Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Das Boo posted:

I've only had a few (positive) interactions with Viv but I can say that a month in, the production and design staffs thus far have been really chill, friendly, and extremely patient with my dumbass figuring out their system. You can feel very good at supporting them!

Also something interesting for anyone who was riding the Pantheon train- We're having an in-person wrap party next month for S2. I know AMC was shopping the show and we were told to "hang tight" on updates, so [speculation]I'm pretty confident it's found a new home and we'll be receiving an announcement soon.[/speculation] (And for those who don't know, Pantheon was an adult 2D sci-fi series that AMC completely flubbed the release of and weeks after S2 was 100% done, they announced they were shelving the whole thing. They proceeded to go scorched earth and removed S1 from all available platforms thereafter. Why do this when it was getting such immense critical praise? Simple! Good ol' CEO shift-fuckery!)

This fukkin rules, I was hoping we’d get some sort of conclusion on the story. I’m still performatively mad about how a server rack lying on the ground could be cooled by ice tho. More megamins if you can swing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hating stuff feels good and hating stuff for self righteous reasons feels even better. And honestly for the most part I think it's fine, "this sucks, I've seen every episode" has been around forever and will continue on long after all of us are dead. I feel like it only really gets weird and inappropriate when people start taking things as personal attacks and going after creators directly, that's a massive boundary cross.

They did get super weird about George Lucas though.

I'm not trying to disagree with what you posted or argue against it, but as someone who doesn't care about Star Wars I feel like everyone who did care about Star Wars was a little overly mean to George Lucas for like a decade there and that should be acknowledged.

Well, I was mostly limiting myself to animation showrunners to stay on topic, but there's always exceptions :shobon: Was also trying to stay relatively recent, as well

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was some poo poo floating around about Alex Hirsch's conduct making Gravity Falls, but I'm not sure how valid it is. Possibly it could've just him having a breakdown because he couldn't handle making a show. People should've talked more poo poo about John K back in the day.

There is something about Helluva Boss that just smells a mile away like the kind of thing that's gonna draw people who are into drama. Something about the hot topic ish aesthetic and the edgey premise. Being an independent internet project without some bigger distributor/publisher also kinda places the show and its production more directly into the thick of things with more direct fan interactions and people more directly aware of how their operation lives and dies on general public opinion.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was some poo poo floating around about Alex Hirsch's conduct making Gravity Falls, but I'm not sure how valid it is. Possibly it could've just him having a breakdown because he couldn't handle making a show. People should've talked more poo poo about John K back in the day.

There is something about Helluva Boss that just smells a mile away like the kind of thing that's gonna draw people who are into drama. Something about the hot topic ish aesthetic and the edgey premise. Being an independent internet project without some bigger distributor/publisher also kinda places the show and its production more directly into the thick of things with more direct fan interactions and people more directly aware of how their operation lives and dies on general public opinion.

Honestly it's things people have no expectations of that tend to coast by these days. Everything else is a loving nuthouse of shippers and projected offenses. And straight up, I've got my own projects that one day God willing I'm going to publish. And I have to brace myself for the deluge of this poo poo if I ever manage to be successful. Not even joking I talked to my insurance agent about it and he specifically asked me if I'm writing something realistic like a biography or fiction. When I said fiction he got this worried look on his face and said the rates for that are higher because there's a greater chance someone is going to hurt you over it. I'm not sure if this a recent development or what but the fallout is real apparently.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't speculate on what caused it, but I do know that he let his hygiene devolve to the point where he had to be sent home because it was becoming a problem for the production. It's been a while since I learned about this waaaay back when the show was still in production, though, and since I had already kinda backed away from the show due to an iffy classmate (the "i won't fail and have to become a -teacher-" one) on it that I didn't get along with I sorta just filed it in my "oh nevermind" box of people/productions I didn't feel like following anymore.

Unless there's an educational benefit to others in my remembering gross details or specifics of lovely things someone or some entity does, I try not to obsess or spend much time remembering that kind of stuff, if that makes any sense.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I can't speculate on what caused it, but I do know that he let his hygiene devolve to the point where he had to be sent home because it was becoming a problem for the production.

Ooft. That sounds like it could be a lack of mental health support, poor guy if so.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The animation industry? Grind its participants into dust both physically and mentally? Well I never.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Warbird posted:

The animation industry? Grind its participants into dust both physically and mentally? Well I never.
As much as I agree with the assessments of the industry's problems and believe those are forefront of the issue, we have also learned that sometimes the people were broken before they got in and then make it others' problems a la Clarence's creator, or Butch Hartman.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Flopsy posted:

The show can be a bit hit or miss. The hits are really good the misses are pretty meh. Both pilots aren't super great (more so Helluva boss's) but Hazbin hasn't had a chance to show much else so I can't make a full comparison. I think if you ever liked Invader Zim and deviantart comic challenges you'll have a lot of fun. If not there's other stuff to browse from. Primal is very good for example if you want some really well animated violence and hard hitting drama.

The character designs (minus Luna) look leagues above Hazbin's, it has Richard Horvitz (Zim was fun, I own the house box-set), and the bits I've seen in motion I've appreciated. Good to know not to judge it by its pilot.

I have seen Primal. S1 was fantastic, near perfect.
S2 was good but felt "small", too European and lost a lot of mystery to its world. I'd preferred if it kept its faster pace and more pulp (ep 5 was good). Spear and Fang should have been sent to Mars. And then in S3 have them face off against New York mobsters with weird ticks and deformities.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Come And See posted:

The character designs (minus Luna) look leagues above Hazbin's, it has Richard Horvitz (Zim was fun, I own the house box-set), and the bits I've seen in motion I've appreciated. Good to know not to judge it by its pilot.

I have seen Primal. S1 was fantastic, near perfect.
S2 was good but felt "small", too European and lost a lot of mystery to its world. I'd preferred if it kept its faster pace and more pulp (ep 5 was good). Spear and Fang should have been sent to Mars. And then in S3 have them face off against New York mobsters with weird ticks and deformities.

If you want a personal recommendation from me about HB give episode four a miss and just read the summery. The rest of season one improves as it goes on. First and second episodes of S2 are kinda meh with incredibly good moments sprinkled in between but the third was a major uptick in quality once again. These are only my takes on it though so take em' with grain of salt.

And yeah they had a particularly bad pilot I felt. It really does make the characters look extremely one note and Stolas is almost a completely different character in the show.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The pilot absolutely sucks and does such a bad job with the characters. The biggest issue outside of Stolas just being different character is that the pilot has Moxxie just being an angry rear end in a top hat the entire time. Like the dynamic seems to be that Moxxie HATES Blitzo instead of how the rest of the show does it where he likes and respects Blitzo but also wishes he had better boundaries. I'm glad they changed Moxxie after the pilot because I don't think I could deal with him for an entire series. Plus Loona already fills that role a bit but isn't in every episode

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The pilot absolutely sucks and does such a bad job with the characters. The biggest issue outside of Stolas just being different character is that the pilot has Moxxie just being an angry rear end in a top hat the entire time. Like the dynamic seems to be that Moxxie HATES Blitzo instead of how the rest of the show does it where he likes and respects Blitzo but also wishes he had better boundaries. I'm glad they changed Moxxie after the pilot because I don't think I could deal with him for an entire series. Plus Loona already fills that role a bit but isn't in every episode

Moxxie is actually sweeter than Millie and Blitzo is 110% a sad clown. Neither of these are foreshadowed in any way in the pilot. Also Stolas comes off more like an incredibly creepy villain rather than Blitzo's love interest. Just--not great all round and the jokes are especially weak.

Hazbin definitely has it's weaknesses especially with the pacing but it's light years better as a pilot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, the pilot sucks and does a very bad job at setting up what they want to do.
]

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Moxxie is actually sweeter than Millie and Blitzo is 110% a sad clown. Neither of these are foreshadowed in any way in the pilot. Also Stolas comes off more like an incredibly creepy villain rather than Blitzo's love interest. Just--not great all round and the jokes are especially weak.

Hazbin definitely has it's weaknesses especially with the pacing but it's light years better as a pilot.

Yeah I find that interesting. Stolas is very much set up as an antagonistic figure or at least as a gross power dynamic creep. It’s til episode 2 for them to set that right. I am curious how hazbin turns out though because I thought the pilot was solid enough.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i know i am years late to this and all but alastor is just a fuckin' home run of a character concept + execution

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he loving sucks and was among the lowest points of a very, very bad pilot

atrocious color palette, trapper-keeper doodle design, never shut the hell up despite having nothing to say

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Happy Landfill posted:

There's nothing I can add to this conversation that hasn't already been said in SarahZ's video on this same issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ctRfI7cuM *

People shouldn't be shielded from criticism because they're marginalized but like, people don't treat Alex Hirsch or Pendelton Ward like this. People get -really- nitpickey when the media is queer and created by someone who isn't a man. I feel like if this show was not overtly queer and created by a dude, the fandom wouldn't be like *gestures vaguely* this. Not to say that dude creators don't also get poo poo but I feel like it takes a lot to get to that point. Honestly, I think the only woman showrunner that didn't get showered in poo poo was Lauren Faust and people only seemed to really start criticizing that show after she left

There was a really good tweet that I saw just yesterday, that I can't find, that said something like, "the worst thing you can do as a queer creative is go in to children's animation" and all can say is WORD

*her Bad Media Criticism video also touches on very similar points, but I think this video is a littler more relevant

Okay, I'm only a few minutes into this video, it seems like a good video and I'm gonna watch the whole thing but I just need to say this lady CANNOT figure out what to do with her hands and it is very distracting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The powerful move would be to do the hand jive the entire time without acknowledgment and then suddenly stop it at a dramatic moment to prove a point before starting it up again without further comment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Also Loona gets better once you hit the beach episode and she gets a bit of focus so she's not just disaffected teenage hellhound.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Oxxidation posted:

atrocious color palette, trapper-keeper doodle design, never shut the hell up despite having nothing to say

yeah I’m not going to go to bat for catboy butler visual design though the character designs are hit or miss for me across the board here; but i love the slimy obsolescence of someone who used to be a massive deal who is now trying to latch onto a potential sea change that could return them to relevance, while bluffing about their current reach and power to shoehorn their way in. filtering that through radio just works and im a huge mark for old radio sound design. he evokes American Gods in a way I dig, at least as presented in the pilot.

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 15, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love Alastor but I totally get why his particular brand of Hot Topic Deviantart edgelordy nonsense doesn't vibe with everyone.

I love Alastor and really HB and HH general character design because I'm a big fan of when big eyed cartoon characters do this:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i would not go this hard, but thats kinda my issue with alot of the designs in Hasbin. very loud and doodly. no real symetry and too random. Like HB has that but alot of the characters have arctypes and poo poo but with like specieis and poo poo.

Nikumatic posted:

yeah I’m not going to go to bat for catboy butler visual design though the character designs are hit or miss for me across the board here; but i love the slimy obsolescence of someone who used to be a massive deal who is now trying to latch onto a potential sea change that could return them to relevance, while bluffing about their current reach and power to shoehorn their way in. filtering that through radio just works and im a huge mark for old radio sound design. he evokes American Gods in a way I dig, at least as presented in the pilot.

yeah, i like his character and i like that he will probably have an interesting arc, but the design is mix for me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Alastor is a stylised pinstripe/powersuit design with some additions. I honestly rather like him. He's a gentlemanly figure with enough wrong to stand out. The only design from the Hazbin Pilot I think is too busy and poor fitting is actually Husk. Basically everyone else in Hazbin I think looks good to great, and Husk just looks overdesigned more than bad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are we about due for another Lower Decks season? It’s been a bit since the last one ended.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Alastor is a stylised pinstripe/powersuit design with some additions. I honestly rather like him. He's a gentlemanly figure with enough wrong to stand out. The only design from the Hazbin Pilot I think is too busy and poor fitting is actually Husk. Basically everyone else in Hazbin I think looks good to great, and Husk just looks overdesigned more than bad.

Husk is definitely a bit overly designed, but he doesn't bother me too much. I like his voice acting in the pilot. Honestly my least favorite design is probably Charlie. I'm not a fan of the Pikachu cheek things on her or Lucifer. I think Angel Dust has probably the cleanest design and feels the most like the character she has had around for a long time and has had time to really get right. Though I really like this dude that didn't appear in the pilot:

https://twitter.com/HazbinHotel/status/1609239739420508162

I am a bit worried that Hazbin Hotel is going to have way too many character and it's gonna suffer from bloat a little bit

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Husk is definitely a bit overly designed, but he doesn't bother me too much. I like his voice acting in the pilot. Honestly my least favorite design is probably Charlie. I'm not a fan of the Pikachu cheek things on her or Lucifer. I think Angel Dust has probably the cleanest design and feels the most like the character she has had around for a long time and has had time to really get right.

Charlie actually did get a redesign apparently, although I cannot find it again right now. I like the cheeks because the whole point is she and Lucifer are cherubic porcelain dolls, which is why when Charlie goes demon mode the horns literally are ripping out from the top of her head. They're literally Angels, (and Charlie is an Angel with a demon inside).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Charlie actually did get a redesign apparently, although I cannot find it again right now. I like the cheeks because the whole point is she and Lucifer are cherubic porcelain dolls, which is why when Charlie goes demon mode the horns literally are ripping out from the top of her head. They're literally Angels, (and Charlie is an Angel with a demon inside).

heh, i never noticed the porcinlaine thing.

i will say i like vaggies new design way way more then her old design.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Are we about due for another Lower Decks season? It’s been a bit since the last one ended.

probably gonna get announced this year. i assume

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

heh, i never noticed the porcinlaine thing.

i will say i like vaggies new design way way more then her old design.

You notice it pretty readily if you have a grandmother who collected a few of them and kept them prominently on display in the lounge room. Especially when you spot the fact that her demon horns tear open the top of her head when they pop out and consider why that might be. The exterminator angels also look fairly robotic, although the cherubs from Helluva Boss kind of don't fit the theme in this case which is that the Angels/Angelic Beings (Lucifer and Charlie) are kind of non-organic compared to the overly and overtly organic/animalistic demons.

Actually the Doll thing might be all of them, Charlie and Lucifer are perfect porcelain creepy dolls, the Exterminator Angels are more metallic/robotic, the Cherubs are soft toy dolls for children.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 15, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

the pilot makes it clear that he’s inexplicably super powerful (like one tier below hell’s nobility despite being recently damned) and causes chaos for shits and giggles. I don’t know if that was revised, but it would be nice because he was exactly as dull as the description makes him sound

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

the pilot makes it clear that he’s inexplicably super powerful (like one tier below hell’s nobility despite being recently damned) and causes chaos for shits and giggles. I don’t know if that was revised, but it would be nice because he was exactly as dull as the description makes him sound

He is super powerful but there's a bunch of beings on his level (and he's not that recently damned, he showed up powerful for reasons unknown but probably related to his apparent voodoo deals). He's being pushed out by the TV demon though, canonically speaking, in terms of social power/value (which yeah, television killed the radio star).

He's also powerful for a Sinner, which is not the same thing as a step below hell's nobility because Hell's nobility has a shitload of "power levels". There was a statement that Stolas is stronger than him, and technically Charlie is as well (she just doesn't use it).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the point is that there’s nothing about him in the pilot that supports nikumatic’s take on him (which, to be clear, would be a substantial improvement). it starts by talking about him like he’s a pinstriped extinction event and ends with him dragging another threat off to the shadow realm with no obvious effort

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

You notice it pretty readily if you have a grandmother who collected a few of them and kept them prominently on display in the lounge room. Especially when you spot the fact that her demon horns tear open the top of her head when they pop out and consider why that might be. The exterminator angels also look fairly robotic, although the cherubs from Helluva Boss kind of don't fit the theme in this case which is that the Angels/Angelic Beings (Lucifer and Charlie) are kind of non-organic compared to the overly and overtly organic/animalistic demons.

Actually the Doll thing might be all of them, Charlie and Lucifer are perfect porcelain creepy dolls, the Exterminator Angels are more metallic/robotic, the Cherubs are soft toy dolls for children.

Not sure if this is was she was going for but I really like the idea that heaven is inorganic as opposed to the very animalistic hell.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

As someone who actually liked the Hellava Boss pilot I feel compelled to defend it a little. Sure, it's not a great representation of what the show would eventually become, and yes the characters aren't quite right, but it still has good bones! It conveyed the basic premises of the show, showed off the cast and their dynamic, and had a cute song.

It wasn't perfect, but I thought it showed that the premise had potential which is exactly what a pilot is supposed to do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Helluva Boss pilot owned. The commercial for IMP remains one of the funniest bits in the whole series and Moxxie being more exasperated with Blitz was funny, "ARE YOU loving FILMING US?!" after the song was funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

He is super powerful but there's a bunch of beings on his level (and he's not that recently damned, he showed up powerful for reasons unknown but probably related to his apparent voodoo deals). He's being pushed out by the TV demon though, canonically speaking, in terms of social power/value (which yeah, television killed the radio star).

He's also powerful for a Sinner, which is not the same thing as a step below hell's nobility because Hell's nobility has a shitload of "power levels". There was a statement that Stolas is stronger than him, and technically Charlie is as well (she just doesn't use it).

yeah, i think its deal of "natural magic" vs "gained it for being a psycho in hell" type deal. he can gently caress up other dead psychos but he can't really roam free outside of the sinner level. stolas and charlie can and born with the hell magic/power.
idk. Hb hell is more of clive barker type hell where it has natives and creatures and culture and Humans souls be sent there.

my guess is its DBZ type power, it starts out making sense and then its just lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

As someone who actually liked the Hellava Boss pilot I feel compelled to defend it a little. Sure, it's not a great representation of what the show would eventually become, and yes the characters aren't quite right, but it still has good bones! It conveyed the basic premises of the show, showed off the cast and their dynamic, and had a cute song.

It wasn't perfect, but I thought it showed that the premise had potential which is exactly what a pilot is supposed to do.

i will give it that. i do think it has the bones of what alot of the relationships are sorta like to various degrees.

also the imp jingle is solid. enough for it to be my ringtone.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alastor is kind of interesting (to me) because he seemingly appeared overnight and just started slaying other powerful demons despite being just another human who died. It's kind of implied that he's getting his power from a stronger source somewhere else in hell but we literally just have the pilot and various interviews Viv has made to go on. He, like all the other sinners, can't leave the Pride ring, so his powers can only extend so far, and he's not as strong as real demons like Stolas and probably can't beat angels either. But I think he's supposed to be stronger than basically every other creature in the Pride ring, including the Overlords. I'm interested in learning where he's getting his power from

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I took it as yeah, Alastor causes huge waves amongst the formerly human Demons, but not necessarily amongst the true demonic inhabitants (Like the Ars Goetia family).

He's a big shot overlord of the Sinners, and they're a step above many demonic families in general (Imps/Hellhounds), but they also can grow and weaken in strength more easily than other demons, so Alastor's meteoric rise is impressive for how sudden it was, not for him becoming uniquely more powerful than the other overlords on his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MJeff posted:

Okay, I'm only a few minutes into this video, it seems like a good video and I'm gonna watch the whole thing but I just need to say this lady CANNOT figure out what to do with her hands and it is very distracting.

You can tell she realized that was a weakness of hers because at some point she starts holding a cup or a mug. It's really noticeable in her first vids

MJeff posted:

Helluva Boss pilot owned. The commercial for IMP remains one of the funniest bits in the whole series and Moxxie being more exasperated with Blitz was funny, "ARE YOU loving FILMING US?!" after the song was funny.

"What the gently caress's insurance" still gets a solid laugh out of me