Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God I wish I had the patience to go absolutely ham with a chisel like that.

But I'm not a bored high schooler getting stoned and playing the poo poo out of minecraft, any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arrath posted:

God I wish I had the patience to go absolutely ham with a chisel like that.

But I'm not a bored high schooler getting stoned and playing the poo poo out of minecraft, any more.

Those beams AREN'T chiselwork! thats why I'm so excited about it!

https://i.imgur.com/U0la2lu.mp4

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:stare: Oooooh poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arrath posted:

:stare: Oooooh poo poo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought I was done with this game but easy ploppable beams fix everything I hate about wood accenting buildings. Carving, tree trunks, and even plaster blocks always felt completely wrong when my cobb hovel just need some support.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m playing my first game past Day 1. I think it’s going well, but slow. I’m making pottery and charcoal, and have hermit-crabbed into a nice ruin that looks like an amphitheater. Only problem is a pack of fuckin wolves migrated into the neighborhood. There’s like fifteen of them now, just on the north side of my base.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

at least the wolves kinda howl to alert you that theyre around, ive died to a suprise bear attack like 3 times because they are apparently the quietest animals ever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wolves annoy me so much.

The whole armor tier system doesn't help. Maybe I suck (I absolutely do) at progressing, but the crappy t1 armor I can slap together is useless against those drat wolves. T2 armor like a gambeson is just out of reach, it usually takes me a few seasons to even get enough flax to make myself a set of bags.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do people play with temporal storms turned on? They're cool but I find the threat of them keeps me from wandering too far from my base cause I don't want to get caught out in one so I ended up turning them off but leaving temporal rifts enabled. I'm not sure if that means I'm missing out on anything though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get poo poo loads of gears etc. with a decently defensible base but overall you're probably best served by turning them off and using the console to turn them on if you're ever decked out and looking for tons of gears.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
the latest build of .18 works fine so far with a bunch of mods, no crashes or anything yet

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Popete posted:

Do people play with temporal storms turned on? They're cool but I find the threat of them keeps me from wandering too far from my base cause I don't want to get caught out in one so I ended up turning them off but leaving temporal rifts enabled. I'm not sure if that means I'm missing out on anything though.

honestly i have em turned on and they happen so infrequently its not really a problem. If your out being a nomad and one comes on, you can generally just wall yourself in a hole and wait it out.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I turn storms on but rifts off, because I've had to start over too many times due to accidentally settling next to one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rifts go away after a while though? As far as I know where they appear is completely random.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rifts come and go, which is the actual contentious part because if you don't follow the secret methods of preventing rifts (light level for sure, possibly something to do with room size but that might just be an input to the light level factor) they will spawn in your grand foyer and have drifters greeting you when you come back from a hard day in the tin mine.

There's also a local stability level drift so even beside the direct blood moon analog of a storm, there are temporally unstable days that almost guarantee you will have rift somewhere on your estate for certain sizes of estate.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The new patch is adding something to prevent rifts which might be neat!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like the idea of storms and the visual of the gears collapsing the sky is amazing but boy are they difficult to manage if you get unlucky.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The rifts and local stability and new effects like the gears and stuff are all neat ideas but they're all built on the bedrock of just spawning in tons of drifters, which are just about the most boring nuisance mob imaginable

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I kinda wish temporal storms kinda fudged with the age of things, maybe caused crops to grow faster, hides to tan faster, and clay to cook faster.

Maybe it could also Freeze things in time, maybe everything in a pot becomes frozen in time and now that food will keep forever. Maybe fighting the shamblers in the storm can help guarantee that it happens.

That could make them more than just ,"wait it out" and actually engage in it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That would be cool. Maybe have some kind of item drop or something you could use to time freeze a container?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That would be cool. Maybe have some kind of item drop or something you could use to time freeze a container?

Like a blue gear or something?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Drifters are just generally pretty boring. Combat in general is pretty boring, mostly because you can't really... engage with enemies. You can stand there and slug it out with them, try to stay slightly farther away from a slow enemy, or run away from wolves or bears, maybe pillar up and shoot them with arrows or throw spears at them. Can't do that last one with drifters because they'll ace you with rocks until you die.

Like if there was more of a tactical aspect of blocking/countering/dodging or some enemy variety or like they came in waves, or... something. Anything but "Outside is a million dudes who throw rocks and punch you for a ton of damage. Don't go outside."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I play with storms and rifts off so that overworld is dangerous due to wildlife and caves are dangerous due to drifters, which keeps drifters as fresh as they can be (for me).

As I play with sluice mods, temporal gears aren't a problem once I get metal shovels and enough exploring for stacks of bony soil to drop into the sluice. I also do some self-imposed milestones I have to pass before I can start adding traders via creative mode into my world, so rusted gears aren't a problem once I get to the point of selling excess materials.

...and then spending them all on tapestries. :negative: too real, game

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think that a sluice mod is definitely in the cards for the next time I get on. I hope that's something they think about adding in to the base game. I also really enjoyed the telporters mod, so I want to make sure to add that in when I start next time, because it won't spawn any teleporters in explored areas. The teleporters themselves are cool surface structures and they mean you can eventually get to the south with its different fauna and landforms without making that decision from Day 1 and having to do a two hour corpse run every time you die.

Honestly, one of the big issues I have with the new update is the idea that gear respawns break over time, because who asked for that? Is having to respawn at origin a cool and fun time for anyone?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vintage Story does seem to really respect its origins as a mod by doing the modder “9 amazing things that enrich the experience fully” to every “1 baffling bad decision no one likes because of perceived vision.” Vintage Story’s bad decisions seem to be about drifters/gears, but also certain things like armor sucking and sticks being impossible without a mod.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sticks are fine without mods if you know where to get them. it's up in trees, or if you find a forest, just laying on the ground. this is easier to deal with when you have shears obv but you can punch the branches all the same, and in fact should be doing that before you cut trees down anyway since I'm pretty sure all the attached leaf/branch blocks and whatnot count against your axe durability anyway

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I kinda feel like having to laboriously punch all the leaf blocks off of a tree is its own distinct bit of anti-fun design, tbh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I feel like I got enough sticks from matter of course in my charcoal grove or if not I could run the shears through the under canopy for some guaranteed extras. Not to mention punching my way through ground level leaves in forest explorations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah there's definitely something to be said about the process not being altogether great but it really shouldn't be long before you're swimming in more sticks than you know what to do with. Knocking the branches off a tree with your bare hands sucks but you really only have to do it once before you assemble the tools necessary to gather them much faster.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Either they fixed the stick issues in 1.18, or I've been extremely lucky. I live in a larch forest and I get so many sticks when I chop down a tree that I've been burning them for firewood.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arrath posted:

I kinda feel like having to laboriously punch all the leaf blocks off of a tree is its own distinct bit of anti-fun design, tbh.

The bar here is Minecraft, where trees are not so much felled as dismantled block-by-block while the remainder hovers in midair

you also really do not have to do that unless you've got some OCD compulsion to absolutely maximize resource extraction per block, you always need more sticks no matter how many you have but just foraging through the woods for twigs and mushrooms is plenty enough to get by and the main way I find bees and ores and stuff

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I do use mods for firewood -> sticks but that's just due to my very low tolerance for grind/busywork, especially at the start, later on once I get some shears going it's not a big deal. I usually end up shearing the lower branches from all nearby trees to make sure I can see around my base easily and that gives me enough sticks that I don't particularly need more. I wouldn't mind it if there were "crafted handles" for things to increase durability instead of using sticks, and there is a mod to replace the pit-kiln with something else that uses just firewood instead of also needing sticks and grass (though I haven't gotten that far yet). Offhand I can't think of much else you need actual sticks for.

Really there are two big things I find too tedious in the game. First is tool durability - I don't mind improvised tools having very low durability, but I feel like copper and higher tier tools should last much longer, like 10x. I've often just increased the tool durability via console commands so that they last much longer. I like having things gated behind advanced materials, but then having to bring multiple picks to bigger mines feels unnecessarily grindy. The second is finding ore - exploring is fun, but not when you're stopping every few map blocks to dig a hole to do some prospecting. I don't mind the operational steps of prospecting, just the need to do it so much, repeatedly. One mod that helps is the 'one-shot propick' mod so you don't need to take 3 samples but just one instead, but that's still not enough since you really need to do multiple surveys to find 'local peaks' of ore. I'd be happier if it took 3 samples, but then somehow you could get more informative output - like "there is no copper in the surrounding 5 map chunks" or "looks like there might be iron 4 map chunks/1km east". I don't need to survey a line of 5 map chunks to find the peak, just give me some more info up front. With that kind of system in place I'd be fine to reduce the frequency of ores but instead have bigger individual deposits - if I only had to survey one map chunk every 5-10 and still get useful output I'd be much more willing to just go exploring and surveying randomly and it wouldn't be such a tedious "survey, move to next chunk, survey, compare, move in some other direction, repeat".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Arven posted:

Either they fixed the stick issues in 1.18, or I've been extremely lucky. I live in a larch forest and I get so many sticks when I chop down a tree that I've been burning them for firewood.

They very well might have. I seem to recall one of the mods for sticks was just like "It looks like someone forgot to set stick_fall_down to true so we did that"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there an ETA on 1.18 stable release at this point? I'm more or less fiddling my thumbs over here before starting a new campaign.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I was gonna say it was pretty stable, but then my game just crashed because somewhere in the code Tyron has his linstall path local path hardcoded when rendering snow on cliffs

quote:

14.3.2023 22:06:06 [Error] Exception throwing during chunk Unpack() at chunkpos xz 7983/8006. Likely corrupted. Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Vintagestory.GameContent.WeatherSimulationSnowAccum.GetSnowUpdate(WeatherSimulationRegion simregion, IServerMapChunk mc, Vec2i chunkPos, IWorldChunk[] chunksCol) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VSEssentials\Systems\Weather\WeatherSimulationSnowAccum.cs

lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ugh, i died a lost all my stuff
I am a notorious horder and i had all my good stuff on me

So thats it, im turning off losing inventory on death.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Arven posted:

I was gonna say it was pretty stable, but then my game just crashed because somewhere in the code Tyron has his linstall path local path hardcoded when rendering snow on cliffs

lol

Nah, that's normal. Microsoft compiler stuff is infamous for leaking developer paths.

The concerning part is that it's compiled locally instead of by a build system.

Here's a string I found in discord_game_sdk.dll:

C:\Users\VssAdministrator\.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\backtrace-0.3.37\src\backtrace\dbghelp.rs

Here's one I found in EngineWin64s.dll shipped with Hades: C:\Fraps\Movies\ (:thunk:)

e: Slime Rancher 2 devs, uh: "C:\Users\Administrator\workspace\SR2 Build RC Steam\Library\Bee\artifacts\WinPlayerBuildProgram\y2vqe\GameAssembly.pdb"

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

1.18 rc.1 just got released.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think our group is waiting for a stable 1.18 release to get the group and server running again, but I thought I'd give it a go on single player.

However, I can't seem to create a new world, since it always just hangs on "time to rest" and loading and doesn't go past that. Error logs have all kinds of references to C:/Users/Tyron (which I assume is the dev install path)

Any ideas?

e: re-install clean and removal of mods seemed to do the trick.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You'd have to actually post the exception from the logs.