Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ok Comboomer posted:

special car

I wish they’d make a whole bunch of them but they’ll prolly wind up much rarer than the Type R

Toyota said they're making about 5,100 per year while Honda makes only 3,500 Type-Rs a year.

Funny enough, I went to the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and Toyota had 2 GR Corollas (and a manual Supra) open for attendees to get inside and everything. While Honda only had a single FL5 Type-R that was completely cordoned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Toyota said they're making about 5,100 per year while Honda makes only 3,500 Type-Rs a year.

Funny enough, I went to the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and Toyota had 2 GR Corollas (and a manual Supra) open for attendees to get inside and everything. While Honda only had a single FL5 Type-R that was completely cordoned off.

Is that 5,100 globally or for the US market?

Aren’t there something like ~6,000 Fiesta STs in the US?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s about on track with Fiesta STs. Ford never put out the numbers but said they only made roughly 5,000 per year. Considering the run only went from 2014-2019, roughly 30,000 Fiesta STs made it to our shores via the long boat ride from Mexico.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Considering the run only went from 2014-2019, roughly 30,000 Fiesta STs made it to our shores via the long boat ride from Mexico.

I'm pretty sure this number is way too high. 30k units in the US and I'd be seeing them a lot more frequently

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Think about how many got crashed, overtuned and blew their motors, or any number of things.

I’ve always thought it seemed high too. I have a 2019, and there is just no way they sold 5k of these in the last model year for a chassis that’s 7 years old

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I always heard about 3k/year for the FiST

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I didn’t realize FiSTs were so uncommon. I knew the FoST was much more prevalent, but 18-30k seems like a low number for the Fiesta. Must be at least part of the reason why they’re still so much more expensive than the Focus.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I didn’t realize FiSTs were so uncommon. I knew the FoST was much more prevalent, but 18-30k seems like a low number for the Fiesta. Must be at least part of the reason why they’re still so much more expensive than the Focus.

are they? I haven't looked since I bought mine in the summer of 2021 (:smithicide:), but I low-key want to get a second one before it becomes completely infeasible or impossible to do so. It's kind of a problem if they start big-time appreciating.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm pretty sure this number is way too high. 30k units in the US and I'd be seeing them a lot more frequently
Edit: lol I am a moron and confused FiST with FoST

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

are they? I haven't looked since I bought mine in the summer of 2021 (:smithicide:), but I low-key want to get a second one before it becomes completely infeasible or impossible to do so. It's kind of a problem if they start big-time appreciating.

Yeah I see quality FoST’s around for sub-$10k all day long, and a nice FiST is still $15k+.

Hell there’s a dealer local to me selling a green ‘15 for like $20k! Insane! Especially since that dealer is normally very reasonable on prices.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Warbird posted:

Whelp, Burd Jr the second is on the way and I increasingly can't justify keeping the GTI around. I hate the thought of getting rid of it especially after putting the tune in but them's the breaks. Anyone got a sedan/crossover that would have a similar driving profile? Maybe an EV?

Car seat will fit in the back of the GTI eaaaaasy, forward or rear facing. Keep it!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
In one month I shall finally have this car.

It was leaking coolant at the dealership of a friend in Japan who then asked the dealership where it was bought about it. That dealership replaced the radiator so now that's something I don't have to deal with. I knew it was going to be a sooner rather than later thing because in the original pictures the plastic tank up top was browning as Toyota's of this era always do.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those are the raddest cloth seats.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It is with a heavy heart I must admit to myself I am leaving the hot hatch world. I love this car, its been my companion since I bought it new in January 2019 thinking I'd run it into the ground. It's taken me across the country several times, driven for me in traffic jams, made me look like a grown-up to the uninitiated, entertained me on backroad jaunts, took me up to Mt Hood all ski season, and has asked nothing in return beyond 87 octane, synthetic oil changes, and a drivers lumbar cushion that was covered by the warranty. I own this thing free and clear, it's been simple to own and wonderful to live with - easily the most hassle-free and relaxing ownership experience I've ever had. I've been agonizing about this for months and am still pretty sure I'll regret selling it even though it is the financially prudent and smart thing to do.

So much has changed since I bought this car. I no longer commute to an office. I've taken up skiing and sometimes there just isn't enough ground clearance on the really snowy days (yes, I run dedicated snow tires). I bought a high mileage Q5 from a friend's dad, intending it to be a mountain beater, but I've found myself enjoying the Q5's soft and quiet ride and not enjoying the cost of keeping two cars that fulfill the role of "daily driver".

I'll miss you when you're gone, Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Technology Package. I hope the next owner appreciates you as much as I do.

The most ironic thing about all of this is that one of the motivations for buying the Hyundai was avoiding VAG products, and four years later here I am getting rid of it for a VAG crossover. Only difference now is that I also have a 2021 Miata RF that can be my everyday runabout, so maybe this isn't such a sad thing after all.

its a shame this vehicle wasnt a big seller for them, it honestly looks great. far better looking than the mazda 3 has been for about a decade or so now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

In one month I shall finally have this car.

Yeah I miss the fabrics of that era. Also the plush carpet mats that Japanese market cars always seemed to come with.

I so wanted a GTT back in the day, but they were too expensive for me so I had to settle for the cheaper Nissan equivalent.

I'd have kept it for longer if it didn't have the worlds worst four speed auto.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
New Integra back end looks much better in person

front is Acura-boring

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Been on the waiting list for the GR Corolla for over a year now. I'm next in line at 2 dealerships. Finally had one call me to let me know that they got 4 allocations.

Not a single one has the performance pack. Who the hell even buys this car without an LSD?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Been on the waiting list for the GR Corolla for over a year now. I'm next in line at 2 dealerships. Finally had one call me to let me know that they got 4 allocations.

Not a single one has the performance pack. Who the hell even buys this car without an LSD?

do not buy it without the LSD

it’s like the entire point of the car, wtf why even sell it without it? :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The people buying it to impress instagram followers

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It's only $1,180. You would think they would just make it standard for the car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

It's only $1,180. You would think they would just make it standard for the car.

Toyota, for all of their engineering prowess and market success, is not a company that makes good decisions all of the time or even a lot of the time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
But I don’t know poo poo and ppl will almost certainly line up to buy the car without the party piece anyway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
buy an aftermarket one

cusco prices:

especially if you found a dealer selling one without markup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

buy an aftermarket one

especially if you found a dealer selling one without markup

can you just do that? the factory differential has a whole control panel that lets you set bias and whatnot

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

can you just do that? the factory differential has a whole control panel that lets you set bias and whatnot

Bias is set with clutch pack (like audi ttrs system)

Yaris dudes have been adding in only rear lsd with good results

I believe the non PP corolla do use brakes for an e-lsd effect like the focus rs (I could be hella wrong on this)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

thats the front/rear distribution. a limited slip differential limits wheelspin under loss of traction from left/right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

thats the front/rear distribution. a limited slip differential limits wheelspin under loss of traction from left/right

fair enough

my point is that the central selling point of the car is gone and it doesn’t appear that there’s a 1-1 replacement in the aftermarket for people who want to go the base model route

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

fair enough

my point is that the central selling point of the car is gone and it doesn’t appear that there’s a 1-1 replacement in the aftermarket for people who want to go the base model route

There is, you just need to buy 2 lsd and install them.

The $1k price is a steal and should just be standard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh yeah i didnt realize it was two torsen diffs for 1200 bucks, yeah that's a deal

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The Cusco diff comes with a new diff cover that increases fluid capacity and has been known to decrease the rear drive unit overheating issue frequency on track driven gr yarises. No direct experience with it though, my gr has lsds. It was the only must have option for me.

Which btw, I've been driving some more and it's still awesome. A kid in a fist pulled up next to me today and was incredibly stoked to see the GR.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

a dealer selling one without markup

lmao

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

It’s possible.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've been driving some more and it's still awesome. A kid in a fist pulled up next to me today and was incredibly stoked to see the GR.

Same, the few people to recognize it have been hyped.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
chuckanut drive?

i hadnt been up that road for a few years and finally took my brz up there a couple weeks ago, still a great experience

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You nailed it, a couple of turn offs before Taylor’s shellfish.

Whatcom has a lot of nice cruising.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

lol, chuckanut was one of the first places I took my gti when I bought it ~6 years ago. Love that road. Go do some fun curvey driving and stop by the longhorn/Edison for some snacks is a great day out

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.carmax.com/car/23698815

Wow, my EGTS didn’t last long!

I really hope the next owner appreciates the Michelins and severe duty cycle maintenance I did. Never thought I’d sell it this soon so I took great care of it. Shame they grease up the interior, de-tinted it, and put on that CarMax sticker.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone else interested in the upcoming Integra Type S? 320hp/310lb-ft torque and only comes in a 6 speed manual. I'm just worried it'll be over $50k which I'm not willing to stretch to for an Acura.

https://jalopnik.com/2024-acura-integra-type-s-horsepower-torque-manual-1850240980

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone else interested in the upcoming Integra Type S? 320hp/310lb-ft torque and only comes in a 6 speed manual. I'm just worried it'll be over $50k which I'm not willing to stretch to for an Acura.

https://jalopnik.com/2024-acura-integra-type-s-horsepower-torque-manual-1850240980

the Type R is indisputably cooler, and I agree with SavageGeese saying that it’ll probably end up being rarer than the Type S. Given the choice, Type R every time, in blue.

Type S looks too generic “Acura”, especially from the front, but that’s really it’s greatest strength in some regards. If the Type R is too “boy racer” or “midlife crisis” for your or your spouse’s tastes then the Type S is a perfectly cromulent middle-aged middle manager’s somewhat-luxury car that will blend in nicely in the company parking lot but packs a secret manual surprise.

I wonder if it will end up being notably more comfortable as the Type R and how the interior materials will hold up vs the Honda. I’ve harped on this before, but the new Integra really feels like the “grand tourer” version of the performance Civic, which I like.

People might hate this but I think Acura really should’ve upped the luxury and comfort+sportiness angle, especially given the price gap between the Integra and Civic Si/R. Really stress that this is the premium luxe version of the Si/R experience rather than just doing the minimum, which is what they’ve actually done.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So this is the thread to convince me which hatchback to buy? Sweet. I’m in the market for a new (used) car and this time I want a manual, dammit. Never had one and I want the engagement. I know *how* to drive manual but have had very limited exposure and want to get good at it.

Current front runners are a FoST ST3, or a mazda3 with premium package. For the FoST, what are the things to look at? Known weak points, etc.

Anything with a Cobb accessport still installed is definitely right off the list, that just screams hooned to an inch of its life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
GTI