal spells and you're ready to go! You probably also want 1-2 offensive combat tricks. The best ones are the white one that buffs a creature and draws a card if the creature has toxic, and the red +3/+1 and exile a card from your deck.

Just a couple pointers if you ever decide to give it another shot!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Ah gently caress I just threw a game because I panicked and roped and couldn’t figure out which creatures to buff.

Forgot to use Unctus’s blue creature conversion +1/+1 and missed lethal by exactly one. Feels bad.

Got tilted/owned and went from 4-0 to 4-3. Including a really rough loss where I was one turn off from stabilizing with White Sun’s Twilight for x=5.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Today's Daily Deals are inspired. (By murder.)

eta: Drafted Prismari for MWM. I really do enjoy that format. Also managed to snag 20 gems from the first prize card and a Mishra's Foundry from the second. All in all a profitable venture.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've been forcing UB in draft for like a week and a half now, but I got Vorinclex P1P1 and ended up in some kind of GW grindy deck.

Which makes it all the more annoying that I saw not one but TWO Kaitos in pack 3. I literally got passed one as P3P5...

At least my deck is also good but goddamn.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I keep up on my dailies mostly and play a mix of historic and explorer and I think both are in fine spots right now.

UR wizards is good enough that sometimes I have a hard time finding a reason to play something else, so maybe that needs some scrutiny; on the other hand, I've periodically obliterated that deck with mono-G, it just depends on if their removal lines up with whatever ramp engine I get going. Making a turn 3 cavalier is hard to beat, and also fairly hard to do against the deck full of shock effects.

I rarely make it above Plat because I like to play dumb poo poo in my free time. I hit mythic once when I was 3 months into Arena, and haven't given a poo poo since. I don't believe in the play queue.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Went 1-3 in Strixhaven draft w Silverquill + Lorehold, currently 5-2 w a Quandrix + Witherbloom deck that really made my brain overheat trying to make decisions drafting it:

Thanks to advice in the thread from years past recommending enviro sciences first pick, but I really miss the fractal summonings I had to pass.

Would anyone build this differently ? I'm looking at it now and I could maybe drop the black entirely, although Rise of Extus is equal parts uncastable and game-saving lol Am I correct in not running Tend the Pests or Infuse Vitality in this build??

Either way, it's a really cool experience to go from One to Strix, they definitively feel like different planes. Strix is so much slower and card advantage focused (seems like can still get blown out by white Eager First Yr + Combat professor pretty easily) whereas One just feels so locked into brutal gladiator deathmatch. I dislike the energy One makes me have in my mind, but I have to admit it's successful at differentiating from other sets in that way!

EDIT: Zephyr boots is a house, definitely makes games feel like "Harry Potter and the Star Quarterback that Solves All the Problems, While Everyone Else Just Watches". I won one game to my opp decking out 10 cards ahead of me, and I was churning plenty of card draw+discard! Incidental life gain helps w the sense of a different plane. .... I guess my opponents are sometimes letting me win, I don't know what it would look like at top level play lol

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 15, 2023

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
strixhaven phantom draft was fun, felt like i was doing it wrong but i think i just have trouble shifting formats and ONE is so aggressive. that said trying to draft cheap creatures and removal still paid off, ran roughshod over each deck i faced with a 50/50 black/white split of just cheaper, aggressive or value creatures and removal except for one game where i drew only black cards and only plains and one game where the opposite happened, despite mulliganing down each time.

spiteful squad did better than i thought it should thanks to having several cheapish fliers which was nice given i ended up with 2, it did a lot of work stabilizing if the enemy survived enough to ramp out a big fractal or similar and then sticking the counters on the fliers helped continue the beatdown

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Did a phantom Strixhaven bot draft. Drafted the secret blue/black deck. Was fun to play Some janky magic again

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I went Orzhov and used things that pile on +1 counters and used combat tricks to abuse magecraft 2drops. A friend of mine got 3 Elite Spellbinders in each first pick, lucky.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I did RW and remembered that gettign learn cards and a learn board was pretty vital.

I don't think my deck was good or had any massive synergies i just curved out well and played a good bomb at least twice (Blade Historian, also Mascot Exhibition)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The newest episode of "I watch a Bosh N Roll Legacy video and try to make a jank version in Explorer": ichormoon gauntlet super friends proliferate

Losing quite a bit but when it does go off it is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

For MWM I lucked out into a quandrix (ug) fractals deck, with three copies of Serpentine Curve and plenty of lessons. The opponents were nt very good though, I mean who the hell runs WB Dramatic Finale AND the RW thing that gives double strike on attack?