Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

zedprime posted:

Does anybody else see a pizza homunculus on the left, or do I need to go to therapy?

Uh....

You're monitor's not even plugged in, buddy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

zedprime posted:

Does anybody else see a pizza homunculus on the left, or do I need to go to therapy?

No I see it. It's very creepy

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No, pizza rules!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

zedprime posted:

It's a screaming pepperoni baby

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Terrible username

But accurate description of my two am Saturday shits

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

zedprime posted:

Looks like the corpse golem from that one atma cyoa thread

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I collect interesting cookbooks, and have one for you all, about the wonders of cooking with the microwave!

Liver Pate is right at your fingertips:

And Stroganoff

Feeling brisket, but don’t want to take out the smoker? Why not microwave it for 90 minutes?

And the pictures are just great

Pork loin so dry it looks like bread:

“Roast” goose that looks like plastic.

Whole red snapper

And for dessert

I’ve also got some more genuinely interesting ones, like an English translation of a 1930s Hungarian Inn’s cookbook, and a cook book that was clearly used to hell and back. Every spare inch is filled with newspaper clippings of recipes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Feeling brisket, but don’t want to take out the smoker? Why not microwave it for 90 minutes?

What in the everloving….

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:catstare:

I don't remember seeing microwave recipes that could be measured in hours. I guess I sort of assumed that they'd be burning themselves out or something at that point.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Captain Hygiene posted:

:catstare:

I don't remember seeing microwave recipes that could be measured in hours. I guess I sort of assumed that they'd be burning themselves out or something at that point.
Well it's only 5 minutes on high, followed by 90 on low.

Lowering the power on a microwave adjusts how often it's actually doing any work rather than moderating power output like an adjustable light switch.

/e: "Low" is ~10%, so only cycling on for a second every ten, or half a second every five, that sort of cycle.

stringless has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Mar 14, 2023

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4tIPFD7W3Q

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure my mom had that same microwave or one very similar to it. I don't think we ever used it though, mercifully.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I haven’t watched many Guga videos but has he always been channeling Chef John in his voiceovers?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I collect interesting cookbooks, and have one for you all, about the wonders of cooking with the microwave!

Liver Pate is right at your fingertips:

I somehow missed the word "cooked" in the ingredients list and was kind of losing it a little over the thought of just blitzing some raw bacon in the food processor with your microwaved livers and leaving it at that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This page is murder

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This page is murder

Probably time to nuke it

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

FFT posted:

Lowering the power on a microwave adjusts how often it's actually doing any work rather than moderating power output like an adjustable light switch.

This is not true in the case of Panasonic microwaves which have inverters that allow them to actually keep the microwave beam on, but have it contain less energy. As far as I know, Panasonic is the only one who does this.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Master Twig posted:

https://twitter.com/eagIesbetter/status/1634600334436827145

I'll have the mac and cheese, cheese on the side please. And your finest green beans. Hold the seasoning.

This is actually the VA, not Virginia, right!? This has to be hospital food

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That meat just looks so sad and dry, it should be all shiny and oozing grease.

:sad:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

This is not true in the case of Panasonic microwaves which have inverters that allow them to actually keep the microwave beam on, but have it contain less energy. As far as I know, Panasonic is the only one who does this.

Is that so? It is it just another America Vs the rest of the world thing? My filthy European microwave has a setting to set the wattage, and so does every other recent microwave I've used.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think blip switch microwaves are easier to make so I would imagine it depends how much you spend on your microwave.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Mar 14, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The thing is this book is probably based around a lower wattage microwave, probably in the 600-800 range as opposed to the 1000-1300 range we have today, so you'd probably destroy anything you tried cooking like that.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Captain Hygiene posted:

Probably time to nuke it
Can't, someone's making brisket.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That all reminds me, it's been a minute since I posted about MicroMeals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDzDukmSsE

The "whole raw chicken plated in tin foil" is definitely the star of the show for me, but don't sleep on the rest of their queasy, sweaty, grey recipes

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

steinrokkan posted:

Is that so? It is it just another America Vs the rest of the world thing? My filthy European microwave has a setting to set the wattage, and so does every other recent microwave I've used.
There are a number of brands with variable power inverter technology, it just won't be in the $70 special model. Of course, it's very well possible your microwave oven lets you select a wattage equivalent number and still achieves this by switching on and off, as "12 minutes at 750W" is language commonly used since long before the variable power technology was in any way widespread. I've not seen a variable power oven irl in my life, but over half of the ones I've seen let me "set the power" in Watts anyway.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is this book is probably based around a lower wattage microwave, probably in the 600-800 range as opposed to the 1000-1300 range we have today, so you'd probably destroy anything you tried cooking like that.

The oldest microwave I've ever used was a huge 1600watt beast from the late 70's to early 80's. I've always just assumed they had gone down in power over the years. Maybe that one was an anomaly or meant for commercial use.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've not seen a variable power oven irl in my life, but over half of the ones I've seen let me "set the power" in Watts anyway.

That's something I don't think I've ever seen. My current microwave let's me set a power level, but it's basically a percentage scale in 10% increments.

And the better question is why? I don't know that I've ever seen a modern (as in the last 10 years) recipe that uses a power scale at anything other than high (100%) or medium (50%), and even then, that's for melting chocolate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

if you gotta put a toothpick into food it's not food, it's a threat.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CzarChasm posted:

That's something I don't think I've ever seen. My current microwave let's me set a power level, but it's basically a percentage scale in 10% increments.

And the better question is why? I don't know that I've ever seen a modern (as in the last 10 years) recipe that uses a power scale at anything other than high (100%) or medium (50%), and even then, that's for melting chocolate.
The why is because if I have a 600W or a 1000W or a 1200W microwave and the bachelor chow packaging says 10 minutes in a common reference 750W microwave, I'm going to have to do that math anyway. And also have to remember the actual wattage of the oven in the first place.

I do have a microwave that expresses power in a percentage now and it's not nearly as useful.

It's possible nothing I'm referencing is common in the USA.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You gotta get a microwave that has its wattage on a label right by the door.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Schubalts posted:

You gotta get a microwave that has its wattage on a label right by the door.

My current one is 1150 watts and most microwaveable foods give you times by 1000/1100/1200 watts. I want a microwave that works as well as the auto-dry setting on my dryer. Just toss it in and hit a button.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Microwaves were a magic appliance back when they were new, but while people tried to figure out a bunch of ways to use them for cooking, none of them really caught on at large.

So it's mostly just a tool for thawing food and hamsters or for running specifically made-for-microwave food kits through.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mac and cheese loaf owns. Fite me.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

"Coated With Crumbs" gangtag, please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zedprime posted:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Americans figuring out microwaves, cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

von Braun posted:

Americans figuring out microwaves, cute

Look, it's hard when we don't have measurements that go that small. A "nanometer" sure, nerd, what is that in bald eagles