Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1633729149528608768?t=uy4iFc7dbOLmK9ujq01zSw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well yes the point is Zoe is great because she just the best, and Cassidy is great because she is a garbo, but also has a super cool design and so much room to improve (in a Final Fantasy/Disney Isekai triple crossover fanfiction).

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
*so much room to be completely vindicated.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

We got called out.

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1635865765592068096

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I apologize for nothing!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Scississors.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Next bribe should be for the Nobody that will join Organization XIII. Named Saycxids.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It’s everything I ever could’ve hoped for. :allears:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm thinking more Iona as Pokemon champion of Paldea, or something like that. There's also a quest thread on Sufficient Velocity based on PMMM that I wouldn't mind a rendition of the OC main.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Two blades that don't connect but are held like scissors just for style is on brand for both Cassidy and KH.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

You should actually click that link. The embedded twitter preview hides something.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-12

This calls for knife fights

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Okay place your bets folks
  • They're exes
  • They're long-standing professional rivals
  • They never met before their clients teamed up but immediately hated each other
  • They're putting it on to hide their secret affair from the kids
  • Managers are very territorial and need to be introduced to each other carefully to avoid a fight
  • They get along fine and are just annoyed they now have to have a pokemon battle

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tenebrais posted:

• They're exes
  • They never met before their clients teamed up but immediately hated each other
  • Managers are very territorial and need to be introduced to each other carefully to avoid a fight
  • They get along fine and are just annoyed they now have to have a pokemon battle

All the above, somehow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

• They're exes
I think they are just rivals but using each others first name does still open up option 1.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
He was her manager, or part of her support crew, when she was a Magical Girl.

Or vice versa.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-09

so they presumably disagreed about something

Leila Nasri (her surname is used in the older tags) seems to promote HP's media presence intensely, whereas Arthur is suggested to manage quite a raft of teams, doesn't follow individual members all that closely, and might be open to just writing off what was never a A-lister media career anyway (for quite logical reasons that one might suggest to Undine: even if she does want to go out still MG'ing, she might want to take her final years until natural retirement taking it easy). Speculation based on a few pages at most, of course, but it seems like the obvious point of disagreement.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 19, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-13

Undine gets to be the total dork for once

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
She just wanted to dress up

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I still feel like this will end in disaster. I get that they want to take away the power Goops has in secrecy, which is honestly smart, but launching into this news, live, without professional coaching, without letting their agents or the magical girl agency thing know? They either cause a mass panic, tank their own reputation by coming across as unstable, or both. Probably both.

But it's also such a believable mistep from these characters in this situation. You can see the logic they are following. A+ anxiety inducer in the reader!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page, by the way:
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-14

Obsessed with those posters in the background. The left poster has a signature, presumably the signature of the actress in the poster. The right poster has two signatures, so not only did that actress sign it but so did the shark

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Do we know they're talking about revealing hoops truth? They brought up bringing more people in, but that could be something they're doing separately, and the thing they're talking about on this page is revealing that they're dating.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Panel 2 is real good, love the art in this comic :allears:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Do we know they're talking about revealing hoops truth? They brought up bringing more people in, but that could be something they're doing separately, and the thing they're talking about on this page is revealing that they're dating.

Both at the same time but “hey also we’re smooching” overwhelms the reveal of Goops in the news cycle and they’re just left annoyed and confused.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly, I am still worried about the thing that was motivating Cassidy: That Undine was not being a good victim. Of course, there was the jealousy that compounded it, but I do not believe that it came from nowhere. I can't help but feel it is an unstated, simmering sentiment amongst the shittier people in the city; Heck, in real life there are people that hate other people for daring to move on from tragedy, and god help you if you aren't perfect. I am fearing that this will cause that sentiment to boil over.

That said, now that i have it written down, I may be projecting.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly, I am still worried about the thing that was motivating Cassidy: That Undine was not being a good victim. Of course, there was the jealousy that compounded it, but I do not believe that it came from nowhere. I can't help but feel it is an unstated, simmering sentiment amongst the shittier people in the city; Heck, in real life there are people that hate other people for daring to move on from tragedy, and god help you if you aren't perfect. I am fearing that this will cause that sentiment to boil over.

That said, now that i have it written down, I may be projecting.

I don't know what to think. So far, every character that has acted in a villainous or antagonist way has had a motive. Cassidy and the girl harassing Zoe genuinely believed they were justified that the other person was doing something bad. Goops is so far the main villain, but she seems to believe she is breaking down a system that deserves to be destroyed, no matter the means.

I guess that one reporter that wouldn't take no for an answer was the closest thing?

Everyone else we have seen has been as level-headed as one can be in their situation.

But also!

We haven't really seen what non-magical people outside of our protagonists' social spheres think. Everyone we have seen has been touched positively by Undine and/or Kokoro or is in general trying to do their part to keep the magical girl system going as well as it can because they believe in it.

Parents of the magical girls we've seen so far: Varying levels of worried and proud, but ultimately on their kids' corner even when they don't want them to fight.

Zoe's relatives that were saved from eyesmouth monster: eternally grateful.

The staff at the Cat café: HP is a great client and a good person outside of her magical girl duties, they like her.

The media/reporters: They just want that scoop! We don't know their hearts.

Magical Girl agents: They probably would choose a different job if they hated magical girls?

Tessa's normie classmates: They think magical girls are cool? But are just busy being normal kids.

Mark (was that his name? Nico the rat's human buddy): An outsider that snuck into the city? He can see the system is rotten, but he pities the magical girls, doesn't hate them.

The fan letters Undine received were vetted, so not impartial.

Who knows what Joe Random from the store that keeps getting destroyed in fights thinks.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

One other thing to be concerned about is the government that we know covers things up to try and keep the image of magical girls squeaky clean. Granted, we only have HP and Rue's perspectives on that and neither of them is exactly unbiased, but I have to imagine they'll have some reaction to the existence of a magical girl killer being announced on live TV.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

One other thing to be concerned about is the government that we know covers things up to try and keep the image of magical girls squeaky clean. Granted, we only have HP and Rue's perspectives on that and neither of them is exactly unbiased, but I have to imagine they'll have some reaction to the existence of a magical girl killer being announced on live TV.

Mingxing watching the broadcast rubbing her temples: You could have at least brought me on, girls

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

Yeah that'll be interesting. The result/fall out of this will definitely set the tone for the rest of the comic. Though I think the fact that the comic is very character driven and that a major government/public vs undine arc would probably be a distraction from the story as we know it so far (and kinda trite to be honest) it probably won't be a major focus.

But that doesn't mean there won't be some kind of ramifications for doing this. Even if it might be a one off thing like an unpleasant interaction with someone or being scolded by a government official and/or Mingxing or whatever. Then it's back to Undine dealing with her stuff, Tessa/Goops dealing with their stuff, etc etc.

Though this comic already had one radical shift in tone, so it's not safe to assume that anything is impossible.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This might be the catalyst for that MG focused religion that's been mentioned but mostly off to the side of things entering the plot.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Arthur don't fight over custody of the children in front of them they will sense your weakness Arthur; your absent gaydar has already earned you their bemused indifference Arthur.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
They should swap managers to see what it's like, like a reality show.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nasri and Undine would both act like adults and get along fine.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
:siren: New Strip is Up :siren:

Oh, you sweet summer child, If you're revealing Goops publicly, you're about to rock society with an unprecedented revelation the morning after the Barriers went down early. You're getting mobbed and/or mandatorily debriefed/interrogated after this.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

maltesh posted:

:siren: New Strip is Up :siren:

Oh, you sweet summer child, If you're revealing Goops publicly, you're about to rock society with an unprecedented revelation the morning after the Barriers went down early. You're getting mobbed and/or mandatorily debriefed/interrogated after this.

Since they're going to transform for the cameras, maybe she means after they drop that bombshell, they can magical girl jump out of there to a place she knows where they can hide from the government, the shadow government, the press, the crowds, their parents, their managers and Mingxing? It could be code for 'I have a bomb shelter we can use until it's safe?', heh.

Curtana fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 22, 2023

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Have they given any indication that the "big thing" isn't just them announcing that not only are they teaming up, but they're dating?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Steelion posted:

Have they given any indication that the "big thing" isn't just them announcing that not only are they teaming up, but they're dating?

The only direct indication is the last scene before this was Undine talking about telling the public about Goops. So while it's not a confirmation the timing does make it seem likely that it's going to be what happens here.

Also like in terms of advancing the story, announcing they are a team now and/or dating to the public doesn't really change anything for the main cast. However announcing that there's a murderous magical girl out there mercing people (and also maybe wants to destroy the city) on the other hand is a significant escalation that's going to have some sort of repercussions on the main cast. It would be weird to dedicate a lot of time to a scene like this, and then not have it matter to the story at all. Though there's certainly other ways this scene could impact Undine/Kokoro so maybe something else could happen.

Also Kokoro asking Undine if she wants to do something nice after this right as they go in to do the thing is definitely a red flag. I have a feeling they might have to wait a little bit for that date if poo poo is going to hit the fan here.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We all know how the news cycle works, Goops being revealed will be buried as the interviewer moves on to grilling them about their personal lives and that’s all anyone will cover until the next bit of juicy gossip.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Bussamove posted:

We all know how the news cycle works, Goops being revealed will be buried as the interviewer moves on to grilling them about their personal lives and that’s all anyone will cover until the next bit of juicy gossip.

This is sort of what I'm wondering - if it's going to be basically glossed over/ignored by a largely uncaring public that's been desensitized to lovely things happening/partly influenced by the news framing it as nothing (gee doesn't that sound familiar?), or perhaps the crazy ramblings of a bunch of dumb traumatized kids who don't know what they're talking about. Might be on tape delay and never shown to the public as a result - cutting to commercial while a bunch of grown-ups say "what the gently caress were you thinking talking about this, what are you even talking about, never bring this up again, we're here for the hot goss".

I kinda hope it's somehow played straight and everyone believes them because the alternative is depressing. I always hated the sinking "no one believes us, we're on our own" feeling in YA media growing up. But that's personal bias, and in general I trust whatever Mary is going to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also the whole "matrix says no" thing going on, too.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 22, 2023