Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SplitSoul posted:

Thought I was close to the Gauss Shotgun, but turns out there's a whole level between "Friendly" and "Ally". :sigh:

Bloodied Gauss Shotgun is the most OP gun in the game, it's takes out most enemies in 1-2 shots with the right perks. I switch to other guns/builds often just to keep the game fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So I guess I kinda killed my fist fartbat. To be more precise, a shitload of super mutants ambushed me and as I respawned and ran for my DEATH BAG, I found them fighting one. I just sniped from afar with my nifty two-shot lever-action and only had to put down one super mutant.

It was not very whelming.

e: I forgot to use psycho :doh: I coulda done it in half the time I bet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All of those types of bonuses that sound super amazing on paper are additive of base damage, so no you probably wouldn't have gotten it done in half the time. Not saying they're not worth using, but don't expect Psycho to take your current damage and multiply it by 1.5 or whatever.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Is it even possible to get enough possum scout badges to buy all the plans? It looks like it would take 45 badges to get them all.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I attend an event, is corpse loot separate for every player? I noticed after an event no loot was disappearing from the corpses, so I'm assuming it is so - one more thing the game absolutely doesn't mention at all. What about teams? (Never been on a team.)

Gold scrap cant be made into gold bullion, right? (Not that I know what gold bullion is used for but I know it exists :D)

Bullion is used for certain vendors, it's the currency used primarily to unlock certain items/plans after they exit the season, but before they become available on the Atomic Shop.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is it even possible to get enough possum scout badges to buy all the plans? It looks like it would take 45 badges to get them all.

Yes. You can grind possum badges from Stings and Things, Operation Tidy and Campfire Tales, but IIRC they don't have a 100% chance of dropping as a reward, so it's time consuming and sucks; buy the plans that are important (backpack and mods) first before the cosmetics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leif. posted:

You can grind possum badges

Oh you can get more badges by re-doing the things? Neat.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Leif. posted:

Yes. You can grind possum badges from Stings and Things, Operation Tidy and Campfire Tales, but IIRC they don't have a 100% chance of dropping as a reward, so it's time consuming and sucks; buy the plans that are important (backpack and mods) first before the cosmetics.

Oof. I don't think I've received a single one from those thus far, though I haven't made a concerted effort yet. I went down the rabbit hole of doing all the exams and it got me thinking about these things again. Thanks.

I was wondering, I recently modded a marine chestpiece with asbestos lining so I couldn't be set on fire, but I realized the main place I would want that is Eviction Notice. Unfortunately, I have to wear PA there because the rad scrubber going down will wreck me otherwise. Would asbestos lining even make a difference against firestarters versus wearing power armor?

I guess it could at least make the molotovs in cultist areas less annoying.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

NofrikinfuN posted:

Oof. I don't think I've received a single one from those thus far, though I haven't made a concerted effort yet. I went down the rabbit hole of doing all the exams and it got me thinking about these things again. Thanks.
I have no idea what the drop percentage is but it's definitely feels like less than 50%. I don't find it worth grinding outside of Stings and Things; Op. Tidy doesn't pop often enough and Campfire Tales sucks to solo.

quote:

I was wondering, I recently modded a marine chestpiece with asbestos lining so I couldn't be set on fire, but I realized the main place I would want that is Eviction Notice. Unfortunately, I have to wear PA there because the rad scrubber going down will wreck me otherwise. Would asbestos lining even make a difference against firestarters versus wearing power armor?

I guess it could at least make the molotovs in cultist areas less annoying.

I don't bother with asbestos, as I run Fireproof perk on my builds already. For chest armor mods, I've found Buttressed, Deep Pocketed, and Ultra-light Weight generally to be the most important ones; maxing out your DR/ER, or giving you more carry weight to hold things like stims, chems, ammo, etc. tends to be more useful for me on my non-PA build.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I typically go deep pocketed or ultra light, but I apparently never learned those for marine torsos, so I figured it might be worth a shot. I also run the fire perk in all my builds, there isn't much else in the endurance category that interests me. I was mainly interested in the legendary effects anyway, it had overeaters and 75% chance to reduce damage by 15% when standing still, which seems like it could be pretty tanky overall. I wasted a ton of rerolls on the secret service stuff trying to get another overeaters piece before stumbling across this.

Plus, something about the look of the secret service armor was bugging me and I think it was the amount of flat surface area. Running it with a marine chest and a matching paint effect makes it look visually more interesting, not that it matters to anyone but me. :sweatdrop:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah, do what is fun for you. It's so trivially easy to make yourself functionally immune to damage with the right perks and legendary effects, that you can absolutely play Fashion 76 with your armor setup.

Sentinel's (75% when standing still) is IMO the best effect overall for ranged builds of any kind, since each piece individually stacks; Unyielding is probably the next best after that, and Overeaters is useful as well. If you've got a good combination of those effects, plus strong Perks like Dodgy, you could be wildly tanky in just about anything.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leif. posted:

Yeah, do what is fun for you. It's so trivially easy to make yourself functionally immune to damage with the right perks and legendary effects, that you can absolutely play Fashion 76 with your armor setup.

Sentinel's (75% when standing still) is IMO the best effect overall for ranged builds of any kind, since each piece individually stacks; Unyielding is probably the next best after that, and Overeaters is useful as well. If you've got a good combination of those effects, plus strong Perks like Dodgy, you could be wildly tanky in just about anything.

I run Dense on all my chest armors, being able to use grenades directly in your own face is super fun, Fireproof/Dense stack and the Scorchbeast screams are explosive, so you end up taking chip damage from them, instead of two volleys obliterating you. It's a HUGE QoL thing when you end up heading to the Bog for the end of the story quests.

My armor is currently a mismatched set of Uny/???/WWR, with the chemists backpack. It makes every event a breeze to clean up, because the weapons you loot scrap down to about the same weight in junk.

Stabilized mod for the arms is KING if you're using a scope for any reason, as adding it to both arms outright eliminates scope sway.

For the legs, it's entirely dealer's choice. Muffled/Sleek is good, Ultra-light is good, deep pocketed is good, cushioned is decent if you have another piece of fall reduction gear for 100% no-splat.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

has FO76 done anything to make a fist weapon build not feel like you're making the biggest mistake possible? haven't played in a while

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Scorchbeast screams are explosive

Well I'll just add that to the list of "things that would've been really loving cool to know" that aren't mentioned anywhere and don't make sense so you're not likely to figure it out yourself.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Patware posted:

has FO76 done anything to make a fist weapon build not feel like you're making the biggest mistake possible? haven't played in a while

Unarmed? Unarmed is great and always has been. It's no longer the most over powered build that exists (read: you can no longer one shot the Queen with it) but it's still perfectly viable. What exactly is your issue with it? Genuinely curious because Unarmed is really excellent.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well I'll just add that to the list of "things that would've been really loving cool to know" that aren't mentioned anywhere and don't make sense so you're not likely to figure it out yourself.

Unless you use grenades a lot, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm running a bloodied build and only use a Dense Chest Piece if there is a Volatile Daily OP or event. Fireproof and Born Survivor 1 do the job just fine.

If you can get your hands on a decent piece of armor with Explosive Damage Reduction or Sentinel, even better if it has both of them, there is no real reason to miss out on a Jetpack.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sensenmann posted:

Unarmed? Unarmed is great and always has been. It's no longer the most over powered build that exists (read: you can no longer one shot the Queen with it) but it's still perfectly viable. What exactly is your issue with it? Genuinely curious because Unarmed is really excellent.

maybe i just never had the build complete, my experience was always getting into an event and large men in power armor just hosing everything down instantly before i can touch anything

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Unless you use grenades a lot, I wouldn't sweat it.

How does me using grenades affect fartbat song doing explosive damage instead of radiation damage (which is what I assumed)?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Patware posted:

maybe i just never had the build complete, my experience was always getting into an event and large men in power armor just hosing everything down instantly before i can touch anything

That's no longer the case, so if you feel like it, give it a shot. If you need help with your build,

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How does me using grenades affect fartbat song doing explosive damage instead of radiation damage (which is what I assumed)?

I was more referring to Dense in general. Your own explosives can kill you if you aren't careful and Dense helps with that.

The screams, imo, don't do enough damage to justify a Dense chest piece over a Jetpacked one although if you have room in your inventory you can always carry one with you and swap it out if you need to. Dense doesn't hurt, if you have it, but from my experience it's really not needed.

The screams do explosive damage, the crop dust attack is radiation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

I was more referring to Dense in general. Your own explosives can kill you if you aren't careful and Dense helps with that.

I don't really carry explosives because whenever you throw one, the targets just... walk away from them before they detonate, about 100% of the time.

I guess if I could throw them literally at my feet, that would work.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't really carry explosives because whenever you throw one, the targets just... walk away from them before they detonate, about 100% of the time.

I guess if I could throw them literally at my feet, that would work.

Grenade users typically run Demo Expert and Grenadier as well, and maybe Fire in the Hole for the throwing arc, a bad throw can seriously annihilate them due to the increased blast radius and damage increase.

A good grenade build, assuming they know that equipped Instigating weapons boost the damage even more, needs 3 Nuka grenades to clear all of West Tek. :)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sensenmann posted:

Grenade users typically run Demo Expert and Grenadier as well, and maybe Fire in the Hole for the throwing arc, a bad throw can seriously annihilate them due to the increased blast radius and damage increase.

A good grenade build, assuming they know that equipped Instigating weapons boost the damage even more, needs 3 Nuka grenades to clear all of West Tek. :)

That is by far the dumbest bug ever, and I love it so so SO much, especially because of WestTek.

Spend an hour farting around gathering stuff to make Brain Bombs, Cran Relish, and a bunch of Nuka Grenades, wait for a Rad Rumble so tryhards give you free lunchboxes and scout banners, then poopsock 10+ levels per hour annihilating Westek. If you leave for a minute, everything respawns, so you can get 20+ runs per hour pretty easily. Even though it's 100 SCORE per 10k exp, every time you do westek you get ~300-400 score, depending on a few things. The ultra sweaty ones can hit Rank 100 within a day if you grind hard enough.

I've personally farmed up about 500 grenades specifically so when the double EXP or double score weekend rolls around, I can just hit 100 in an afternoon.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That is by far the dumbest bug ever, and I love it so so SO much, especially because of WestTek.

Spend an hour farting around gathering stuff to make Brain Bombs, Cran Relish, and a bunch of Nuka Grenades, wait for a Rad Rumble so tryhards give you free lunchboxes and scout banners, then poopsock 10+ levels per hour annihilating Westek. If you leave for a minute, everything respawns, so you can get 20+ runs per hour pretty easily. Even though it's 100 SCORE per 10k exp, every time you do westek you get ~300-400 score, depending on a few things. The ultra sweaty ones can hit Rank 100 within a day if you grind hard enough.

I've personally farmed up about 500 grenades specifically so when the double EXP or double score weekend rolls around, I can just hit 100 in an afternoon.

Yeah, it's great. Only time I ever use Grenades is during Double XP weekends. All other times I dump or sell them cause they weigh too much for my taste and I don't want to have Ordinance Express slotted in all the time. No room. :v:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The RNG gods smiled on me today after a terrible performance against Earle. I figured I should try to get an AA chainsaw and my first roll came out as an AA/40% power attack. I thought, "drat, that went well, I might as well try to replace my 2 shot/Limb Damage handmade." and first roll was an AA/Explosive that outperforms the 2 shot handily.

Moral of the story? You will get pity AA mods if you fight Earle, I guess??

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

They fixed Earle? The last 3 times I tried once it crashed and the other two his health bar would simply freeze at some point and he would be invincible until I left.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

We managed to kill him, but it took forever. I blew several hundred ultracite rounds with my Cold Shoulder and broke my chainsaw about four times. I've been told you can cripple his legs but no amount of firing on them did poo poo that I could see. He also isn't affected by cryo at all. I'm hoping to have anti-armor handy next time, to see if that makes a difference.

Overall, the encounter isn't nearly worth it right now. The Queen and Titan are more enjoyable and have better rewards. I got a cursed shovel and a vendetta for my trouble. :argh:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The Titan is fun, I just wish more people realized you've gotta melee away the ultracite shards around it each 'round' before it'll take any damage.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

The Titan is fun, I just wish more people realized you've gotta melee away the ultracite shards around it each 'round' before it'll take any damage.

I did a mutated resilient jamboree last night and woof newer players don't read the things that tell them to use melee. Even a gun bash will do, but the two guys with me just absolutely did not get the memo. I ended up doing 99% of the work and couldn't keep up in the later waves with poison gas everywhere and no AP to even run my chainsaw any more. It finally broke right around the time the last still gave out.

These events don't scale to the number of players in them, do they? I feel like even with an auto grenade launcher eating everything's health I would have been hard pressed to clean up all the enemies in melee. I think I had over 200 units of gulper slurry this time, without butchers bounty.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I've done it solo with a Vamp AA, it's doable but I definitely prefer to not hop around like a moron axing poo poo into the void.

It's situations like that why I always have a generous helping of Canned Coffee in my inventory.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

If I accidentally placed a C.A.M.P. object inside a game world object, is there any way to get rid of it? I can't seem to target it from any angle. It's a fire inside a dumpster, incidentally.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

You could try placing something down where the dumpster is and see if it'll despawn like a lot of the world clutter will in the build menu.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wee Bairns posted:

You could try placing something down where the dumpster is and see if it'll despawn like a lot of the world clutter will in the build menu.

Good idea, I'll try that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
can't you also hold down the "pick up and move" key to pick up a group of connected things, i.e. you could place something like a rug near enough to the other object to get them to be considered connected and then do this with the rug

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm out of Internet so I've been playing Fallout 4 instead of doing chores. I could SWEAR there's stuff in the game I never encountered before. Like someone behind a wall saying "a loving mini gun!?" when I was emptying out the federal stockpile tunnels with a minigun. And the robot raider boss commenting on my tin can when I showed up in power armour to murder them.

Was I just never playing any attention the previous 40 000 hours I played the game :psyduck:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Leif. posted:

Bullion is used for certain vendors, it's the currency used primarily to unlock certain items/plans after they exit the season, but before they become available on the Atomic Shop.

I finally got a couple badges out of these events, thanks for the tip. They are simple enough to keep doing, particularly if I stop scrapping all the bug parts and just pull everything from the stash and pick up radroach meat on site.

I've also started hitting up BIV daily since lead champagne has been showing up in challenges. I've picked up a couple other recipes as part of his missions, but is lead champagne learnable? I got one as a reward, but I'm hoping to stock some in my vendor on challenge days.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Does anyone know who sells mod plans for the gauss minigun?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Does anyone know who sells mod plans for the gauss minigun?

Pretty sure this is the raiders at max reputation.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

NofrikinfuN posted:

Pretty sure this is the raiders at max reputation.

Ahhh ok I think I did read that somewhere and forgot. Thanks.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Ahhh ok I think I did read that somewhere and forgot. Thanks.

No problem. I only remembered because I got the initial plan from Minerva and needed to finish grinding reputation before I could modify it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I finally got a couple badges out of these events, thanks for the tip. They are simple enough to keep doing, particularly if I stop scrapping all the bug parts and just pull everything from the stash and pick up radroach meat on site.

I've also started hitting up BIV daily since lead champagne has been showing up in challenges. I've picked up a couple other recipes as part of his missions, but is lead champagne learnable? I got one as a reward, but I'm hoping to stock some in my vendor on challenge days.

Farming badges and the Camden park claim token can be a good way to get caps. The Soiled Mr. Fuzzy Outfits can sell for a hefty sum simply because people don't want to grind up the 450 it takes to get the full set. Note that it takes A LONG TIME to farm the tokens, so don't plan on getting into the business just yet. Just do the Camden dailies whenever you can and you'll be fine.

The badges are good for the backpack plans. Lots of people don't want to farm for them, they buy the plans. Each plan usually goes for 20k+.

There are 2 Lead Champagne recipes you can learn. Bellini and Mimosa. Both can drop from Biff, both have a 10% chance, so they are rare but not as outlandishly rare as some of the 0.008% plans that exist. ;)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I just found out building from a blueprint counts toward the "build x walls and roofs" challenges. I recently blueprinted a cabin and knocked it out in a single action.

Come to think of it, do they ever really tutorialize blueprinting? I feel like I wouldn't even know it was possible if I didn't see it mentioned on message boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

They probably don't bother with a tutorial or explaining it because half the time it's broken as gently caress, sadly.
I have a couple of different blueprints that I use very regularly. It's super handy to have a prepared blueprint with every collection device, a few turrets and a stash/scrap/ammo that I can place down on a captured workshop and have it passively collect poo poo while I'm in another part of the map. But even though it's base is 1x1, it's still finicky as hell as to whether it will let me place it or not. And many times it's in red when I place it, not the blue 'you can place here' (which works about half the time with luck).