Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Corruption and doom
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1635720062295482368?t=gNB3rHgHBKxmipl1ByyZoA&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

HallelujahLee posted:

hasent facebook already fired like 40k people in the past few months

They let go 10k in the last month or two.

Gross, I know two c suite people at Apollo that I used to work with. They were both terrible and not inspiring, love seeing people fail up.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

Facebook laying off 11k more is pretty bad too, they mention HR/recruiting but they can’t possibly have that many people.

they employed like 100k people which seems like a lot just for a website that lets boomers post the n word. i think this dumb dead forum only has one single employee: jeff

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bizboyle/status/1635659360578748417?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
since everyone is complaining they can’t get a tech job now, I think they might have luck this time pushing it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Regional bank stocks have given up a lot of their gains from the overnight bounce. WAL is red, FRC is headed to red.

Market rallied bigly on CPI number but have sold off into the day's close.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The corporatist Sherrod brown
https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1635718887139311637?s=19

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

If you have a pandemic-era WFH gig, cling to it tightly. Being grandfathered into one of those is gonna rule in a few years after Management gets all of its Team back Together in Person to feel Bad about having Worse Office Seating Assignments, the one true purpose of Return to Office.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My last employer just subleased five floors of space they no longer need because the people who occupied them are permanently WFH now.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Cyberpunk Dystopia, cheers mate

thx!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Stereotype posted:

they employed like 100k people which seems like a lot just for a website that lets boomers post the n word. i think this dumb dead forum only has one single employee: jeff

no i think the coder guy gets paid

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

coelomate posted:

If you have a pandemic-era WFH gig, cling to it tightly. Being grandfathered into one of those is gonna rule in a few years after Management gets all of its Team back Together in Person to feel Bad about having Worse Office Seating Assignments, the one true purpose of Return to Office.

My job (employer is based here) went all remote after covid and I've been like that since. They realized computer touchers could just work at home and they could save a money not renewing building leases

I'm (hopefully) going to be switching jobs, but the new employer is in the most expensive county in the country, so I think there pretty used to remote. Also they have to pay me less than if I lived there so it seems like win/win

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Why can't they can't meet up in the Metaverse office instead?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sullat posted:

lol

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My last employer just subleased five floors of space they no longer need because the people who occupied them are permanently WFH now.

I’m 2 days a week in the office and the only reason I comply is it’s 20 min from my house/kids school. I have no traffic, I can come and go as I please, and all I need to do is swipe my badge twice a week.

Food is subsidized and coffee is free, I hate it but it is what it is.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

sullat posted:

The preferred use case for the metaverse is that you'll log into your Meta office from your physical office. That way both real and virtual commercial landlords get their taste

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Cyberpunk Dystopia, cheers mate

Underrated thread.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Weird thing to announce unprompted
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1635728505622200332?t=pmAkjww7Tl1OmLnEqC22og&s=19

Krugman has fallen
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1635715076500881417?t=ATKiheIRNm8S5hTIz_r2tQ&s=19

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/GavinSBaker/status/1635683191821414405?s=20

The WARN Act requires companies to notify state governments and affected individuals of plans to lay off 500 or more employees (and 50 or more employees when an employment site is shut down or when the number of layoffs make up at least one-third of the company’s workforce) at least 60 days in advance.

err has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Mar 14, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

our hypothesis is that online communication tools and social networks are pretty bad, actually, says purveyor of online communication tools and social networks

…this is actually the second social company to have their executive say social networks are garbage, after Musk trying to backtrack on insulting the disabled guy with the $100M severance contract.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here we go

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don’t think anybody knows how remote/in office is going to play out over the next few years because there are real cost savings to companies for remote employees because a VPN is a lot cheaper than office space so even if some companies demand people to be in the office it won’t be anywhere near universal.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I can tell you that people in the computer touching consulting industry will never go back to an office. we may not be unionized because of idiocy and greed, but we sure as poo poo have collectively decided it isn't happening.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Taima posted:

We got a 2017 GTI Sport (the best GTI package in history, imo, with every possible upgrade that mattered but kept the plaid seats) brand new with a DSG auto dual clutch and mechanical diff for $21k. Aint no one ever beating that again, those were incredible times to be buying a smaller car.

Goddamn that rules.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I don’t think anybody knows how remote/in office is going to play out over the next few years because there are real cost savings to companies for remote employees because a VPN is a lot cheaper than office space so even if some companies demand people to be in the office it won’t be anywhere near universal.

it is not about the money that can be saved but the control that is lost

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lol they had to do a lot of Photoshop to SBF's hideous golem face

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

The preferred use case for the metaverse is that you'll log into your Meta office from your physical office. That way both real and virtual commercial landlords get their taste

Sick, hosed up poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Lol they had to do a lot of Photoshop to SBF's hideous golem face

This counts as antisemitism due to the myth of the golem

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bedpan posted:

personally im just waiting to see what’s the next scapegoat after we’re all back in the office delivering on our dipshit executive leadership’s ideas and still bleeding sales and renewals

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

selec posted:

what’s the policy to do this look like? intent is impossible to prove, Americans are always freaked out about money

and would this policy cover true but unhappy news that could cause a run?

paradoxish is probably right, to try to stop it preventatively would make it worse.

probably the way to go would be to punish after the fact. And you’re right including intent would obviously make it toothless.

here’s an open question, will there be civil suits against say Thiel? from SVC shareholders that got wiped out.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

paradoxish is probably right, to try to stop it preventatively would make it worse.

probably the way to go would be to punish after the fact. And you’re right including intent would obviously make it toothless.

here’s an open question, will there be civil suits against say Thiel? from SVC shareholders that got wiped out.

what can they sue him for, having and sharing opinions?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Meant to type Gollum and accidentally did a slur, oops

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

You're just jealous they invented robots before the modern age.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bedpan posted:

Yeah and some companies are going to decide they value that control and others are going to decide that they value reduced operating expenses and a wider recruitment pool.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Terrible news for Web3 enthusiasts

https://twitter.com/nftnow/status/1635388411166224384?t=39n-n3shDjXHCRD1XhrnCg&s=19

The comments section is very special, always.

Also a phishing scam has cornered Twitter's ad feed, where half a dozen different rainbow rorschach blot avs are all advertising a something using videos from years old Kickstarters.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
woops

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/litcapital/status/1635713430530162702

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

selec posted:

what can they sue him for, having and sharing opinions?

I dunno. we are talking very rich people. resource unconstrained and with a not necessarily rational legal strategy is a possibility here.

I mean Thiel knows how that works.