Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dragonlance was one of my earliest on-ramps into D&D too. Even at the time it was weird, boring, and long-winded compared to other YA genre fiction, but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Technically I'd played D&D before reading Dragonlance novels but only as a very small child being humored by relatives, and only an edition that was even then decades out of date. If not for that it would have been my entry point as well.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My onramp to D&D was Drizzt books. I made so many dual-wielding fighters as a kid...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I read the first Dragonlance trilogy and then The Twins one, but they were handed to me by my DM at the time after I'd already started playing D&D. Then we tried playing the Dragonlance campaign and he TPK'ed us because we got into an argument that annoyed him. He was the only actual adult at the table at the time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I read the first Dragonlance trilogy and then The Twins one, but they were handed to me by my DM at the time after I'd already started playing D&D. Then we tried playing the Dragonlance campaign and he TPK'ed us because we got into an argument that annoyed him. He was the only actual adult at the table at the time.

It doesn't sound like he was, to be honest.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Quick aside, we now have a Trad Games/TGR feedback thread. Swing on by if you have any input!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Pelgrane Press is going full steam ahead with AI art.

https://pelgranepress.com/2023/03/07/legions-of-carcosa-ai-art/

The forthcoming Legions of Carcosa is a freaky horror book, so Laws feels that freaky AI art is on brand.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

The forthcoming Legions of Carcosa is a freaky horror book, so Laws feels that freaky AI art is on brand.

"Artists are influenced by other things so it's okay to profit off stolen artwork" sure is a take.

Can't say I'm surprised but it doesn't stop me from being disappointed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CitizenKeen posted:

Seems more like a thin justification for not wanting to pay for artists. I hope people don't support this poo poo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the AI could gently caress things up in ways an artist may not even consider at first, but you know what lets you accomplish that? Hiring artists and having an AI trained exclusively off of their art do its thing. Doing it this way is just a bummer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh cool, a Carcosa book that's unethical in a different way

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The example they used looks like absolute dogshit, so if Laws is good having that represent his book he deserves what's coming to him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My 1500 word article about how AI art is fine actually and doesn't rip off creators has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my 1500 word article.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Between this and 13th Age, I think I'm done with Pelgrane.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lumbermouth posted:

The example they used looks like absolute dogshit, so if Laws is good having that represent his book he deserves what's coming to him.

Seriously, I know "it looks bad" isn't really the pertinent argument to take against the ethical flimsiness of AI art, but it all does just look like complete dogshit on top of everything else. There are people on Deviantart cranking out weird Poser fetish art that can make better looking stuff than that.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's a goddamn shame because Yellow King RPG is the evolution that I wanted to see in an eventual 2nd edition of Trail of Cthulhu, but I've also got all of my Cthulhu gaming covered by Chaosium and Golden Goblin right now.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I already know a number of graphic artists who have begun using AI as part of their workflow, and honestly that's going to have to become part of the norm going forward, because those lawsuits are actually not likely to succeed, and even if they do we're in the "Napster" phase of the technology, and God help anyone that's still clinging to the rocks when we reach the equivalent of iTunes, or Spotify in the technology's acceptance by the general public.

As someone that teaches at a university, we had this brief moment of panic with ChatGPT, but we're already finding ways to incorporate it into our coursework and shifting our assessment techniques because the tech is not going anywhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you train a model of the stuff on your own work, that seems completely ethical, though you would presumably want to keep that poo poo to yourself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
AI art and other tools aren't going anywhere, but currently it's going to stand out like a sore thumb compared to manual processes (see the Cities Without Number book). Like any piece of tech, you still need real artists to use these tools well and as it exists currently, they still have to do a lot of work on things to get them anywhere near presentable. Given the tone of that article, I do not expect Pelgrane to do that work.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Pelgrane Press has used Photoshop type filters on historical pictures as art for their Cthulhu stuff for a long time. It also looks bad but is cheap. Still, this is also a complete non starter for me and I liked the Yellow King RPG.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lumbermouth posted:

It's a goddamn shame because Yellow King RPG is the evolution that I wanted to see in an eventual 2nd edition of Trail of Cthulhu, but I've also got all of my Cthulhu gaming covered by Chaosium and Golden Goblin right now.
Pelgrane I am begging you to just print TYK ruleset as a generic system or do like Fear Itself 3e instead of in your weird digression into one GM one player Night's Black Agents adventure modules.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

It looks like someone forced Magritte to use Poser.

Once again, I don't have to worry about ethical consumption under capitalism because I have no desire to consume this garbage.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Hostile V posted:

Pelgrane I am begging you to just print TYK ruleset as a generic system or do like Fear Itself 3e instead of in your weird digression into one GM one player Night's Black Agents adventure modules.

What's good about the TYK ruleset?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

CitizenKeen posted:

What's good about the TYK ruleset?

Uses the push mechanics and Quickshock cards from Cthulhu Confidential for a party-based RPG. It also has a fantastic one-roll combat system with variable difficulties based on what the combat is meant to achieve (killing, driving away, escaping, etc.)

Trail has always been a little too micromanagey to fully enjoy it and streamlining point spends and depleting resources really worked for me.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, I know "it looks bad" isn't really the pertinent argument to take against the ethical flimsiness of AI art, but it all does just look like complete dogshit on top of everything else. There are people on Deviantart cranking out weird Poser fetish art that can make better looking stuff than that.

That reminds me, anyone know if Arc Dream stopped using Poser art? It's been a while since I picked up anything from them, but seeing it crop up in multiple Wild Talents books and just completely destroying them aesthetically was a real downer.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Parkreiner posted:

That reminds me, anyone know if Arc Dream stopped using Poser art? It's been a while since I picked up anything from them, but seeing it crop up in multiple Wild Talents books and just completely destroying them aesthetically was a real downer.

Now we get it from WOTC too!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Books having good art is so important because you're gonna be looking through those things for hours

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Whirling posted:

Books having good art is so important because you're gonna be looking through those things for hours

Look, D&D art being lovely is a long tradition and it's time we went back to those roots. Kudos to WotC for returning to tradition.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lumbermouth posted:

Now we get it from WOTC too!

What the gently caress is going on with that, uh... extremely pale pale drow's (?) left leg? :psyduck: Is he being yanked into the water by an invisible stalker? Is he dancing a jig? Why does this exist?

Seriously, what is this from, it's absolutely awful.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Apropos of nothing strictly tradgame related, but Clarksworld (the sci-fi/fantasy fiction magazine) had to shut down submissions because they were being bombarded with AI-generated entries and automated detectors designed to filter out AI-gen stuff aren't (according to them) reliable enough to work with acceptable accuracy yet. It's not so much a case of the submissions being hard to distinguish from the real thing as it is sheer volume which makes having to manually sift through the garbage into what's effectively a denial-of-service attack.

Most RPG work doesn't usually work on the submission of entries the same way, but I do wonder if eventually someone's going to try something with a storefront like DTRPG and/or if it would even be possible to do so.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kai Tave posted:

Apropos of nothing strictly tradgame related, but Clarksworld (the sci-fi/fantasy fiction magazine) had to shut down submissions because they were being bombarded with AI-generated entries and automated detectors designed to filter out AI-gen stuff aren't (according to them) reliable enough to work with acceptable accuracy yet.

My understanding from looking into it before is that current detectors have unacceptably high false positive and false negative rates. They're all done by just feeding in output from LLMs into another LLM so if the output of a new version of one of them differs even a bit they have a hard time with it and a lot of human writing is close enough to trip it up as well.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Kestral posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that, uh... extremely pale pale drow's (?) left leg? :psyduck: Is he being yanked into the water by an invisible stalker? Is he dancing a jig? Why does this exist?

Seriously, what is this from, it's absolutely awful.

It's worse -- the Tiefling on the left's tail is coming out of it's arm, while his eye is shining *through* the hood.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Apropos of nothing strictly tradgame related, but Clarksworld (the sci-fi/fantasy fiction magazine) had to shut down submissions because they were being bombarded with AI-generated entries and automated detectors designed to filter out AI-gen stuff aren't (according to them) reliable enough to work with acceptable accuracy yet. It's not so much a case of the submissions being hard to distinguish from the real thing as it is sheer volume which makes having to manually sift through the garbage into what's effectively a denial-of-service attack.

Most RPG work doesn't usually work on the submission of entries the same way, but I do wonder if eventually someone's going to try something with a storefront like DTRPG and/or if it would even be possible to do so.

I guess a lot of geniuses simultaneously had the bright idea that they could use the magic box to instantly hit it big as a writer without actually having to put in any work. Probably alongside a pile of journalists who were doing to so they could :siren: EXTRA! EXTRA! MAGAZINE ACCEPTS WORK WRITTEN BY AI! :siren:

I don't get how this poo poo is merely "a tool that people will have to get used to," it isn't something that makes it easier like a word processor or digital art tools but it's something that shits out a whole finished product based on a bit of text. Like at best the person using it is an ideas guy, not a writer or artist.

I'll take amateurish art, I'll take Poser poo poo, I'll take photos of action figures, hell I'll take filters over public domain photographs instead of stuff shat out by loving hacks who think writing a single sentence makes them an artist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would rather see unfinished black-and-white sketches by actual skilled artists. Looking through an artist's sketchbook is much more fun and more in the spirit of the hobby than this.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lumbermouth posted:

Uses the push mechanics and Quickshock cards from Cthulhu Confidential for a party-based RPG. It also has a fantastic one-roll combat system with variable difficulties based on what the combat is meant to achieve (killing, driving away, escaping, etc.)

Trail has always been a little too micromanagey to fully enjoy it and streamlining point spends and depleting resources really worked for me.
It also helps that you have a floating pool of points for the Technical/Knowledge Aptitudes you're good at and replenish that bigger pool instead of refilling them to the cap of the skill. You no longer have, like, Medicine 3, you have Medicine and you can choose to spend on Medicine for clues up to the size of your pool. It's a legitimately good change because there's a lot of Pelgrane scenarios where, due to context and story, a technical skill may be completely useless if it's not just used to build a point pool. Some Kind Of Cave Adventure's gonna be great for Geology but anyone with Astronomy might as well just get hosed so having those two things being stuff you could choose to spend under instead of carried resources is a good shift.

It's also Hard On Purpose to replenish technical skills and Pillars and other Sources of Stability and regaining mechanics is kind of, tricky for some players to grasp what those do and how often you refill, and TKY works well to supplant past systems but I do remember this part less clearly.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Most AI written material is very bland and generic, since it’s learning from a general base of writing which is mostly mediocre. This is why people feed it ridiculous prompts to force it to generate vaguely creative material. Less bland RPG supplements would be a good thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but if the creator isn't (or can't hire) a competent artist I'd rather just see lukewarm AI stuff.

There's certainly a path towards ethically training it on public domain images.

I've been on the fence about buying Sentinels of the Multiverse since I've heard about it. I love the idea, and heard nothing but great stuff, but it looks like poo poo.

Like, obviously automated plagiarism isn't the solution but there's probably a better option for everybody than taking the NO AI IMAGE PLEDGE.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

moths posted:

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but if the creator isn't (or can't hire) a competent artist I'd rather just see lukewarm AI stuff.
Like, obviously automated plagiarism isn't the solution but there's probably a better option for everybody than taking the NO AI IMAGE PLEDGE.

I'm firmly on the "bad art over stolen art" but I won't dig in to much, except

moths posted:

I've been on the fence about buying Sentinels of the Multiverse since I've heard about it. I love the idea, and heard nothing but great stuff, but it looks like poo poo.

I don't really like the art either, but I think that if they had other artists and not just the Questionable Content artist I'd complain less. I'd still prefer it to AI generated images.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gimme a nice big book of pure text if you can't afford an artist. I read novels all the time and they don't come with pictures, I can make do with the same in my RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Any game set before the 1910s has more than enough public domain images to draw from. Hell newspaper illustrations from the late 1800s would make great Call of Cthulhu art.