Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I liked this game as a kid. Mostly for dicking around with the vehicle building, admittedly.

Never did make a Kinetikos of my own, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Seeing this makes me wonder what would have happened if Banjo-X was actually developed and released rather than Nuts & Bolts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The heavens would have opened, nintendo would have closed in shame, and we would all enter into a new history in video games.

Or more likely given rare at this point and from what they put out here: we would have gotten yooka laylee sooner, a game that was clearly a labor of love with some cool levels and a crapton of gameplay flaws.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Nuts and Bolts is cool in theory, but the problem is the actual challenges it has you doing with the vehicles you make are all so boring.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think the writing's fine. I'm not going to take personal offense to them poking fun at their old games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey we're back!

On a rainy night two years after the defeat of the conniving witch Gruntilda, a giant drilling machine piloted by the evil witch's sisters wreaks havoc on Spiral Mountain, freeing Grunty from the hole in the ground she'd been trapped under ever since the end of the titular bird and bear's first adventure. Seeking revenge, Grunty interrupts Banjo and Kazooie's poker night, destroying their home and killing Bottles in the process before fleeing to the Isle o' Hags.

Following the success of 1998's Banjo-Kazooie, it was only natural that Rare would greenlight a sequel. Immediately after the release of the original title, Rare got right to work on Banjo-Tooie, working hard to refine and improve the foundation the first game laid out. Released in 2000 for the N64 and 2008 for the Xbox 360, Banjo-Tooie's levels are bigger and more expansive and there are even more moves and ways to scour the worlds to collect more and more Jiggies and notes! The game's scope is so massive, the poor N64 struggles to run it, at times! This is not an issue with the Xbox 360 port, however, although the smoothed out framerate does cause some desync issues of its own. Lots of appreciated quality-of-life features have been implemented as well, such as a few different fast travel systems and collected notes being recorded in the player's save file. As these QOL features apply to all versions, we will be playing the N64 version for this LP, as I did not want to buy an Xbox.

This will be a blind LP where I run through the game under the guidance of my co-commentators Artix and Silver Falcon. As a blind LP, it should hopefully go without saying but :siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:. Updates should ideally be twice-a-week, but no promises. You can follow me on Twitter for updates to this LP or other projects I might be working on while the service seemingly still exists.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hurray!

Was hoping this was gonna happen.

I like this one more than the first game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, that moment after you used the flight pax. It's like the series never paused.

This is a very fun game, but I prefer the tightness and organization of the design of the first game to this one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
:sickos:

Tooie is 10-15% too much game but I like it more than Kazooie I think. Have fun!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Banjo-Tooie is too big for its own good, I feel. It's not as extreme as DK64, but I still feel that there's too many collectibles, too many moves, too many overly involved 'sidequests' and whatnot.

Still a good game, but I feel a distinct step down in overall quality from B-K.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Your flying skills are still a massive shame; terrible even after all the practice from the first game!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
When I was a kid and first played Tooie, I felt like Milhouse waiting for the interminable intro to end. All I wanted to do was run around and collect stuff and what I got, instead, was so many cutscenes I didn't care about.

Returned it to the rental place before getting to the first world because they just wouldn't stop.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: Take a look at Banjo's shadow on the ground. It's shaped like him! The last game used a circular blot.

Heck, most N64 games do that. Rare went all out for this one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Good God. Am I right in thinking the first game came out two years before this one, like it says in the opening? A flipping quarter-century has passed between then and now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I like Tooie and its bigger levels better, but I understand why some don't. The levels are more variable in quality, though.

Music still slaps. The track we hear for three seconds at the very end of this video is one of my favourite tracks of all time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
As someone who's only played the 360 version, drat those pixels look goood

Banjo Tooie is both a far more impressive and far worse game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

20+ years since I played this...

...and I don't remember Cheato or fighting Klungo before you got into the game proper. Huh. Probably just didn't leave much impression in the end compared to everything else.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 15, 2023

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cythereal posted:

Banjo-Tooie is too big for its own good, I feel. It's not as extreme as DK64, but I still feel that there's too many collectibles, too many moves, too many overly involved 'sidequests' and whatnot.

Still a good game, but I feel a distinct step down in overall quality from B-K.

We'll see once we get there but honestly there's very few new moves, mostly just "here is some stuff you probably should have been able to do in the first game" QoL updates (one of the moves in the first level is probably the most glaring example). And while they are more spread out due to the levels being bigger, there's actually *significantly less* collectables per level. Notes now come in bunches of 5 instead of singles so that's down from 100 to 20, and Mumbo tokens have been replaced with a two-per-level collectable, with the only actual new addition being Cheato pages. I'm not gonna sit here and advocate for DK64 but if anything they should have had *more* collectables.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I don't think I ever actually finished Tooie. Couldn't hack the step up in complexity.

Have fun!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beartaco posted:

As someone who's only played the 360 version, drat those pixels look goood

Banjo Tooie is both a far more impressive and far worse game.

I should mention that this is technically not how the game looks on vanilla hardware! I'm using a gameshark code to remove one of the two layers of anti-aliasing that the N64 applies to basically everything so the game should look just a touch sharper than it would normally. I'd remove the other layer too if I could, but I did not opt to mod my N64 with one of those HDMI mods that has de-blur as an option, we're just on straight S-Video piped into a RetroTINK 5X for this ride.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh come on, early fuzzy blurry AA is an essential part of the N64 vibe.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Having both layers of the N64's hardware AA enabled would also hide the dithering artifacts we're seeing on things like the sky in the intro.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

sebzilla posted:

I don't think I ever actually finished Tooie. Couldn't hack the step up in complexity.

Have fun!

I confess I haven't either. I made it all the way to the final boss and couldn't figure out how to beat the last phase. Talk about stumbling at the finish line...

Really wish they'd put it on NSO so I could revisit it! I don't own an XBox.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It has just occurred to me that I could have bought a Series S or an Xbone for maybe about as much money as I spent on the EverDrive. I am genuinely unsure which would be a better buy. :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well now you can play Jiggies of Time on hardware when you're done with Tooie.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ChaosArgate posted:

I should mention that this is technically not how the game looks on vanilla hardware! I'm using a gameshark code to remove one of the two layers of anti-aliasing that the N64 applies to basically everything so the game should look just a touch sharper than it would normally. I'd remove the other layer too if I could, but I did not opt to mod my N64 with one of those HDMI mods that has de-blur as an option, we're just on straight S-Video piped into a RetroTINK 5X for this ride.

Wait, N64 games looking like muddy messes was a feature, not a limitation?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the N64 was the first console with anti-aliasing. We often don't really remember just how bad the aliasing was on the PSX, but being muddy but not having massive obvious jaggy lines on every edge was considered by many an improvement.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Such heavy anti-aliasing at those low resolutions is a bit overkill but having perspective-correct and filtered textures and a Z-buffer was a big advantage. There was usually none of that texture and polygon wobble you'd see on the PlayStation (and on the rare occasion there was some of that, like on the mountains in GoldenEye 007's Dam level, the AA hid it really well), so things just looked nice and solid despite the blurriness.

Quake on the N64 actually has an in-game toggle for one of the AA passes, and I wish more games would've done that.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tooie was my first Banjo game and going to the original after felt like rear end. Especially the note collection.

Tooie could've done with being a bit less game, but it's nowhere near as egregious as DK 64 was.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Artix posted:

We'll see once we get there but honestly there's very few new moves, mostly just "here is some stuff you probably should have been able to do in the first game" QoL updates (one of the moves in the first level is probably the most glaring example). And while they are more spread out due to the levels being bigger, there's actually *significantly less* collectables per level. Notes now come in bunches of 5 instead of singles so that's down from 100 to 20, and Mumbo tokens have been replaced with a two-per-level collectable, with the only actual new addition being Cheato pages. I'm not gonna sit here and advocate for DK64 but if anything they should have had *more* collectables.

Tooie, at least to me, has the same flaw that DK64 did, which isn't necessarily number of collectibles but the requirement for backtracking.

Kazooie has one tremendous strength. You can go into a level, do everything, come out and that level is done. The only time you ever have to backtrack is the Boggy race with the speed boots.

Areas can become easier if you've gone ahead (Mr. Vile), but they are not impossible.

In Tooie, as we'll see, you have to jump back and forth constantly between levels. Your first run through many will involve a lot of things you just can't do because you don't have moves.

I argue this leads to the perception of there being more collectibles because your mental load is a lot heavier. "I have to remember this area in x world and come back to it if I ever find y."

Further it weakens the game because sometimes you might perceive there to be a solution you have to come back for, when you've just not seen the right solution that's available.

A lot of the connectivity is pretty cool in some ways, but I've always favoured the system where you can just finish something and not worry about it going forward for most platform games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Going live a day early with this one because I'm about to hop on a 14 hour flight.

And here's a bonus video, with a peek of an idea I had for presenting the temple of Jiggywiggy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I see someone on the music team was a fan of Luigi Denza, going by that musical lick in the Bottle's household.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Artix posted:

Notes now come in bunches of 5 instead of singles so that's down from 100 to 20

Notes includes one 20-note treble clef every level, so it's actually down to 17.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

We're lucky that Grunty needs to wait for B.O.B. to charge, the length of time is strangely variable yet large.

Wait, we're not doing that anymore? Stop my posting gimmick then, I must.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

liquidypoo posted:

We're lucky that Grunty needs to wait for B.O.B. to charge, the length of time is strangely variable yet large.

Wait, we're not doing that anymore? Stop my posting gimmick then, I must.

Don't worry - I'll go and take up the crown;
Banjo needs rhymes to bring Grunty down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Quackles posted:

Don't worry - I'll go and take up the crown;
Banjo needs rhymes to bring Grunty down.

:colbert:

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 18, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm not the biggest expert by any means, but are Grunty's sisters speaking in trochaic tetrameter? That's what old Will used for the witches in Macbeth, and this dialogue feels similar.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

Tooie, at least to me, has the same flaw that DK64 did, which isn't necessarily number of collectibles but the requirement for backtracking.

Kazooie has one tremendous strength. You can go into a level, do everything, come out and that level is done. The only time you ever have to backtrack is the Boggy race with the speed boots.

Areas can become easier if you've gone ahead (Mr. Vile), but they are not impossible.

In Tooie, as we'll see, you have to jump back and forth constantly between levels. Your first run through many will involve a lot of things you just can't do because you don't have moves.

I argue this leads to the perception of there being more collectibles because your mental load is a lot heavier. "I have to remember this area in x world and come back to it if I ever find y."

Further it weakens the game because sometimes you might perceive there to be a solution you have to come back for, when you've just not seen the right solution that's available.

A lot of the connectivity is pretty cool in some ways, but I've always favoured the system where you can just finish something and not worry about it going forward for most platform games.
For me, the interconnectedness between levels is the best part! Once I realized that most levels have gates to other levels, that blew me away as a kid. I never expected a platform game to do that. And it makes for some really clever setups.

Different strokes, of course, but as a kid especially, I also didn't expect to even be able to solve everything immediately. Maybe a boss would kick my rear end, so I'd come back later with more health. Or different ammo types. Maybe I couldn't solve a puzzle so I'd go "you know what, I'll figure that out later". Maybe I would just wander through levels to enjoy the music, trying to find areas I hadn't yet to tick off the last jiggies. Backtracking and replaying was just extremely normal to me, and I think expecting to be able to 100% everything on the first go is a bit of a fallacy - it's like the compulsion to immediately do a no-kill full-stealth run of Dishonored or Metal Gear Solid or Hitman. Just because you know the game makes it possible to do so and you want to find out how! Now! Instead of first learning the mechanics and going with the flow. I am not immune to this, by the way, it's a tough challenge in game desing for sure.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The best thing is that Grunty was conciously rhyming and coming up with them on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Judge Tesla posted:

The best thing is that Grunty was conciously rhyming and coming up with them on the spot.

Grunty's rapping career was tragically ended early by the philistines of spiral mountain.