Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Tiny Bug Child posted:

control.lua, line 304, the one that says "Event.addListener(defines.events.on_tick, on_tick)". This stops its main bit from running every tick so as an added benefit you're not paying a UPS cost for the privilege of having your bots explode.

Do that, install this mod that moves logistics chests back to a more reasonable place in the tech tree, disable coronal mass ejections, and Space Exploration is pretty fun. There's still the awful burner phase at the start but that's like 0.1% of a SE run.

Thank you friend.

Last I checked SE also checks your mod names for the word teleport and will mark them as incompatible in case someone makes a new teleportation mod that the author hasn't manually blacklisted yet. Its incredibly petty. Still I'm having fun with it so far despite some obnoxious issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FISHMANPET posted:

Long Range Radar: I think this is the radar mod I use. The regular radar range just isn't big enough for RSO/railworld, so this is a radar that scans out farther.

I use a mod called "Big Brother"

You start with vanilla radar, but then get multiple tiers of research to increase both range and scan speed, and each comes with an increase in power consumption. Eventually you end up with a very large range, but the power consumption for each radar is (I think) considerably higher than covering the same area with vanilla radars.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Big brother is nice but really ends up being a big performance hit in super-postgame megabases (I think because of the vehicles-always-visible upgrade). Here's one I've been using for a long time which just straight up replaces the vanilla radar with a bigger one that consumes an equivalent amount of power for the range revealed. But unless you're going for double-digit kspm on a sparse patches railworld big brother is probably fine.

And if long reach-type mods are appealing but feel too cheaty why not add a research cost to it. This one's extremely configurable so you can disable the infinite techs and only enable the upgrades you want (also includes movement speed, inventory size, hand crafting, and mining speed upgrades).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I used to use Big Brother, and I think it fired off a Lua script each time the radar did a reveal instead of just doing a reveal, and all my radars ended up in sync (maybe I installed the mod into an existing save?) and so every time the radars would do a reveal my game would freeze for a second as my hundreds of radars executed the same script at the same tick.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I used to use Big Brother, and I think it fired off a Lua script each time the radar did a reveal instead of just doing a reveal, and all my radars ended up in sync (maybe I installed the mod into an existing save?) and so every time the radars would do a reveal my game would freeze for a second as my hundreds of radars executed the same script at the same tick.

Interesting. I've never noticed this with Big Brother, but I also tend to keep my radar numbers to a minimum and clean up all my old redundant radars as the tech gets higher and ranges get longer. I've done a 3000 SPM base with Big Brother active without any UPS issues.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've burned out a couple times in Seablock around the time I set up green science, I think because I get annoyed that I need to revamp my ore production and processing several times and just decide I'm done with it for the day then never get around to coming back. Should I go back to an old save and push through, watch someone playing it so I can get a better idea, wait another year and start up a new run?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Zisteau is also doing an SE run. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVPJ1jbg0CaHXo2uKd3XcqFA1lqvBWOa_

This is one mod I'd rather watch for schadenfreude instead of actually trying to slog through.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If we're just posting cool mods the Max Rate Calculator: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MaxRateCalculator lets you bind a key to make a bounding box that tells you the total input/output of all selected buildings. Really nice for instantly seeing how much a block of buildings consumes/produces when designing stuff.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

LtSmash posted:

Oh that's a good idea. You happen to know the line numbers I need to delete?

In control.lua file there is a destroy_bot function (or something close to that) deleted all the code inside it so it effectively does nothing when called.

LtSmash posted:

Thank you friend.

Last I checked SE also checks your mod names for the word teleport and will mark them as incompatible in case someone makes a new teleportation mod that the author hasn't manually blacklisted yet. Its incredibly petty. Still I'm having fun with it so far despite some obnoxious issues.

Even dumber when you realize you can just teleport w/o any mods by opening the editor from the console... Probably disables achievements but who cares when you're playing mods?

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 10, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Does anyone know if Krastorio 2 works without biters, or at least in peaceful mode? There were some comments about collecting materials from the biters, but then later being able to produce them, but is unclear about if the crafting is locked behind dependent research.

Or if K2 has a version of the Lazy Bastard achievement that still works? I think you start with a broken-down assembler so it would certainly seem doable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rescue Toaster posted:

Does anyone know if Krastorio 2 works without biters, or at least in peaceful mode? There were some comments about collecting materials from the biters, but then later being able to produce them, but is unclear about if the crafting is locked behind dependent research.

Or if K2 has a version of the Lazy Bastard achievement that still works? I think you start with a broken-down assembler so it would certainly seem doable.

K2 works perfectly fine with peaceful mode. The biter resource is biomass, which you only need for military science and medkits, and you can make it in a biolab from petroleum gas and oxygen. I don't think you need any biomass to research the biolab.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

uPen posted:

If we're just posting cool mods the Max Rate Calculator: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MaxRateCalculator lets you bind a key to make a bounding box that tells you the total input/output of all selected buildings. Really nice for instantly seeing how much a block of buildings consumes/produces when designing stuff.

I don't know if there's any particular issue, but 'Max Rate Calculator' hasn't been updated in 2 years.
There's an equivalent, just named 'Rate Calculator' that is being actively supported. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RateCalculator

Half my mod list is ancient because I don't review it very often. I'm sure same for many other posters.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Rescue Toaster posted:

There is a mod setting for peaceful mode that changes the ingredients for whatever goo goes into military science so you can disable them. It makes it muuuuuch more expensive, but since you need no military you end up needing a lot less of it.

Or just play with peaceful mode on and expansion off so the creep exists and you can destroy what you need to kick off the cheaper production.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Teledahn posted:

I don't know if there's any particular issue, but 'Max Rate Calculator' hasn't been updated in 2 years.
There's an equivalent, just named 'Rate Calculator' that is being actively supported. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RateCalculator

Half my mod list is ancient because I don't review it very often. I'm sure same for many other posters.

drat , I had no idea. I've been using Max Rate Calculator for ages and the only issue I had with it was that it doesn't like certain Pyanondon buildings. I figures this was just some incompatibility but I'll give Rate Calculator a try then.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Started Industrial Revolution 3, just got Green science going. Steam powered everything!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

goodness posted:

Started Industrial Revolution 3, just got Green science going. Steam powered everything!

I keep starting this and bouncing off rubber, there any mod to make it less of a pain in the rear end?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Rubber was pretty annoying in Industrial Revolution because it was the first thing that required balancing solid byproducts. I don't know of a way around it, but what I did was build 7 forestries (which was enough to last until endgame), a bunch of long belts feeding all the rubber wood into a crusher, and load the wood chips and rubber directly into a railcar, then load the chips directly from the railcar into boilers, to dispose of the wood chips.

Now I think it would have been easier to put the mixed solids on a belt and use a filtered splitter to separate the wood chips. That kind of pattern is needed a lot more in Nullius, which has a much longer gap between unlocking splitters and unlocking filtered inserters.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You also do not need a lot of rubber. If you can setup some rubber production relatively early and just stockpile you’ll be set for quite some time. It’s not used in science or anything that needs a constant stream, just some bursts for like “I picked up 100 power poles”

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ive slogged it to the start of the end game of SE + K2 with deep space science and after my first 30 some minute trip to an astroid field I've stopped playing for like 9 months.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm curious if anybody knows an overhaul/rebalance mod that adds some new stuff to do later in the game, without:
A) Turning red & green science era into a loving slog.
B) Adding a dozen new types of crafting machines.

I know normally people like B, but I like building nano factories that automatically change recipes and that doesn't work so well if you need one of each of a dozen different assemblers to make anything anyway.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
yuoki maybe? it adds some new machines but they're mostly for mining or prerequisite resource transformations/intermediates

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's Space Extension which just adds a bunch of stuff to do after launching your first rocket.

I did see a pretty new overhaul mod by the author that made 248k called Exotic Industries. I'm not sure how many extra things this adds to the early game, but it might be worth checking out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

I did see a pretty new overhaul mod by the author that made 248k called Exotic Industries. I'm not sure how many extra things this adds to the early game, but it might be worth checking out.

I enjoyed my 248k run, so I might have to give this a try. He says it's supposed to be the evolution of 248k.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

I like building nano factories that automatically change recipes

Oh hell yeah, please share some screenshots and explanations! Is this possible in vanilla?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

yoloer420 posted:

Oh hell yeah, please share some screenshots and explanations! Is this possible in vanilla?

No, because you cannot change the recipe of a machine using signals. The only mod you absolutely need though is Crafting Combinator: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/crafting_combinator_xeraph It has a combinator to change recipes, and another one to look up recipes and ingredients. The mod description has a link to the factorio forums where I posted about my very first automatic nano factory in 0.14. It used a push down automata state machine with a stack to calculate all the required sub-components to craft # amount of anything. Over the years I've built 4 different nano factories this way, using various methods to compute components.

There is a much simpler way where you maintain a buffer of every intermediate, then you can easily build anything at any time, and as the intermediates go down you can change back and craft some more, but it thrashes a lot between items as you can imagine. That's why I like doing it with perfect counts of everything, but the downside is actually a peculiarity of the circuit network, where if you have several items in one signal (the output of the recipe combinator, or a register with various components calculated) there's no way to select ONE item normally, to choose what to work on or deal with next. You have to build large contraptions to prioritize a huge set of predefined signals, or use one of a few modded combinators that can select the largest signal on it's input, since there's no way to do that normally. Those various combinators or mini computers can be useful for doing your work too, like I built one using the fCPU mod, which has a 'largest input signal' selector and obviously can do lots of logic.

I haven't built one since 1.0, and I was thinking about doing a retro one that's close to my original 0.14 version, using a push down automata and stack again very close to vanilla, just for fun. I might try a game with biters on (it takes like 100 hours to launch a rocket using a single assembler and lazy bastard, but on the flip side not much pollution). Or I might try to find a sweet spot of an overhaul mod, but like I said before so many of them require several assemblers to build anything which kind of spoils the fun. The downside with vanilla research tree is once you get the final beacons & bots and the thing is REALLY cranking, there's not much to actually build or do but let it sit there and churn out a rocket over the course of like 20 hours.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone have mods they like that "improve" the experience of using a personal roboport? I installed all the Vanilla Expanded armor mods, and got myself the highest tier roboport. I like how many bots it can charge at a time and how quickly it charges them, but the range is just crazy. When I'm laying down a mega factory or a new mining outpost, the robots just go too far away, and so it still ends up where they take forever for the batteries to die and come back to me and charge. I'd like a roboport with that much "power" but with the same range of the built-in mk2 roboport. I'm about ready to just make my own mod (or just tweak the mod def) to shrink the range on the mk2 roboport, unless there are better options.

E: fuckit, that was really easy, just changed the build radius on all the Vanilla Expanded (Expanded Vanilla?) roboports to 20 (the same as the mk2)

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 14, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Because normally by the time you get robots you can put two blue science tier levels into robot speed. That 40% boost really helps. There was a good quick start mod that gave you special starter robots that had absurd base speed to compensate without adjusting the rest of the tech tree.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm at like tier 13 of robot speed, but when you've got hundreds of objects in your build area to build, they'll eventually run out of juice as they zip back and forth from you to the build location. And the bigger build radius makes it even worse, because now they're really far away when they finally lose juice. The bots don't seem to be smart enough to stop and recharge if they don't have enough juice to go out and come back enough. It's also annoying when you're building something with overall thousands of items to have this huge build area, because you're likely way over the "600" item limit for reporting missing objects, so it can be difficult to figure out what you need to go back to base and grab because your GUI is giving you info for a massive area.

I'm feeling much better already with the greatly reduced robot area.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

FISHMANPET posted:

One of these mods may help with that:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ClosestFirstWithHotkeys
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ClosestFirstOneDotOne

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm at like tier 13 of robot speed, but when you've got hundreds of objects in your build area to build, they'll eventually run out of juice as they zip back and forth from you to the build location. And the bigger build radius makes it even worse, because now they're really far away when they finally lose juice. The bots don't seem to be smart enough to stop and recharge if they don't have enough juice to go out and come back enough. It's also annoying when you're building something with overall thousands of items to have this huge build area, because you're likely way over the "600" item limit for reporting missing objects, so it can be difficult to figure out what you need to go back to base and grab because your GUI is giving you info for a massive area.

I use a mod called Infinite Technologies that allows the research of better bot batteries. Each level of tech doesn't make a big noticeable change, but once you have a fair number of levels of that tech, you can absolutely see that your bots can travel a lot farther on a single charge with their upgraded battery tech.

It doesn't change bot AI, so they can still get stuck running dry sometimes, but it's a lot less common as I don't run any mods increasing the area of my roboports.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Yeah I think bot mechanics and AI changes would be the biggest positive change (expansion/more content aside) they could make to the game. Something as simple as bot path finding allowing moving between roboports and charging at each one, and discounting the path costs of such moves

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can pick up drones in flight just like any other object, by right-clicking for long enough. Their power reserves are assigned to them when they launch, so if you pick up a dead drone but still have drone jobs up they immediately launch back out of your inventory with a full charge.

I found this out when I used to do Toxic Jungle starts way, way back in the day when that mod was new, alongside starting with Modular Armor and a basic set of roboport gear, by setting out tree-removal orders for drones and then joining in manually.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Angel Bob's news: I planned out a bare minimum blue chip build and decided I'm at the point I need to make an extremely boring loginetted mall to deal with the umpteen million buildings and building levels.

Staring at helmod for an hour at a time is reminding me of undergrad chem eng mass balance courses and I can't tell if it's nostalgic or infuriating.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I've just set up ongoing plastic and rubber synthesis in Nullius. It's a bit hard to manage fluid byproducts using only pressure valves with no power switches and limited red wire. I will probably install a mod for free red/green wire.

Nullius reminds me a bit of Factorissimo Inecption in terms of the bleak emotional context of being alone and purposeless in a lifeless world.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Phobeste posted:

Yeah I think bot mechanics and AI changes would be the biggest positive change (expansion/more content aside) they could make to the game. Something as simple as bot path finding allowing moving between roboports and charging at each one, and discounting the path costs of such moves

I understand that having 12000 bots calculating paths multiple times per second would drag the game. The solution is to completely cover all space, including empty, with roboports. Adding infinite techs for robot battery and port logistics range (plus storage capacity) would give a gamey way to solve it more elegantly... but those aren't in the game so it's time for mods.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the thing i never got about that excuse is, like, so don't do that? if you plot paths ahead of time through the loginet then you don't have to recalculate? sure someone might add one or remove one but that's rare compared to total number of bot pathfind calls

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phobeste posted:

the thing i never got about that excuse is, like, so don't do that? if you plot paths ahead of time through the loginet then you don't have to recalculate? sure someone might add one or remove one but that's rare compared to total number of bot pathfind calls

You have to recalculate when things like "the roboport you planned on charging at gets filled up with other charging bots". Or "Any roboport anywhere now has a free charging slot and might be a faster route".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
My task is now invalid because a value changed or something was removed or a logistical request was filled. A roboport was added/removed or power died. A chest filled/emptied. That building was canceled now how the hell do I get to the highest priority chest. The player moved.

Bots got a lot of things on their minds, man.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jabor posted:

You have to recalculate when things like "the roboport you planned on charging at gets filled up with other charging bots". Or "Any roboport anywhere now has a free charging slot and might be a faster route".

or ignore it and let 'em queue, can't be worse than today

Mailer posted:

My task is now invalid because a value changed or something was removed or a logistical request was filled. A roboport was added/removed or power died. A chest filled/emptied. That building was canceled now how the hell do I get to the highest priority chest.

orders of magnitude rarer than once/frame

quote:

The player moved.

Bots got a lot of things on their minds, man.
fair, but that's not 12,000 of them

i guess my point is it's not an automatic shutdown of the idea. it's harder to make this pathfinding work certainly, and possibly buggier if you're not really on top of it, but it's not impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Leave bots stupid, but have roboports charge them wirelessly within a radius. If they run out of battery, they fall out of the sky and die :v: