Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

American McGay posted:

Yeah man real compelling stuff. Love it when every enemy has particle effects that cause the game to run at 6fps. Super fun game.

That’s your punishment for taking the coward’s way out instead of fighting your way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How can you even get mad playing a Kirby game lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Larryb posted:

Then play the GBA remake Nightmare in Dreamland instead

That version makes some weird art choices. The 3D classics version on the 3DS is the best way to play

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hatty posted:

That version makes some weird art choices. The 3D classics version on the 3DS is the best way to play

oh yeah the 3D Classics version is awesome. anyone that doesn't have that should grab it before the eshop gets nuked

I liked Nightmare in Dreamland less than Adventure but it's hard to pinpoint exactly why. Nightmare is even the version I played first.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

kirby is extremely good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

It also turns the turtle miniboss into an elephant and gets rid of the Egg Catcher minigame for some reason, though it is the first game to add a postgame mode where you play through again with another character (Metaknight in this case)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh wait now I remember, it's because Adventure has really pleasant pixel art while everything in Nightmare in Dreamland looks like a heavily compressed jpg. They definitely got a lot better at utilizing the GBA by the time Amazing Mirror came around.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

i don't dislike nightmare in dream land or anything but adventure has one of the greatest color palettes of all time and that's a tough act to follow

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah Nightmare looks good in a vacuum and was the first version of Adventure I played but they really did a number on the aesthetic

hatty fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

American McGay posted:

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1635749386906124288?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

Yeah man real compelling stuff. Love it when every enemy has particle effects that cause the game to run at 6fps. Super fun game.

It's 6 fps so you can take the time to admire each frame

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Please enjoy all frames equally

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1635749386906124288?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

I played the 3DS 3D version and it ran absolutely fine so this is really funny to me.

It's an OK game but subsequent Kirby games completely iterate on and improve the core concept to the point where I just wished I was playing Super Star or something instead. I know a lot of 2D Nintendo sequels are like that and it's not really a complaint but this was next level

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Kirby's Adventure is an amazing technical achievement on the NES and the BGM tunes are just fantastic.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Palmtree Panic posted:

Love to see complaints about the limitations of the NES in the year 2023.

Yeah, emulators should have fixed the slowdown for thirty year old games by now, smh

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, emulators should have fixed the slowdown for thirty year old games by now, smh

But what about my fidelity

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Curious how the frames are going to be in Tears of the Kingdom.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Since they are making it purely for the Switch and Nintendo have always done amazing stuff on their own hardware I feel pretty good about it

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fun Times! posted:

Xenoblade 3 ran really well in comparison to 2 and had even larger areas so I think it’ll run as good or better than BotW.

They’re also using AMDs FSR tech to upscale stuff from a lower resolution for frame rate stuff now

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like Kirby.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I only realized just how much I liked Kirby after playing Star Allies. It's not a particularly good Kirby game, average at best, but it's a love letter to a series as a whole, and I was surprised to see how many references I understood and just how much I appreciated it. Then I thought back and it turns out I've seriously played nearly every Kirby game and a lot of the side games. So yeah, I love Kirby too. Great game.

I think the only one that actively bored me was Epic Yarn on the 3DS. It's charming but that one was too easy for me even for a Kirby game. It lacked the other things that make up for that, and the 100% extra hard modes weren't enticing enough to even want to bother with.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Fun Times! posted:

one would assume one after another like they usually are

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AUSGOONS

If you're hoping for a chance to get the N64 controller and don't yet have one, there's a new batch going up on the My Nintendo store tomorrow (March 16th) at 1PM, AEDT.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It's called Tears of the Kingdom because vsync is off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Look, I so wish Kirby's Adventure consistently played at 60fps. I'd even accept 30. But it doesn't.

Despite that, it's an absolute banger of a title, through and through.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cirus posted:

But what about my fidelity

The good emulators have various upscaling options, including nearest neighbor if you want it extra sharp.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Fun Times! posted:

It would be cool if they scanned your save data from BotW and Link's house was still where it was and had all of the stuff you put into the display frames.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

jackhunter64 posted:

tears of the framerate, amirite?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I decided to write down one of those passwords you get as a lark. I assume that means that all the power ups like the morph ball and the missiles will be available from the beggining.

e:

I'm digging the ritual. You play until you get a Game Over then you write down your password on a piece of paper. Then you type in the password when you play again and see how far you get next time.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 15, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

jackhunter64 posted:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

I decided to write down one of those passwords you get as a lark. I assume that means that all the power ups like the morph ball and the missiles will be available from the beggining.

e:

I'm digging the ritual. You play until you get a Game Over then you write down your password on a piece of paper. Then you type in the password when you play again and see how far you get next time.

Did you miss the late 80's? Even if this is a bit, I'm enjoying seeing someone discover the joy of classic NES stuff, so keep up the posts!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"NANI?"

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of Kirby chat, bring back the animal friends Nintendo you loving cowards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

On the topic of Kirby chat, bring back the animal friends Nintendo you loving cowards

They were playable in Star Allies at least (and the recent Return to Dreamland remake has equippable masks of them among other characters)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always thought after Nintendogs and Nintencats we'd start getting other animals until they can build up to the big Nintenman

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Nintendo's and Don'ts: Mario Teaches Manners

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Mario & Emily Post at the Olympic Games Paris 2024

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

B33rChiller posted:

Did you miss the late 80's? Even if this is a bit, I'm enjoying seeing someone discover the joy of classic NES stuff, so keep up the posts!

Hardcore Amiga loyalist. Do I look like I know what a Nintendo is?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I played Mario RPG for the first time a few years ago and had fun busting out the pen and paper to solve the word puzzle part

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

You appear to be a golden cat. I'd love to try an Amiga, or any of those microcomputers of the era. I have vague memories of some friends loading games with a tape drive on a computer hooked to the TV, but I can't remember what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Lotta childhood memories in my Amiga. When the a500 mini was announced I pre-ordered like there was no tomorrow. Still need to get Swords of Twilight working on that thing...

In Switch news I finished No More Heroes 2 the other day, gonna roll into Dread shortly.