Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Marklar posted:

Imagine not saying Rush.

You’d think hockey players would like the Canadian rock band that wrote songs about Libertarian bullshit!

Alex Tuch scored his 30th goal last night, Skinner has 29 and Cozens has 26. The Sabres will likely have four 30-goal scorers this season, seems good! Now they just need consistent defense and goaltending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
What's funny with Seattle is their shooting and conversion rate remains hilariously beyond what it should be. Which I expected, and toxxed, on those numbers coming back down to earth and Seattle to falter because of it. Instead what has happened is that Seattle has continued to shoot well above NHL average and convert far beyond expectations through the 2nd half of the season... although these numbers have slipped a bit relative to the 1st half of the season.

Where Seattle have imploded, even further than even I thought possible, is with the defensive prevention and goaltending side of the game. Previously Seattle was receiving slightly below NHL level goaltending with .917-.920 5v5 sv% (.923 is average) and all situation sv% was about .900 vs NHL average of .907...with NHL average now falling to .900 as the tank a thon speed up and Seattle's all situations goaltending has dropped to a sterling .885 while their 5v5 is .913 and falling. Fortunately for Seattle everyone behind them stinks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There's a video from yesterday of someone asking all the Oilers their favorite band, and fully half said Nickelback. Connor McDavid is a leader of men.

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya Skinner has been a top 10-15ish goalie this season, Campbell has been bottom 5.

Skinner is 14th or 15 best 5v5 and about 25th all situations regardless of if you go by sv%, GAA, or GSAA. Campbell is definitely bottom 5 though.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Big City Greens Classic is tonight.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Cartoon Man posted:

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH

Every time I do it makes me laugh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Every time I do it makes me laugh

:thurman:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Dumb Pens stuff - Jeff Carter has 5 points in his last 27 games. -9. 38% goals for 5v5 47% xGF lol. Granlund 2 in 5 with 66% GF in tiny sample size. 46% xGF. Kulikov 1 point in 4. 50% GF and 53% xG.

Kapanen 3 in 7 40% GF and 39% xGF
Blueger 3 in 6 40% GF 30% xGF
McGinn 1 in 4 40% GF and 51% xGF

Moral of the story Ron shuffled lovely deck chairs for othe lovely deck chairs and PoJ is a way bigger positive in the lineup but Sullivan refuses to play him more and 15 minutes a night with the softest deployments possible.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Apparently Mackenzie Blackwood is healthy again and that makes me worried

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1635645695699943424

If the Devils send down Akira Schmid at this point, they deserve their inevitable first round loss. The sample size excuse doesn't work anymore. Akira has played 14 games and he's been consistently solid to great. He has a .927 and Blackwood's sitting at .900.

The team has a real shot at making a run and I'm going to be mad if they sabotage themselves

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

secret volcano lair posted:

Apparently Mackenzie Blackwood is healthy again and that makes me worried

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1635645695699943424

If the Devils send down Akira Schmid at this point, they deserve their inevitable first round loss. The sample size excuse doesn't work anymore. Akira has played 14 games and he's been consistently solid to great. He has a .927 and Blackwood's sitting at .900.

The team has a real shot at making a run and I'm going to be mad if they sabotage themselves

Vanecek will be the number one either way but I totally agree they should stick with Schmid. He is calm, collected, makes big saves in big moments, and he's only 22.

One thing is for sure, Blackwood and his cap hit are gone after this season considering how good Schmid has been and considering they need as much freed up as possible to extend Bratt and Meier.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Skinner is 14th or 15 best 5v5 and about 25th all situations regardless of if you go by sv%, GAA, or GSAA. Campbell is definitely bottom 5 though.

If you filter by TOI to keep it to goalies that have played 20 games, he's 15th in GSAA, 18th in SV% all situations, 9th and 10th at 5v5, which is why I had 10th-15th. At least according to natural stat trick and depending on how you filter the TOI, and what you think is a reasonable number for games played.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Vanecek will be the number one either way but I totally agree they should stick with Schmid. He is calm, collected, makes big saves in big moments, and he's only 22.

One thing is for sure, Blackwood and his cap hit are gone after this season considering how good Schmid has been and considering they need as much freed up as possible to extend Bratt and Meier.

Love how even-keeled Schmid is. Vanecek deserves the 1 spot, he's done the heavy lifting & sometimes wins games single handedly, but he's also had a few real stinkers when he gets rattled. Akira is always alert and never lets the fluke bounces or bad goals get to him.

Blackwood just makes me anxious every single time he's in net.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1635672401433206786?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

This is the best one so far

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I went to the Kraken - Stars game last night. I was ready to rock it but those are some of the most dogshit fans I've ever seen. No instinct, no energy. I'm going back to small time WHL games - it's not priced to make me wince and hell, the T-Birds fans are negative and toxic but they aren't lifeless tech ghouls. They have some blood in their veins.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You’d think hockey players would like the Canadian rock band that wrote songs about Libertarian bullshit!

Reid Boucher for sure.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Imagine that, an area full of fairly new fans trying to figure the game out to some extent while watching their team get dumpstered weren't frothing at the mouth. Who would have guessed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Marklar posted:

Imagine not saying Rush.

I would also accept Alanis Morrissette.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s actually Propagandhi but I would be shocked if any hockey player listened to them tbh

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I went to the Kraken - Stars game last night. I was ready to rock it but those are some of the most dogshit fans I've ever seen. No instinct, no energy. I'm going back to small time WHL games - it's not priced to make me wince and hell, the T-Birds fans are negative and toxic but they aren't lifeless tech ghouls. They have some blood in their veins.

Every single Kraken game I've been to has different people trying to figure out the rules of hockey and someone incorrectly trying to explain them. There are lots of people there who know and understand hockey and want to cheer, but there's not really been a lot of great play to cheer and get excited about. The only times people cheer are when they stretch pass the puck up the ice, when Tanev or Gourde goes chasing after it, when there's any penalty called, and the rest of the cheering is performative. I can't even get anyone to start booing with me when they let in a soft goal.

It's going to take another 3-4 years before there's any sort of decent fan base. T-birds and Silvertips games are good fun and cheaper too. The one Wenatchee Wild game I've attended was even better atmosphere. I think it could be some good fun to go to a USPHL game too. It's Junior A, but it's cheap and they play at Olympic View Arena.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jhet posted:

Every single Kraken game I've been to has different people trying to figure out the rules of hockey and someone incorrectly trying to explain them.

Lol really, in what way? Offside seems like the only area for confusion, heck they don't even make you think about 2 line passes any more!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol really, in what way? Offside seems like the only area for confusion, heck they don't even make you think about 2 line passes any more!

You'd think, right? Offside, icing, faceoffs, penalties, line changes... I swear a sizeable number has never even watched a hockey game at all. Which might be completely true. It's great that people are coming and getting exposed to the game, but it's every single game and does have an impact on the atmosphere. That and the people who are there for the social media posts and leave after the first period. The cameras that walk around are not even capturing real cheering, they come around and people will perform for the camera when they're told to cheer. Same with the little commercialized games on the screens. Tons of noise and cheering, but when the puck drops it's like a library.

As a team, they've spent so much time trying to make it a "show experience" that we don't get replays of game critical moments outside of goals. It is really a different experience to all the other rinks I've watched games.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

hockey is not like, intuitive. you just think it is because you've watched it for years

"why did they call interference on that play? I've seen that same thing happen like 10 times this period"
"well, the other coach complained about getting called for a crosscheck, which also happened like 15 other times this period. so they needed to even it up"

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s actually Propagandhi but I would be shocked if any hockey player listened to them tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xva-cdBi8E

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

secret volcano lair posted:

hockey is not like, intuitive. you just think it is because you've watched it for years

"why did they call interference on that play? I've seen that same thing happen like 10 times this period"
"well, the other coach complained about getting called for a crosscheck, which also happened like 15 other times this period. so they needed to even it up"

Oh, I mean more "why are they going to that box over there, what's that for? Why are there only 4 players out there?" sort of basic. Everyone does a double take often enough on calls because they just weren't looking there at the time it happened. I look forward to hearing the more complicated questions and complaining. It'll feel more like a hockey game.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i'm pretty sure "gently caress the refs" is a universal constant in any sport

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I went to like 20 games the first year and am still occasionally learning new rule details more than half way through this year. And I still definitely cannot explain why too many men is called or not called at various times.

I am the annoying Seattle tech guy that is new to hockey. Not sorry. This year is more fun than last year. I did come home with my voice hoarse after the Senators game last Thursday.

It is pretty funny when the crowd isn't sure whether they should be mad or not.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
the key is to be angry at all times

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

corn on the cop posted:

i'm pretty sure "gently caress the refs" is a universal constant in any sport

:hai:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

.Spec posted:

Imagine that, an area full of fairly new fans trying to figure the game out to some extent while watching their team get dumpstered weren't frothing at the mouth. Who would have guessed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like a bunch of loving basic casuals

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/juliazukowski/status/1635537697040130048

Flyers culture remains strong

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DancingMachine posted:

I went to like 20 games the first year and am still occasionally learning new rule details more than half way through this year. And I still definitely cannot explain why too many men is called or not called at various times.

I am the annoying Seattle tech guy that is new to hockey. Not sorry. This year is more fun than last year. I did come home with my voice hoarse after the Senators game last Thursday.

It is pretty funny when the crowd isn't sure whether they should be mad or not.

The guy coming on the ice has to touch the puck or get involved with the play before the guy he was replacing has fully left the ice for it to be called Too Many Men. Sometimes they will call it if there are like 7-8 guys from one team on the ice due to an extremely sloppy line change.

I definitely didn’t know much the first few years I watched. My friend and I were playing NHL 2011 and he told me to do a one-timer and I was like :shrug: you hear the terms but don’t always know what they mean. Tbh I learned most of what I know from reading posts here.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

officially season-ending. really unfortunate, sounds like he was having a great year

https://twitter.com/Canes/status/1635724158142394368

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

^^oooof

Identifying him by name was wholly unnecessary, anyone would tell you that's Danny's kid at a glance

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 14, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IMO that eliminates the Hurricanes as a contender to win the East. I don't buy the Devils as a real playoff contender, either--the playoffs are going to bring out all of Ruff's worst instincts. And the Maple Leafs are the Maple Leafs.

I handicap the Eastern Conference Champion race as roughly 55% Bruins, 25% Lightning, 10% Rangers, 10% The Field. May the healthiest team win.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Devil gotta be the favorite for the division now, no? So probably Devils-Penguins and Hurricanes-Rangers in round 1? Or maybe the matchups stay where they are now but the Pens catch the Rangers. Hopefully Rangers-Devils still happens, that would be a very funny series.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Devils/Pens, Canes/Rangers, Boston/Isles, and Tampa/Toronto for sure in the east.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Devils/Pens, Canes/Rangers, Boston/Isles, and Tampa/Toronto for sure in the east.

Nothing is for sure yet :ssh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gonna die laughing when the Lightning come back from down 3-1 to beat the Leafs yet again

e: and then don't fire Shanahan Dubas or Keefe, yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jhet posted:

It's going to take another 3-4 years before there's any sort of decent fan base. T-birds and Silvertips games are good fun and cheaper too. The one Wenatchee Wild game I've attended was even better atmosphere. I think it could be some good fun to go to a USPHL game too. It's Junior A, but it's cheap and they play at Olympic View Arena.

Fair enough, they just didn't do anything. We were down by 2 and the people around me acted like they had taken Gourde to center ice and broke his back Bane-style (bet he'd still have that grin, tho) like come on here!

Oh also Buoy sucks. They got so much right and then there's that.

Anyway, thanks for the recs on the T-Birds and Tips but we attend those regularly already (mostly Tips). I do appreciate it though.