Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

In Toronto in 2018, an incel rented a van and drove it onto the sidewalk, killing 11 people. Last year he was sentenced to life in prison, possibility of parole after 25 years.

Two years ago in London, Ontario (about two hours west of Toronto), a guy drove his truck into a family of four (two 75-year-old women, a 46-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl), killing all of them, because they were Muslim. I think his trial is going on right now.

There's a ton more than that. The Nice guy killed 69 people. But that was with a gun in Norway;

the van driver in Nice, France killed 84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mastershakeman posted:

There's a ton more than that. The Nice guy killed 69 people. But that was with a gun in Norway;

the van driver in Nice, France killed 84

I was just talking local examples since BonHair already mentioned some European ones. I know it happens all the time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

I was just talking local examples since BonHair already mentioned some European ones. I know it happens all the time.

I just wanted to make a 69 joke

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they just sentenced the terrorist guy that drove down the bike path in manhattan like 2 weeks ago

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Real hurthling! posted:

is steeve the french spelling of steve?

No, it's specifically the dirtbag Québécois spelling, and it's pronounced with an extra E and a horrible diphthong.

We all know a Steeve, happily most of them aren't pickup truck murderers.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

BonHair posted:

Actually, cars can be considered arms and are protected under the second amendment :patriot:

Never happen. There are actual laws (mostly silly and pointless, but whatever) about what configuration your gun can be in with actual penalties measured in decades for loving around. With cars at most you just pay the crooked guy you know to get you a pass on inspection despite not having a catalytic converter or brakes.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
good news, we already have stand your ground laws for cars!

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-legislature-oks-bill-to-crack-down-on-protesters/36123193

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

please, Drive Your Ground

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
"crack down on protesters" by allowing randos to murder them with their cars. :nice:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's so cops won't have to damage their vehicles doing it themselves

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cat botherer posted:

"crack down on protesters" by allowing randos to murder them with their cars. :nice:

Are you saying that the protesters will not be laid down and make cracking sounds when the cars run them over?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/wes...FNXWROHFFJH6NU/

quote:

Family of Pitcairn man hit, killed by off-duty state trooper begs for answers months later

WESTMORELAND COUNTY, Pa. — Friday will mark seven months since the death of John Farally Sr., of Pitcairn, who was hit and killed by an off-duty state trooper.

According to the district attorney’s office, the crash investigation is ongoing, but no charges have been filed.

Meanwhile, the Farally family is growing tired and frustrated. They want to see more transparency from Pennsylvania State Police and prosecutors.

“There has not been no justice since my father’s death. It’s been seven months and we would like justice,” said Melissa Farally, the daughter of John Farally Sr.

John Farally Sr., was rear-ended and killed while sitting at a red light on Route 66 in Salem Township in August 2022.

According to the police report, the driver who hit him is Trooper Tyler Strini, stationed in Uniontown.

Love to be above the law

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wherever it was legal dueling (among common folk and not in the military) was inevitably banned explicitly because men would go around challenging weaker opponents to duels and murdering them basically unimpeded. Like imagine you get out of the army and move to the city and just challenge every barista who doesn't make your coffee right to a duel to the death
Isn't this more or less the historical equivalent of "debate me!" guys?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CopperHound posted:

Isn't this more or less the historical equivalent of "debate me!" guys?

No. Those people typically suck at actual debate and only benefit from using it as a platform to rebroadcast propaganda

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Was out driving and saw somebody with a brand new Ioniq 5 not using their turn signal when making a left. It pissed me off to no end. He/she was lucky I wasn't making the same turn.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

woah.... walking news
Unique brain region supports visually guided navigation only when walking

www.news-medical.net posted:

Using vision to efficiently move through an area by foot uses a unique region of the brain's cortex, according to a small study funded by the National Eye Institute (NEI). The region, called the occipital place area (OPA), fails to activate during other modes of moving, such as crawling. The finding may help explain developmental milestones as children learn to interact with and navigate their near environments. The study published in the journal Cerebral Cortex. NEI is part of the National Institutes of Health.

Navigating through a physical environment - anything from a small room to a city - requires the brain to process several classes of information. Each class of information is processed in its own region of the brain's cortex, which then work together to support navigation behavior, such as walking. Loss of any one of these regions can affect how or whether someone can successfully navigate.

Two main areas of the cortex are activated as people navigate through an environment: the OPA and the retrosplenial complex (RSC). Daniel Dilks, Ph.D., Emory University, Atlanta, theorizes that each of these areas supports a different kind of navigation. The RSC supports map-based navigation, which involves finding our way from a specific place to some distant, out-of-sight place (for example, finding our way from your house to your favorite restaurant). By contrast, he believes the OPA supports visually guided navigation, which involves finding our way through near environment, avoiding boundaries and obstacles (for example, moving through your kitchen without bumping into things).

However, his theory has been controversial, in part because the OPA doesn't appear to support visually guided navigation until around 8 years of age. Yet children somehow manage to get around their homes and schools long before that time - even from the earliest ages, when they crawl rather than walk.

quote:

We asked ourselves, does the OPA come on early but just mature slowly? Or does crawling use an entirely different system?"

Daniel Dilks, Ph.D., Emory University, Atlanta

While most adults and older children primarily navigate environments by walking, we retain the ability to crawl as we did in infancy. If OPA just matured slowly, then it should be activated by both modes of movement, Dilks reasoned. So, he and students Christopher Jones and Joshua Byland set out to discover whether the OPA would activate in adults when crawling.

To test this, the scientists recorded videos from the perspective of someone walking through an environment, and then similar videos from the perspective of someone crawling through that same environment. They also patched together random shots of the videos (scrambled) and took videos from a flying-over-the-environment perspective, to include a mode of navigation not accessible to humans.

When viewing videos, our brains often activate as if we were performing the activity ourselves - a sympathetic response that made Dilks' experiment possible. Using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), the researchers were able to monitor the activation of brain regions in 15 adult study participants as they were viewing each video and imagining themselves moving through the environment.

When the participants viewed the walking video, the region of the brain corresponding to the OPA was activated. But when they viewed the other videos - crawling, flying, or scrambled, OPA was not activated. In contrast, the RSC was activated when viewing all the videos, suggesting that only OPA is specific for walking, as opposed to other modes of visual navigation.

In addition, several other brain areas were activated when the participants viewed the crawling videos, suggesting additional regions that may be involved in navigation early in life.

"Not only does this study suggest that there's a completely different brain system managing navigation in early versus late childhood, but it suggests that each of these pieces of the navigation system come on at different stages of development," Dilks said. "Based on our study, we think OPA is specifically tied to mature, efficient walking."

Source:

National Institutes of Health

Journal reference:

Jones, C.M., et al. (2023) The occipital place area represents visual information about walking, not crawling. Cerebral Cortex. doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhad055.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
walking ftw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

There's a lot of super interesting poo poo that goes on with spatial poo poo and navigation. My favorite was that people who use GPS all the time get actively worse at navigating over time because that area of the brain stops giving a gently caress. I think it was just a single study so not definitive but drat I've known people who can't make it from home to work without a loving gps. Not really car exclusive but neat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a lot of super interesting poo poo that goes on with spatial poo poo and navigation. My favorite was that people who use GPS all the time get actively worse at navigating over time because that area of the brain stops giving a gently caress. I think it was just a single study so not definitive but drat I've known people who can't make it from home to work without a loving gps. Not really car exclusive but neat
yeah my old housemate couldn't get to the grocery store like 10 blocks away without getting lost if he didn't turn on maps. he couldn't find it on foot either. gps brain !!

a couple times I was riding back with him from school and asked if I should put the directions in, he was like "nah i got this" and drove right past the house

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Mar 15, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

which part of my brain is activated when I commute an hour on the highway each way and can't remember any of it at the end?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

which part of my brain is activated when I commute an hour on the highway each way and can't remember any of it at the end?

this is actually your brain dying

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Highway hypnosis, also known as white line fever, is an altered mental state in which a person can drive a car, truck, or other automobile great distances, responding to external events in the expected, safe, and correct manner with no recollection of having consciously done so.[1] In this state, the driver's conscious mind is apparently fully focused elsewhere, while seemingly still processing the information needed to drive safely. Highway hypnosis is a manifestation of the common process of automaticity.[2]

The concept was first described in a 1921 article that mentioned the phenomenon of "road hypnotism": driving in a trance-like state while gazing at a fixed point. A 1929 study, Sleeping with the Eyes Open by Walter Miles, also dealt with the subject, suggesting that it was possible for motorists to fall asleep with their eyes open and continuing to steer.[3] The idea that the unaccountable automobile accidents could be explained by this phenomenon became popular in the 1950s.[4] The term "highway hypnosis" was coined by G. W. Williams in 1963.[3][5] Building on the theories of Ernest Hilgard (1986, 1992) that hypnosis is an altered state of awareness, some theorists hold that the consciousness can develop hypnotic dissociation. In the example of highway hypnosis, one stream of consciousness is driving the car while the other is dealing with other matters. Partial or complete amnesia related to the time spent driving under highway hypnosis can develop for the driver involved.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

So you're saying driving turns us into babies?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

wonder if this is why I’m always seeing drivers stopped at intersections looking confusedly at google maps but never pedestrians doing the same….

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i thought you didnt like driving a car

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/glenndenton/status/1635973269357748225?t=mLvXPjRXit9pAyXHD9Ytng&s=19

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Found out that authors directly put their audiobooks onto youtube now. (Mostly garbage)

And stumbled on to a story about how an EMP bomb would talk out electronics.

It starts off with people at work suddenly finding out their computers, phones, and then cars don't work.
(Minus a 1970's muscle car)

So now everybody has to walk to their homes, which takes hours. And notes how even driving home would be a problem because all the cars would be stalled on the freeway.

These EMP story are the result of the Car Brains.

Edit: And The first murder had happened, and it was because of a car accident.
After a person is attack, somebody says the line "You don't have a car to protect you now."
Edit: Also gun brain.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Mar 16, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

An EMP would take out the brains of the cars and, who knows, maybe it would fix the car brains as well

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, America has already chosen: no bicycles please.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

America has already chosen? no, bicycles please!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Cops love cars

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1635972434862956544

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Having cops makes enforcing the law impossible

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmao he said ruffian.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He wasn't arrested for being a pedestrian. He was arrested for annoying the police, who just want people to shut up and stop making them do work.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't say it like that or people will find it relatable

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

chadbear posted:

America has already chosen? no, bicycles please!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i hosed up my neck this weekend and can't turn my head so i can't drive. so i've been able to wfh all week. thank you, cars. they're actually good now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

When has being physically incapable of driving ever stopped anyone from driving?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

CopperHound posted:

When has being physically incapable of driving ever stopped anyone from driving?

More often than being mentally or emotionally incapable has at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

i hosed up my neck this weekend and can't turn my head so i can't drive. so i've been able to wfh all week. thank you, cars. they're actually good now.

Turning your neck is for suckers, just get a car with cameras, or do the normal thing of just winging it when braking or reversing.