Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Also, make sure you take the Waterworks express at least once. It was pretty fun realizing what was happening when I stumbled on it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

HPanda posted:

Also, make sure you take the Waterworks express at least once. It was pretty fun realizing what was happening when I stumbled on it the first time.

The Took Shortcut?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can you take a canonical shortcut to the foundation of stone as well? I can't remember.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you take a canonical shortcut to the foundation of stone as well? I can't remember.

The gandalf route?

Don't think so, but you can jump down the well that Pippin and Merry got yelled at for loving around with.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
you get a nice title for it "Well-Travelled", which is worth having

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Evendim was a real slog, way too much running between Tinnudir and Ost Forod and that camp in the northwest, but Annuminas was fun for as long as Orchalwe was running around with me.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i don't remember much about evendim but meeting my first ent was pretty neat

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Kaysette posted:

i don't remember much about evendim but meeting my first ent was pretty neat

hooooooooooom

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Everyone always dogs on Forochel for all the running around you have to do, but I love doing that zone when I level up a new character. I love how the reputation armor looks. I'm a sucker for frozen wasteland and desert wasteland zones I guess. I do drink mithril coins like water when I do that zone to teleport to all the quest NPCs though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The gandalf route?

Don't think so, but you can jump down the well that Pippin and Merry got yelled at for loving around with.

Yeah that one. I can never remember if I took the jump there (I've definitely taken the waterworks express) but if it doesn't give you a shortcut that's a missed opportunity.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah that one. I can never remember if I took the jump there (I've definitely taken the waterworks express) but if it doesn't give you a shortcut that's a missed opportunity.

The bridge is just a certain death drop. No title either, just a discovery deed.

I like that you can go visit the Balrog though, even if the route is a little out of the way.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I actually quite like Evendim :shobon: Pretty mountainy lake, neat ruins, a chill Ent. And that hedged-in hobbit village just west-ish of Oatbarton wins #1 for "spots in Middle Earth I'd love to live in" even though the quests there are kinda tedious.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

I actually quite like Evendim :shobon: Pretty mountainy lake, neat ruins, a chill Ent. And that hedged-in hobbit village just west-ish of Oatbarton wins #1 for "spots in Middle Earth I'd love to live in" even though the quests there are kinda tedious.

Evendim is visually great, but they could probably cut the amount of filler quests down by like 50%. Annuminas was a great finish to the zone, too bad you have to spend so many hours killing bandits and ghosts in <Generic Ruins> before getting there.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Adding to that, Evendim was a truly draining experience before they added all the fast travel options.

Boats? Nope. Swim across the drat lake for the sixth time.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
The quests there have 3 levels of "I don't trust you, help these 3 people" which is insane.

My favorite part though was "Talk to this Blue Lady who holds the item Aragorn needs to remake his sword" and she is on the slap edge of the map with no path to get to her besides SWIM.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Diabetic posted:

The quests there have 3 levels of "I don't trust you, help these 3 people" which is insane.

My favorite part though was "Talk to this Blue Lady who holds the item Aragorn needs to remake his sword" and she is on the slap edge of the map with no path to get to her besides SWIM.

there's a lot to love about this old game but every few years when i think about leveling a new character i remember stuff like this then i don't :(

are the newer 1-50 zones from "before the shadow" better about wasting time and grinding? i should see if i have enough points for it. might be fun to go through those, yondershire, the angle(?).

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Kaysette posted:

there's a lot to love about this old game but every few years when i think about leveling a new character i remember stuff like this then i don't :(

are the newer 1-50 zones from "before the shadow" better about wasting time and grinding? i should see if i have enough points for it. might be fun to go through those, yondershire, the angle(?).

Not entirely sure I haven't bought that yet, I'm just trying to get to Moria at the moment.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Yondershires great if you love hobbit poo poo cause it’s a lot of that. Only like 3 levels worth though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I'm now on the quest of Tomb of Elendil, which is apparently a total different instance than Ost Elendil. I don't see it listed there in the lists of instances on the instance finder, or am I just blind?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Drone posted:

I like it as well but without fast travel it took forever to finish that zone.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the new update sounds like its going to have some good poo poo, like this revamp of Elrond's House in Rivendell:

sorry for reddit link but it has pictures

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/11qax57/last_homely_house_screenshots_from_bullroarer/

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the new update sounds like its going to have some good poo poo, like this revamp of Elrond's House in Rivendell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/11qax57/last_homely_house_screenshots_from_bullroarer/

Just finishing up in that area before the change I feel kinda lucky that I did. The new area looks great, but nice I got to see it before the overhaul.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Diabetic posted:

I'm now on the quest of Tomb of Elendil, which is apparently a total different instance than Ost Elendil. I don't see it listed there in the lists of instances on the instance finder, or am I just blind?

Tomb of Elendil is not in the instance finder. The instance is started from Calenglad at Tinnudir.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Tomb of Elendil is not in the instance finder. The instance is started from Calenglad at Tinnudir.

Right, I have that and I already went in, it says "Find a Fellowship to help you out on this one" and that's why I was asking if it was there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gotta go old school and find some dudes the old fashioned way.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Demon Of The Fall posted:

looks nice, glad every different door is not longer a zone change thing

i do have enough points for "before the shadow"! might need to make a new hobbit...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kaysette posted:

looks nice, glad every different door is not longer a zone change thing

i do have enough points for "before the shadow"! might need to make a new hobbit...

the new zones are definitely worth it, if for nothing else than to not have to do bree/shire/ered luin for the 15th time. I'm playing until the next Dark and Darker playtest, I started a new stout axe runekeeper and a hobbit burglar and am having tons of fun with both.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Gotta go old school and find some dudes the old fashioned way.

It was nice how the free stuff during the last anniversary included the level 105(?) and 120 items. I ended up making a couple alt accounts to mess around with high level classes on and now if I ever level an alt I can use a level 120 beorning to bulldoze any content like that, and a 120 hunter to move them around.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Diabetic posted:

Right, I have that and I already went in, it says "Find a Fellowship to help you out on this one" and that's why I was asking if it was there.

It’s a group instance but pretty easy to solo once you outlevel it a bit.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I love Evendim but I can't find the drat boars, so I keep abandoning and restarting the quest when the timer is about to run out

no, not really

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

It kills you, but there's a hidden deed for falling to your death in the abyss in every Moria zone. Gives the "Blind Leaper" title.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Ages ago (about a decade ago, according to my account information), I bought the 4-pack of expansions for this game, but never got out of the base Eriador content on my Warden. Now I'm back and trying a Lore Master. I'm enjoying it so far as a chill experience to just kind of zone out with but uh, how is red-line lore master actually supposed to be played? For context, here's what I've been doing:

Keep up Wind Lore
Keep up Burning Embers
Lightning Strike on cooldown
Power of Knowledge when Lightning Strike is on cooldown
Fill with Wizards Fire when both are on cooldown
Sticky Gourd sometimes? Not really sure where this goes

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly LM are probably one of the most boring classes in landscape at the moment, they need some sort of overhaul as there is too many buttons yet you only need to press maybe 4 when fighting. You basically spam wizards fire.

I started a burglar and a runekeeper recently and both have been much more enjoyable. You should try a yellow RK if you wanna really shoot lightning

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Hey now, the LM gets a very handy stunning lightning bolt!

You're right, though. They desperately need a skill unifying overhaul.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
its a shame, as they have the best spell casting animations of any caster, and beating things with a staff is still cool

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Any wizard who wields a goddamn sword by default is a-ok in my book.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I love my loremaster but yes, I’d like about 50% fewer abilities. Every time I come back from a 1-2 year break I forget what most of them do, and only about 5 of them are needed for collecting bandit asses.

For a time, leveling with the pet spec and bog lurker was the way to go for landscape but I’m out of touch on the current state of things.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My best experience with Loremaster is that as soon as I unlocked lightning storm, I used it on some random mob to see what it did. Didn’t know it, but it happened to be standing next to one of those breakable trees in the new newbie zone, so the first time I called down a big bolt of lightning, it made a nearby tree explode.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Big changes for captain and warden

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/...mibextid=tejx2t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
It remains to be seen how much the Warden changes actually matter, because the biggest enemy of that particular class is lag.

At least Brawlers can get gauntlets from weapon vendors now. How long did that take?