Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Also, where do you get the new Sukhoi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Deki posted:

I take it's in full liquid form and not like, fuel canisters that could realistically be recovered?

I'm 99% sure it's just straight liquid. The tanks can be jettisoned as well depending on the platform were talking about but I've never heard anything about retrieval operations during my time in the Navy. They just dump it and keep it moving. I think the time and resources spent on retrieval would far outweigh the cost of just replacing the canisters, it would also put the strike group at a tactical disadvantage.

also this:

tiaz posted:

The additional fuel tanks don't have any kind of recovery system. If they get jettisoned they impact the ocean (or the ground) at high speed and are destroyed.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
This reckless Putin guy is gonna get someone killed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nessus posted:

not much

what's Sukhoi with you?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Deptfordx posted:

Those things are packed with extremely expensive electronics. No way you're getting one for less than an old Sukhoi.

Maybe one of the newer ER versions, but the standard Reaper design is over a dozen years old, and the US military is already trying to develop a replacement (General Atomics Mojave, I think). While that's very new technology by Russian standards, by US military standards these are getting a bit outdated.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I'm lolling at the mental image of an F35 jettisoning its fuel tank into the ocean, and the pilot just looking down going "shitttt.... why is there even a button for that"

In Russia chat, I'm getting the impression from public releases that the reaction from the Pentagon is a collective shoulder shrug

One time playing this old flight sim called Fighter Pilot my friend sneakily rebound my Missile Arming hotkey to Eject when i went to go to the bathroom, I came back and triumphantly yelled MISSILE AWAY, FOX 2 (like bill pullman in independence day) and promptly flew out of the top of my f-16 and parachuted gently to the ground

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Maybe we should send a carrier group into the black Sea to ensure safety precautions are taken in the area

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

One time playing this old flight sim called Fighter Pilot my friend sneakily rebound my Missile Arming hotkey to Eject when i went to go to the bathroom, I came back and triumphantly yelled MISSILE AWAY, FOX 2 (like bill pullman in independence day) and promptly flew out of the top of my f-16 and parachuted gently to the ground

LMAO

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Our strat for that was to unpause, press j to start jettisoning the unwitting friend's fuel, then pause again

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

:lol:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I'm lolling at the mental image of an F35 jettisoning its fuel tank into the ocean, and the pilot just looking down going "shitttt.... why is there even a button for that"

In Russia chat, I'm getting the impression from public releases that the reaction from the Pentagon is a collective shoulder shrug

Old jets used to drop their fuel tanks when about to start dog fighting. During this engagement an Israeli accidently dropped all his missiles at the same time lol

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Maybe we should send a carrier group into the black Sea to ensure safety precautions are taken in the area

Genuine question: If the US were to show up at the Bosporus with a Carrier group would Turkey have to let them through because NATO or some other treaty or could Turkey just laugh and tell them to get the gently caress out of there?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The treaties are older than NATO and say that unless Turkey itself is at war, it can't let any warships over 10k tons through, unless they are formally based in the Black Sea by one of of the local powers.

Countries at war can't move ships through the straits unless they are returning to their prewar naval base.

If Turkey is at war, it can disregard any limits.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

steinrokkan posted:

The treaties are older than NATO and say that unless Turkey itself is at war, it can't let any warships over 10k tons through, unless they are formally based in the Black Sea by one of of the local powers.

Countries at war can't move ships through the straits unless they are returning to their prewar naval base.

If Turkey is at war, it can disregard any limits.

:hmmyes:

also, even if it weren't legally dicey, I assume any carrier group would be reticent to transit such a strait. carriers prefer to be far from land (and land-based systems) and free to maneuver.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nessus posted:

How soon we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne7beWy8fU

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/Nj9ImVa.mp4

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

I wonder if that was that forte10 drone that kept showing up since the beginning of the war. It disappeared for a few months then showed up again a few days ago.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

glynnenstein posted:

Everybody should check out the most recent War on the Rocks episode. Kofman just got back from another trip to Ukraine and has a pretty fresh update on the situation on the ground, prospects for a good guy spring offensive, insights about Russian tactics and where Wagner fits in, and a frankly depressing reality check about Ukrainian forces and the attrition they've faced.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it's a very particular point of Turkish sovereignty and international treaty that they're allowed to close the Bosporus to any military shipping they see fit if they're at war or 'feel threatened'.

So basically anyone on either side trying to come swinging into the Black Sea is loving around and at risk of finding out

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Gros Tarla posted:

I wonder if that was that forte10 drone that kept showing up since the beginning of the war. It disappeared for a few months then showed up again a few days ago.

The forte flights are the much more capable and expensive jet-powered rq-4s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_RQ-4_Global_Hawk

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gros Tarla posted:

Forte 10 is a Global Hawk, and that thing is massive, wingspan of a Boeing 737

e: beaten, but I have a picture!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Cute beluga drone aww

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Gervasius posted:

I wonder what would happen if some dumbass in a MiG flew into one of these super expensive drones?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://i.imgur.com/zkCY7o7.mp4

Strategic Tea posted:

I think it's a very particular point of Turkish sovereignty and international treaty that they're allowed to close the Bosporus to any military shipping they see fit if they're at war or 'feel threatened'.

So basically anyone on either side trying to come swinging into the Black Sea is loving around and at risk of finding out
It's at their discretion though, isn't it?

Anyway it's not a carrier but a cruiser, and it was always Ukrainian and based in Odessa

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
poo poo they can have Steven Segal, load him up on a giant slingshot and that takes care of that

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

StrangersInTheNight posted:

poo poo they can wheel Steven Segal in an office chair, load him up on a giant slingshot and that takes care of that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh for sure they could allow a NATO fleet through. Just that trying to sail through without everyone in complete agreement would be the most furious middle finger an ally could possibly commit.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Pekinduck posted:

The forte flights are the much more capable and expensive jet-powered rq-4s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_RQ-4_Global_Hawk

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Sashimi posted:

I wonder what would happen if some dumbass in a MiG flew into one of these super expensive drones?

They would both explode and not much else. Iran shot one down and the US just wagged a finger.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DiomedesGodshill posted:

They would both explode and not much else. Iran shot one down and the US just wagged a finger.

Russia losing a fighter to go kamikaze on a Reaper drone is like a poor person crashing their hooptie into some rich person's Mercedes for spite: after the initial 'gotcha!' wears off, the rich person gets another car in a day or two with no real hassle, while the poor guy doesn't have the resources to easily replace what was lost.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

IIRC Turkey has already invoked that treaty and cut the Black Sea Fleet off from any reinforcements lol

https://twitter.com/Mr_Anderton_/status/1635731178836688897?s=20

lmao can't wait to see that

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 14, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

Military jet fuel AKA JP-8 is kerosene with some additives.

Arguably burning it is more harmful to the environment than dumping it in the ocean since it just evaporates :v:

What do you think happens to the fuel once it evaporates? Evaporates doesn't mean "ceases to exist".

It will likely be broken down eventually by UV light, resulting in the same amount of CO2 as burning it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Steven Seagal, clad in traditional Russian garb,

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree, he is Russian.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

IIRC Turkey has already invoked that treaty and cut the Black Sea Fleet off from any reinforcements lol

https://twitter.com/Mr_Anderton_/status/1635731178836688897?s=20

lmao can't wait to see that

I was just reading a bunch more details here, they also mentioned possibly declassifying footage: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russian-su-27-collided-with-u-s-mq-9-over-black-sea

Which would be great because the russians of course announced they didn't touch anything and it just magically crashed by itself

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Sashimi posted:

No propeller to hit, to do the trick you'd probably need a way riskier bonk.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

just Ukraine alone with whatever help they got and their own trained armies. He ends on an extremely bitter note that this was all supposedly set up and planned by America to destroy Russia as a geopolitical threat. My dear traitor, this would never have happened if you and the others hadn't provoked it to start with. :shrug:

Its nice to see that conspiracy poo poo is universal. Putin wanted to do a regime change, with a special military operation. kiev was to fall in a week, the us state department offered to get zelinksy out, zelinisky chose to stay the UA chose to fight.

The utter failure of the russia army on all levels shatter the near peer world view, if anything the russian military should ve had its house in order and most clearly should have just not bothered with its special operation.

There is a russian woman who works at my office, i ve avoided talking about the war with her.

But I didnt mention all the nerd tank chat that goes on, and she basically expressed a view that russia has no new tanks and think we see was just dug up out of Chechenia

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ups_rail posted:

There is a russian woman who works at my office, i ve avoided talking about the war with her.

Been to the office a handful of times since this started and don't mention it when I'm in the Russian district, still wonder what their thoughts are on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Russian guys in my office love clowning on russia and putin. They think the war is loving stupid. One of them hangs out with the russian society which also has a bunch of ukrainian members. Lots of russians that get out got out for a reason. They think russia sucks.