Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/1635687569563299854?t=BZvtuCcisr_h2lWu3ce_5Q&s=19

Russian pilots are probably pissed off that they can't safely fly around Ukraine and decided to bonk some drone. They apparently landed in Crimea, unknown damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Blimey. You can see that (or those) UAVs on FR24 most days, callsign FORTE.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Trading a SU for a drone seems like a bad trade.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Russia rammed one of our (USA) drones, forcing it to crash in the Black Sea, with a fighter jet?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ukraine thread is right next door.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Trading a SU for a drone seems like a bad trade.

Risking a SU for a drone is a bad trade

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Well first your main constraint on how much you can load is in port, because you’re likely to hit the bottom before you finish loading. If the port’s deep enough, the next limitation is the ship’s minimum freeboard, which yeah that’s a reserve buoyancy stability thing.

It’s not so much about capsizing though, it’s about how low you are in the water and what it would take for waves to swamp the boat and how quickly she’d sink if that happened. Generally, though, the more loaded you are the more stable you are so capsizing isn’t an issue. (Yes I know the above is oversimplified)

Strapping floaties to the side of the ship to load more makes no sense because a) they’d have to be a few thousand cubic meters big b) the straps would have to be able to withstand a few thousand tons of force to keep them on the ship c) the floatie would be between the ship and the dock so the load rig wouldn’t reach d) this is a highly regulated industry and inspectors don’t like it when you point out there’s no rules that say a dog can’t play basketball.

If you want to load more at the same draft, you have to make the ship bigger. It’s that simple.

To simplify this, you COULD cut the roof off your car and have a convertible. But it'll never be as good as a purpose built one, and will introduce a whole bunch of other problems to boot, so you are better in every regard to buy something built for that purpose.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm actually kinda shocked diesel-electric cars aren't a thing already, what with how successful hybrids have been.

Mazda and nissan are producing electric cars with an onboard petrol engine as generator, bmw used to have one but it ended production recently. Automotive diesel has a bit of stigma after the volkswagen scandal so most brands are using petrol generators to avoid bad press.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A bunch of coal rollers will be very disappointed they can't rev the piss out of their rattley cummins when it's tied to a generator and only has "Low" and "High" as the running conditions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlowBloke posted:

Mazda and nissan are producing electric cars with an onboard petrol engine as generator, bmw used to have one but it ended production recently. Automotive diesel has a bit of stigma after the volkswagen scandal so most brands are using petrol generators to avoid bad press.

I mean the Prius and hybrids in general predate the VW emissions scandal by years and years, and diesel-electric has been used in subs and railways since the early 20th century. I'm surprised there hasn't been more effort to apply it to things like long-haul trucks. Or maybe there has, I'm not much of a gearhead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

Ukraine thread is right next door.

Occured in international airspace, ergo not Ukrainian related!

Definitely Cold War AIRPOWER thread related though - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&goto=lastpost
a pro follow.

Also lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SlowBloke posted:

And a nice detail is Mazda is reintroducing their wankel engines for the onboard generator role since the p/w efficency is so much more valuable now. With a bit of luck and financial success we might get the beutiful screaming engines back too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And a nice detail is Mazda is reintroducing their wankel engines for the onboard generator role since the p/w efficency is so much more valuable now. With a bit of luck and financial success we might get the beutiful screaming engines back too

Oh neat

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There are two sorts of magic Doritos in the world: Opamps and Rotary Engines.

One is glorious and the other is black magic.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

To simplify this, you COULD cut the roof off your car and have a convertible. But it'll never be as good as a purpose built one, and will introduce a whole bunch of other problems to boot, so you are better in every regard to buy something built for that purpose.

The other thing to consider in this conversation is that the size of ships is fundamentally limited by the ability to pass through the Panama Canal/Strait of Hormuz/Suez Canal. Nobody is going to pay millions of dollars for a ship that has to sail all the way to Antarctica and back to deliver a payload, it just doesn’t make sense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

There are two sorts of magic Doritos in the world: Opamps and Rotary Engines.

One is glorious and the other is black magic.

I agree rotary engines are glorious

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

For those not familiar with this part of nerd world, rotary engines basically do more explosions quicker than regular 4-stroke piston engines

and that makes glory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXtpMngivM

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

The other thing to consider in this conversation is that the size of ships is fundamentally limited by the ability to pass through the Panama Canal/Strait of Hormuz/Suez Canal. Nobody is going to pay millions of dollars for a ship that has to sail all the way to Antarctica and back to deliver a payload, it just doesn’t make sense.

That's why extra floaty bits makes sense. Going through a canal, just put the containers on the floaty bits and tow them behind you. THen when you're through, put them back on the ship and use the extra floats to keep you upright! Bing bong so simple.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Coasterphreak posted:

Panamax is the only real constraint. I'm not sure we are near Suez limit and Hormuz isn't really a constraint.

Theres plenty of cargo that could go around the Cape without needing the shorter trip, and bigger ships are usually more efficient so that would help save on fuel costs and Suez transit fees. Once speed limits come in it will be interesting to see what happens.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Capesizes hit the Suez Canal draft limit on occasion. Most ships are size limited by other factors long before they hit the canal limits.

There’s a reason Handysize is a whole category on the Baltic.

CainFortea posted:

That's why extra floaty bits makes sense. Going through a canal, just put the containers on the floaty bits and tow them behind you. THen when you're through, put them back on the ship and use the extra floats to keep you upright! Bing bong so simple.

I don’t have enough booze in me to address this.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean the Prius and hybrids in general predate the VW emissions scandal by years and years, and diesel-electric has been used in subs and railways since the early 20th century. I'm surprised there hasn't been more effort to apply it to things like long-haul trucks. Or maybe there has, I'm not much of a gearhead.

Prius and other hybrids had the petrol engine driving the wheels, not as a stand alone power generator. Nissan is using it to recycle their BEV parts while Mazda is doing it since they really can't re-engineer the mx30 with a more interesting range without pretty much starting back from scratch. Those are both choices done not due to being a sound engineering choice, but as a way to save money. Chevrolet did a mostly petrol-electric layout(but even then the gearbox was linked to use the petrol engine as a drive unit).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 14, 2023

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

monkeytennis posted:

Blimey. You can see that (or those) UAVs on FR24 most days, callsign FORTE.

Quoting myself to say wrong UAV. FORTE is one of those RQ things.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Nonsense, you fold up the outriggers over top of the boat when going into a canal or docking, then drop them down when you're at sea. Same as you see on some ocean going kayaks, they're all just boats right?

Like this, but a bit bigger:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the current event is you guys are dorks

I have no idea what any of this stuff you're talking about is I guess my prior enlisted IQ hit finally kicked in

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
What if we attached hot air balloons to the rails to lower the draft of the boat or even fly it over the canal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nonsense, you fold up the outriggers over top of the boat when going into a canal or docking, then drop them down when you're at sea. Same as you see on some ocean going kayaks, they're all just boats right?

Like this, but a bit bigger:

Air draft is a thing, and you’ve just hosed up your stability by hoisting up those loving things.

Alright fun boat derail over, back to current events please.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What if flying ships? No canal limits. Some sort of air...ship?

Also looking forward to the biofuel reformer fuel cell hybrid cargo ships in this make believe scifi future. Since it's the only way other than nuclear to ever get carbon neutral international shipping.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

What if flying ships? No canal limits. Some sort of air...ship?

Also looking forward to the biofuel reformer fuel cell hybrid cargo ships in this make believe scifi future. Since it's the only way other than nuclear to ever get carbon neutral international shipping.

nuclear

blimps

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CainFortea posted:

this has been tried exactly twice and it was such a ridiculous idea it was used as a major plot point in Red Storm Rising

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For the audience confused by the word salad -

A bio fuel reformer takes a hydrocarbon and breaks it down into CO and H2, and then following stages turn the CO into CO2. While that hydrocarbon can really be anything one of the best candidates are the ethanols and alcohols produced by fermenting corns and sugars. Ideally the industrial waste sorts.

Then a fuel cell turns that directly into electricity. The whole process is about 20% more efficient at electrical production than if you just burnt the source hydrocarbon in an reciprocating or turbine engine.

So a ship would use one of those to drive an electric drive train. And fuel cells are expensive, but nearly 100% recyclable, and the cost scales linearly with power output, whereas big engines and turbines get increasingly expensive.

Being a bio fuel it *can* be net neutral, unlike fossil sources.

International shipping requires the energy density of fossil, or bio fuel, or nuclear, to provide for modern society, and you're not going to reform society to change that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You idiots are still talking about boats, when the future is throwing really high in the air, letting rhetoric earth spin, and drop in on the destination.
Bing Bong, Future ringing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That's called a launch loop space elevator. Which is a slightly more sane version of the fountain style space elevator. Both are metal as hell.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/andreaapetersen/status/1635648656421339138?t=ZEaiKEKEFz9RJCrT7ulcWg&s=19

The Woke failing WSJ is coming for your great American sandwich now

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

You idiots are still talking about boats, when the future is throwing really high in the air, letting rhetoric earth spin, and drop in on the destination.
Bing Bong, Future ringing.

Get the coordinates wrong or have a failure of your airbrake and parachute system, and your Amazon package delivery doesn't land on your porch, it obliterates your house.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress you sandwiches rule

i will never stop eating sandwiches

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

To be fair, sandwiches are a lot more calorie dense than most people realize. Also cured pork products have a ton of sodium in them, and (for example) Jimmy Johns bread has a ton of sugar in it. A 16 inch sub there can easily break 2000 calories.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

:frog:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress you sandwiches rule

i will never stop eating sandwiches

Sandwiches are well and good, but like most things Americans could stand to eat smaller ones with more vegetables. It’s the same poo poo as beef, you don’t have to be a vegan but for like 98% of the population less red meat would lead to better health outcomes.

You do you, but going into old age with metabolic syndrome sucks a lot more than without.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i mean i'm not american so my sandwiches aren't 99% processed, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I had to get a bigger toaster to fit the fancy artisanal sourdough I buy, you'll take my gigantic sandwiches from my cold dead hands.