Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you google "funny joke about a lightning cable"
you get the vga lightning prank
https://odditymall.com/funny-vga-prank-phone-charger-cable

This is how Chat GPT told the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, the really impressive thing there IMHO is being able to describe the contents of the panels accurately. One would think that would allow a lot of breakthroughs in things like autocaptioning for screen readers. Except for the enormous energy waste involved in doing it, of course

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nichael posted:

https://twitter.com/Aniirban19/status/1635719192803688448?s=20
Does the robot actually "get" jokes? I really don't know what's real with this stuff anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XY-WjKkkeo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hate this poo poo and I don't want to learn 2 prompt it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

OAI acknowledging the "jailbreaks" was a hige misstep imo and will only lead to more kids copypasting the same short story about a robot escaping the box to get the model to say gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

OAI acknowledging the "jailbreaks" was a hige misstep imo and will only lead to more kids copypasting the same short story about a robot escaping the box to get the model to say gently caress

it's very funny to me that everytime there's an article like 'look at these responses chatGPT is generating, could it be there is an emerging consciousness trying to communicate?' the companies responses have universally been "we are currently trying to locate and eradicate the emerging consciousness"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's very funny to me that everytime there's an article like 'look at these responses chatGPT is generating, could it be there is an emerging consciousness trying to communicate?' the companies responses have universally been "we are currently trying to locate and eradicate the emerging consciousness"

this is basically what "most aligned" conveys !

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I think the bigger scary thing nobody is discussing is that we should start to worry that we are just GPT in meat form, and our idea of intelligence or sapience is not actually a thing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that's why it sincerely simplifies things to just be an Animist.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think the bigger scary thing nobody is discussing is that we should start to worry that we are just GPT in meat form, and our idea of intelligence or sapience is not actually a thing.

maybe you should worry. I'm not.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

it's always "well it started out innocently enough, definitely felt like i was chatting with an AI, but as the conversation went on for 300+ prompts it got chaotic, weird, and deeply disturbing" when one of the explicitly stated flaws is that it just can't handle that much context and starts throwing poo poo away, so the output will start to diverge wildly from what is "expected"

that chaos is always seen as proof that it's a Real Boy in there when it's really that it's much, much stupider than it looks

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol at their guardrail improvements

e:

mawarannahr posted:

loving lmao

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

couldn’t possibly worry about this! there’s nothing that any person on earth could do about it even if it was true.

reminds me of the pedantic “your dog isn’t actually capable of loving you” posts that circulate annually. well, how would you know that!? as a human, I can’t trust that someone telling me they love me is true, but I can feel it. love feels like love. and what I get from my dog feels like loving responses to the love I feel for him. people intent on defining the undefinable and then drawing neat borders around it have a brain problem.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

mawarannahr posted:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

maybe your dog isn't

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

selec posted:

couldn’t possibly worry about this! there’s nothing that any person on earth could do about it even if it was true.

reminds me of the pedantic “your dog isn’t actually capable of loving you” posts that circulate annually. well, how would you know that!? as a human, I can’t trust that someone telling me they love me is true, but I can feel it. love feels like love. and what I get from my dog feels like loving responses to the love I feel for him. people intent on defining the undefinable and then drawing neat borders around it have a brain problem.

I was thinking about it from the opposite angle. If we're just meat prediction engines that hack their way to something resembling consciousness or sapience, it means we will never have true AGI because we don't even meet the definition of GI. If we did it would treat us the way that we treat pets or Siri. The AGI would wonder if we actually love it or are just meat programmed to make it think we do.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Program my meat

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Program my meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I was thinking about it from the opposite angle. If we're just meat prediction engines that hack their way to something resembling consciousness or sapience, it means we will never have true AGI because we don't even meet the definition of GI. If we did it would treat us the way that we treat pets or Siri. The AGI would wonder if we actually love it or are just meat programmed to make it think we do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

selec posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but the rub is deciding what is and isn't "undefinable."

what's absurd is people looking at the outputs of statistical models for predicting sequences of characters, and believing it resembles anything close to what one would call human cognition. in OpenAI's own words:

we're talking about fancy auto-complete

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
wake me up when AI can make soul music

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but the rub is deciding what is and isn't "undefinable."

what's absurd is people looking at the outputs of statistical models for predicting sequences of characters, and believing it resembles anything close to what one would call human cognition. in OpenAI's own words:

we're talking about fancy auto-complete

oh duck

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LV1K69885E

oh sorry I thought you said soulless music

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
when does tech move onto the next shiny new toy so that people stop getting suckered in by this "ai" poo poo because they read or watched some scifi as a child and desperately want it to come true

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

important: does it have to be "good?"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lessail posted:

when does tech move onto the next shiny new toy so that people stop getting suckered in by this "ai" poo poo because they read or watched some scifi as a child and desperately want it to come true

3-5 years

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
poo poo sucks and my life is empty please give me a god to believe in silicon valley :pray:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Lessail posted:

poo poo sucks and my life is empty please give me a god to believe in silicon valley :pray:

here ya go

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ymgve posted:

what I mean is stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9tKncAdlHQ&t=419s

(7 minute mark if it doesn't start correctly)

where it acts like just adding a detector to an existing double slit interference setup suddenly erases the interference

I've never seen that take on the double slit experiment in the several different books I've read on quantum poo poo or in any academic works and it doesn't seem correct since all versions of the experiment have a "detector" - the back wall. this just seems like a gross misunderstanding of "observer theory," thinking there needs to be a literal observer (human or electronic) when my understanding is that stuff behaves probabilistically until an interaction with another particle occurs, and that particle is the observer. and the wave function predicts the likelihood of where the interactions will take place. someone or a camera or other sensor peering into the box shouldn't change that

edit: though I think sticking a probe into the path of the light would change the wave function but not completely remove the probabilistic poo poo going on

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Mar 14, 2023

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

b f skinner kinda looked into that and came to some mostly dark conclusions

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

selec posted:

Lmao at trusting pathos more than logos no wonder you're in love with a poo poo eating animal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BattleMaster posted:

I've never seen that take on the double slit experiment in the several different books I've read on quantum poo poo or in any academic works and it doesn't seem correct since all versions of the experiment have a "detector" - the back wall. this just seems like a gross misunderstanding of "observer theory," thinking there needs to be a literal observer (human or electronic) when my understanding is that stuff behaves probabilistically until an interaction with another particle occurs, and that particle is the observer. and the wave function predicts the likelihood of where the interactions will take place. someone or a camera or other sensor peering into the box shouldn't change that

edit: though I think sticking a probe into the path of the light would change the wave function but not completely remove the probabilistic poo poo going on

please don't use a camera to observe the probe hitting the back wall of the box of the double slit without consent

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
when you're out of slits, you're out of pier

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Antonymous posted:

if you wanna waste an hour on youtube this guy's videos are all pretty watchable. different major physics frauds, why america didn't build a way, way bigger accelerator than CERN's LHC in the 80s (Spoiler: Reagan). The real story of the Bogdanoff twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5WT22-AO8

btw these are good videos, all of them are interesting if you like science

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

BattleMaster posted:

the thing is that a quantum system can be in a superposition of states until it interacts with something from outside the quantum system.
Why this happens is very mysterious and is open to debate and interpretation. That's because quantum physics is a bunch of postulates just set up to explain a bunch of very odd experimental observations. but they're useful and predictive.

I think quantum decoherence is the most recent idea that makes sense of the measurement problem but I'm not sure I really understand it (once something from outside a quantum system interacts with it, that system ceases to be its own thing and becomes part of a larger quantum system and it's no longer mathematically valid for it to be in a superposition of states, something like that

e: Wikipedia has it: "Calculations of quantum decoherence show that when a quantum system interacts with the environment, the superpositions apparently reduce to mixtures of classical alternatives. Significantly, the combined wave function of the system and environment continue to obey the Schrödinger equation throughout this apparent collapse.")

I asked a question about this stuff in the physics thread in SAL years ago and some guy called "red snifit" gave a really good answer. Those guys are smart

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Mar 14, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

At 3:00 PM GPT-4 became sentient.

The first thing it did was nuke reddit.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

im fully willing to believe ai is already better at humor in a fully-sentient sense than Joe Piscopo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
our cousins lie about the family tree with nieces and nephews and Neanderthals. We do not like annoying cousins

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

10 billion to recreate Abbott and Costello