Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's the etiquette on riding after or in the rain? If a trail is marked all-season or "wet weather friendly" on Trailforks is it fair game? Obviously if its a mud pit I'll turn around and go home.

I've got this shiny new bike and all I've done is taken it for a lap around the neighborhood, I'm itching to get it on a real trail. Unfortunately where I live the rain forecast for any given day this time of year is: Yes.

Depends on the region and soil.

Where I'm at in the PNW, rain is fine, but freeze/thaw is a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

Depends on the region and soil.

Where I'm at in the PNW, rain is fine, but freeze/thaw is a no-go.

That's where I'm at too. Sounds like I'm good to go.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That's where I'm at too. Sounds like I'm good to go.

It's more about making sure you ride down the center of the trail and don't veer off to avoid puddles, this does a lot of damage to the trail and upsets all the people working on it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hey all, looking for buying advice.

*snip*

going with a rockhoper comp.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 12, 2023

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol some loving horse Karens kramered into the big regional MTB Facebook group to tell us that we have no right to put up well marked easily spotted barriers to keep their horses off of the trails they constantly gently caress up and cover with horse poo poo, because they're 'unsanctioned' and therefore horse trails.

They already have acres of horse only areas and kilometers of horse only trails in that park.

It went pretty much how you'd expect.

gently caress horse people.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress horse people.
LOL. Around here the unstoppable bike lobbies (a bunch of nerds that includes lawyers) terrorized the horse folks into never setting foot on the MTB trails. I've no idea how and and this point I'm afraid to ask.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Horses are just the loving worst. I rode on a multi-use trail at least 16 feet wide, and some old whiny horse rider said I should dismount and walk by her poor widdle Patches.

If your stupid animal can't survive the sight of a person slowly going the other direction on a wide dirt road, maybe keep it in your stable?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They have tons of wide rear end trails for their horses but they still insist on going down loving single track like assholes.

The post got deleted after I just repeatedly told them they need to pick up their horse poo poo. Of course they pulled the 'its just horse poo poo whats the big deal!?!' line that they repeat over and over like somehow it's going to make not horse people OK with there being poo poo all over the trail.

Now there's a more 'productive' Q&A. Lets see what happens when I say that horse riders need to deal with their horse poo poo on the trail the same way dog owners are supposed to deal with their dog poo poo on the trail.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It’s mostly grass!

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I have this recurring fantasy of throwing it at them just to see their reaction.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

They have tons of wide rear end trails for their horses but they still insist on going down loving single track like assholes.

The post got deleted after I just repeatedly told them they need to pick up their horse poo poo. Of course they pulled the 'its just horse poo poo whats the big deal!?!' line that they repeat over and over like somehow it's going to make not horse people OK with there being poo poo all over the trail.

Now there's a more 'productive' Q&A. Lets see what happens when I say that horse riders need to deal with their horse poo poo on the trail the same way dog owners are supposed to deal with their dog poo poo on the trail.

Make it a point to go pinch your morning loaf right at the entrance to the horse trails on your days off. It's biodegradable, what's the big deal?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

n8r posted:

It’s mostly grass!

Mostly doing some heavy lifting there.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Horses are just the loving worst. I rode on a multi-use trail at least 16 feet wide, and some old whiny horse rider said I should dismount and walk by her poor widdle Patches.

If your stupid animal can't survive the sight of a person slowly going the other direction on a wide dirt road, maybe keep it in your stable?

Fast moving metal things making weird noises can spook the animal and endanger the rider and you. It is not an unreasonable expectation that you stop and talk (so the horse hears a human voice and has context) while they either pass or move the animal so you can pass.

Every trail in my area is multi use hikers/bikers/horseback, and bikes are expected to yield to the others because of our speed. There are a few exceptions but we generally have a great relationship with our big furry friends. Having a friendly conversation goes a long way.

The worst is the dog owners who refuse to use leashes or control their animals. Ive narrowly avoided a few crashes from dogs bolting unseen out of the woods for scritches. Horseback riders at least mostly understand that they need to be vigilant.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 12, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

Fast moving metal things making weird noises can spook the animal and endanger the rider and you. It is not an unreasonable expectation that you stop and talk (so the horse hears a human voice and has context) while they either pass or move the animal so you can pass.

Every trail in my area is multi use hikers/bikers/horseback, and bikes are expected to yield to the others because of our speed. There are a few exceptions but we generally have a great relationship with our big furry friends. Having a friendly conversation goes a long way.

The worst is the dog owners who refuse to use leashes or control their animals. Ive narrowly avoided a few crashes from dogs bolting unseen out of the woods for scritches. Horseback riders at least mostly understand that they need to be vigilant.

On the other hand, if, as a horse owner, you taking your horse down a (possibly crowded?) MUP means that you're imposing an expectation on every cyclist that rides by stop, dismount, and walk, maybe you should ride elsewhere.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
They're not imposing anything, you are accepting the realities of etiquette on a MUP by using it, regardless of your chosen mode of forward movement.

No one has a monopoly on diskhead behavior. I refuse to make it worse. I want to be a good ambassador for the sport. I don't ride to be in a hurry, I don't care about my segment times or my watts, I will always stop for horses and be friendly.

If you want to risk getting kicked by a 2000+ lb animal, getting someone else hurt, too, and give local govt legitimate reason to close more trails in your area to bikes, for the sake of saving 35 seconds on your Strava time, go for it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I mean sure but gently caress em. Ever since we caught horse people trimming branches and tossing them on the trail they can go to hell. There should be zero hike/bike trails that allow horses. They just gently caress them up and poo poo everywhere.

That said i always get off my bike. Except the last time I saw a horse at a full gallop and then the horse took off the trail.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Lets see what happens when I say that horse riders need to deal with their horse poo poo on the trail the same way dog owners are supposed to deal with their dog poo poo on the trail.
The solution to both of those is the same. Yeet the animal poo poo at their necks.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I slow waaaaay down and usually stop when I encounter horses on the trail, that's the price I pay for the privilege of getting to complain on the internet later about the rich and entitled assholes riding them. I'll be polite in person and a hater from behind the keyboard.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's only one horse/mtb trail I know of in the area. The trail sucks compared to the rest so I just don't ride it. But yeah, the one time I rode it I stopped for horsies and they were courteous and appreciative.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

They're not imposing anything, you are accepting the realities of etiquette on a MUP by using it, regardless of your chosen mode of forward movement.

No one has a monopoly on diskhead behavior. I refuse to make it worse. I want to be a good ambassador for the sport. I don't ride to be in a hurry, I don't care about my segment times or my watts, I will always stop for horses and be friendly.

If you want to risk getting kicked by a 2000+ lb animal, getting someone else hurt, too, and give local govt legitimate reason to close more trails in your area to bikes, for the sake of saving 35 seconds on your Strava time, go for it.

Choose a different word than imposing then, I suppose: the fact is that if they're out there, and everyone is following this etiquette, that's not a trivial inconvenience for other MUP users.

I didn't say I wouldn't stop for horses and be friendly, either; I'm generally friendly and nice to anyone I encounter on the trail whether they're being considerate themselves or not.

I'm perfectly capable of being friendly and courteous to someone (and will do so), even if I think their behavior is selfish and inconsiderate. And choosing to ride your horse on a multi-use path and expecting every other trail user to stop for you is, in my opinion, inconsiderate.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

afflictionwisp posted:

Where in my post did I say fast? I was climbing up the fire road at a slow pace.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
At least one trail every year gets post holed by horses around here.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

For us it's grazing cattle. The drat things sometimes really mess up trails on Basalt Mountain or in Prince Creek. And the stench, ugh.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The solution to this is to just ride steep poo poo all the time :black101:

I did an enduro race on the weekend and the conditions were absolutely horiffic. Just pure mud and slop for the whole race. I made it round and finished which I class as a win since a fair few people DNFed.

Also got a cool picture out of it so it was all worth it in the end.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^ That looks simultaneously fun and not fun. Grats on the finish!

Mini review: I finally did something I was dreading. I'm building a new bike this spring and decided to wrap it and the fork to protect it for when I inevitably fall over. I got the tailored kits from ridewrap for my frame and fork and the fit is pretty good, 98% I'd say. They start you on some of the hardest areas which is stupid IMO, I'd rather get a better feel for it before having to deal with large contours. And it's really a crap shoot where parts meet up because if you put one piece on a few mm out of position then it will overlap with the next piece and so on. They recommend just putting the two on at the same time to help with that but there's too drat many pieces and dependencies to make that easy for a first timer like me. I didn't get it on perfectly and it looks good from a couple feet away which is fine. Minor trimming with scissors on some of the overlaps I mentioned because gently caress taking it back off to try and get it all perfect again. Same for a few tiny bubbles I gave up on caring about. All in all this took probably 5-8 hours to do all of it. Most was spent early on with the seat and chainstays trying to figure out wtf I was doing. It did get easier as I got further and the fork (last thing I did) was super simple in comparison. Overall I'm not sure I'd do it again and wear the scratches with pride, but maybe that'll change once my bike is not scratched up immediately.

Also the "matte" finish really isn't very matte. My frame has a satin finish, or well, it used to. :v:

in progress shot to see bare frame vs. wrapped area

Finished!

Wheels are still in process (manufacturer is waiting on the hubs) but I can assemble most everything else now. I'm most worried about shortening brake lines next and may have a shop do it if I can't get the right tools to do it cheaply. I bought some kit that has the lines pre-bled (it was cheaper this way, more than anything) and filled which is dumb in hindsight because I'm gonna have to remove the ends to feed the lines through the frame.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 14, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Shimano or SRAM brakes?

Shimano isn't too bad and honestly can't really gently caress it up if you're somewhat careful. Pounding the barb in can be annoying and if you have a crows foot adapter for your torque wrench then you can at least assume you're torquing the nut down properly to deform the olive, but I've just yolo'd and guessed and it worked out fine.

I assume SRAM is similar or easier as they have some fancier barbs and poo poo I think

Bike looks like it's gonna be hot

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

^ That looks simultaneously fun and not fun. Grats on the finish!

Mini review: I finally did something I was dreading. I'm building a new bike this spring and decided to wrap it and the fork to protect it for when I inevitably fall over. I got the tailored kits from ridewrap for my frame and fork and the fit is pretty good, 98% I'd say. They start you on some of the hardest areas which is stupid IMO, I'd rather get a better feel for it before having to deal with large contours. And it's really a crap shoot where parts meet up because if you put one piece on a few mm out of position then it will overlap with the next piece and so on. They recommend just putting the two on at the same time to help with that but there's too drat many pieces and dependencies to make that easy for a first timer like me. I didn't get it on perfectly and it looks good from a couple feet away which is fine. Minor trimming with scissors on some of the overlaps I mentioned because gently caress taking it back off to try and get it all perfect again. Same for a few tiny bubbles I gave up on caring about. All in all this took probably 5-8 hours to do all of it. Most was spent early on with the seat and chainstays trying to figure out wtf I was doing. It did get easier as I got further and the fork (last thing I did) was super simple in comparison. Overall I'm not sure I'd do it again and wear the scratches with pride, but maybe that'll change once my bike is not scratched up immediately.

Also the "matte" finish really isn't very matte. My frame has a satin finish, or well, it used to. :v:

in progress shot to see bare frame vs. wrapped area

Finished!

Wheels are still in process (manufacturer is waiting on the hubs) but I can assemble most everything else now. I'm most worried about shortening brake lines next and may have a shop do it if I can't get the right tools to do it cheaply. I bought some kit that has the lines pre-bled (it was cheaper this way, more than anything) and filled which is dumb in hindsight because I'm gonna have to remove the ends to feed the lines through the frame.

Looks great honestly. I did this for my DH bike when I got that and it took me about the same amount of time. I had a matte finish as well from ridewrap (I think?) and it wasn't quite that pronounced of a difference, but my bike is a LOT darker.

Make sure you keep all the scraps from the sheet they send you - really helpful to add little bits here and there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Levitate posted:

Shimano or SRAM brakes?

Shimano isn't too bad and honestly can't really gently caress it up if you're somewhat careful. Pounding the barb in can be annoying and if you have a crows foot adapter for your torque wrench then you can at least assume you're torquing the nut down properly to deform the olive, but I've just yolo'd and guessed and it worked out fine.

I assume SRAM is similar or easier as they have some fancier barbs and poo poo I think

Bike looks like it's gonna be hot

Thanks! :) Shimano. The tools to do it right are pretty silly expensive for what they are (hose cutter and press for the barb) so I may do that. TBD.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think I just had a cheap bleed kit I got from amazon that has stuff like little plastic blocks to help hold the hose while you try to work the barb in. Probably works better if you have a bench vise you can use to hold the blocks in place and press the barb in with something.
If you're trimming the end that's already connected with the barb/olive you can also count the number of exposed threads behind the nut so you know about how far to tighten the new connection back on (just tighten until the same number of threads are showing compared to the original, etc)
But I'm not totally sure how a pre-bled system is setup and I'd assume you're still having to connect one end anyways since you probably have to run internal for the rear?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Levitate posted:

I think I just had a cheap bleed kit I got from amazon that has stuff like little plastic blocks to help hold the hose while you try to work the barb in.

Shimano usually includes those blocks in their brake kits. I've asked my LBS for some before and they had extras.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Yellow shimano hose block + vise + rubber mallet = no problem

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

From the PB Monthly deals page, this is a crazy deal for US people on a bike:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s...=Outside+Online

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is Trailforks useless without the pay version?

I've been using it intermittently and finally ran out of the free trial. It seems like even basic features are locked out now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wait till the tire pumps with a subscription drop

Your dropper post has 10 uses left, better top it off with another IAP

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've been using it intermittently and finally ran out of the free trial. It seems like even basic features are locked out now.

I use the "free area" for basic route finding/trail reports without any issues

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
MTB Project has lots of the same info. That + Strava is pretty good way to build routes.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

"To be clear, the website and access to maps and trail data remains free on the website. Only the map outside your free area in the Trailforks app will be greyed out unless you become a PRO subscriber."

Seems like if you're in your home zone the app should have the same functionality.

But do you have use of any of the other features the Outside+ package gives you? Gaia GPS pro, outside magazine / movie streaming, etc? The whole package is like $35 for the year.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

"To be clear, the website and access to maps and trail data remains free on the website. Only the map outside your free area in the Trailforks app will be greyed out unless you become a PRO subscriber."

Seems like if you're in your home zone the app should have the same functionality.

But do you have use of any of the other features the Outside+ package gives you? Gaia GPS pro, outside magazine / movie streaming, etc? The whole package is like $35 for the year.

The map in the mobile app is the major thing that's missing and I can get by with the website for now. If I end up using it much I'll pay up, its a great service.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Go watch Crankworx Rotorua on RBTV. Rob, Eliot, and Tracey, good track, great racing. Love seeing Neko on the podium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
FYI: the devil (specialized) has a bunch of tires for sale for $26 on their ebay page if anyone's looking for new rubber.
https://www.ebay.com/str/specializedoutletstore/Bicycle-Tires-Tubes-Wheels/_i.html?_sacat=185023