Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oh my god, this comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG collecting valuable data on how nobody can login to the game. This is just part of development!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah but it’s all worth it for the exciting gameplay that PES is bringing to the verse.

It’s one step closer to my space janitor dream job.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see we've now reached Half Life 2 levels of technology in Star Citizen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BleakFriendlyBrownbear-mobile.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

yeah he ate a regular ban for that and then a perma for posting the linkedin page of a reddit guy who pissed him off by constantly claiming he worked for a major software company and bragging about how he helped mod some game or another lol

Please, *that* Kazan's achievements (specially with the beautiful ladies whose heaving bosoms are as heavy as thanksgiving turkeys) deserve more praise.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Paaaarp up that can.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I miss when citizens like Vertisce would drop in here and go on victory laps when CIG managed to dribble out some tiny update to the game.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Manky posted:

Oh my god, this comment

Star Citizen is actually not happening lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

I miss when citizens like Vertisce would drop in here and go on victory laps when CIG managed to dribble out some tiny update to the game.

Well, it's been a while, I'm sure him (and maybe MoMA) will come to dunk on us when Pyro is finished. Any day now.

The kickstarter for Star Citizen was around a year after Dark Souls came out. DS2, Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring have been released in the the time that it has taken CIG not to release a second star system for their 100 star system game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Which basically means that George R. R. Martin finished writing a story in the time SC has been in development.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

trucutru posted:

The kickstarter for Star Citizen was around a year after Dark Souls came out. DS2, Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring have been released in the the time that it has taken CIG not to release a second star system for their 100 star system game.

"Ehuh, I think you'll find that Star Citizen will be a perfect, life-defining game unlike those glitchfilled messes. They're just so... barebones, why, I hear you cannot even work as a janitor cleaning up refuse if that is what you wish to do. Just wait until Star Citizen is released, then you'll be GRATEFUL that we lordly ship captains even deigned to allow you to work as an indentured servant on board our ships. Why, this newest alpha is just a sterling example of just how arduous a task it is polishing this game to perfection."

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

JugbandDude posted:

I believe they can create a bunch of lifeless boring rocks, but they can't just plug them on the PU.

It's the same reason they can't release Pyro: they lack the technology to change server instances, something that was disovered 15 years ago but lost when the vanduuls raided the Blizzard servers.

Now, we wait for Server Meshing to save us, when CIG will finally figure out their basic network architecture and never ending content will be unleashed on us.

This is it exactly.

CIG can barely make one small, incomplete solar system kinda-sorta sometimes run in their CryEngine mod, and on some level I think they all know they're never going to get Chris's magical server meshing. Maybe there are people currently assigned to create more solar systems even though they have no idea how to get it into their game (because after all, the company is run by an absolute fool who shot hundreds of hours of mocap before figuring out what kind of mocap he'd actually need to shoot and how to integrate it), but if they're paying even the slightest bit of attention, they know all they have to do is mock up some screenshots of things that Chris can demand changes to. There's no point actually making any of it until a decision is made about how moving from system to system will actually work, and apparently that decision's just not going to be made.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Call me an optimistic, but I used to believe the game performed much better in their LANs. This would explain stuff like non-miserable devs: they actually see things working, even if it's just in their controlled dev environment.

But then we watch the groundbreaking feature of "save my game on a database" implode like this. Really makes me wonder if they have any integration testing done at all.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

trucutru posted:

Which basically means that George R. R. Martin finished writing a story in the time SC has been in development.

lmao

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Beet Wagon posted:

yeah he ate a regular ban for that and then a perma for posting the linkedin page of a reddit guy who pissed him off by constantly claiming he worked for a major software company and bragging about how he helped mod some game or another lol
Wow, hadn't heard that second part, jesus.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that's him in the wheelchair
that's him in the spot light
losing his religion

[new intrusive thought unlocked]

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I, personally, can't wait to just throw my trash in the hallways and then yell at the janitors to do their jobs. I mean, why would I put something in the trash can when picking up trash is literally what makes them happy.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Not to mention creating jobs in the process

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Assuming most of you are nerds, how many of your gaming friends know anything about star citizen?

My group spans 20s to 40s and I'm the only loon whose been following this thing... everyone has heard of it and most everyone has forgotten about it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't actually talk about Star Citizen outside of this thread, it's too embarrassing to discuss in real life.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

DOMDOM posted:

Assuming most of you are nerds, how many of your gaming friends know anything about star citizen?

My group spans 20s to 40s and I'm the only loon whose been following this thing... everyone has heard of it and most everyone has forgotten about it.

My brother mentioned it ‘sounded cool’ so I listed off every hosed up thing I remembered then sent him the Forbes article. He laughed, didn’t want to hear my hilarious star citizen stories too much, and I’m sure won’t play it.

A friend of mine has a group of non-IRL friends he plays games with. My friend is in his 30’s, single, and games more than anyone else we know. Unfortunately the few times I’ve played with his non-IRL gaming buddies they’ve been incredibly racist, sexist douchebag losers. They’re also all into Star Citizen. My buddy wanted me to join him for a free fly, I told him it’s terrible so gently caress no, he reported back it’s one of the worst games he’s ever played.

Those are my stories.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

DOMDOM posted:

My friend group will dunk on it occasionally in TeamSpeak but that's about it

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

DOMDOM posted:

I’ve had surprisingly few encounters with Citizens out in the wild, considering I work in a field full of PC gaming nerds. My old boss in the Army was a low-key Citizen, he was kind of embarrassed to admit it, and just liked to say that he “supported it” and “if they could achieve what they promised it would be an amazing game”. But he would get super defensive if you pressed him and started making fun of the game, so I could tell he was in for a decent amount of money.

But that was 3 years ago now. Since then I’ll hear it mentioned once in a while, mostly someone will ask if it’s still going on, and they’re floored when I tell that that it’s still raking in money 11 years in and is approaching 600 million dollars in funding. I think I’m the only person in my friend/acquaintance circle who follows it with any regularity.

Star Citizen has become this weird self-segregated corner of gaming where a bunch of generally awful and tedious game dads have gathered to get milked for ever more money by a coke-addled moron.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 14, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DOMDOM posted:

my friend who got real into NFTs begged our friend group to buy SC so we can play with him. I tried to talk him out of it, but he got real defensive about it

i eventually bought it cause he doesnt play many games and i was happy to see him enthusiastic about one. I knew what I was getting into but no one else did and they got mad lol

Seriously though, this game is a massive piece of poo poo, its kinda incredible

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

colonelwest posted:

Yeah but it’s all worth it for the exciting gameplay that PES is bringing to the verse.

It’s one step closer to my space janitor dream job.

How many cans can you put in the bin before you get a segfault and crash the server?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Why are people so shocked that an alpha doesn't work when they make a bunch of changes? I get that this game is a meme but shouldn't this be expected?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

hello internet posted:

Why are people so shocked that an alpha doesn't work when they make a bunch of changes? I get that this game is a meme but shouldn't this be expected?

In a vacuum, sure.

The past twelve years of SC stuff tho adds a lot to it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also cause CIG pushed this out at like 5:00PM on Friday in a completely broken state and then all went home for the weekend. This patch is a year late from it's original expected release.

It's also just the cumalative effect that this happens every single time the release an update and it's totally broken.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

hello internet posted:

Nothing works in the game after 11 years, even during normal times. And this patch is their “big” content update for an entire year, when they were supposed to have quarterly releases of at least this size. It should have come out in early 2022. Plus any reasonable person knew that trying to add object persistence into an already broken MMO with mounds of technical debt was just going to break things even more, while adding almost no gameplay value, and that’s exactly what happened.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DOMDOM posted:

I recall there was some interest early on. I was interested myself around and some time after the KS.

Now I don't remember when I've heard anyone mention SC outside of this thread. And when it has it's been a joke about bad kickstarters or development hell.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

hello internet posted:

They are selling new 1600 dollar spaceship packages. You can buy them and get access to the game immediately. It is, for all intents and purposes, a live game. This entire "we'll sell you a product but it's a piece of poo poo so we'll call it an alpha so we're safe from criticism lol" is just nonsense. Game companies need to stop trying to have their cake and eat it too on this.

edit: You know what, here's a better argument. They are running ads and marketing to get people to buy into this alpha. I'm sorry, that's not an alpha. That's a live game.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I bring SC up to my friends, who are generally 20/30-somethings, to gripe about it because I made the mistake of trying 3.16 (I think), discovering that it actually did have the bones of fun flight and on-foot combat and a fun core loop.... and then seeing that present development efforts are largely going towards RP-focused nonsense because gently caress ever releasing the game or leaning into what makes the game fun I guess.

Should I be mad? No. Am I? Yep.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You enjoyed the flight model? Genuinely asking because it's essentially a 3d model viewer with no actual physics. Ships can float upside down 20 feet off the ground.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Cutedge posted:

edit: You know what, here's a better argument. They are running ads and marketing to get people to buy into this alpha. I'm sorry, that's not an alpha. That's a live game.

Also also, in a number of legal tiffs with citizers, CInoG has claimed it's a released game, as in a functioning game as a service, and no you can't have your money back. They also lie, often.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Popete posted:

You enjoyed the flight model? Genuinely asking because it's essentially a 3d model viewer with no actual physics. Ships can float upside down 20 feet off the ground.

I moreso meant the spaceflight combat. I genuinely think it kicks the poo poo out of Elite Dangerous's combat, and yes I realize that's a low bar.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok, I think I remember the space flight being serviceable enough although I've heard the AI is really bad. If I remember the one time I tried space combat I found it really confusing to know what was going on because the UI was a mess and it was overlaying the target as you tried to shoot it.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Decon posted:

I moreso meant the spaceflight combat. I genuinely think it kicks the poo poo out of Elite Dangerous's combat, and yes I realize that's a low bar.

We welcome bad opinions here, except those that oppose basic human rights. Please expand on your bad opinions for the entertainment of the thread.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DOMDOM posted:

I've had two people mention it, one in a "I was looking at Star Citizen and it looks cool?" way and the other with a direct "Hey, what's the deal with Star Citizen?" And that's since the project got kickstarted; real-world engagement and awareness of this game is roughly on par with its online engagement, from what I can see.

Anyway, what I've found is that after giving them a ten-second thumbnail description of Star Citizen (it's spent over ten years and half a billion dollars and only produced a broken pre-alpha, it promises things it clearly cannot deliver anytime soon and probably can never deliver, it has a groundbreakingly awful monetization scheme, and yet somehow people are still sending money to them) I just can't bring myself to inflict more information onto them. Anyone who tangentially hears about Star Citizen deserves a clear and timely warning about it, but no one deserves the terrible awareness of Star Citizen that this thread has provided. Between the LA office and its space doors, the Mess Hall saga, the space worm, the AI, server meshing, etc...it's just too much to dump on someone else all at once, and honestly too much for me to think about all at once, too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cutedge posted:

They are selling new 1600 dollar spaceship packages. You can buy them and get access to the game immediately. It is, for all intents and purposes, a live game. This entire "we'll sell you a product but it's a piece of poo poo so we'll call it an alpha so we're safe from criticism lol" is just nonsense. Game companies need to stop trying to have their cake and eat it too on this.

Also, alphas are essentially feature complete (for some definition of complete) and INTERNAL tests.

An alpha test of a game is not what SC is in any way shape or form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Experimental Skin posted:

We welcome bad opinions here, except those that oppose basic human rights. Please expand on your bad opinions for the entertainment of the thread.

Blacking out from turning too hard is a kinda neat bit of realism.

The AI straight up doesn't work though so there's little to actually do.