Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Serephina posted:

Replaying Subnautica finally, and decided to mod it out this time around. So, uh, is the Steam Workshop not a thing, where are all the mods, do I need to patch poo poo in manually?

No but also yes. What you do is you go to Nexus .com and look at/get the mods from there, but before that you get Mod Organizer 2 (or some other program that works) + BepInX and turn your mods on or off from said MO2. The organising program will update each mod automatically through a ID file in each mod archive that links to nexus.

The whole process when it works right is a lot like Steam Workshop but gives you a much better overview and ability to fix issues, turn off mods that are bad etc. That's the basics of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's too late at night, all I wanted was some more hotkey slots, I don't wanna sign up to another goddamn website. Maybe tomorrow. Thank you guys.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nexus and Vortex is the way, at least you won’t have to go update them manually. As someone said before though, get the new versions of the mods you’re looking for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Un-fuckin-believable.

Tried to mod up the game, didn't seem to work, but it did seem to nuke my save which then restored to a previous one with over an hour of progress lost. Flattened everything and verified/reinstalled with a transferred save file, yea I've still lost an hour which is bearable... except now the save file is hosed, takes 2x as long to load, and runs at 15fps (a new game runs smooth).

Jesus gently caress, I think I'm done, I don't need to replay the game that badly.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Hey I'm playing through this now for the first time and having a blast. Such a nice change of pace from games I usually play. I love blasting around in the Seamoth - it's just so drat maneuverable. Was kinda disappointed by the Cyclops and the Prawn in comparison. I did a mission to the Lost River with the Cylops and the Prawn but it ended up being a huge pain in the rear end - the Cyclops just seems WAY too big and the Prawn feels so limited.

I was reading a few pages back where people were sharing stories of losing their Seamoths. So here's mine.

My kids kept bugging me to show them the game, so I thought I would bring them along to help me find the missing lifepod somewhere out behind the Aurora. I figured it would be a fun little mission, following the clues.

We jump in the Seamoth and get to the Aurora stern, like it says in the clues, and of course the Reaper caught us all totally by surprise - scared the poo poo out of us to be honest. I had never seen that special animation where they grab you and stare through the front window.

I managed to jump out of the Seamoth and swim behind a rock on the ocean floor while the Reaper swam away with it. After we calm down a little I can see the Seamoth icon not too far above us, and can't see any sign of the Reaper. So we decide to risk recovering it and trying to escape. But as we swim up we see that the Seamoth had somehow clipped out of the water, and was now hovering in the air above the surface - quite a bit further up than I could reach. I start thinking of how the hell I'm going to get up there when the loving Reaper LEAPS OUT OF THE WATER grabs the Seamoth again, hovering in mid air while ripping it apart, and then janks his way back down into the water.

Pretty awesome glitch - was worth the price of a Seamoth.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Red Rox posted:

Hey I'm playing through this now for the first time and having a blast. Such a nice change of pace from games I usually play. I love blasting around in the Seamoth - it's just so drat maneuverable. Was kinda disappointed by the Cyclops and the Prawn in comparison. I did a mission to the Lost River with the Cylops and the Prawn but it ended up being a huge pain in the rear end - the Cyclops just seems WAY too big and the Prawn feels so limited.

I was reading a few pages back where people were sharing stories of losing their Seamoths. So here's mine.

My kids kept bugging me to show them the game, so I thought I would bring them along to help me find the missing lifepod somewhere out behind the Aurora. I figured it would be a fun little mission, following the clues.

We jump in the Seamoth and get to the Aurora stern, like it says in the clues, and of course the Reaper caught us all totally by surprise - scared the poo poo out of us to be honest. I had never seen that special animation where they grab you and stare through the front window.
The Seamoth/Reaper interactions are awesome. I was scared shitless when I got the initial grab animation. I was trying to press some buttons to make it stop or shoot or shock it, but all I managed to do was click my high-beams on and off, like some annoyed driver on the highway...

I have a fear of deep ocean which prevents me from going too far in the game, but this was one of the funnier/scarier interactions I had.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Serephina posted:

Un-fuckin-believable.

Tried to mod up the game, didn't seem to work, but it did seem to nuke my save which then restored to a previous one with over an hour of progress lost. Flattened everything and verified/reinstalled with a transferred save file, yea I've still lost an hour which is bearable... except now the save file is hosed, takes 2x as long to load, and runs at 15fps (a new game runs smooth).

Jesus gently caress, I think I'm done, I don't need to replay the game that badly.

You didn’t back up the save like every mod ever tells you to do? :psyduck:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Planet Crafter has kinda similar vibes to Subnautica's building and is getting consistently better with each patch, for a two person dev team they are making a lot of progress. Not as much of a sense of exploration and tense creature encounters, but a lot of garden building.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

unruly posted:

but all I managed to do was click my high-beams on and off, like some annoyed driver on the highway... sea bird being eaten by a shark and pecking ineffectually at it
I'm laughing so hard at that mental image, it's actually perfect. You can google the videos of David Attenborough narrating fledgings getting chomped on if you truly must.

Zesty posted:

You didn’t back up the save like every mod ever tells you to do? :psyduck:
I know, shame on me, I've been spoiled by Steam's workshop working seamlessly for years. loving dark ages of manual patches, jesus christ. Eventually after enough walking to and fro the frame rate fixed itself (the mods must of hosed with # of objects being loaded in?), so I'm back on track. With only 5 quickslots, I've learnt my lesson.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

unruly posted:

The Seamoth/Reaper interactions are awesome. I was scared shitless when I got the initial grab animation. I was trying to press some buttons to make it stop or shoot or shock it, but all I managed to do was click my high-beams on and off, like some annoyed driver on the highway...

I have a fear of deep ocean which prevents me from going too far in the game, but this was one of the funnier/scarier interactions I had.

Haha that would have been funny to see. You just pissed him off more!

Can you actually do anything to get him off? Surely firing a torpedo would mess you up as well?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Red Rox posted:

Can you actually do anything to get him off? Surely firing a torpedo would mess you up as well?

I think the electrical charge would work, if unloaded at full blast. Also, I think the reaper grabs at you twice, the first time doing something like 70% damage, which means two grabs (or one if you're below whatever the damage you're about to receive is) and you're hosed.

Always stay healthy and drive slowly :eng101:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The seamoth perimeter defense will make him drop you with a single tap, there's not often any need to charge up for bigger hits. I'd actually totally forgotten that it was even an option, likewise with the stasis rifle, as my memories where of them being so effective with a tap.

I just had to kill a crabsquid, because it would not just gently caress off, despite me having no lights on etc. Bloody fool, you think the first eight shocks and/or knife stabs would learn-him-some, but nope. So much for pacifism!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Never apologize for killing those things. Far too annoying/scary/ugly to live

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Serephina posted:

The seamoth perimeter defense will make him drop you with a single tap, there's not often any need to charge up for bigger hits. I'd actually totally forgotten that it was even an option, likewise with the stasis rifle, as my memories where of them being so effective with a tap.

I just had to kill a crabsquid, because it would not just gently caress off, despite me having no lights on etc. Bloody fool, you think the first eight shocks and/or knife stabs would learn-him-some, but nope. So much for pacifism!

I had one follow me into an amazingly small cave, not sure how it managed that, but when I turned around he was right there. Poor guy also seemed a bit confused - he just stared at me so I stabbed him once and he turned and ran straight into the wall behind him and got stuck. Almost felt bad for finishing him off. Almost.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Death to all crabsquids, all the time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some thoughts about my second playthrough:
  • Tried to not be too sequence breaking or metagame-y about anything. For example, after patrolling around with the Seamoth randomly, I surfaced to see the floating island visible in the distance and so I took a gander over to scan all the base parts. Didn't take any plants, to preserve progression (my first game's first base was in a narrow tube for unacceptably long).
  • First game had no seaglide due to rng, so I really appreciated it in BZ and even more back here again. This time rng screwed me on beacons of all bloody things, very "interesting" to play the game virtually blind and never able to find stuff again.
  • First time I played, I had assumed for the first few hours everything was procgen, and was flabbergasted at how beautiful it was. This time, I found out that apparently the starting pod location is random (!), and it spawned directly over the Degausi Base and about 15m from the radiation zone. Learning new stuff every day.
  • Speaking thereof, I cannot believe I played through like 2.5 of these games before realizing that your primary source of water (before plants) was supposed to be bleach, not the loving bladderfish. I am so angry at myself.
  • Bioreactors are like a kabillion times more useful than I gave them credit for. Guaranteed energy generation from Thermal is vastly overrated, a single Gravity Sphere can catch enough fish in seconds to fuel the base for multiple play sessions.
  • Lastly, I've gotten all the way to the lost river and realize all I need to do is find a few Cyclops parts (not planning on using it much tbqh) and just mine some nickle with that prawn I never built and I'm ready to enter the endgame and win. Disappointing! I've not seen the Sea Treaders, I know there's some loving meteorite crater out there somewhere, I feel there's so much more of the map I've not really seen due to the lack of aimless wandering when stuck at shallow depths when lacking tech.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Serephina posted:

Speaking thereof, I cannot believe I played through like 2.5 of these games before realizing that your primary source of water (before plants) was supposed to be bleach, not the loving bladderfish. I am so angry at myself.

Naaah. Honestly, I realised this, but bladderfish was always just easier and more convenient. By the time I moved into areas where they weren't plentiful I had desal.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Red Rox posted:

He eventually just threw me (probably misjudged the distance to a solid surface). I managed to escape, with my battered and sparking (underwater :aaa: ) Seamoth back to my base for repairs and recharge.

The second time I just took my seaglide along the surface of the water and popped up onto the ramp. You move just too fast in the seaglide for him to grab you.

I actually ended up exploring a lot of the above-water areas by basically treating my stuff as a boat rather than a submersible.

I have some deep-seated Thalassophobia. Even some of the mildly darker areas freak me out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

unruly posted:

I have some deep-seated Thalassophobia. Even some of the mildly darker areas freak me out.

Same here and it led to me finishing the game without even hitting a few areas but for a moment. Never even directly saw a crab squid, I refuse, they were never more than radar blips to me.

And that absolute reluctance to just dive in (lol) made for an incredibly compelling experience in the end, and making it through all that felt like a much more significant, personal victory. Loved it for that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Subnautica (mostly) cured by thalassophobia and made me love the ocean. It's like an incredibly safe and mild form of exposure therapy

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I have a huge issue trying to go under the island where you can't see the bottom, it's just inky blue darkness and you faintly hear a ghost leviathan.

Other than that I'm fine! Never had any issues in BZ, only that one spot of Subnautica.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pander posted:

I have a huge issue trying to go under the island where you can't see the bottom, it's just inky blue darkness and you faintly hear a ghost leviathan.

The ghost leviathan sound freaked me out the most in Subnautica. I went in completely blind and was just wandering the crater edge when I strayed too far and heard The Scream before seeing the drat thing barreling out of the void right at me :gonk:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

My brain must be broken from too many games like Skyrim, but sometimes I really struggle with not knowing which area I'm in, or a map. Maybe there's a mod for it on PC but I'm playing on Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Rox posted:

My brain must be broken from too many games like Skyrim, but sometimes I really struggle with not knowing which area I'm in, or a map. Maybe there's a mod for it on PC but I'm playing on Switch.

Use your Beacons, that's what they're for.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
It can get confusing since there are multiple Mushroom forests and red grass zones in different places.
After playing a few times I started turning pod markers back on and changing their colors for direction.
Keens pod is good for reference and dropping beacons around is handy.
If you can find beacons to scan, i've had like 3 games where I could never find a 2nd beacon to scan.
You know the Aurora is NE of your pod depending on your random spawn.

If you really get stumped, this is a handy cheat map to reference.
https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Crater_Map?file=Subnautica_Labelled_Map_Zones_and_Textures.png
I think not having an in game map is a little weird, I mean we have magic building technology but our PDA somehow cant map our surroundings.
I get how people like to map on their own, just seems weird with advanced tech though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And yes there is a map mod and it's good, but it does change the game fundamentally. Less wonder, more feelings of safety and control. I really really liked that sense of wonder I had in the early days

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's come up up before that a good compromise would be a basic set of cartography tools in-game so you can assemble a map yourself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's come up up before that a good compromise would be a basic set of cartography tools in-game so you can assemble a map yourself.

I was just going to say this. Hey, make it so your gps is completely hosed up until you do <certain fix>, and then you can self-map away.

Oh, it can't do topography or depth until you upgrade it?

Enjoy the lost river :getin:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I both love and hate horror games, but especially the ones where you can't really fight back (such as Outlast).

Subnautica tickled such an itch for me, that deep deep blue with the feeling of no bottom combined with the roars and screams of the monsters in the distance is just incredible. You can't just blast them with a pulse rifle, although I do feel like the stasis rifle provides a little too much safety.

When I first played it, I went in cold and thought the big whale/island things were reapers and so made my life far more difficult trying to navigate some of the starting zones or trying to get to the floating island. I need to come back to try this, and Phasmaphobia in VR but I'm worried I'll soil myself.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Prawned posted:

I need to come back to try this, and Phasmaphobia in VR but I'm worried I'll soil myself.

Theres a modder on the Flatscreen to VR modding discord that has made some good advancements in making the wands works.
Not sure how far he's gotten, but pretty sure its nearly there.
I still kinda prefer K&M with SN VR though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MikeJF posted:

Compromise isn't the answer here. The game doesn't have a map intentionally for a reason. No one's first playthrough should have a map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zesty posted:

Compromise isn't the answer here. The game doesn't have a map intentionally for a reason. No one's first playthrough should have a map.

Should it have any mods? About to give this a first try on my Deck and I was wondering if there was anything I want to have for my first playthrough.

Thanks!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I try to do first play throughs unmodded, to see what the devs wanted to a player to experience. Their vision, as it were.

After that though, I go loving wild :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty posted:

Lots of people draw themselves a map on their first playthrough! Tools to integrate that kind of manual map drawing into the game are all that's being suggested, not a map you can unlock or anything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Should it have any mods? About to give this a first try on my Deck and I was wondering if there was anything I want to have for my first playthrough.
I would say start without mods, but be aware that there are some great quality of life mods you might choose to add once you've experienced the "way it's meant to be played".

IMO the crafting mod that pulls from nearby inventories is a huge QoL change that doesn't impact gameplay or difficulty in any meaningful way but does save a lot of annoyance. That one I'd recommend even for a first timer, once you get far enough in that crafting starts to get annoying.

I also play with the expanded hotbar and a map, but those I'd probably skip the first time through as they do impact gameplay and make things a lot easier.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks!

I recommend no mods for a first time playthrough. Don’t look anything up. If you can’t figure out what to do next and need a nudge in the right direction, ask here for as spoiler free a suggestion as possible.

I enjoyed both games a lot and end up replaying them every year or so. Save mods for a future playthrough when you want to spice it up.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks!

The one mod I'd recommend for first timers is Easycraft on account of being an amazing QOL improvement. Other than that, play a game and change to taste during or after.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
EasyCraft is so QOL it honestly deserves to be baked into the main game, everyone should be using it.

I’m also a big fan of killing the inventory management game entirely, so advanced inventory / customized storage for me, another huge QOL but definitely can be too powerful.. but entirely your own choice. Personally I made the wall lockers in my cyclops max storage.

Installing a 2d map won’t help you at all, but I do echo the remarks on this one, learn how to navigate with beacons and you’ll never be lost. Just never leave without a beacon or two to drop.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I found a 2D map in my second attempt at the game extremely useful, even using a ton of markers I found having to work out location positions by their relative position to other locations very disorientating and having even a simple 2D map that laid out exactly where you were, where you'd been and where you hadn't been really helped me get my head around the exploration. Maybe not something to use on a first run though, it's probably worth at least trying blind. Install the craft from proximity mod though, that's just a pure QoL addition that doesn't affect the gameplay at all other than saving you crafting system busywork where you have to go back and forth between different lockers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm again at the point where I need to go deeper than 900m, and despite what others feel I'm not a fan of walking around in the prawn for long distances. So I'm gonna make a cyclops, chuck a fabricator and a bunch of resources on it, and make sure the trip's mostly one-way. The idea of having to shuffle a bunch of crap over is tiring, even thinking about it. Inventory drudgery is the worst part of the game, imo.

Also what's the thread's thoughts on spoilers? The game's been out for five years now but we still have new players trickling in, do I need to spoiler biome names and poo poo?