Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

co-opting the coop co-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

There was very recently 2 episodes of Designer Notes, one with each of the devs from ItB and FTL, it's a podcast that's a long form interview process with devs. You might really like to listen to that while you play it if you're already on your phone.
Thanks! Might very well like more than just those episodes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I'm really enjoy minute knights https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.pya.tenten.app.minuteknights

It pretty similar to the other minute games like minute quest or minute frontier. This one is a bit more of an idle game. You get a team of three people that auto fight. When a team member levels up the level up the job they are in. The job give passive that help the entire team even when you aren't in that job.

You can reset your level every 1 hours in game or 6 hours out of game. You can set the game to play even with the app closed but it requires upgrades to for to do more than just the stage you selected.

It's not the most indepth game but it is fun little idle game that doesn't count any moneys.

Ah it's been a while since i've play a minute game. Glad they kept making those. I'll give this a shot until I'm bored.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Thanks! Might very well like more than just those episodes.

Cool, in that case I'll add the person who does the podcast is actually the lead dev from Civ 5, offworld trading company, old world, etc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Cool, in that case I'll add the person who does the podcast is actually the lead dev from Civ 5, offworld trading company, old world, etc.
Whole-hearted thank you. Really liked Soren Johnson's work (to nitpick, I don't think he was involved in Civilization by 5), but Josh Sawyer talking about Ultima? Be still my heart.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Whole-hearted thank you. Really liked Soren Johnson's work (to nitpick, I don't think he was involved in Civilization by 5), but Josh Sawyer talking about Ultima? Be still my heart.

Ah you're right - he was the lead dev of IV. Glad you're enjoying.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
We also have an Idle Games Thread.https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895630

But it is mostly about Steam\Browser idlers though a bunch are also on Mobile.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You Must Build a Boat is unplayable on my S21 if I want to use bombs because it'll stutter at less than a frame per second for five or more seconds, and during that time, the game progresses and I lose enough progression to be run-ending in some cases. I'm not holding out hope since it's a phone, but has anyone else encountered this and found a fix? No battery saving activated, game booster settings set to performance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are the evolutions in Magic Survival brand new? They seem really good! I haven't played in a bit so can anyone tell me why my runs are ending at 13 minutes with a big wave of enemies?

Edit: Talking about the ones that require two specially leveled skills to combine into one super powerful one

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

explosivo posted:

Are the evolutions in Magic Survival brand new? They seem really good! I haven't played in a bit so can anyone tell me why my runs are ending at 13 minutes with a big wave of enemies?

Edit: Talking about the ones that require two specially leveled skills to combine into one super powerful one

They're pretty new. To go beyond the time limit, press infinite instead of play when you select a level.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the heads up, it didn't used to be like that, right? I thought the rounds ended at 30-45 minutes so I kept using the Play option instead of infinite.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Yes the regular vs infinite mode is new

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I noticed another new Android port of an older Roguelike title in the new releases last night, game called Dungreed that I had never heard of before but has been on Steam and other platforms for a while now and has pretty good reviews overall. I picked it up and it has a nice auto-attack feature for the mobile controls you can enable so you really only need to focus on moving around. I only played like 15 mins before falling asleep last night but I liked what I saw of it so far for a flat $5 with no IAP's or ads that I can see.

I browse the top new releases list a couple times a week to check for new stuff like this and it's crazy how many of the free titles on that list have ASMR in the title?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

explosivo posted:

I browse the top new releases list a couple times a week to check for new stuff like this and it's crazy how many of the free titles on that list have ASMR in the title?

I don't know which is worse. Looking for good games/apps on Google play / apple app store or trying to find something that isn't garbage on Amazon

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

explosivo posted:

I noticed another new Android port of an older Roguelike title in the new releases last night, game called Dungreed that I had never heard of before but has been on Steam and other platforms for a while now and has pretty good reviews overall. I picked it up and it has a nice auto-attack feature for the mobile controls you can enable so you really only need to focus on moving around. I only played like 15 mins before falling asleep last night but I liked what I saw of it so far for a flat $5 with no IAP's or ads that I can see.

Dungreed is a fantastic PC game so glad it translates well to mobile. If you're curious, DangerouslyFunny played quite a bit of it. https://youtu.be/N2mZ6Ebucdg

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can anyone recommend a roguelike / permadeath sort of game where get to loot things but you can also bring stuff across runs (not permanent upgrades but like a cool gun or a sword you found in the last run). Also lots of roguelikes tens to be pretty long so I never finish them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WaltherFeng posted:

Can anyone recommend a roguelike / permadeath sort of game where get to loot things but you can also bring stuff across runs (not permanent upgrades but like a cool gun or a sword you found in the last run). Also lots of roguelikes tens to be pretty long so I never finish them.

Shiren the Wanderer lets you chucka limited amount of items in the bank to do that but I don't think there's a native phone version of any of them

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

WaltherFeng posted:

Dungreed just came out recently, but seems to kinda be heading in the direction you're talking about. I would probably call Raspberry Mash kinda similar to what you're describing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WaltherFeng posted:

Doesn't have carryover stuff, but Dicey Dungeons I like because the runs are pretty short and are more or less meant to be beaten - each character in the game has a number of chapters associated with them that get unlocked as you beat previous chapters, so you don't have to beat every single thing in a single run, just each chapter.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Universal Paperclips doesn't run in the background and uggggh why

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Picked up Forward: Escape the Fold for a cool $2 and really digging it so far. The artwork on the cards is very nice. Feels polished as hell and not an IAP in sight.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
And another one I played bites the dust.
Rest in Peace Echoes of Mana (until may 15th), that series is never going to catch another break :(

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

i am a bit late too the party but i found out I loooove games like cook serve delicious, are there more game like this for android?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Burger Shop 1 and 2 come to mind.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I replayed Guild of Dungeoneering recently. What else is out there with a similar style and dark sense of humor?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Silius posted:

Isle of Arrows

I picked this up today and have been having a lot of fun. Rougelike tower defense with tile placement. Really fresh ideas.
Had an itch to play tower defence. Haven't had a mobile one since the first gen iPod Touch. So I searched the thread and found this recommendation from November.

I'm really enjoying it! I thought the isometric visual style was evocative of a lot of favourite mobile games ... then I realised it's a solo project by the director of Hitman & Lara Croft GO :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Madness/Endless is a pretty rad game that almost nobody has bought apparently, it took me watching the video on the store page to really get an idea of what the hell it was because the pictures and description don't really tell you much. It's sorta like Hotline Miami but you clear rooms by swiping in a direction which sends your character rocketing in that direction, killing whatever you hit. You can change directions mid lunge and tap and hold to bring up a slowmo line to assist while you are moving but once you get good you can quickly swipe without aiming and bounce around killing everything quickly in a room before moving onto the next and doing the same. When you finish a level it shows you a neat visualization of the path your guy took too which I thought was cool. Apparently there's roguelike elements (of course) although I've only played a few levels of this so far so I can't really speak on any longevity.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Limbus Company, the new gacha RPG by Project Moon (Lobotomy Corporation, Library of Ruinia) just globally released.

If you know those games you are probably already downloading it, if not, just know that these guys make really unique, unsettling, complex and fun games unlike anyone else.

At the moment Limbus Company is sitting on a 97% positive rating on Steam, so seems like they might have done it again.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Gentleman Baller posted:

Limbus Company, the new gacha RPG by Project Moon (Lobotomy Corporation, Library of Ruinia) just globally released.

If you know those games you are probably already downloading it, if not, just know that these guys make really unique, unsettling, complex and fun games unlike anyone else.

At the moment Limbus Company is sitting on a 97% positive rating on Steam, so seems like they might have done it again.

There might be a good game in there but on the phone at least everything is so tiny, dark and inscrutable that it's really not working for me. Not to mention it all being hidden under gacha bs which i can deal with but only if the game makes it worth it, and with this i just can't tell with everything in combat happening all at once with half the popups being not in English.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm thinking it sucks and needs a bunch more iteration to get to somewhere good.

The story missions are all trash filler fights that come down to rolling higher than the other team and having your characters be more powerful than the opponents, until you've charged up a special skill to take care of everything. You don't actually have much in the way of tactical input here - but you do have just enough that you have to pay attention instead of autoing through it. (There's no auto button). Boring as hell.

At the end of each chapter there's a "dungeon", which is a series of fights where your health carries over between them, some of which are the snoozefest trash fights and others which are more interesting where you get to choose where your attacks can be specifically targeted, and taunt enemy attacks, and you're supposed to use that to make things go in your favour. The dungeon also includes some nice boss fights (that'd be even more interesting if you knew the actual rules the boss worked by, probably - there's a mechanic where they start telling you all that stuff after you've already beaten the boss which is a bit ???). There's definitely potential here. The problem is that even the very first dungeon is about four times longer than it should be and really drags by the end.

The story is tedious as hell (maybe unless you've already fallen madly in love with the universe from their other games) and the loading screens are unreasonably long for something with the visual style of a flash game from 15 years ago.

And the UI is buggy as heck, and also has really baffling decisions like the character page not having anything which tells you the name of the character.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PJM sort of assumes you're in love with their world and deeply into it and willing to go Google stuff.

This is 100% true of their core fan base.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I only played a bit of Lobotomy Corp. before and I really dig the writing in Limbus Company. The combination of commonplace grotesque horror, constant misery and deep and obscured lore is pretty fresh when it comes to gaccha games. Honestly it kinda reminds me of anime Bas-Lag. The game can also be charming and funny surprisingly often, because your team is a bunch of very stupid weirdos.

However I'll echo most gameplay complaints. The everything is far more obfuscated than it has any right to be and I have no loving idea why you can't chose your targets when fighting against human opponents, when you can do it just fine against abnormalities and it makes those fights like 10 times better.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Bluestacks is installing a crypto wallet now

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueStacks/comments/11g2ott/bluestacks_just_installed_something_called_nowgg/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I had to reinstall Knotwords because it wouldn't start, and my save has been reverted to December, including my streak, monthly progress, achievements, and ooh boy has it sucked all the fun entirely out of it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Morpheus posted:

I had to reinstall Knotwords because it wouldn't start, and my save has been reverted to December, including my streak, monthly progress, achievements, and ooh boy has it sucked all the fun entirely out of it.

Lots of Android games rely on manually saving, which I never do, so there's quite a few games I've just dropped as a result.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Morpheus posted:

Never seen this one before, so grabbing it, thanks for posting about it :)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Morpheus posted:

Cynic Jester posted:

Lots of Android games rely on manually saving, which I never do, so there's quite a few games I've just dropped as a result.

This one did not, I played it for months and I had the same issue a few months back and ended up dropping it. Partially because I lost my progress and partially because I hit a puzzle with some of the most obscure words you could possibly imagine. "Jester's cap with a red stripe on it" (Coxcomb) and "Name for a Roman Catholic cap with 4 sides" (biretta) on the same puzzle. If you knew those answers, good for you, I'm sure you'd beat me at Scrabble! But I am neither a medieval Jester or Roman Catholic so yeah.. Kinda saps the fun if you have to Google to have a hope of figuring out the answer.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Vampire Survivors DLC is out for Android! I have nothing else to spend my Google Play credit on, so why not put it towards giving me more eye strain?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pocket City 2 official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVHQbj6BDO4

Wow. That's quite a bit of new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I pretty much bent Raspberry Mash over my knee and broke it, so I'm going back to Soul Knight. Most of the advice I'm seeing seems kind of counterintuitive (like, how Assassin is supposed to be a superclass but I can't get past the second boss with it, while I'm in love with the widely-panned Wizard), but I'm testing various things out to figure out what works.

Anything else of note out there in that quasi-roguelike casual action RPG world these days?