Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

what happened with fuchsia? i'm assuming google saw how great having 3-4 incompatible chat apps was and wanted to do the same thing with OSes but i guess writing an OS is a trivial problem for googlers so they made a 5th chat app instead

iirc they very sensibly got hit hard by the layoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
fuchsia turned blue and died

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

one person above the designer who made them, presumably.

maybe that designer themselves. idk. the googlers i know, despite the popular image, are not actually all that good at what they do
stuff like that generally has a lot of Super Important people needed to sign off* like branding/marketing and probably a program manager if google has those. and I agree, I have met a lot of exceptionally untalented designers who work at google. that said this design is so basic and fundamentally wrong it's likely not a problem of the individual contributors or even design management

*note this is not a sign off like in actual project work, any stakeholder can and will change their opinion at any time after that, it's just the point where updates become increasingly expensive

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

google needs to take a cue from apple and let the marketing team design the app icons

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plank Walker posted:

what happened with fuchsia? i'm assuming google saw how great having 3-4 incompatible chat apps was and wanted to do the same thing with OSes but i guess writing an OS is a trivial problem for googlers so they made a 5th chat app instead

fuchsia is not a viable product and never will be. it’s a comedy OS made of pure wankery. the fact that it hasn’t gotten canned yet is astounding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, how would we tell if it had been canned?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

lol exactly. i have no idea if it is or not, but it's about as relevant as HURD

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

iirc they very sensibly got hit hard by the layoffs.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/big-layoffs-at-googles-fuchsia-os-call-the-projects-future-into-question/

Yeah, apparently they lost like 15% of the workforce, from a team of apparently 400 people.

The article also quotes a departing executive that says that aspects of fuchsia might just get integrated into Linux, which will be its legacy. It feels like the kind of blue sky experimentation that would have otherwise been done at universities in prior decades (or bell labs).

I can see how it would be useful to do that kind of experimentation on something completely new, rather than trying to bolt it onto Linux which already has a rapid development cycle. Or maybe it's used as more of a recruitment tool than anything else. Or a make-work program.

Still, if Google doesn't have a real clear idea of how it distinguishes itself from existing OSes, it will always have the specter of the google graveyard hanging over it. As someone from the outside looking in, I would have canned it long ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, tbh there are absolutely os experiments id be excited for; angling for static verifiability and high-level code while remaining reasonably practical. but nothing ive heard about fuchsia suggests it is anything but yet another hybrid kernel trying to correct only irrelevant mistakes (all x should be a y handle!)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

someone will write a hagiography of fuchsia and how it was going to be revolutionary but google pulled the plug too early

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
should call their next chat app google blue because they blue a decade on a dozen apps that still don’t work

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tesh posted:

Last night my wife’s Android phone went insane and started rebooting itself and calling 911 repeatedly, I don’t know if that was part of the upcoming A.I. takeover or what but we’re ready to slam dunk it in the trash and make the switch to iPhone.

Let me know what you’ve got - I bought my iPhone from a kind goon previously and would like to do it again. I’m not looking to spend a fortune so I don’t necessarily need the latest and greatest.
lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

that owns

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Management posted:

tell your recruiter that this specific interviewer was interviewing you for the wrong thing, where you had no experience.

Meh it was a couple years ago now

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

i am not inclined to check post history to know if this is was a joke or sarcastic, and im not up on whatever comedic culture sa-mart might have, but i lol'd at the replies

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have a Nord N10 I would be willing to let go cheap. Locked to Tmobile, but if you need it unlocked I probably do that at some point before sending it out.

Voltage posted:

"Yeah i'm looking for an unlocked iphone because my old crappy android phone went haywire"

"I have just the thing, an old off brand carrier locked android phone!"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

Meh it was a couple years ago now

I had the same thing happen to me with google but it was like 18 years ago.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Never work for a company that is so dumb they indiscriminately lay off 12,000 employees with no thought about performance, seniority, contributions, or anything else.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i'm rather certain they thought about it. this makes things worse, not better

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Never work for a company that is so dumb they indiscriminately lay off 12,000 employees with no thought about performance, seniority, contributions, or anything else.

I do kind of wonder if the former colleague that went to work for Google and who (as far as I can tell/remember) did nothing except churn out confluence pages about using agile and create hundreds of jiras is still there seeing as that was right jnt their insane hiring phase.

otoh seeing as they were a pm doing no work I assume they survived the cuts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we noticed you were taking a picture of a blur that looks kind of like the moon so we “enhanced” it with a high res picture of the moon. our camera is amazing.

https://twitter.com/halidecamera/status/1634646600311267328

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for the life of me i cannot figure out why anyone cares whether their phone can take pictures of the moon.

the moon never changes and it always looks the same to everyone on earth, and superzooms are for amateurs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

too lazy to calculate the location and time of day and orientation of the camera smdh

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Management posted:

we noticed you were taking a picture of a blur that looks kind of like the moon so we “enhanced” it with a high res picture of the moon. our camera is amazing.

I thought this was going to be the case based on the TV ads.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Management posted:

They’ve had a “moon detection” feature for a while but I guess I naively assumed it was doing some settings optimization against a simple known target, not completely faking the shot.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
isn't that kind of old news? i don't remember where i saw it, maybe it was in the photo thread, but i remember reading about that months ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ya I tried it out w my phone in whatever thread we discussed it in earlier and it doesn't just paste a moon it moonifies the image with some AI fitting or w/e. I did the thing where you take a pic of a fake moon with something drawn on it and my drawing was there in the final "replaced" image :shrug:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, maybe consider that it's not the moon at all, but an AI driven replacement of the moon, which capitalism dictates is more profitable to Samsung than the ancient limitations of your human abilities to capture the actual moon's wonder and spectacle

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hayao Miyazaki posted:

anime AI was a mistake

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theyre basically the same thing now anyway

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
they got MKBHD to do a fawning video over it, right? retractions never get any views so the job is done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

ya I tried it out w my phone in whatever thread we discussed it in earlier and it doesn't just paste a moon it moonifies the image with some AI fitting or w/e. I did the thing where you take a pic of a fake moon with something drawn on it and my drawing was there in the final "replaced" image :shrug:

yeah it's not just a pasted-on image. it's using ~ai~ to selectively "enhance" the image to look more like the moon, similar to how you can train any other neural network to identify features and perform transformations on those areas. like a snapchat filter that finds your eyes and blows them up huge anime-style. this "finds the moon and makes it look more moon-like."

except because this is the moon, which always looks exactly the same, the transformation simply amounts to "overlay this image of the moon in multiply mode on that white blurry circle." yes, it's true that the neural network doesn't contain an image of the moon. what it contains is instructions on how to draw a picture of the moon. apply it to any white circle and it will create a faithful rendition of the moon's craters and seas.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
first, take a photograph of the moon, then draw the rest of the moon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

apply it to any white circle

thats no moon

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

"overlay this image of the moon in multiply mode on that white blurry circle."
*takes picture* ah poo poo, i got moon⋅moon

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Moon god photo?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MZNEXrElw

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol scroogled again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That one really got me in Solidworks. Turns out you can't name a variable "thickness" because that word is reserved, I think by the sheet metal module. There is no error message explaining this. It just says "unable to resolve equation" or something and fails.

As far as I can tell this is not documented anywhere on Earth. I only figured it out through a process of elimination.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
did you start calling it "thiccness" as a workaround

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Making fun of Access is low-hanging fruit but you can't have a column called "Name".