Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

disaster pastor posted:

The point of the pool area is to avoid nasty negative garbage, not bring it in!

I just want it there for the latter part of that sentence, if no one's gonna do anything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

being bad enough to force cav to serious post on you with evidence tells me all I need to know

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Orange Carlisle posted:

being bad enough to force cav to serious post on you with proper capitalization tells me all I need to know

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

'The Hausu Usher' brought up other subforums that I guess they like to post in as proof that this place is full of hosed up cultists or something, but if they didn't care about taking part in those subforums and only showed up there every few months to repeat a shtick about how everyone there is a hypocrite, those forums would also probably take note and grow progressively more tired of it, instead of seeing that poster as any other random person every day. There's a clear difference in how they conduct themselves here and I don't know, maybe a mod is needed who understands what Jim Cornette is to take a look at this situation but it seems pretty apparent to me that this has already happened. This person comes here to pull strings and present themselves as a normal person who gets pulled into teaching the enlightened centrism and nobody else—even in a forum as even-keeled and sensible as Inspect Your Gadgets—would want to go, "shucks, put them on ignore!" as a way of 'resolving' it.

None of that even matters. There's no benefit in adding to the persecution complex. This subforum will be made objectively better by not having this happen a few times a year when some creep wants to venture out and be Calm Logical Joker in a place that they don't respect a single other person. Just do something about it instead of focusing on the decorum of not being allowed to tell somebody their bullshit is not worth reading. Let's avoid having this happen for the 4th time and beyond. Thanks.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Evil Badman posted:

Move the Cornette thread into the pool area and let their IKs chain probe this dude into the ground.

let's not do that.
The chain probing maybe, though, that's out of my hands. But don't give us the threads you don't want.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Cavauro posted:

Get the gently caress out of here seriously. You get leeway in here because of how much reverence you have for the idea of mods taking care of and handling everything and nobody else should ever do anything. The claim is that you came here to talk about Jay Briscoe and got poo poo on, but you've been trying to equate Jim Cornette's dogshit with watching any wrestling as a gotcha since the middle of last year, and the "let mods handle it" thing came up then too just like it does now with you because there isn't any other bullshit you can say after a certain point. If I'm wrong then get rid of this dumb rear end in a top hat who only comes here to talk about coddled AEW snowflakes.

I don't know why you and others feel you have to go this hard at me, and you're talking about "leeway from mods" and "trying to equate bullshit" to someone who, outside of today and the Briscoe argument has made like 5 posts in this forum since October and most of those were about the Wrestling Empire video game.

I don't think saying "these clips don't seem as hurtful in a wider context, but I still don't think what they're saying is great" is an attack on anyone's values, here. The way people have rounded on me is way over the top, and I'm really disappointed a mod didn't step in to calm things down at all. Today's the first time I've felt compelled to re-use the report button and it feels like I might as well have been sticking my finger in my ear.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

IGgy IGsen posted:

let's not do that.
The chain probing maybe, though, that's out of my hands. But don't give us the threads you don't want.

Fair enough. I don't give a poo poo about the thread, honestly.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I was going to say this is all really dumb but then I remembered that the Usher post that kicked this all off was because he said "Hey, I resemble that remark" and then used the space to tell us about how the clip is full of Cornette harassing people and doing a five minutes of hate but hey, he also said don't harass people.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Here’s the deal: if you think a user is continually getting away with something or you’re fed up with them doing something that goes against forum rules, report them.

Everyone has the report button.

It doesn’t seem like this has happened here so far.

There have been a number of reports today that have either been handled or are being handled.

Everyone has made their points. Report something if you think it needs reporting as a first step.

But at the same time, take responsibility for your posts and if you’ve made a lovely post then own it. We all make stupid posts and maybe we don’t realize it until someone calls it out, or maybe we don’t think it’s stupid and just want to post like a jerk. It takes all kinds. So maybe don’t post stupid posts is a good first step, and reporting is a good second step.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can we take a moment to ban Elephant Ambush while we’re at it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Personally I think the posters that continuously justify bigotry should have to modify their behavior instead of the people who don't like bigotry, but that's just me. Maybe the truth is in the middle this time, but it never seems to be the case.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can we take a moment to ban Elephant Ambush while we’re at it.

no the current solution is much more fun

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Personally I think the posters that continuously justify bigotry should have to modify their behavior instead of the people who don't like bigotry, but that's just me. Maybe the truth is in the middle this time, but it never seems to be the case.

You may have missed the part where I said to report bad posts when they happen, as opposed to coming to the feedback thread and asking to ban a user outright.

I don’t read that cursed thread so I’m not up on all of the horrors within it. I’m only one mod, but we can’t all know when a lovely post happens unless it’s reported. Use the buttons!

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I don’t see the point of the cornette thread if you guys want to get rid of the only person who wants to post in it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

You may have missed the part where I said to report bad posts when they happen, as opposed to coming to the feedback thread and asking to ban a user outright.

Hello moderator. I both reported and made the request in here! Thank you for your feed back. Lol. Thankfully he will still be able to post all of his deranged poo poo, while we all take a step back and reassess.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

A talking coyote posted:

I don’t see the point of the cornette thread if you guys want to get rid of the only person who wants to post in it.

People want to discuss the latest Cornette travesty without it infecting other threads. Which is how this started.

Also, Cornette rarely says something interesting about old school wrestling/technique that people want to talk about

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

please read the queue and scroll down ty

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

yea ok posted:

Hello moderator. I both reported and made the request in here! Thank you for your feed back. Lol. Thankfully he will still be able to post all of his deranged poo poo, while we all take a step back and reassess.

I’m saying to report them regularly. There’s this air of “they always make bad posts” but they aren’t often reported! If they had been, then their rap sheet would indicate as much and it doesn’t.

If you see a bad post and think it should be reported, report it. Don’t assume someone else will or something. If you think it deserves mod eyes, report it. Don’t just report one post when you’ve finally hit your limit and then ask for a ban.

I didn’t think it was that wild of an idea to suggest.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hello moderator! The point is that they only post in this subforum to defend or downplay the bigot guy who just a couple of days ago launched another harassment campaign. They are not a regular poster here. Therefore there aren’t many posts to report. I hope you can follow this logic on why they may not have been reported often, and why I made the request to begin with, and why so many responded positively!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I defer to Cav on this one--if yea ok reported him already, and he's got a track record of this poo poo that you can check the thread for, and his footprint on the subforum is limited to just that thread I say be done with em. It's a weird bit, it's a bad bit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I’m saying to report them regularly. There’s this air of “they always make bad posts” but they aren’t often reported! If they had been, then their rap sheet would indicate as much and it doesn’t.

If you see a bad post and think it should be reported, report it. Don’t assume someone else will or something. If you think it deserves mod eyes, report it. Don’t just report one post when you’ve finally hit your limit and then ask for a ban.

I didn’t think it was that wild of an idea to suggest.

The last three things on their sheet are related to exactly this.

Forum bans are dumb so I'm not for or against but the things people are talking about are right there in the rap sheet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I also think non-rovert forum bans are dumb but the guy's posts are bad and should be getting harsh probes until he either changes his posting or stops posting (either option is good with me)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

The last three things on their sheet are related to exactly this.

Forum bans are dumb so I'm not for or against but the things people are talking about are right there in the rap sheet.

With the vitriol everyone seems to have with them ITT I assumed they were doing this type of posting on the daily, but they have 3 probes in the last year or so. So that’s not like an insane track record on the surface, you know?

I guess that’s why this “ban them now!” mindset feels somewhat out of left field, because they don’t have a rap sheet that’s as decorated as much as some other regular posters here. I guess if they only post once a quarter and it’s always a bad post, that explains why.

All I’m trying to do or suggest is to use the features of the forum to do the things you want the mods to do.

Don’t want anyone to think I’m handwaving or whatever, and obviously I’m not the only mod so it’s not like my way or the highway - just trying to explain my reasoning and line of thinking.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I for one think we should be more welcoming of new voices and new perspectives. The busy bodies of PSP might be resistant to this but I personally invite you to make some posts, if even just one post, in The EPA.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

With the vitriol everyone seems to have with them ITT I assumed they were doing this type of posting on the daily, but they have 3 probes in the last year or so. So that’s not like an insane track record on the surface, you know?

I guess that’s why this “ban them now!” mindset feels somewhat out of left field, because they don’t have a rap sheet that’s as decorated as much as some other regular posters here. I guess if they only post once a quarter and it’s always a bad post, that explains why.

All I’m trying to do or suggest is to use the features of the forum to do the things you want the mods to do.

Don’t want anyone to think I’m handwaving or whatever, and obviously I’m not the only mod so it’s not like my way or the highway - just trying to explain my reasoning and line of thinking.

Please just click through and actually read the corny thread a little and see the posts and develop an opinion. Using a rap sheet as a measuring stick is bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if they got punished for making their lovely posts they'd have enough punishments on their rap sheet to allow the mods to punish them for making their lovely posts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

flatluigi posted:

maybe if they got punished for making their lovely posts they'd have enough punishments on their rap sheet to allow the mods to punish them for making their lovely posts

Sorry we can't punish this lovely post because we didn't punish any of these other lovely posts either

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it is mandatory for at least one person to make the most lovely bad faith reading of every post a mod makes on this web forum

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Gordon Ryan is a piece of work so full of dog poo poo opinions that he birthed an mma bad opinions spin off thread. It is unfathomable to imagine someone posting even qualified support of him without a ban.

This Cornette guy is way, way worse than Gordon Ryan.

Good to see the mods share my vision.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

I also think non-rovert forum bans are dumb but the guy's posts are bad and should be getting harsh probes until he either changes his posting or stops posting (either option is good with me)

The rovert forum ban is funny because I imagine him trying to post elsewhere here like CineD or TVIV. But in the case of THU they seem to be able to post normally in other forums (even though I don't personally care for their posts and have them on ignore they are fine in the CineD horror thread, for example) so they're a decent candidate for a forum ban imo.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
i think that if someone sucks bad they should go away i do not care how many posts they may or may not have

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

ganso bomb have you looked at the posts made by the poster

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
No forum ban will be happening, that's an extreme reaction right now, but the posts will be punished. I've been out and about without mod buttons for most of the day but I'm catching up on things now. I'm also planning to edit some rules into the C thread to clarify that it is not a safe space to defend that particular brand of hate.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

While we're at it a lot of the Punchsport goons would benefit from a community fund, I volunteer to be the arbiter of these funds so if you'll send money to my social @ dot gmail dot com I will redistribute these monies to those who need them monthly, there will be transparency as I do a monthly collectibles show so I definitely won't launder these funds or use them to fund my alcoholism

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

'The Hausu Usher' brought up other subforums that I guess they like to post in as proof that this place is full of hosed up cultists or something, but if they didn't care about taking part in those subforums and only showed up there every few months to repeat a shtick about how everyone there is a hypocrite, those forums would also probably take note and grow progressively more tired of it, instead of seeing that poster as any other random person every day. There's a clear difference in how they conduct themselves here and I don't know, maybe a mod is needed who understands what Jim Cornette is to take a look at this situation but it seems pretty apparent to me that this has already happened. This person comes here to pull strings and present themselves as a normal person who gets pulled into teaching the enlightened centrism and nobody else—even in a forum as even-keeled and sensible as Inspect Your Gadgets—would want to go, "shucks, put them on ignore!" as a way of 'resolving' it.

None of that even matters. There's no benefit in adding to the persecution complex. This subforum will be made objectively better by not having this happen a few times a year when some creep wants to venture out and be Calm Logical Joker in a place that they don't respect a single other person. Just do something about it instead of focusing on the decorum of not being allowed to tell somebody their bullshit is not worth reading. Let's avoid having this happen for the 4th time and beyond. Thanks.

people that normally sleep on the lighthearted cav posts shouldn't just skip over the serious ones because they're right on

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mob posted:

While we're at it a lot of the Punchsport goons would benefit from a community fund, I volunteer to be the arbiter of these funds so if you'll send money to my social @ dot gmail dot com I will redistribute these monies to those who need them monthly, there will be transparency as I do a monthly collectibles show so I definitely won't launder these funds or use them to fund my alcoholism

hes going to blow it on baseball cards dont believe this dude

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mob i took second place in survivor you wont believe who beat me

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

it is mandatory for at least one person to make the most lovely bad faith reading of every post a mod makes on this web forum

It’s how I know I’ve really made it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

JOHN CENA posted:

hes going to blow it on baseball cards dont believe this dude

what cards are they after? depending on the answer I might throw em a hundo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

what the gently caress is baseball