Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I wanna see someone get isekaid and spend the entire story super grumpy because everyone is eating brown rice all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Haystack posted:

I wanna see someone get isekaid and spend the entire story super grumpy because everyone is eating brown rice all the time.

But then they can't cure beriberi by making people eat brown rice

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some styles of cooking are necessarily complex though, if you're primarily cooking for survival you're not going to invent puff pastry or Beef Wellington for example. This presumes a pretty sad state of affairs for the world, but it is possible that nobody in your world invented French cuisine simply because nobody who had the resources to cook for the joy of it stumbled upon those recipes.

As a fantasy world you can always cheat and say new ingredients were suddenly discovered like in Isekai cafe or restaurant to another world.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The one thing they never seem to introduce, but which was a rather late invention, is modern recipe layouts with standardized measurements.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Technomages work like that in Babylon 5. They even had a spinoff book series centering around them and their magic.

I reallt disliked how the spinoffs changed the technomage concept from 'guys who understand weird tech really well and it looks like magic to outsiders' to 'dudes with alien cybernetic implants they have very little understanding of'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really, really funny in an isekai story when the mc is presented with a fully stocked japanese kitchen which has never been used to make food. in one a cook actually had a big jug of soy sauce and it had never occurred to him to use it until the isekai dude waltzed in and made some basic rear end family restaurant dishes. oh, for some reason we have copious amounts of cooking oil available for cheap but what is this... frying you speak of?

in a better story the two mc's want to make money by introducing fried chicken to the world but a) no one likes it and b) they are actually kind of poo poo at cooking. so it's a non-starter and they went on to do other things.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Yinlock posted:

"magic as code" is usually just an excuse for the protagonist to show off how much better their coding is without going into any specifics

I dropped out of that one super fast too. Not really a fan of the whole "well the proles just can't be trusted with magic" thing even if the worldbuilding justifies it

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly not sure, as much as I loved the art I got kind of bogged down in the plot and gave up on it.

I'm assuming you guys mean Magilure because Witch Hat Atelier is absolutely amazing.

On the cooking thing, I've watched enough Tasting History, Towsends, and other cooking and history Youtube channels that a lot of stuff shown in isekai is actually quite believable.

Kwyndig posted:

Some styles of cooking are necessarily complex though, if you're primarily cooking for survival you're not going to invent puff pastry or Beef Wellington for example. This presumes a pretty sad state of affairs for the world, but it is possible that nobody in your world invented French cuisine simply because nobody who had the resources to cook for the joy of it stumbled upon those recipes.

As a fantasy world you can always cheat and say new ingredients were suddenly discovered like in Isekai cafe or restaurant to another world.

This. Same for transportation and availability of certain ingredients or cost effectiveness. Salt is cheap now, but even just a few centuries ago the idea of using it as a casual seasoning would likely be unheard of outside of nobility or someone with great wealth.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't a lot of French cuisine developed to cover up meat that was starting to go bad?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kwyndig posted:

If I ever get isekai'd, send me with my spice rack. Humans spent countless amounts of blood and treasure getting nutmeg halfway across the Earth and they'd probably do anything for new, good flavors because humans are still humans.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The other side of Magic Is Math is the Magic is Chemistry angle. Everyone in the world is inefficiently making use of outdated chemical knowledge and with their knowledge of advanced chemical engineering and the rarer elements of the periodic table and their effects, the main character has become absurdly powerful.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

KittyEmpress posted:

The other side of Magic Is Math is the Magic is Chemistry angle. Everyone in the world is inefficiently making use of outdated chemical knowledge and with their knowledge of advanced chemical engineering and the rarer elements of the periodic table and their effects, the main character has become absurdly powerful.

Nuclear war isekai

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can usually buy when someone uses their knowledge of chemistry and physics to do new poo poo with magic. however, the better examples keep in mind that there's magic, so the earth science education isn't 100% applicable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't a lot of French cuisine developed to cover up meat that was starting to go bad?

No, that was a myth that comes from some dude writing a book in 1939.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can usually buy when someone uses their knowledge of chemistry and physics to do new poo poo with magic. however, the better examples keep in mind that there's magic, so the earth science education isn't 100% applicable.

iirc that dragon teacher story i forgot the name of has a fun bit of fantasy science where the protagonist is baffled as to why the waterwheel he made isn't turning at all in a river. someone else is like "well obviously the water spirits wouldn't like turning it" and he's like "wait that's actually a thing???"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 14, 2023

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gwrtheyrn posted:

Nuclear war isekai

Just start bringing in stuff from the dangerous chemistry thread, Things I Won't Work With, or Ignition!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

now I need an Isekai where someone makes a big deal about changing the world with their knowledge of physics / chemistry / medicine but doesn't actually have anything beyond surface level or practically. yeah good job genius penicillin comes from mold, now go ahead and tell me how to get that and make it a drug

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Jon Irenicus posted:

now I need an Isekai where someone makes a big deal about changing the world with their knowledge of physics / chemistry / medicine but doesn't actually have anything beyond surface level or practically. yeah good job genius penicillin comes from mold, now go ahead and tell me how to get that and make it a drug

This would just end up being something like "How I Tried to Revolution Medicine in Another World, but I Became a Slaver Instead!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

This happens in "The Ideal Sponger Life" with the main guy's half-assed knowledge of glassblowing.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This would just end up being something like "How I Tried to Revolution Medicine in Another World, but I Became a Slaver Instead!"

what the gently caress is up with all this slavery poo poo by the way? I've only started reading Isekai stuff pretty recently but holy poo poo does a series seem interesting or have a fun gimmick then BOOM chapter 5 chattel slavery

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jon Irenicus posted:

Pretty sure Otherworldly Pharmacy did something like that.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

Just start bringing in stuff from the dangerous chemistry thread, Things I Won't Work With, or Ignition!

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane would be appropriate. It has two hexes in it!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jon Irenicus posted:

It's not technically isekai, but check out the classic Twilight Zone episode "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville" if you want this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jon Irenicus posted:

what the gently caress is up with all this slavery poo poo by the way? I've only started reading Isekai stuff pretty recently but holy poo poo does a series seem interesting or have a fun gimmick then BOOM chapter 5 chattel slavery

There was a blog that better explained, but basically it's part self-insert(you're some nondescript unknown shlub) part dragon quest(gather party of adventure buddies to defeat bad guy or do cool adventure stuff) part wish fulfilment(all the girls want you). How do you check everyone of those boxes as quickly as possible? Buy yourself a slave harem!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

doomrider7 posted:

yea, producing penicillin from mold is like 101 of medical isekais. and one of the first major things to be made in like the first few arcs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bertia was just a delightful character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
part of it is a lazy narrative shortcut, part of it is following trends based on popular works written by total sicko freaks that are really into the idea of owning people as property.

if you can help it, don't let anyone who tells you they like shield hero be around children. they might as well be wearing a nambla baseball cap.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

doomrider7 posted:

Iirc they did it with streptomycin rather than penicillin since streptomycin was the original antibiotic for the plague (and also TB)

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 14, 2023

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Just like isekai is a shortcut for introducing a new world, slavery is a shortcut used to introduce new characters that will follow the MC around. Like rather than introduce a character and finding some dumb reason why they'd follow around the MC who has no real qualifications and definitely not a garbage personality, they just buy a slave who has no choice but to follow them around, but you see the MC is definitely not a garbage human being like the rest of the slavers :rolleyes:. But also it's what other people wrote before.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea its just a shortcut, then the story just depends on if the dungeon raids is interesting enough.

imo, the better shortcut is the 'i'm not racist' mc. Where everyone tries to enslave elfs and dwarfs or other demis, and the mc saves them. And gets a diverse party of different races that follow him because he treats them equal, since to him, everyone is a foreigner anyway.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GateOfD posted:

imo, the better shortcut is the 'i'm not racist' mc. Where everyone tries to enslave elfs and dwarfs or other demis, and the mc saves them. And gets a diverse party of different races that follow him because he treats them equal, since to him, everyone is a foreigner anyway.

I think we all know that this scenario usually ends up with MC owning the slaves he 'saves' but it's definitely okay because they wanted to follow the MC anyways right? Right?!?!? And also they all happen to be women because the MC needs a harem.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
:)

how about the ones where the party members were his former npc support characters from the MMO he played, so their loyalty is already preordained.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

That sort-of happens in Isekai Tensei Soudouki.

The MC has very, very broad but very very shallow knowldge that he uses. He can make a water pump, lightning rod, sugar from beets, and baghdad batteries but when they approach him for help confronting a disease he is unsure because he knows the basics and very little more. (He still figures it out by at least telling them basic treatment for cholera, washing hands and burning bedding/waste, and not by producing actual medicine)

And then he introduces WW1 trench-style combat to medieval style armies. It gets rather weird.

Thankfully zero slaves in it that I am aware of.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jon Irenicus posted:

I don't think Shield Hero started the fad or was the first to do it, but a lot of these are hoping for its success I imagine. I think one of the first examples is literally named something like Slave Harem in Another World, so you know what the motivation was from the beginning.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GateOfD posted:

:)

how about the ones where the party members were his former npc support characters from the MMO he played, so their loyalty is already preordained.

Worked for Isekai Apocalypse Mynoghra.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mycot posted:

I don't think Shield Hero started the fad or was the first to do it, but a lot of these are hoping for its success I imagine. I think one of the first examples is literally named something like Slave Harem in Another World, so you know what the motivation was from the beginning.

Is that part of the extended Japanese title (or dumb furigana) or something that got added tot he title by scanlators? I haven't actually watched/read the series so it's possible/likely they threw it in because it's accurate, but it doesn't look like it's officially part of the title.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

That one is “better” because it’s 100% upfront about the author’s fetish and you know to avoid it.

What sucks is when it’s an otherwise decent series and then we get sudden slavery due to lazy writing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reincarnated in a Bioware RPG where I always pick the top left dialogue option to initiate romance with my sweat aphrodisiac waifu

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Reincarnated in a Bioware RPG where I always pick the top left dialogue option to initiate romance with my sweat aphrodisiac waifu

Nemo2342 posted:

it’s 100% upfront about the author’s fetish and you know to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

khy posted:

And then he introduces WW1 trench-style combat to medieval style armies. It gets rather weird.

Thankfully zero slaves in it that I am aware of.

What's a couple of war crimes between friends anyways?