Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Why is 5/16 such a common bolt size? Is that sort of the "we definitely need 1/4", but that extra 1/16th of an inch gives us the safety margin where it's safely overkill"? Or is it just the minimum size where steel has a useful shock load and won't rust through in five years

5/16" is a quite a bit bigger than 1/4".

That's the reason. 65% strength increase.

Strength goes up with the square of diameter, and cutting threads makes the ratio even larger.

e: If you're asking why you personally see so many of a particular size bolt, that's probably just bias from the size of the machines you work on. Car mechanics think everything uses M6. Train mechanics probably wonder why everyone loves 1" bolts so much.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Then you run into limited design space and start going, " well maybe I need cobalt bolts."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Invalido posted:

Function is everything in this case, I care little if any for pretty. The stub from where the tab was is useless so it's coming off regardless. I'm reluctant to weld cast iron unless I absolutely have to, but an alternative to brazing on a new tab would be to mill a clean surface on the side with the broken tab and drill/tap some holes into the body of the vise and bolt on an L-shaped bracket instead of a tab. Come to think of it I have some beefy square steel stock that could be milled into this and I wouldn't have to buy anything at all so maybe this is the easiest way forward. (also I have done very little brazing of any kind, and never in anything this substantial, or any cast iron at all so I'm not super confident in my abilities here)

Symmetry between the holes that bolts the vice to the drill press table would be nice of course but not crucial. The vise is old and well used but it was bought dirt cheap since it's non-functional. Any repair that can put it back in service is fine, even if it's sort of destructive.

Yeah that sounds like a plan. For reference the holes on my 6" vise are not arranged in an exact square, I think as long as you have them reasonably spaced you won't notice any difference. Drilling a hole into a base and then holding it down with an L bracket or something sounds like less effort and less risk of a brazed join cracking later.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Doing some machining, looks like my repair might actually work once it's all done. Still more features to turn and another part before one piston is done. But the two tapers align beatifully and solidly

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Also, anyone want to recommend a good insert for cutting internal threads on a smaller lathe (SB9 size). I don't think I've yet made a good thread with the chinese threading tool and inserts. It flexes a lot and the tool breaks a lot and it just leaves me frustrated. For larger internal threads I made my own boring bar and ground my own cutting tool from HSS. This actually worked relatively well for me. But those chinese threading inserts so far have been a waste of time. I'd be better of going HSS, which I might unless there's some good carbide insert options I might afford. I would benefit from a solid carbide bar I believe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also, anyone want to recommend a good insert for cutting internal threads on a smaller lathe (SB9 size). I don't think I've yet made a good thread with the chinese threading tool and inserts. It flexes a lot and the tool breaks a lot and it just leaves me frustrated. For larger internal threads I made my own boring bar and ground my own cutting tool from HSS. This actually worked relatively well for me. But those chinese threading inserts so far have been a waste of time. I'd be better of going HSS, which I might unless there's some good carbide insert options I might afford. I would benefit from a solid carbide bar I believe.

You'll probably see better gains from a stiffer bar than anything with the inserts. If you're not doing production scale work and have the skills to roll your own HSS that's probably the best way to go

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I meant bar + type of insert combo if one is available.

ALSO! I did the external thread and that broke too, then I dropped the screw that holds the insert into the chip pan and I can't find it. Fuckit....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For some reason our shop has an enormous quantity of Rustlick WS-5050 coolant in the storage room. Enough to last us like a decade. I'm using it on everything I can think of but the supply never seems to deplete.

The students in another class have a project involving a whole lot of threading and they go through copious amounts of Tap Magic. I've never used Rustlick for tapping, but would it be a reasonable alternative to Tap Magic if used full-strength? Or what sort of dilution ratio would be about correct for manual threading of 1/4" mild steel rods?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

For some reason our shop has an enormous quantity of Rustlick WS-5050 coolant in the storage room. Enough to last us like a decade. I'm using it on everything I can think of but the supply never seems to deplete.

The students in another class have a project involving a whole lot of threading and they go through copious amounts of Tap Magic. I've never used Rustlick for tapping, but would it be a reasonable alternative to Tap Magic if used full-strength? Or what sort of dilution ratio would be about correct for manual threading of 1/4" mild steel rods?

It will work just fine, dilute per whatever Rustlick recommends for tapping, maybe a bit more. I think Tap Magic is bullshit for most things. Machining centers run all day long drilling and tapping and don't switch over to some magic bullshit oil for the tapping. I'll use way lube, spindle oil, a spray of wd, some saw wax, just something to lube it up a bit.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used to use whatever oil I had close* for drilling and tapping, now I use wax. Anything is better than trying to ram it in there dry.

*Don't use gear oil, it smells worse when it gets hot.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I really liked Tricool MD1. Made for the misting system we used on the trak, but it did what we needed for everything else. Plus it smells like clean puppy even when it's smoking

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Good news! I used an HSS endmill for the first time today. It went slow as poo poo.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dance Officer posted:

Good news! I used an HSS endmill for the first time today. It went slow as poo poo.

I guess it’s not technically metalworking, but HSS endmills are often better on a bunch of plastic applications!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I used one the other day to machine some cast iron! It was indeed slow but it worked just fine. Carbide is overrated.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

For better or worse, I finally ended up ordering an import mini lathe. After hemming and hawing for a year or so, and watching what I think might be every relevant video on YouTube from every machinist who owns one, I came to the conclusion that I might as well Just Do It™. Ended up getting a Vevor 8x32 with the 850 watt motor. I've already resigned myself to the possibility (or probability) that it's going to need some work before it really... well, works... but I got a pretty good deal on it between coupons and credit card rewards and I don't mind throwing some extra money and elbow grease at it as necessary. Unless it turns out to be a complete lemon, hopefully I shouldn't have too much to worry about beyond the common adjustments and upgrades.

Thankfully I also have access to a full machine shop at work, with real big boy tools and the real machinists who operate them. A couple of them have been cheerleading this purchase since the first day I started talking to them about it last year, and they're ready and willing to help with anything I might need. That's a nice bit of luck there.

It's supposed to be along sometime in the next couple of weeks, and it's probably going to take some time after that to really get the workspace set up and the machine in place. Will share trials, tribulations, and hopefully successes as I'm able.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I used one the other day to machine some cast iron! It was indeed slow but it worked just fine. Carbide is overrated.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. HSS will work for a lot of materials on a manual machine, but trying to do some serious milling on a CNC with something like stainless with a HSS cutter is not something I would want to be doing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

Carbide is overrated.

He said wearing oily coveralls and smoking a cigarette while sweating over his Bridgeport

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

He said wearing oily coveralls and smoking a cigarette while sweating over his Bridgeport

Mom said you’re not allowed to make fun of me on the internet anymore >=(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CarForumPoster posted:

You say this as if you intended an insult?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

it's an oily shop coat and a south bend, thank you very much

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I saw this and now you have to too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

I've purchased some import V blocks and run into that. The hole spacing for all base holes was different. The only thing I could guess is they hand marked the hole location and some poor person on a drill person just eyeballed it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

honda whisperer posted:

It's offsetting so it can only be installed one way :haw:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Is that a 1.12 - 2.37 - 3.15 block?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's actually very flat and square and matched up to its friends. Just one drunk hole.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

honda whisperer posted:

nice, a brutalist ocarina!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

fins posted:

nice, a brutalist ocarina!

Let me guess, it only plays metal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Watch Adam Savage gently caress around with a lathe and not really know what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98MCz9gQaiE

To his credit, he admits right up front that he is new to this sort of metalworking and that it will be a learning experience. He does get a nice result in the end. But there are a bunch of places where I was grumbling "that's not how you do that" and several aaaaaaaaaa moments. Skip to 21:30 for instance

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
His more recent videos aren't much different. loving around without a clue about what he's doing, luckily for him without finding out when it goes really wrong. It's quite frustrating really, he clearly has the money for all that equipment and yet continues to gently caress up even the most basic safety poo poo (grabbing swarf on a running lathe with your hands, really?), or abuse his tools instead of using the right one for the job (using an expensive as gently caress vice to press a broach).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know relatively little about metalworking and machining but I see that all the time in his vids. Like when he put out 3h of videos about his super precise reference surface and gauge blocks and then did a thing where he decided to make a whole roll of aluminium foil into a ball and used his reference block as a surface to pound that stupid foil. Like what the gently caress are you doing?

His videos about shop organization tend to be pretty good though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

His more recent videos aren't much different. loving around without a clue about what he's doing, luckily for him without finding out when it goes really wrong. It's quite frustrating really, he clearly has the money for all that equipment and yet continues to gently caress up even the most basic safety poo poo (grabbing swarf on a running lathe with your hands, really?), or abuse his tools instead of using the right one for the job (using an expensive as gently caress vice to press a broach).

IIRC he had a kinda nasty accident on a lathe and posted about it sometime.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not new. Years ago he would be like making replica star wars stuff in his shop and be spraying spray paint all over the place with zero PPE. He's a fun guy and I loved mythbusters but every one of his videos should come with a disclaimer that he's got no interest in protecting himself or his guests from toxic substances or injury and also does not bother to learn how to do things from an expert before trying them out and one of these days he's going to be involved in a degloving accident that hopefully we won't have to actually watch.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Degloving? He'll be lucky to have a degloving incident as a wake up call if this video is anything to go by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XffkqfymSXc

The tl;dw is that he gets 2x 5 ft diameter steel plates spinning at a few hundred rpm and has laughable safety equipment and procedures. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw that video, it's bonkers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's another one where he uses his calipers in a way that is...well it's not strictly wrong, but it sure isn't right either, and it made me irritable when I saw it. Then he did it twice more.

(11:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6qbm7uzsc&t=705s

He says near the beginning that he only trusts his calipers to .010 or .015. Okay, sure, a caliper isn't a micrometer, but like drat dude you've got a set of Starretts. You can definitely do better than .015 with those if you use the proper technique. lol

Here's the one where he explains how he nearly did get a degloving injury by being foolish with the lathe (he tried to wipe down the spinning part with a rag)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGnyaR2B7s

To be clear, I think he's a great guy who is 100% earnest in his love for making cool stuff and working with cool tools in cool shops. Mythbusters was awesome and represented some of the best televised science education (yes, I said it) of all time. I'd love to hang out with him while he babbled about whatever cool poo poo he was into in that moment.

But I also cringe at the hackiness of some of his work. Just steamrolling ahead with his first idea, seemingly unaware that there are centuries of knowledge about how to do these things properly. Trial and error is a good experience to a point, but you don't have to rediscover everything yourself. Like it would have taken him a couple of hours of watching This Old Tony to know how to chuck his part so that it doesn't spin out and how to advance with the compound rest so the tool doesn't squeal.

And there is no excuse for the lack of safety precautions. People will see him doing dumb poo poo like touching a freshly machined metal part while it's still spinning in the lathe, assume that it's fine because Adam Savage was doing it, and they'll slice their hand open or worse. It's one thing to work foolishly on your own, but if people see you as an expert and an educator and you're putting this stuff in public, you need to be better than that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 20, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

stranger danger posted:

Degloving? He'll be lucky to have a degloving incident as a wake up call if this video is anything to go by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XffkqfymSXc

The tl;dw is that he gets 2x 5 ft diameter steel plates spinning at a few hundred rpm and has laughable safety equipment and procedures. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw that video, it's bonkers.

I work in a building with 1m x 1m centerless grinding wheels and screamed out loud at this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So has there been a watershed moment in improvement in safety since like, I dunno pick a date, 1980?

Seems like everyone my parents age (now 70) and older just grew up with "you do it how you do it, if you lose a finger, that's your problem" but on the other end of the spectrum you have the just-turned-18-yo kids who probably saw the "guy getting sucked into the industrial lathe via his shirt sleeve and turned in to sausage" when they were 12, and countless other grotesque gore survailence footage that probably should be age restricted to some degree, and those 18 year olds seem to at least be aware of, or attempting some level of PPE.

The comments for any DIY video these days, half of them are the OP getting dragged for all sorts of sketchy safety stuff.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I blame leaded gasoline.

Adam Savage is an amusing fellow for sure, but on some level I'm wondering whether the lifetime of prop making or if you're feeling ungenerous, bullshit artistry, where it just has to be convincing, has affected him. A plastic doodad just has to look the part on camera, but you can't bullshit spinning metal. It's just wildly irresponsible.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

In the world of theatre and special effects one is often asked to make things nobody has ever made before, with a shoestring budget, that have to look good from 15’ away and look good once. Reliability and durability are, with some exceptions, not very high up the priority list whereas speed and cost are. It’s definitely a much more experimental approach than machining or manufacturing where there is an established best practice to do something. I remember in college having to make a 15’ tall atom bomb that someone had to be able to sit on, had to be moveable by two people but couldn’t have wheels, had to be built in like 3 days, with budget of like $5. I asked a professor what the ‘right way’ to do that was and he said basically ‘well, probably nobody has ever had to make this exact thing before so there isn’t a ‘right way,’ you’ve just got to make one up.’

That’s definitely the world Adam Savage comes from and yeah, it definitely leaves people who know the ‘right way’ to do something scratching their heads in bemusement and/or frustration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hadlock posted:

So has there been a watershed moment in improvement in safety since like, I dunno pick a date, 1980?

Seems like everyone my parents age (now 70) and older just grew up with "you do it how you do it, if you lose a finger, that's your problem" but

There isn't a single watershed Day People Decided To Be Safe, but there have been countless watershed Day That Thing Happened And Now We Don't Do That Anymore throughout history. The more of those we have, and the more changes we make as a result, the safer things become.

I would put money down that every single safety regulation in modern society eventually goes back to a lesson written in blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FWIW people look at me like I’m the weirdo when I wear a respirator while running MDF/wood jobs so there’s plenty of unsafe folks out there still!