Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm just surprised at how many people who drive cars need to be fiddling with things constantly that all the steering wheel controls are required. I set the volume on the radio and just skip the odd track. Maybe adjust the temperature 2/3 times.

I guess it comes back to the old what do you actually need in a car? question. I am apparently very easy to please in that regard.

Add in cruise control and you've already accounted for most of the buttons.

Personally 'lane keep off' is the most important one to have easily accessible as no one has come up with a system that is reliable on the sort of roads that I do much of my driving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I dunno I just hold the steering wheel to make sure I stay in my lane...? It's not too difficult a task seeing as I'm there sat in the seat an' all :v:

I feel like most options in cars are added for people who don't actually want to be driving?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lane keeping is an extra set of protections I turn on if I'm making a long trip on a highway. It's by no means a make or break feature for me, but it is nice to have as an extra layer and it does do some important things to help me pay attention. I'm always one to use turn signals when I change lanes, but this ENFORCES the use of turn signals to change lanes or it will fight back. That works in conjunction with the blind spot monitoring where if turn signals are initiated while something is in the blind spot monitoring zone, I'm alerted beyond the indicator in the mirror.

It's not necessary and it's not driving for me, but it does serve as extra protection that a moment of focus loss doesn't result in something bad happening. That's the point of these assist systems. Humans aren't perfect and having the assist backup to enforce behavior can cover the gaps.

I like the way my Golf does it. One button press to see all the assist features pop up in the display with checkboxes and you can check and uncheck whatever you like.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I dunno I just hold the steering wheel to make sure I stay in my lane...? It's not too difficult a task seeing as I'm there sat in the seat an' all :v:

I feel like most options in cars are added for people who don't actually want to be driving?

I agree most of the time but there have definitely been times I’ve really enjoyed lane keep and adaptive cruise control. It really does reduce fatigue on long mostly-straight drives. Also, I live in a crowded city and am extremely excited to have traffic jam assist on my incoming vehicle.

I looooove driving and these features that I can use in lovely annoying situations help keep that love alive. Also keeps me calmer about people’s lovely driving when it’s the car taking the cognitive load of some asshat who can’t keep a constant speed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I dunno, I just hold my foot at the correct throttle position to make sure I maintain my speed for hours on end...?

It's a fatigue-reducer on long drives, just like cruise control.

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen on US-52 who thinks cruise control is for wimps...

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 14, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The problem is LKA usually defaults to 'On' (probably for NCAP reasons) so having a convenient way to turn it off is important.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ford's CoPilot 360 can be lock toggled on and off plus configurable whether you want it to just rumble the steering wheel at you or actually take over steering back into lane. Although I do wish the active Lane Centering could be enabled at any time instead of just when cruise control is active.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

When I sold auto parts, I had a customer who had no clue whatsoever how to work their vehicle’s headlights and they refused to learn because such knowledge was just completely unattainable to them they said.

I’m really happy that most modern USDM cars have Automatic mode as default for headlights.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I can bitch how often I see fog lights ran at night instead of proper low beams as well, but that’s a different thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If fog lights are run without low beams than someone did something to alter their car (assuming you are in the US) as no USDM car is setup to be able to turn on fog lights without the main headlights and it's illegal in most states.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
you made me go outside and check and I only need the parking lamps to turn on foglights

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bull3964 posted:

If fog lights are run without low beams than someone did something to alter their car (assuming you are in the US) as no USDM car is setup to be able to turn on fog lights without the main headlights and it's illegal in most states.

I don't think that's true. It would kinda defeat the purpose of fog lights as you don't want your normal low beams on in foggy conditions as the fog backscatters enough light to adversely affect your vision of the road surface. You want the lights low down so that you avoid the backscatter and better see the road surface that's now illuminated.

Although I wouldn't put it past legislation to go against physics and reason.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I can turn on the fogs on my 07 Prius without any other lights on as far as I know.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I've never owned or driven a car that required more than the parking lights on to use the fogs.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My 07 WRX requires the low beams for the fogs, I always thought it was a regulation too. :shrug:

On a related note I'm glad that recent cars seem to turn on the taillights when the DRLs come on, or maybe they're just better at enforcing full automatic lights. I've seen more than one mid-00's car on the highway at night with DRLs and no tails. I do wish I had a way to signal to other people (i.e. stop sign courtesy) without using the high beams though, the CX-30 won't even let you turn off the headlights at night unless the transmission is in Park.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm pretty sure my Accord req'd the low beams on to turn on the fog lights. That's the only car I've owned with them and I guess I always thought factory fog lights are pretty much an aesthetic thing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My suzuki swift (MY2005) requires DRL on to turn on fogs, no lights will disable the button.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

I can turn on the fogs on my 07 Prius without any other lights on as far as I know.

the number of uber/lyft drivers cruising around at night with nothing but fog lights on would seem to confirm this

:argh:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

This conversation has made me realize I have no idea what purpose parking lights serve.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

WTFBEES posted:

This conversation has made me realize I have no idea what purpose parking lights serve.

At least on my swift, i'm supposed to turn on the first step of the lights stalk when driving during the day as a visual warning to incoming drivers that my car is operational and maneuvering. Modern cars have it always turned on, older cars like mine require user input.
The Italians word for that step is "luci di posizione", which can be translated to position or navigation lights.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 15, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have learned from too much time watching Jay Leno (who in particular seems to know perhaps the most of any on screen car personality I’ve seen besides Doug DeMuro or someone routinely employed by a terrestrial TV network) I think they said something to the effect of parking lights, a few decades ago (think 80s, 90s, 00s models in Europe) were generally a legislated idea for if you were pulled over on side of road, you could use the PARK or DRL type lights on front and rear, dim tail light usually. Say, a one way road and you were waiting for a friend, you could flip on the PARK mode and just enough light would come on to be visible to motorists front and behind.

I think in that time period there were some cool folks working for whatever the equivalent Euro transit agency is, they tried legislating some interesting ideas haha. Depending on model things like DRLs, fog lamps front and rear, certain headlight designs, and I’m sure many other restrictions. Fun to learn about more from history and their vestigial appendages today.

I use the rear fog lamp in my 2013 Audi A4 routinely (once/twice per month I’d say?) to, I perceive, slightly reduce the chance of rear end collision in severe weather. I live in a dense city where people still drive fast in unsafe weather. Nice to have. It is also a very very bright LED lol, and looks cool. (Only in right conditions never blinding someone with it, always mindful)

Here is a link to explain PARK lights more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front

It harkens back to the idea why cars have the lights they do in the positions they do, as well. Aviation has similar position marking requirements and maritime I guess too. Helps greatly with identifying speed and direction of movement as objects are moving.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 15, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It was/is also normal in Europe to have no generous space for parking lots and you’re more likely to be stuck parking on the street or half up on the sidewalk like in Germany.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

dissss posted:

The problem is LKA usually defaults to 'On' (probably for NCAP reasons) so having a convenient way to turn it off is important.

This is one nitpick I have with my car’s safety setup (CX-30). There’s exactly one button that turns off all of the fancy assist features at once. To turn off individual features, you have to dive into the infotainment to toggle lane departure warning, lane keep assist, disable the radar, et cetera.

I like using lane departure warnings on long highway drives, because the vibrating wheel works well as a virtual rumble strip. But I don’t like it in city driving or on back roads. I wish I could tell it to turn on when cruise is enabled, or just have a button to enable it on the dash.

Mazda’s Lane Keep Assist doesn’t do centering, it just nudges you back if it detects going over the line, so I have it turned off. I’m not really a fan of them, especially the one on Subarus which seems to intervene too early for my taste.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Infinotize posted:

It was/is also normal in Europe to have no generous space for parking lots and you’re more likely to be stuck parking on the street or half up on the sidewalk like in Germany.

If you are not in a conventional parking space in EU, you are supposed to put the hazards on during the (temporary) stop. Using the position lights for that is something that i've never saw in my driving license books or in real life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlowBloke posted:

If you are not in a conventional parking space in EU, you are supposed to put the hazards on during the (temporary) stop.

The hazard lights are for emergencies, not parking. You can't just park illegally and put on the hazard lights to make it ok.

Lots of people use them as "I can park anywhere" lights, though. Especially delivery drivers.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I like how Amazon drivers in my neighborhood get a pass.
People want their poo poo and they want it delivered to their door.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

The hazard lights are for emergencies, not parking. You can't just park illegally and put on the hazard lights to make it ok.

Lots of people use them as "I can park anywhere" lights, though. Especially delivery drivers.

It's not a get out of jail card, just that if you are static in the carriageway, you are supposed to put the hazards on, be it for a malfunction or an impromptu stop. Doing an illegal parking without the hazards on will lead to get double dipped (illegal park + stoppage without markings) in multiple countries AFAIK.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The latest fad with delivery drivers here is to have your hazards on, crawling along at half the speed limit while staring at your phone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

This is one nitpick I have with my car’s safety setup (CX-30). There’s exactly one button that turns off all of the fancy assist features at once. To turn off individual features, you have to dive into the infotainment to toggle lane departure warning, lane keep assist, disable the radar, et cetera.

I like using lane departure warnings on long highway drives, because the vibrating wheel works well as a virtual rumble strip. But I don’t like it in city driving or on back roads. I wish I could tell it to turn on when cruise is enabled, or just have a button to enable it on the dash.

Mazda’s Lane Keep Assist doesn’t do centering, it just nudges you back if it detects going over the line, so I have it turned off. I’m not really a fan of them, especially the one on Subarus which seems to intervene too early for my taste.

At least on the Mazdas the stuff stays off when you turn it off. I've heard of some cars where LKA/LDW turns on automatically on every startup. I paid for this car, I should be allowed to set it up how I want.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

At least on the Mazdas the stuff stays off when you turn it off. I've heard of some cars where LKA/LDW turns on automatically on every startup. I paid for this car, I should be allowed to set it up how I want.
:hmmyes: with the sole exception of, specifically, the speedometer on the HUD. Everything else, including everything else on the HUD, stays off. The speedometer comes back on every time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, I definitely appreciate when things stay off.

The HUD is my favorite feature of the car and I sorely miss it now when I get into something else. They should let it stay off when you turn it off, because almost all other features in the car work that way.

If only they’d backport the map directions for CarPlay from the CX-50. The Mazda nav will show directions, but… eh.

When I was in Washington I was given a Chrysler Pacifica as a rental car. While I wouldn’t own one personally, it did a lot of things right. One of them was a series of buttons on the dash for all the safety features (lane keeping, parking sensors, and so on). It did other things wrong (not a fan of using the LCD for turning on the seat heaters) but when I was in an unfuamiliar car it was great to just turn things off with one touch.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

For those of you who have things like radar sensors in the bumper, 360 degree camera functions, and LKA/LDW etc does the car completely freak out when its winter time and half of it is covered in ice,snow, salt and dirt?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kraftwerk posted:

For those of you who have things like radar sensors in the bumper, 360 degree camera functions, and LKA/LDW etc does the car completely freak out when its winter time and half of it is covered in ice,snow, salt and dirt?

My Ford throws and error with the radar system saying it's blocked by snow/mud or whatever and disables the sensors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

yes

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah, I was driving my Tacoma a few weeks ago and ice/slush was building up on the grille and sensor and it shut down the radar cruise, accident avoidance stuff and put up a warning on the screen saying "clean the snow off the sensor gently caress teeth".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I was driving my Tacoma a few weeks ago and ice/slush was building up on the grille and sensor and it shut down the radar cruise, accident avoidance stuff and put up a warning on the screen saying "clean the snow off the sensor gently caress teeth".

Is gently caress teeth a technical term? I'm not familiar.

Our Kia will illuminate warning lights when it can't see and turns off all the active safety and convenience features, I've seen it in snow or heavy rain.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Is gently caress teeth a technical term? I'm not familiar.

Emergent AI early 2000s internet insult generation, right in your car

My washer fluid is low C O C K W H I S T L E

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kraftwerk posted:

Florida here so no snow but my F-150 driver assist will turn off (with warning sounds and message) if it's raining too hard. It does the same if the sensors are limited by other reasons (like sun glare in the forward camera).

It also won't engage at all if I turn on the "Rain/Snow" driving mode. Even in dry weather.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Monkey Fracas posted:

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

gently caress teeth is actually a 1990s term from my highschool.