Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

-you know what im just gonna redo it altogether its hosed-

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Looks like textures.com has changed their pricing and no longer offers free credits a day. This is a little frustrating because I was using this as a resource for students to practice with creating textures from images. Does anyone know of any good resources for this? I know of pexels.com. Are there any others?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I'm trying to render babies first animation in blender, and this is my first time switching cameras mid animation.

Most of it is working well, but there is one sequance that is rendering black apart from a slight glow from an emmsion texture - the odd thing is, later in the scene the same camera in the same place works fine.
I've tried replacing the light, but that doens't seem to do anything - is there a setting I'm missing? I've googled and can't see anything that applies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bs9JwyDfUUKoFjK7aC8Km3Qiw7cdbLXX/view?usp=share_link

Here is a link to the file, the problem is at frame 291.

Worse things worse I can recreate it in another file, but I'd like to see if there is a fix I can learn!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I had a look at the file and nothing seems to render anywhere. Not dark, but the frame renders in 0 seconds and is empty (in blender 3.4.1)
At frame 291 the camera and alien guy are halfway up the tunnel but there doesn't seem to be a light anywhere near them? There is a light parented to 'Lamp' that seems to be flying way outside the tunnel.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

So I'm trying to render babies first animation in blender, and this is my first time switching cameras mid animation.

Most of it is working well, but there is one sequance that is rendering black apart from a slight glow from an emmsion texture - the odd thing is, later in the scene the same camera in the same place works fine.
I've tried replacing the light, but that doens't seem to do anything - is there a setting I'm missing? I've googled and can't see anything that applies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bs9JwyDfUUKoFjK7aC8Km3Qiw7cdbLXX/view?usp=share_link

Here is a link to the file, the problem is at frame 291.

Worse things worse I can recreate it in another file, but I'd like to see if there is a fix I can learn!
I took a glance at it, nothing renders because there's no video sequence packaged with the blend file and blender is expecting one to be there with how the scene is set up currently, so I had to uncheck Sequencer under Output Properties > Post Processing at the bottom.

I have the same observations as the person above, though, even after that fix. The scene is extremely dark because there's very little lighting on the objects you're focusing on. After looking around a bit, I noticed your character is holding a lantern but it has no light. There's another identical lantern in the scene just floating around not doing anything that's actually emissive:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thanks. I'll take a look later.
That lantern was parented to the arm, I may have broken that trying to fix things.

The help Is very much appreciated.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, yes, apparently I moved all my lights when trying to fix things. (I stole the lantern light to rerender just the broken bit, but must have hit save automatically)

In good news, turning off post processing and the compositor fixed my issue - I would never have thought of that one my own! Thanks very much for putting up with someone who has leanred from youtube tutorials and trial and error! I'll make sure to post the finished video when I'm done.

It's so much work for whats going to be 2 minutes of terrible animation, but it'll be my two minutes of terrible animation!

(Note to self, when learning animation, do not pick an eight tenticled creature!)

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 10, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

(Note to self, when learning animation, do not pick an eight tenticled creature!)

Good point, we recently did some TVCs and one of those trompe l'oeil 3d animated billboards with an octopus. The rigger and animator had a slog getting thorough it, I had the easiest task of modelling it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's been 8 years since I tried to texture anything but I'm surprised to hear there's not an AI way to do flawless UV unwraps yet. I guess its the same way you'd think Paint/Roto would be automated already but nope.

https://twitter.com/axl99/status/1635807734212997120?cxt=HHwWgMDR6fSdx7MtAAAA

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember when ptex was going to be the thing. No more unwraps!
I used it on a few things years ago,, it was kind cool but wasn't very flexible in the implementation I used

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I use Rizom Spaces for my UV work and it's a loving godsend. I primarily work in C4D now and it's got seamless integration with it.

It's got tons of automation workflows in it. Works especially well if you're taking it into a painter like Substance.

I hear 3DCoat is amazing too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I feel like we will get the ability for things to handle millions of vertecies and just store that info in the vertex before we get amazing and cheap auto unwraps. I already just use vertex color for my high poly photogrammetry models over an unwrap. Just need a few more channels and we can pack in the other maps and ditch normal maps all together.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

EoinCannon posted:

I remember when ptex was going to be the thing. No more unwraps!
I used it on a few things years ago,, it was kind cool but wasn't very flexible in the implementation I used
I got the impression the thing that won out was just clicking auto-unwrap and 3D painting just the same.

I still do them manually though because some things are much easier to paint in 2D than in 3D and so I want a sane UV map. Though if I end up doing something higher poly I'll just go gently caress it and autounwrap I guess.

Alterian posted:

I feel like we will get the ability for things to handle millions of vertecies and just store that info in the vertex before we get amazing and cheap auto unwraps. I already just use vertex color for my high poly photogrammetry models over an unwrap. Just need a few more channels and we can pack in the other maps and ditch normal maps all together.
Ptex already solves the problem of needing unwraps in the first place. It's just not widely used for whatever reason. It just has a separate texture for each polygon.

e: Incidentally, what are the preferred solutions for auto-unwraps in Blender? Do some plugins do a better job than the default unwrapper?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 15, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: ^^^ we posted at the same time ha

I mean auto unwrapping already exists so I'm not sure what people are wanting above that?

If you are using a substance style painter, your solution already exists. Rizom or 3D Coat will do a mosaic unwrap and that's it... done. When you paint it'll be seamless.

If you are doing manual texture creation then you can only go so far with any automated anyway because only you are going to know your preferred layout.

But seriously the dedicated UV apps out there will blow your mind with how much better UV unwrapping already is versus built in stuff in your favorite DCC.

They also have great features like topo matching and stacking. For instance, I had an old timey phone prop for a real-time app (so everything had to be low poly and optimized af).

There were a lot of brass rivets, but they were all going to use one little space on the texture for efficiency. With just one button press Rizom finds them, aligns them and stacks them in a split second. It's amazing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When I make "game ready assets" with photogrammetry, I still manually unwrap my cleaned up assts because I usually have to fix the texture in certain areas. Sometimes its easier to pop that sucker into photoshop and clone stamp the hell out of it.

Edit: While we are on this topic, I am moving into Blender. What are some good auto unwrapping options for me? Lets imagine I have to unwrap a 100k tri statue and it has to be nice because I have to fix things on the material.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

When I make "game ready assets" with photogrammetry, I still manually unwrap my cleaned up assts because I usually have to fix the texture in certain areas. Sometimes its easier to pop that sucker into photoshop and clone stamp the hell out of it.

Oh man I'd def be using Substance for this if you can afford it. It's pretty awesome. It's also got great engine-specific texturing packing automatically built in!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I already use Substance (I bake vertex colors from my high end onto my lower poly models) The issue is sometimes I don't get a great capture and areas will be "really hosed up" and it can be easier to fix the normal map and base color in painter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Edit: While we are on this topic, I am moving into Blender. What are some good auto unwrapping options for me? Lets imagine I have to unwrap a 100k tri statue and it has to be nice because I have to fix things on the material.

I know you're probably looking for free with Blender, but Rizom does have a Blender bridge!

https://www.rizom-lab.com/

The way the Bridge works (at least with C4D) is that you just have a button in Blender that, when clicks, opens Rizom automatically and loads whatever model you had selected. You unwrap and then when you hit ctrl+s it closes Rizom and the model in your scene automatically has the UVs applied. It's very seamless and smooth.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

I already use Substance (I bake vertex colors from my high end onto my lower poly models) The issue is sometimes I don't get a great capture and areas will be "really hosed up" and it can be easier to fix the normal map and base color in painter.

I guess what I mean is that, in my workflow, I'd just use Rizom to do a mosaic unwrap (which is geared towards photogrammetry) and then use Substance from there. Should fix any really hosed up areas.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

$35 a month is a little steep for me to pay for unwrapping tools (I also look for things I can teach my students and I wouldn't want them spending that money)

The hosed up-ness comes from the bake because the area didn't capture well or I couldn't physically capture part of it.

Edit: Here's one of the projects I'm a part of!: https://sketchfab.com/ncmaexplore

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

$35 a month is a little steep for me to pay for unwrapping tools (I also look for things I can teach my students and I wouldn't want them spending that money)

The hosed up-ness comes from the bake because the area didn't capture well or I couldn't physically capture part of it.

It's got a $15/month indie license. If you do any decent amount of unwrapping on a regular basis it can make up it's monthly cost in less than a single day with the time it will save you.

But I get it. I've asked in some slacks to see what the best Blender option is.

Maybe I'm still not understanding the hosed-up-ness, but an unwrap and paint in substance should fix it. Not sure how manually unwrapping and painting would fix it but using auto-unwrapping and Substance wouldn't?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 15, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Since we're only concerned about base color / normal for 99% of the items, It can be faster for me to fix them in photoshop if its really wonky than trying to use clone / paint / project tools in Substance. I need a nicer unwrap to do that.

How well do the moasic unwrap work with Unreal's nanite or LODing in general? That would be my other concern.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For UV Packing in Blender, I've been really impressed with UVPackmaster: https://glukoz.gumroad.com/l/uvpackmaster3
It's $45, but the number of features, and quality of packing that it does is incredible. Also, it's incredibly fast and super efficient.

For UV unwrapping in Blender, the best, free, package that I can recommend is probably TexTools: https://blenderartists.org/t/textools-for-blender/700811.
For older Max users, the name might sound familiar, because it's the same TexTools from Max, ported over to Blender. Lots of great features and tools at a great price (which, again, is $0)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've gotten both of those ones already. I am impressed with UVPackmaster. I was using Maya LT but I am done with Autodesk and their stupid pricing.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Not the issue Alterian hits, but with how lots of generators/filters work in Painter, having more random seams can often lead to weird edge-detect issues or tiling problems on pattern-based materials.

I’ve mainly noticed this on convex surfaces like rivets/domes and such, where an auto map may split the rounded top face like 5 ways. Then, adding something like metal edge wear will often pick up those interior seams, leading to lots of careful mask tweaking to minimize and fix.

It’s never been a huge issue but it’s sorta trained me to do manual unwraps for shapes that tend to get the issue.

I’ve always wanted an unwrapper that can auto-identify primitive shapes in an asset and unwrap those according to a few standards (i.e cubes could get individual faces or the single island origami style unwrap, spheres would get either single island or split in half, etc).

I know Rizom can do primitives like this, but seemed to be only if the entire mesh was primitives - but I’m still using my 2018 beta license so it could’ve changed drastically since then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slothful Bong posted:

Not the issue Alterian hits, but with how lots of generators/filters work in Painter, having more random seams can often lead to weird edge-detect issues or tiling problems on pattern-based materials.

I’ve mainly noticed this on convex surfaces like rivets/domes and such, where an auto map may split the rounded top face like 5 ways. Then, adding something like metal edge wear will often pick up those interior seams, leading to lots of careful mask tweaking to minimize and fix.

It’s never been a huge issue but it’s sorta trained me to do manual unwraps for shapes that tend to get the issue.

Oh yeah for sure, I still manually unwrap for the most part in Rizom and then just auto-packing, etc. I was just thinking if it's mostly just base color then the mosaic unwrapping would still work fine.

I only started using Rizom since 2021 so not sure what has changed, but they have a great discord with Sam of "Digital Meat" fame running it. (If you don't use C4D you probably don't watch Digital Meat lol)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
For packing, a good free option is the imaginatively named UV-Packer. There's a version both for Blender and Max.
https://www.uv-packer.com/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Studio I work at wants to get more into stylised animation work and less vfx so I'm doing some stuff in that direction, also learning substance a bit.

Yes, I have terrible taste in music

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Elukka posted:

Ptex already solves the problem of needing unwraps in the first place. It's just not widely used for whatever reason. It just has a separate texture for each polygon.

I read that Ptex failed adoption because it ended up being a slower option when rendering scenes at scale in major projects, like any gains you got from not having to UV was lost when having to load stuff with Ptex in large scenes, so with Hollywood/games/etc continuing to use UVs it just fizzled out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Zen UV looks like another solid UV solution for Blender.

It's $25 but looks really full featured:

https://blendermarket.com/products/zen-uv

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Getting Textools and UVPackmaster in Blender have made a huge difference to me for UVing. It's gone from being a huge frustration to a pretty good experience

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just need a place to post this where people can appreciate how frustrating this is going to be: The college I teach at wants to take admin rights away from our work computers. Any time we need to update anything or run an .exe, it has to be sent to IT first to check it out and then they will give us a safe link to download it from.

I teach game development and regularly have to try and test out new tools/software/addons and our students give us executables as part of their projects.
:psyduck:

I told my department head I would rather purchase my own laptop and be responsible for maintaining it and have the school reimburse me for software than deal with this bullshit.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ugh yeah, when I work on our '2D' (aka, non-AR/VR) projects, a significant chunk of time gets spent just making sure poo poo runs on the various insanely locked down company pcs.
Oh hey, we can't use UE 5.1 because it requires a newer version of the C++ runtime and it's impossible for users without developer/admin rights to run!
No, IT won't/can't help them install it, we have to wait until the required version gets bumped up company wide.

But yeah, that poo poo just sounds like it would become maddening pretty quick. Any workaround would just result in a lot more hassle (like html/web builds) etc.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I teach 5.1. We are about to start some Quest 2 development in one of my classes and I can't get past the sign in portion of the Oculus software due to errors.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would think if you escalate that you could find an exception for your department.
The key point to make is that students deliver work as an .exe - it's like forcing other departments to get IT approval for any given word document or pdf they try to open.
If they don't play ball then you should tell them your legitimate concerns, that word docs and PDFs are just as dangerous as .exe's these days for hiding malicious code and it really is in the best interests of the school to lock down all file types for individual IT approval.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I decided to try to turn this artwork into a 3D model:

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1636879850484142081

Nowhere near the kind of quality I see from the pros in this thread, but I'm pretty happy with it. Theoretically I could have done more with it, especially around texturing, but I ran out of steam and just declared it done.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

I would think if you escalate that you could find an exception for your department.

You would think, but I have a 5k workstation that is currently a paperweight because they suddenly revoked my admin privileges years after I fought to resolve a similar situation. I can't even get IT to update a web browser so my students can load Sketchfab for viewing models. IT does what IT wants to do, and if you have a problem with that, submit a ticket.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pushing to jump through whatever hoops it takes to get admin privileges and possibly be allowed to update our lab computers. Its super cool when a piece of software updates in the middle of the semester and refuses to open without updating first. I'm looking at you Unreal 5.0

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Alterian posted:

I'm pushing to jump through whatever hoops it takes to get admin privileges and possibly be allowed to update our lab computers. Its super cool when a piece of software updates in the middle of the semester and refuses to open without updating first. I'm looking at you Unreal 5.0

I don't recall unreal ever pushing an update on you that way. That would break like every game studio pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I think if you've started an update the button in the launcher will remain a update button if it's cancelled/incomplete, but even then, that's only for hotfixes on the same major version.
But you can always start it from a project file, or from the start menu to get around that.

Never had it try to push or initialize an update itself, and major releases have to be installed manually. Sounds like someone maybe accidentally updated a project to 5.1 or something?

If UE did that we'd be super boned, since one of our main projects is on 4.26, for Quest development. (Enterprise units that haven't gotten an os update since late 2021 because Meta loving sucks.)